The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DSI: Prophet 08 REV 2 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2581
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
1. I can use less of the slop, but it's annoying to have such a small range on the dial to set optimum amount.
2. I can't. i'm talking about the amount of pitch mod generated by a value of 1.
3. I can't. It just doesn't go as high as on the OB6 or P12.
4. There's lots of different fatar keybeds. Not all cars are racecars. Or rather, almost every car manufacturer has cheaper cars and top-of the line. This one is not. Maybe it will break in a bit after a while, sometimes keybeds do.

The P12 i was hoping to replace has 16 per timbre. So does the Prophet X.
I like to modulate slots with slots, and have modwheel affect multiple parameters at the same time.

for example:
1.velocity to cutoff (not envelope amount, that is used with a different amount
2. velocity to lpf envelope attack
3. negative velocity to res
4. negative velocity to slop

5. Modwheel to filter
6. Modwheel to lfo amount.
7. Modwheel to positive resonance
8. Modweel to fx Parameter

9. lfo to 2nd destination
10. aftertouch to pitch/lfo
11. Modwheel to amount mod slot 10
12. envelope3 to sub level and resonance
13. modwheel to lfo rate amount zero
14. aftertouch to mod slot 13 amount
15. filter envelope to waveshape or lfo envelope
16. velocity to env3 amount
17. Pedal to negative VCA amount
18. Pedal to the amount of a lfo 4
19 lfo 4 to pan
20. lfo 3 to filter audio mod
21. Pedal to amount of mod slot 20

this isn't a patch, just saying a load of modulation routings i'd try out when sound designing.

I must admit i haven't tried the gated sequencer as a mod source. Seems a bit cumbersome to do with just the tiny screen and menu diving. Might be interesting for additional modulation slots, though, especially fo arps.
A two minute daily cold shower will help.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2582
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyaguy View Post
4. True, Fatar has different models. Not sure which the Rev2 has. Works fine for me but I'm no keyboard wizard.
According to a post by a Sequential employee on their forum:

The Prophet Rev2 features the same Fatar TP9 semi-weighted keybed that's in the Prophet 6 and OB-6. It's just a 5 octave version.

easy question concerning the keybed of the Rev 2
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2583
M32
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft View Post
A two minute daily cold shower will help.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2584
Gear Addict
 
j3rk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
Yeah. Guess I was having a bad hair day when I made those posts.
It's true you can double modulation, and I haven't yet calibrated the synth since I got it.
I still have to learn the velocity routing balances and I haven't experimented with the velocity and aftertouch curves. Anyone have a preference there other than the standard?
I use the standard curve, though admittedly I do a lot less with velocity, and much more with aftertouch.

I can actually understand a bit of frustration if sound design is your main thing, and you go from the P-12 to the Rev2. Like I said, I really don't think the Rev2 is deficient. There's not much else out there that can do what it does actually in the analog world. However, the P-12 takes much of it several steps further, and if that's what you're used to, then yeah, it may be a minor shock. I do think after a good calibration (both of the synth, and the way you approach it) that you'll be pretty happy with it. The other good news is that the Prophet-12 is still made, still available, and still as valid a choice as it ever was if the Rev2 doesn't work out for you.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2585
Lives for gear
 
Shadowkast's Avatar
Did most of you Rev2 owners go with the 16 voice over the 8? Do any of you 8 owners regret your choice or plan to upgrade in the future?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2586
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
Did most of you Rev2 owners go with the 16 voice over the 8? Do any of you 8 owners regret your choice or plan to upgrade in the future?
Bought the 8. Upgraded to 16 within a couple of months. Eight voices would normally be enough for me but you can do so much with stacking the A & B voices (and a good number of the factory patches are stacked) and I knew it was a keeper for me, so I sprung for the second voice card. Installation was straight forward.

