The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mutable Instruments Ambika - still a contender?
Old 9th March 2018
Gear Maniac

joke ^^
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Dang, very lush poly stuff here after 3:10 & further in. Kinda got my attention.
Any other options to consider other that Ambika for these types of sounds?

I’m mostly a guitar person with a ju06, ms20 & some sw like bazille and phontec I like but again, curious about the rich analog poly sounds I’m hearing here.

Old 25th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
If you got seduced by that very first video when you search for the ambika, if that's the sound you're after - nothing sounds like that but another ambika.

No digital/hybrid/VA or whatever PPG will get close to this unique piece of gear.
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Dang, very lush poly stuff here after 3:10 & further in. Kinda got my attention.

I’m mostly a guitar person with a ju06, ms20 & some sw like bazille and phontec I like but again, curious about the rich analog poly sounds I’m hearing here.

That was the video that sold me
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

And me - it sounds glorious
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Me too.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

I'm still not sure why I don't have one

Is it because they are very difficult to find? Every time I decide I want one, it seems an epic adventure, so I forget about it again ....
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Trying to check into if all parts of the kit are still available as kits to build. (If one is able to or has a builder)
Otherwise, yeah just the used market.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feijai View Post
Someone different than TubeOhm? Who is German.
I ordered from hheniek48 on ebay. He has a site here:

build-me-diy-synth Customized Shruthi-1 and Ambika synth for sale

At the time he had a form setup on ebay where you could select the case, screen, filters, etc. while ordering. I don't see that up anymore, but it's worth emailing or DM'ing him and asking about it.

He did a great job on mine, good price, and shipping from the UK to the US was not an issue. The shipping price was not exorbitantly expensive and he set it up with a U.S. PSU so I didn't even need a step-up converter or anything to power it over here.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

That video sold me, and bringing the Ambika home I found it to sound like that ... but mostly sound anemic, weak and uninspiring. The build of it isn’t inspiring either. After the honeymoon phase I quickly sold it.

It isn’t that great a synth, and was far more weak spots than a good piece of gear should.
Old 26th April 2018
Lives for gear

Cannot agree with that statement at all.
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnalvl View Post

At the time he had a form setup on ebay where you could select the case, screen, filters, etc. while ordering. I don't see that up anymore, but it's worth emailing or DM'ing him and asking about it.

He did a great job on mine, good price, and shipping from the UK to the US was not an issue. The shipping price was not exorbitantly expensive and he set it up with a U.S. PSU so I didn't even need a step-up converter or anything to power it over here.
That's who I got mine from - visited him at his house a few times - super nice guy
Old 2nd July 2018
Lives for gear

after much careful consideration, I've decided to put mine up for sale. (in classifieds, PM me if you need more details, questions, etc).
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Built mine a couple of years ago... The schematics are online, just download and have the PCBs made at china or something, I believe I bought 90% of the BOM at mouser, other than that you need a PIC burner if I´m not mistaken for the firmware installing process...
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Also, best way of playing Ambika is using the VST/AU editor in a old small notebook you can get specially for this purpose:

Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Would you buy an Ambika if you already had a Microwave I and a Juno-60?
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Yes, it's different enough. I have a MWI and SMR4 Ambika with adjustable poles mod (4, 2 and 1 pole). And MWII. And Micromonsta. Lots o' wavetablin' in house EvilDragon.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Sound View Post
Would you buy an Ambika if you already had a Microwave I and a Juno-60?
Depends what you are looking for. My initial reaction would be - no.
Good points for the Ambika - 6 very configurable voices that let you do a bunch of monosynths and also a polysynth. The menu system is very shallow and quick to get around - better than the microWave, not quite as immediate as the Juno.

The sound is generally rougher than the Juno but not exactly like a classic wavetable sound. MIDI implementation is very good.

If you just had the Juno, I'd say the Ambika would be a good partner. I think if you have all 3 around, you'll use the Ambika least of the three, but if you are getting ride of the mW I, the Ambika would be good to have around.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

I don't think he's getting rid of his custom front panel MWI
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah selling those synths is out of the question

I'm buying the big programmer for the MWI from Stereoping so immediacy will not be a problem anymore.

But I still see an Ambika really cheap (520€ now) locally...Acrylic case with black pcb...Hmm...
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Go for it!
Old 12th July 2018
Deleted User
Nothing to see in regards for anything for sale.
I always find out too late.
I
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Just bought an Ambika ... quick question for the brains trust: I want to use a HOSA snake from the Ambika's six outputs to my mixer. Is it okay to use balanced cables into the Ambika, even though the outputs are unbalanced? Just want to avoid ruining the jacks or worse!

Thanks!
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

You can't ruin the jacks by doing that. It'll work.
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You can't ruin the jacks by doing that. It'll work.
Cool, thank you for confirming.
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

Just ordered my PCBs and case. Went with 6 of the 4pm cards.

Looking for BOM for Digikey if anyone has one. Thx!
Old 31st July 2018
Gear Maniac

Excellent, good luck w the build. I bought a Deckard’s Dream last week and imo the Ambika smokes it
Old 31st July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighzi88 View Post
Excellent, good luck w the build. I bought a Deckard’s Dream last week and imo the Ambika smokes it
bamboozled - please specify!
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

If anyone is looking for an Ambika with 6 SMR4 cards, let me know.
The one I had sold a few weeks ago is coming back. (Buyers remorse, huge hassle with reverb.com and PayPal).
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnalvl View Post

I know you posted this a while ago but I have been having problems getting my adafruit datadealer version of the shruthi working. If I fail to do it I may just buy a ready built version of the control board from this guy. Thankyou for posting the link.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search