The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tape saturator hardware? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 24th January 2017
Here for the gear

Tape saturator hardware?

hey y'all, i'm looking for a tape saturation pedal or modular or something. i'm looking for something drastic that i can run entire drum busses through for live shows. i've been using the J37 plugin, which sounds great, but id like to rid of the computer for my shows.

thanks!
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Digital, pedal - Strymon Deco
Analog, half rack - Sound Skulptor STS
Old 24th January 2017
Deleted User
+1 Strymon Deco, as well!
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Addict

Deco is really cool. Closest to the Waves J37 + Waves Reel doubler I know and quite better.
I also got a UBK Fatso which is marketed as a tape saturator but it really is a flavored stereo compressor/limiter.
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Addict

Strymon
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Strymon Deco. Would love to own one myself.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

I think you'll find a cheap overdrive or distortion pedal will surprise you. The deco does sounds nice though, haven't heard it on drums before.
Old 24th January 2017
I've always hear great things about the Sound Skulptor tape simulator. Not sure if he sells it in the kit still or just in a 500 series.

Sound Skulptor - STS : Analog Stereo Tape Simulator, Professional Audio Kits
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear
The UBK Fatso.
Old 24th January 2017
Here for the gear

thanks y'all i was looking into the Deco! ima go check it out tomorrow!
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Addict

Deco sounds awesome. I don't have one but am seriously considering it.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realmf68420 View Post
thanks y'all i was looking into the Deco! ima go check it out tomorrow!
please let us know how you find it. It gets some rave reviews, and the Strymon stuff appears to be quality across the board.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear
Zulu if you're feeling speculative
Old 24th January 2017
Here for the gear

So I tried out and then purchased the Deco. This thing is awesome! It'll definitely work for now, and I'm gonna use it for a kinds of stuff, but I still don't feel like it's as drastic as the J37. Obviously I'm not expecting to find something that sounds exactly like the J37, especially if I'm gonna be using it live. But idk, the sounds I'm able to achieve just by turning up the input on the J37 are amazing to me. I've got my JHS Twin Twelve distortion pedal running into the Deco, which definitely help, but still isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Something about the J37 gives it so much energy. I'm attaching a screenshot of my J37 settings, which I think sound amazing on drums and bass (typically programmed/electronic/sampled drums). Still, happy I copped this Deco, this thing is great.

(attaching wasn't working, but you should be able to click this link to see the screenshot)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-e3gub89PrxNWItSk1LbVZTVDQ/view?usp=sharing[/IMG]
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Guru

You have to save the image as a jpg or png to be able to attach it. The Google Drive link is a webpage, not the image itself.

Right-click, save as, upload to imgur:

Old 24th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
You have to save the image as a jpg or png to be able to attach it. The Google Drive link is a webpage, not the image itself.

Right-click, save as, upload to imgur:
Thanks! Unfortunately the site won't allow me to post images, even when quoting this. I think it's because of my newly created account.
Old 24th January 2017
Deleted User
Yeah the Deco is quality and incredibly versatile. Digital but pfff, it makes analog synths and drums sound more analog, gritty and dirty

It can do such different things that i want another one, one for the subtle tape saturation on drums and one for the 'omg this sounds just mental' thing it does for synths
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Addict

Your using ping pong delays with the Waves plugin which the Deco cant do. Try putting some delay pedal
before it, analog prefered.
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Addict
Anyone know if you can get a good sounding tape saturation (without delay) out of the RE-20?
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

I love my Deco, never used it for drums though. It sits on the stereo out of my Prophet 12, does a perfect job of rounding off that slightly brittle sheen from the top end and adding a bit of low mid warmth.
Old 8th August 2018
Deleted User
IMO, using the Strymon Deco and a Vermona Retroverb really adds shimmer to analog drums.
Old 8th August 2018
Lives for gear
The ADT Toolmod TM233 Tape SIM is amazing!

Highly versatile and a gorgeous sound. On the pricier end but worth it!

Stereo Tape Simulator TM233 v
Old 8th August 2018
Lives for gear

Old 8th August 2018
Deleted User
Does Neve still make a standalone tape simulator?
Here is a eurorack, but I have no psu, box, or any modules...

Rupert Neve Designs 542 Tape Emulator | Sweetwater
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
I used to have on a while back. It is subtle, but when you take it away you notice it's missing.
Old 9th August 2018
Lives for gear

Though it's Tube instead of Tape, the Trogotronic M277 (eurorack) is bomb AF....

Two tubes, can run as stereo or independent mono channels, etc.
Old 9th August 2018
Gear Addict

Another vote for Strymon
Old 9th August 2018
Deleted User
Would I be better off buying another Strymon Deco and running it stereo?
At present I use one in my effects loop for different purposes, so it can not really
be used for saturation duties.

If I took as a master insert on my physical Mackie 2404VLZ4 a stereo moded Deco,
possibly this would add the saturation I seek?

The Amamod although cool, seems a tad expensive for my humble uses.
Old 9th August 2018
With the Anamod ridiculously expensive and the Neve simulator too subtle, I pre-ordered one of these space case TE-2 cassette delays though its not finished yet. Requires a lot of patience as you have to pre-order in batches.

Specs say "24db/oct OTA 4 pole high pass filter and low pass filter, with a resonance for the low pass filter" and as a TTSH owner, I am anxious to use the ARP 2600 inspired CV sliders. One last minute feature discussed on a Muff Wiggler thread is "Sound on Sound" , looks like its going to happen.

http://spacecasetapeecho.com/

In the meantime ... while its not a tape simulator, I am using the Elysia Karacter for stereo saturation. TBH its ok but I am not totally blown away by it. Mostly it works for me since as a 500 series module it fits into my chain easily enough to make it worth it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search