Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/)
-   -   Mutable Instruments Ambika - still a contender? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1136141-mutable-instruments-ambika-still-contender.html)

midicontrol 9th March 2018 08:14 AM

jummpp
joke ^^

chet.d 24th April 2018 06:38 PM

Dang, very lush poly stuff here after 3:10 & further in. Kinda got my attention.
Any other options to consider other that Ambika for these types of sounds?

I’m mostly a guitar person with a ju06, ms20 & some sw like bazille and phontec I like but again, curious about the rich analog poly sounds I’m hearing here.

midicontrol 25th April 2018 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chet.d (Post 13277121)

If you got seduced by that very first video when you search for the ambika, if that's the sound you're after - nothing sounds like that but another ambika.

No digital/hybrid/VA or whatever PPG will get close to this unique piece of gear.

zobbo 26th April 2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chet.d (Post 13277121)
Dang, very lush poly stuff here after 3:10 & further in. Kinda got my attention.

I’m mostly a guitar person with a ju06, ms20 & some sw like bazille and phontec I like but again, curious about the rich analog poly sounds I’m hearing here.

That was the video that sold me

usedtohaveajuno 26th April 2018 12:03 PM

And me - it sounds glorious

EvilDragon 26th April 2018 02:29 PM

Me too. kfhkh

usedtohaveajuno 26th April 2018 05:24 PM

I'm still not sure why I don't have one :lol:

Is it because they are very difficult to find? Every time I decide I want one, it seems an epic adventure, so I forget about it again ....

chet.d 26th April 2018 05:38 PM

Trying to check into if all parts of the kit are still available as kits to build. (If one is able to or has a builder)
Otherwise, yeah just the used market.

Gnalvl 26th April 2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feijai (Post 12421339)
Someone different than TubeOhm? Who is German.

I ordered from hheniek48 on ebay. He has a site here:

build-me-diy-synth Customized Shruthi-1 and Ambika synth for sale

At the time he had a form setup on ebay where you could select the case, screen, filters, etc. while ordering. I don't see that up anymore, but it's worth emailing or DM'ing him and asking about it.

He did a great job on mine, good price, and shipping from the UK to the US was not an issue. The shipping price was not exorbitantly expensive and he set it up with a U.S. PSU so I didn't even need a step-up converter or anything to power it over here.

hairbow 26th April 2018 07:08 PM

That video sold me, and bringing the Ambika home I found it to sound like that ... but mostly sound anemic, weak and uninspiring. The build of it isn’t inspiring either. After the honeymoon phase I quickly sold it.

It isn’t that great a synth, and was far more weak spots than a good piece of gear should.

EvilDragon 26th April 2018 08:12 PM

Cannot agree with that statement at all.

zobbo 27th April 2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnalvl (Post 13281040)

At the time he had a form setup on ebay where you could select the case, screen, filters, etc. while ordering. I don't see that up anymore, but it's worth emailing or DM'ing him and asking about it.

He did a great job on mine, good price, and shipping from the UK to the US was not an issue. The shipping price was not exorbitantly expensive and he set it up with a U.S. PSU so I didn't even need a step-up converter or anything to power it over here.

That's who I got mine from - visited him at his house a few times - super nice guy

oldgearguy 2nd July 2018 05:47 PM

after much careful consideration, I've decided to put mine up for sale. (in classifieds, PM me if you need more details, questions, etc).

pointsource 12th July 2018 01:03 PM

Built mine a couple of years ago... The schematics are online, just download and have the PCBs made at china or something, I believe I bought 90% of the BOM at mouser, other than that you need a PIC burner if I´m not mistaken for the firmware installing process...

pointsource 12th July 2018 01:07 PM

Also, best way of playing Ambika is using the VST/AU editor in a old small notebook you can get specially for this purpose:

Soothing Sound 12th July 2018 02:08 PM

Would you buy an Ambika if you already had a Microwave I and a Juno-60?

EvilDragon 12th July 2018 02:22 PM

Yes, it's different enough. I have a MWI and SMR4 Ambika with adjustable poles mod (4, 2 and 1 pole). And MWII. And Micromonsta. Lots o' wavetablin' in house EvilDragon. kfhkh

oldgearguy 12th July 2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soothing Sound (Post 13415641)
Would you buy an Ambika if you already had a Microwave I and a Juno-60?

Depends what you are looking for. My initial reaction would be - no.
Good points for the Ambika - 6 very configurable voices that let you do a bunch of monosynths and also a polysynth. The menu system is very shallow and quick to get around - better than the microWave, not quite as immediate as the Juno.

The sound is generally rougher than the Juno but not exactly like a classic wavetable sound. MIDI implementation is very good.

If you just had the Juno, I'd say the Ambika would be a good partner. I think if you have all 3 around, you'll use the Ambika least of the three, but if you are getting ride of the mW I, the Ambika would be good to have around.

EvilDragon 12th July 2018 03:10 PM

I don't think he's getting rid of his custom front panel MWI :)

Soothing Sound 12th July 2018 03:36 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah selling those synths is out of the question :)

I'm buying the big programmer for the MWI from Stereoping so immediacy will not be a problem anymore.

But I still see an Ambika really cheap (520€ now) locally...Acrylic case with black pcb...Hmm...

EvilDragon 12th July 2018 04:20 PM

Go for it!

Deleted User 12th July 2018 04:28 PM

Nothing to see in regards for anything for sale.
I always find out too late.
I

leighzi88 13th July 2018 02:14 PM

Just bought an Ambika boing ... quick question for the brains trust: I want to use a HOSA snake from the Ambika's six outputs to my mixer. Is it okay to use balanced cables into the Ambika, even though the outputs are unbalanced? Just want to avoid ruining the jacks or worse!

Thanks!

EvilDragon 13th July 2018 02:20 PM

You can't ruin the jacks by doing that. It'll work.

leighzi88 13th July 2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDragon (Post 13417541)
You can't ruin the jacks by doing that. It'll work.

Cool, thank you for confirming.

spiderman 31st July 2018 03:34 AM

Just ordered my PCBs and case. Went with 6 of the 4pm cards.

Looking for BOM for Digikey if anyone has one. Thx!

leighzi88 31st July 2018 10:21 AM

Excellent, good luck w the build. I bought a Deckard’s Dream last week and imo the Ambika smokes it:facepalm:

Maffez 31st July 2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leighzi88 (Post 13446274)
Excellent, good luck w the build. I bought a Deckard’s Dream last week and imo the Ambika smokes it:facepalm:

bamboozled - please specify!

oldgearguy 31st July 2018 01:16 PM

If anyone is looking for an Ambika with 6 SMR4 cards, let me know.
The one I had sold a few weeks ago is coming back. (Buyers remorse, huge hassle with reverb.com and PayPal).

Sapro 31st July 2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnalvl (Post 13281040)

I know you posted this a while ago but I have been having problems getting my adafruit datadealer version of the shruthi working. If I fail to do it I may just buy a ready built version of the control board from this guy. Thankyou for posting the link.