The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
What's it like, ergonomically, with those on there? Is it comfortable to use both, while standing in front of The River?
After using it that way for a few hours, unfortunately my bad back does not like having to bend forward so much to use the equipment on top of The River.. which sucks because it seems like such a waste of space not to use it. I also noticed that The River temperature was getting a little too hot for comfort with the added heat of the equipment on top of it, of course I could probably put a thin black board on top of the river and that would eliminate the heat problem, but I still have the back issue to deal with in bending forward. For people blessed with good backs though, I don’t think they would have a problem.

Last edited by Quantum7; 16th May 2019 at 04:56 PM..
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
Music to crush heads with eh, gotta light?
ahahah
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quantum7, no worries about the temperatures you've told me. You can put instruments on The River provided they do not dissipate heat from below

Maisonvague, I love your extract with the triple resonant filter and congratulations for the first steps of The River in the microtonal. This is a functionnality that I planned to work in the year.

I had the pleasure to meet many people during the Superbooth, maybe some of you Three days as motivating as exhausting

Mr Knoch, thank you! I'm looking forward to seeing Josie Pace's video but even without The River, I like it enough

I also had the pleasure of meeting Reptil from Gearslutz. Well, the sound of the video had a problem, but the meeting was very nice
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
After using it that way for a few hours, unfortunately my bad back does not like having to bend forward so much to use the equipment on top of The River.. which sucks because it seems like such a waste of space not to use it. I also noticed that The River temperature was getting a little too hot for comfort with the added heat of the equipment on top of it, of course I could probably put a thin black board on top of the river and that would eliminate the heat problem, but I still have the back issue to deal with in bending forward. For people blessed with good backs though, I don’t think they would have a problem.
This is a French synth. The shelf is for a nice bottle of wine, a pack of Gauloises and a giant crystal ash tray from 1977.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloran View Post
Maisonvague, I love your extract with the triple resonant filter and congratulations for the first steps of The River in the microtonal. This is a functionnality that I planned to work in the year.
Thank you! I'm really enjoying using that resonant filter with The River. It integrates perfectly. And since three voices is enough polyphony to build chords, I've still got five left for...a River-5? Or a River-4 plus monosynth?

The eight voice channels is such a brilliant design concept. I've never used an analog polysynth this way before--breaking it up into separate instruments to form ensembles. On one hand, it forces you to be more efficient with parts and voicings, but on the other, it makes you realize that eight voices can actually go a long way.

About your plans to add microtuning to The River, this is fantastic news!! I was really hoping you would do this (and even planned to ask you about it at some point). It's an ability The River should have, as it's an instrument that goes beyond traditional analog polysynths on so many levels.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

What's it like to wake up every day, go into your studio, and see this sexy synth in your home? My mind's eye wants to travel.

Thank you.

Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
What's it like to wake up every day, go into your studio, and see this sexy synth in your home? My mind's eye wants to travel.

Thank you.

This is how it looks in my studio:
Attached Thumbnails
Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer-baloran-theriver-indestudio-1.jpg   Baloran ‘The River’ Synthesizer-baloran-theriver-indestudio-2.jpg  
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Seeking advice from the more physics-inclined: I picked up the K&M Omega 18810 for the River. I also picked up the two stackers, 18811 and 18821, which allow potentially three keyboards to be stacked vertically. If the stackers are used, then the depth of the bottom tier is 400mm, or 15.7". The River is 20" deep, so there would be an overhang of 4.3", or about 20%, all off the front. If I don't use the stackers, the depth is actually a bit less (about 13.5"), but I can position the synth to be equally off the front and back so that should be perfectly stable.

My concern is that using the stackers, the River would be at risk of tipping forward.

Does this seem safe or should I be looking at another solution? For those of you who have the River in a multi-synth stand, what stand are you using?
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

This is a multi-synth track with plenty of The River goodness. I actually wrote it 30 years ago when I was just 20 years old, and always wanted to recreate it.

Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is a multi-synth track with plenty of The River goodness. I actually wrote it 30 years ago when I was just 20 years old, and always wanted to recreate it.

Fantastic! Absolutely cool!!!!!
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Uh... what have I just been watching? Kind of like Morph meets Hieronymus Bosch...

Good stuff!
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

So much fun! Great sounds and arrangement too...
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Nut

Quantum7, it's superb, rich, a real pleasure! bravo!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_synth View Post
Does this seem safe or should I be looking at another solution? For those of you who have the River in a multi-synth stand, what stand are you using?
I'm also using a K&M Omega 18810 to support my River although at the moment it only has one additional tier which isn't supporting a second keyboard but rather a Doepfer modular.

Still, I think you'll be fine with that stand. The bulk of the weight of the River is towards the back. So even with intermittent weight added to the front via the keyboard when playing, I don't think there's any risk of The River tipping over forward.

There is also no wobble, which is great. I hate keyboard stand wobble.

Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Auto Tune The River !
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhu View Post
Auto Tune The River !
Well done.

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone would do this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhu View Post
Auto Tune The River !
Simple and beautiful arpeggio!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I'm also using a K&M Omega 18810 to support my River although at the moment it only has one additional tier which isn't supporting a second keyboard but rather a Doepfer modular.

Still, I think you'll be fine with that stand. The bulk of the weight of the River is towards the back. So even with intermittent weight added to the front via the keyboard when playing, I don't think there's any risk of The River tipping over forward.

There is also no wobble, which is great. I hate keyboard stand wobble.

Wow your Photoshop skills are improving, looks almost real
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

More beautiful timbres from the River, again from Superbooth

Audio starts at around 08:17

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
Simple and beautiful arpeggio!
In fact, this simple and beautiful arpeggio is the sound from the auto-tune process.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheck View Post
In fact, this simple and beautiful arpeggio is the sound from the auto-tune process.
Exactly! Wonderful transition into a melodic song. I was mesmerized!

Can’t wait to try an AT River Jam too!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheck View Post
Wow.

Has there ever been another synth that did that so beautifully?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Wow.

Has there ever been another synth that did that so beautifully?
I know! I love tuning my The River every morning just to hear that sweet autotune melody! Tuning my OB6 is now sooooo boring now!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloran View Post
Quantum7, it's superb, rich, a real pleasure! bravo!
Hello

I’m interested in preordering one from the next production run. My emails on the contact page of the Baloran site are returning an error. Please do let me know how I can move forward with this.
Paul Kavicky
[email protected]
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Version 1.70 is online,
And a new section on the forum is for share banks (single or multi)

Friday, Saturday and Sunday, it's SynthFest, a great meeting/show/messe
in Nantes for all electronic musicians.
https://www.synthfestfrance.com/
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Meandering

A simple, guitar-like patch from The River... meandering.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Now I don't know you personally, just from your posts on GS, but I have to say it seems as if Laurent was in your head when he made this synth. How cool is that!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Very soothing! Well done :-)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
Now I don't know you personally, just from your posts on GS, but I have to say it seems as if Laurent was in your head when he made this synth. How cool is that!
I second this notion @ maisonvague . So glad you got one!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
Thanks, cramseur. I know exactly what you mean. It's amazing.

The River sounds like an electro-acoustic instrument, not an electronic instrument. It aligns almost perfectly with my own aesthetic.

I couldn't a chosen a better instrument.

(Or does The River choose the musician--like Ollivander's wands choose the wizard?)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search