Edit to add: My first instrument was piano so I tend to use lots of notes when I play. (4 note chords with the right hand and octaves with the left is not unusual), so I like lots of voices. YMMV.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2587
Gear Nut
 
guyaguy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3rk View Post
I use the standard curve, though admittedly I do a lot less with velocity, and much more with aftertouch.

I can actually understand a bit of frustration if sound design is your main thing, and you go from the P-12 to the Rev2. Like I said, I really don't think the Rev2 is deficient. There's not much else out there that can do what it does actually in the analog world. However, the P-12 takes much of it several steps further, and if that's what you're used to, then yeah, it may be a minor shock. I do think after a good calibration (both of the synth, and the way you approach it) that you'll be pretty happy with it. The other good news is that the Prophet-12 is still made, still available, and still as valid a choice as it ever was if the Rev2 doesn't work out for you.
I use the standard velocity curve too. The others aren't well documented as to what they are but there's a little more info here:
Information about the Velocity Curves?

And I totally would have gone for the P12 if it had featured the gated sequencer. It's just about the best thing about the Evo/Prophet 08 line IMO.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2588
Gear Nut
 
guyaguy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
Did most of you Rev2 owners go with the 16 voice over the 8? Do any of you 8 owners regret your choice or plan to upgrade in the future?
Unlike odourboy I'm not a real keys player at all but I still went for the 16. Having all that polyphony on one patch is cool but the real fun for me comes from layering while still having 8 voices, e.g. copy the same layer to layer B but detune B for huge sounds or have 2 seqs running at different clock divisions, etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2589
Gear Addict
 
j3rk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
Did most of you Rev2 owners go with the 16 voice over the 8? Do any of you 8 owners regret your choice or plan to upgrade in the future?
I intended to either get a P-12 or a 16-voice Rev2, but I actually got the good deal on a new 8-voice Rev2 for $1200. I played it for a couple of days like that before placing my order for the expander. Not because it wasn't good on its own, but because I immediately knew what the potential was for 8 more voices especially after playing it.

For sound design 8 is probably ok, but as soon as you start splitting or layering sounds, and then want to play some big chords, you start noticing when the voices drop, especially because if you're doing that, the sounds are going to be pretty thick (typically anyway) so it's more noticeable.

Also, it's my only "proper" poly-synth, and since 61 keys was one of my criteria, I wanted to be able to make use of that. If I had other polys to stack it with for example, it may have been less important.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2590
Gear Nut
 
Holden Sandman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
Did most of you Rev2 owners go with the 16 voice over the 8? Do any of you 8 owners regret your choice or plan to upgrade in the future?
If something is available in 8 or 16 voice or 6 or 12 voice then I get the most voices possible.

I have the REV 2 16 Voice and with some of my more sophisticated patches I could still use some more voices.

I have a Deepmind 12, six voices would be limiting.

I also have a Novation Peak and love it, but wish it had more voices.

My advice is always buy the most voices.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2591
Gear Addict
 
j3rk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Sandman View Post
If something is available in 8 or 16 voice or 6 or 12 voice then I get the most voices possible.

I have the REV 2 16 Voice and with some of my more sophisticated patches I could still use some more voices.

I have a Deepmind 12, six voices would be limiting.

I also have a Novation Peak and love it, but wish it had more voices.

My advice is always buy the most voices.
I agree. However, with the Rev2 it's kind of nice because you can try out 8 voices first, then very easily add 8 more if you like it.
Old 5 days ago
  #2592
Lives for gear
 
magikroom's Avatar
New Bank

Hi Guys...

Just to let you know I've released my follow up Bank for the Prophet REV 2, which I would say is my best work. I decided to just do a Bank of Stacked or Split Patches, so both Layers are used at all times...1 or 2 Unison, all voice Monsters, but on the whole, is mainly Stacked Patches.

It's taken longer to do obviously, but through recent experience of doing layering with the System 8 Performance mode and making Performances on the Nord Lead A1, the results are, well I think, a lot better.

