The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mutable Instruments Ambika - still a contender?
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
SMR4 Ambika with adjustable poles mod (4, 2 and 1 pole).
Is that a different card, or did you modify a normal SMR4 card for it?

If the second i'd like to modify mine too
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah it's a different card, I didn't do it, Pharmasonic did.

GitHub - Pharmasonic/SMR-4-Pi: multi-slope version of SMR-4 filter

Mutable Legacy - Pharmasonic
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro View Post
If I fail to do it I may just buy a ready built version of the control board from this guy. Thankyou for posting the link.
Glad to help!
Old 3rd August 2018
Gear Nut

so I’ve been setting up a fader Fox uc4 to control the Ambika by midi cc. The midi implementation is so well done.

.... quick question: does anyone know if is it possible to change synthesis pages (the S1 to S8 buttons) by midi cc? I can’t see it in the midi cc chart. Thanks
Old 4th August 2018
Lives for gear

Don't think it is.
Old 12th October 2018
Lives for gear

I realize it’s a bit tricky to compare Ambika’s sweet spots, or what it does well to other polys but, can anyone think of a modern poly that one should consider if close to grabbing an Ambika?
Old 12th October 2018
Gear Maniac
If multitimbrality is not considered, Novation Peak perhaps? Prophet P12? Not directly comparable, of course.
Old 12th October 2018
Lives for gear

I'm going to say Modor NF-1, P12, Peak, and a Waldorf Xt. But they're all different. The Ambika sounds really sweet though, probably more hybrid or analog sounding than the others. The SMR4 filters are really euphoric sounding. It's probably the most organic synth out of the ones I mentioned. So you could consider others, but they won't be an Ambika.
Old 12th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
I'm going to say Modor NF-1, P12, Peak, and a Waldorf Xt. But they're all different. The Ambika sounds really sweet though, probably more hybrid or analog sounding than the others. The SMR4 filters are really euphoric sounding. It's probably the most organic synth out of the ones I mentioned. So you could consider others, but they won't be an Ambika.
Interesting call in the Modar nf-1. Just checking it out and hear some similar territory. Ambika is its own thing for sure but will listen further to the Modar.
The SMR4’s have the dreamy sweet mids that I tend to care about most but, Modar is seemingly a solid alt consideration.
Old 12th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
I realize it’s a bit tricky to compare Ambika’s sweet spots, or what it does well to other polys but, can anyone think of a modern poly that one should consider if close to grabbing an Ambika?
Audiothingies Micromonsta? It's all digital, but it's cheap and I've heard really good things about it.
Old 12th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfish View Post
Audiothingies Micromonsta? It's all digital, but it's cheap and I've heard really good things about it.
Yeah also curious about micromonsta. Need to listen further.

Just saw Modar’s pricing. Oops a bit outta range.
Old 13th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah also curious about micromonsta. Need to listen further.

Just saw Modar’s pricing. Oops a bit outta range.
I have both the Ambika and the Micromonsta. I think I prefer the overall sound of the Micromonsta but the Ambika's flexibility. Micromonsta is easier to understand as well IMHO
Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear

Landed up getting one fwiw & I do find the Sonics inspiring. Like quite a bit.

Remains to be seen how much I can get my head around it in use, getting around it programming wise.
My issue admittedly is I’m spread out too thin, playing guitar mainly + tracking other instruments & upkeep on an analog studio that’s grown. Sob story. Looking over the manual but a Synthesis newb here. Making some progress slowly.

Aliasing so far not a bother to me but then again, I like more midrange-y based sounds more so.
Attached Thumbnails
Mutable Instruments Ambika - still a contender?-f06e95cb-5cfa-4340-b9cd-05842521520f.jpg  

Last edited by chet.d; 26th October 2018 at 02:45 AM..
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Landed up getting one fwiw & I do find the Sonics inspiring. Like quite a bit.

Remains to be seen how much I can get my head around it in use, getting around it programming wise.
My issue admittedly is I’m spread out too thin, playing guitar mainly + tracking other instruments & upkeep on an analog studio that’s grown. Sob story. Looking over the manual but a Synthesis newb here. Making some progress slowly.

Aliasing so far not a bother to me but then again, I like more midrange-y based sounds more so.
Is that a Manther to the left of it? How are you finding it?
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro View Post
Is that a Manther to the left of it? How are you finding it?
No it’s a Ju-06.
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
No it’s a Ju-06.
Oops, saw the leds in the faders
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear

Ambika lovers, any efficiency tips you can share for a new user much appreciated. Been looking over the Manual but dang, it’s deep.
Old 26th October 2018
There is a new firmware will less aliasing...
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear

You mean this one? That's not exactly "new".
Old 6th December 2018
Lives for gear

Holly Hell ! Got an Ambika with 6x smr4 voices.
I have an OB6 and a Sq80, Analog 4 and several analog mono synths and the Ambika is just as great !
It blows my mind really that thing is so organic, warm, alive full of character.
I use it with my Oto Bam and i have been able to make awesome CS80 lead.
I have installed the YAM alternative firmware and its just perfect.
The GUI is fine, remind me of my Sq80 so didnt have any problem using it.
Its really one of the most underrated poly synth IMO.

I have one with the metal case and it was made by Sebastian from build-me-diy-synth | Shop . Btw if you are looking for a builder i absolutely recommend build-me-diy-synth Customized Shruthi-1 and Ambika synth for sale
Old 8th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietpop View Post
Holly Hell ! Got an Ambika with 6x smr4 voices.
I have one with the metal case and it was made by Sebastian from build-me-diy-synth | Shop . Btw if you are looking for a builder i absolutely recommend build-me-diy-synth Customized Shruthi-1 and Ambika synth for sale
Sebastian lives quite near me and I've bought and picked up a few things from him. Nice guy and also highly recommended by myself.

Will have to try that YAM firmware at some point
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

What do you guys think of the Futuresonus Parva? possible contender to Ambika?
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

Parva is much more hi-fi sounding by comparison. Not a contender or a replacement to Ambika.
Old 21st January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
after much careful consideration, I've decided to put mine up for sale. (in classifieds, PM me if you need more details, questions, etc).
This thread brings some nice memories.

And i still didn't built my unit. Just not enough time. So i guess I'll just sell it.

Shame on me.
Old 22nd July 2019
I recently picked up another Ambika (SMR4) and without a doubt it still sounds top-notch, even considering other polysynths that have been released in the past few years. I sold my first one a few years ago and have missed it ever since.

It's not perfect, it can be a little jagged and quirky at times, but I think that's what gives it character and helps it stand out. The SMR4 cards are absolutely perfect for this synth, combining the bright digital oscillators with a very fluid and swirly sounding filter. It's sort of like an Ensoniq SQ-80 with Roland filters and a better user interface.

After having owned two, I'll also say that if you're shopping for an Ambika, getting one with the metal case is definitely worth it (or buy the case as an upgrade). My first one had the clear acrylic case, and it was already starting to crack near some of the screw holes after just a couple of months usage. My new one has this white metal case with wooden ends, and it is so much nicer.
Old 22nd July 2019
Gear Maniac
Yeah, Adrian’s metal cases are well designed and sturdy. Much better than the acrylic ones.
Old 22nd July 2019
Well if someone wants an Ambika kit with metal case i'm giving it for the same amount. I just got not time for soldering. :(

Or if anyone knows a hungry student willing to do the soldering, let me know.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
That video sold me, and bringing the Ambika home I found it to sound like that ... but mostly sound anemic, weak and uninspiring. The build of it isn’t inspiring either. After the honeymoon phase I quickly sold it.

It isn’t that great a synth, and was far more weak spots than a good piece of gear should.
Don't blame the instrument.
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Head

Hi! Sorry to bother here, but I don't know anywhere else to ask this:
I recently bought an Ambika (smr4x6) and I have the following problem:
In several octaves, in A# and B, when applying modulation to the pitch (an LFO or pitch bend), there are some “jumps”, like abrupts silences/clicks. It happens in every voice but only in those notes. Is this a common problem? Is there something to fix in hardware or software?

Thank you for your time!
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahuelmijal View Post
In several octaves, in A# and B, when applying modulation to the pitch (an LFO or pitch bend), there are some “jumps”, like abrupts silences/clicks. It happens in every voice but only in those notes. Is this a common problem? Is there something to fix in hardware or software?
Did a quick test with my Ambika, no jumps or clicks with the bender in any a# or b notes. I have no idea what is the problem :(. It does this with internal LFO? If it would be only with bender it could be a MIDI-related issue.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search