Anyway, they are now available, have a listen, as always all Patches are demo'd.

Old 5 days ago
  #2593
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom View Post
Just to let you know I've released my follow up Bank for the Prophet REV 2, which I would say is my best work . . .
Hey, man, love your work! Unfortunately, I no longer have a Rev2. Do you know if my Mopho x4 can also use your Rev2 SYSEX files?
Old 5 days ago
  #2594
Lives for gear
 
magikroom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Hey, man, love your work! Unfortunately, I no longer have a Rev2. Do you know if my Mopho x4 can also use your Rev2 SYSEX files?
Sadly they're not compatible, as the Rev 2 has a few extra tricks up it's...err...Keys. Mainly the wave shaping of all waves and the FX.
Old 5 days ago
  #2595
Gear Maniac
 
Rentzen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom View Post
Hi Guys...

Just to let you know I've released my follow up Bank for the Prophet REV 2, which I would say is my best work. I decided to just do a Bank of Stacked or Split Patches, so both Layers are used at all times...1 or 2 Unison, all voice Monsters, but on the whole, is mainly Stacked Patches.

It's taken longer to do obviously, but through recent experience of doing layering with the System 8 Performance mode and making Performances on the Nord Lead A1, the results are, well I think, a lot better.

Anyway, they are now available, have a listen, as always all Patches are demo'd.

Sounds GREAT

Question: I only have the 8 voice version of Rev2 at the moment, so do you think it would be wiser to wait until I upgrade to 16 voices with getting your new sound bank? The sounds are "polyphony eaters" right? :-)
Old 5 days ago
  #2596
Lives for gear
 
magikroom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentzen View Post
Sounds GREAT

Question: I only have the 8 voice version of Rev2 at the moment, so do you think it would be wiser to wait until I upgrade to 16 voices with getting your new sound bank? The sounds are "polyphony eaters" right? :-)
It depends on how you play, the majority of them are Stacked patches, so you'll only get 4 voice polyphony, but if it's for recording, you just turn off a layer, get the 8 notes, record and do the same for the next layer...

That said, I did make them to use the full power of the 16 Voice...might not be a good idea commercially for me, but I wanted to push the Synth and myself for that matter, as its essentially 256 patches, if you count each layer as a separate Program.

So, like anything, if you get more voices you won't get voice stealing, but for recording (midi data first) you can record separate passes for each layer.

I'm not sure if they would sound different doing separate passes, as I made the Stack together as one Patch and not reused patches for different layers.
Old 4 days ago
  #2597
Gear Addict
 
j3rk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom View Post
It depends on how you play, the majority of them are Stacked patches, so you'll only get 4 voice polyphony, but if it's for recording, you just turn off a layer, get the 8 notes, record and do the same for the next layer...

That said, I did make them to use the full power of the 16 Voice...might not be a good idea commercially for me, but I wanted to push the Synth and myself for that matter, as its essentially 256 patches, if you count each layer as a separate Program.

So, like anything, if you get more voices you won't get voice stealing, but for recording (midi data first) you can record separate passes for each layer.

I'm not sure if they would sound different doing separate passes, as I made the Stack together as one Patch and not reused patches for different layers.
A possible interesting advantage of doing passes for each layer would be the ability to apply separate outboard effects to each layer or EQ each layer to fit a specific mix nicely.
Old 4 days ago
  #2598
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
Did most of you Rev2 owners go with the 16 voice over the 8? Do any of you 8 owners regret your choice or plan to upgrade in the future?
I went with 8 voices. At some point I’d love to upgrade to 16, but I don’t really have a need to. Pretty happy as is. More voices would be an added bonus for me, but not necessary for what I do.
Old 3 days ago
  #2599
Gear Addict
 

The REV2 1.1.5 BETA OS has been released at the following link to our web forum.

Newest Prophet Rev2 BETA OS - v1.1.5

Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump