The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Teenage Engineering PO-32 drum synthesizer
Old 18th January 2017
Teenage Engineering PO-32 drum synthesizer

Yes!

(update: https://teenage.engineering/products/po-32)

https://ask.audio/articles/teenage-e...export-feature

Quote:
Here's the official details from the Teenage Engineering PO-32 tonic press release:

We are extremely happy to announce PO-32 tonic – the next level pocket operator with built-in microphone and import / export functionality. PO-32 tonic is a powerful drum- and percussion synthesizer a result of a fruitful collaboration with magnus lidstrΓΆm of sonic charge, creator of award-winning audio plugins and the man behind the CWO effect in OP-1.unique to PO-32 tonic is its wide range of sonic capabilities, a fresh selection of new punch-in fx, a built-in microphone allowing direct transfer of sounds and pattern data between units, as well as the ability to allow users of the standard desktop version of microtonic to shape sounds, generate new patches and pattern data, and transfer this wirelessly back to the PO-32 tonic. for the first time pocket operator users can easily import, export and share their music with the world, opening up for unlimited potential.

Price and Availability

PO-32 tonic + microtonic vst/au bundle
$139, limited edition, only at teenage.engineering
PO-32 tonic, single unit
$89, estimated worldwide release first week of april 2017

Features:

mic for transferring sounds
16 fully customizable sounds
16 punch-in effects
16 step sequencer
parameter locks β€’ built-in speaker
3.5 mm audio I/O β€’ jam sync
LCD display
folding stand
watch + alarm clock
battery powered (2 x AAA)
1 month battery life
pattern chaining, up to 64 patterns
compatible with microtonic vst/au

Been hoping they'd release another drum PO since I got the 12, and here it is.

Last edited by PES; 19th January 2017 at 04:48 PM..
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Maniac

sweet! Might be the first pocket operator I get.
Old 18th January 2017
Looks like a nice addition to the Pocket Operator family. I have my fingers crossed for either Teenage Engineering or some other company to release a mini mixer with 1/8" inputs and sync functions at NAMM this year.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

this looks really interesting.... a friend of mine has micro tonic and I have used it a bunch with him, and it is a great idea generating drum synth/seq....... I read somewhere that this might be packaged with it for $139... I might have to pull the trigger on that one... I have managed to stay away from the pocket ops until now... but this one looks really cool...
Old 19th January 2017
Full product page up: https://teenage.engineering/products/po-32

User guide: https://teenage.engineering/guides/po-32/en#microtonic

Accent, live record, step multiplier...

Last edited by PES; 19th January 2017 at 05:04 PM..
Old 19th January 2017
Cool. I got the Arcade for Christmas and I really dig it. Maybe I will add this companion.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

I have like 4 of these, so obviously this one does sound interesting to me. At the same time, I often wonder WHY I have four of these. They have more depth than they appear, but are also extremely impractical to use. I came to this realization in earnest when I went to use one for maybe the 3rd or 4th time ever, and realized the batteries had died just from being on standby. (In other words, I hadn't used it in a month or two). Which is also a bigger hassle than it sounds because they are very fragile and replacing the batteries without damaging the connections is hard.

Neat products, but I don't want to over-invest in something that seems like it has a 15% chance of still working in 10 years...
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

I really don't understand teenage engineering
I sold my op-1 after 3 weeks , because I didn't like the synth .engines , too lores to my taste .
Now they come up with a sonic charge microtonic engine for the pocket operators , microtonic being an fantastic drummachine with oversampled osc's .
Does this mean that the cpu of the pocket operators is more capable then the op-1 blackfin ??
If this would be an upgrade to the op-1 I would buy an new one in a heartbeat .

Anyway , having a full blown microtonic ( 8 voices ) in a pocket operator unit is just amazing , we'll have to see if they have cut any corners.
from their site

unlimited sounds with micro tonic vst

end quote .

Does this mean you need micro-tonic to take fully advantage of the pocket operator ?
Old 19th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
I really don't understand teenage engineering
I sold my op-1 after 3 weeks , because I didn't like the synth .engines , too lores to my taste .
Now they come up with a sonic charge microtonic engine for the pocket operators , microtonic being an fantastic drummachine with oversampled osc's .
Does this mean that the cpu of the pocket operators is more capable then the op-1 blackfin ??
If this would be an upgrade to the op-1 I would buy an new one in a heartbeat .

Anyway , having a full blown microtonic ( 8 voices ) in a pocket operator unit is just amazing , we'll have to see if they have cut any corners.
from their site

unlimited sounds with micro tonic vst

end quote .

Does this mean you need micro-tonic to take fully advantage of the pocket operator ?
You need micro-tonic in order to make your own sounds (or transfer others'). As for full-blown, apparently this is four voice polyphonic* (but with 16 sound slots), so there is some note priority stuff going on there. Which is also the case with the PO-12, although I'm not sure of the exact number of voices on that one.

*which, come to think of it, is the same as for an acoustic drum kit.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
ha! exactly, except for envelope decay of triggered events!
Old 19th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
You need micro-tonic in order to make your own sounds (or transfer others'). As for full-blown, apparently this is four voice polyphonic* (but with 16 sound slots), so there is some note priority stuff going on there. Which is also the case with the PO-12, although I'm not sure of the exact number of voices on that one.

To make your own sounds, yes.

But, for transfer you can simply have the audio file with the bank (or the one your friend created) in your phone, tape recorder, answer machine, and play it back to the PO-32's integrated mic.

Voila, instant infinite banks of sounds
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

those 4 videos of it being used show some nice useful fx and a fair amount of noise tweaking
using the vst isnt such a bad thing , hopefully the next version does sample transfer , I'm guessing this version is basically running the same drum engines on device so its mostly transfering sound parameter data and sequence data.

i wonder if the vst can replay the device sequences , including the parameters changing / fx etc performance data.

those 4 videos can be found here

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2017/01/t...ic-videos.html
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

I bought one, bit I'm hoping it lasts longer than my OP-1 mic which I've already had to replace.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
I have like 4 of these, so obviously this one does sound interesting to me. At the same time, I often wonder WHY I have four of these. They have more depth than they appear, but are also extremely impractical to use. I came to this realization in earnest when I went to use one for maybe the 3rd or 4th time ever, and realized the batteries had died just from being on standby.
I've been using my PO-12 lately for live jams and loops and I love it. No battery issues after 2-3 months on standby with occasional use until the last few days where it's prominent in some tracks. It's very efficient.

I love all the pocket ops, but then I drank the Kool-Aid years ago when I bought the OP-1. Amazing little portable studio/synth/sampler and exotic MIDI sequencer for external gear, no computer needed. The new OS adds even more cool stuff.

Can't wait to try the PO-32.
Old 20th January 2017
Ordered the pre-launch bundle from TE. Estimated shipping Feb 2nd, which is not bad for something just announced.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm quite excited by this one. I think the integration with the software looks awesome, and makes this so much more usable. This + Novation Circuit and an MPC Live would make a killer little setup. I think I'll have to get one!
Old 21st January 2017
Gear Nut

I'm confused about the 4 channel thing. The guide makes no mention of it. It seems like you just select sound 1-16 with the sound button and then enter the active steps. Then you can select 3 more sounds to run simultaneously? If so I'm sold. Are we sure it isn't monophonic though?
Old 21st January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by geremy View Post
I'm confused about the 4 channel thing. The guide makes no mention of it. It seems like you just select sound 1-16 with the sound button and then enter the active steps. Then you can select 3 more sounds to run simultaneously? If so I'm sold. Are we sure it isn't monophonic though?
You set the trigs on any or all of the 16 channels, but if more than four trigs happen at once, only four will sound simultaneously. I don't know how it determines which sounds have priority, but I assume for example sound 1 and 2 will have first priority (defaults to kick and snare according to the symbols, though of course you could make whatever sound you want).

For the sake of programming kits, it would be useful to know how this works (so you don't put an alternate kick on a channel that has low priority etc).
Old 21st January 2017
vertical channels

According to a poster on FB, each vertical collumn of the 16 sounds shares one voice of the polyphony.

It makes sense when looking at the symbols of the unit, and how they are grouped vertically.
Old 22nd January 2017
Gear Nut

Yeah I just read on the microtonic forum that the plugin has an optimize button so that it will minimize voice stealing on the PO. Has anyone bought one yet? Did you get sent the redemption code for the plugin already or will that arrive with the packaging?
Old 22nd January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by geremy View Post
Has anyone bought one yet? Did you get sent the redemption code for the plugin already or will that arrive with the packaging?
Didn't get a redemption code yet, so I assume it comes with the unit itself, or when it's shipped (Feb 2nd).

Would be nice to be able to prepare a kit before it arrives.
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear
Well I have the first 6... I have had fun lately sample looping sounds generated from the PO-14 on my ESX.
Old 30th January 2017
I wonder if these are on track to begin shipping this week. I impulse pre-ordered one the other week.
Old 31st January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
I wonder if these are on track to begin shipping this week. I impulse pre-ordered one the other week.
You have a PM on an unrelated matter. Thanks.
Old 2nd February 2017
Got a tracking number for my PO-32. Looks like the serial number is in the email. Haven't downloaded uTonic to try it out.
Old 2nd February 2017
I got the tracking number today as well, so TE deliver as they promise.
Old 6th February 2017
neat drummer

Received it today. Sounds great out of the box, and what a box: golden cardboard, and on the inside the story(!) is written (no spoilers, but this drum machine comes with its own background story).

Anyway, sounds great, and operates sightly better than the PO-12. You don't need to hold [sound] to choose sounds now, as long as you're in play mode (but you can choose them that way in record mode).

The Microtonic serial comes with it, and transfering sounds works like it should.

edit: big improvement (bugfix?) over PO-12 is that FX won't be recorded unless you activate record mode.

Last edited by PES; 6th February 2017 at 10:46 PM..
Old 6th February 2017
Cool!

I recently noticed on the FedEx tracking page that added the required signature service, so that screws me a bit. I doubt that I will be home when FedEx comes. I am going to have to arrange a pickup or something. Unfortunately I cannot change the delivery options right now as they are all grayed out. I don't know why TE required signature on the shipping. Seems a bit excessive. I was hoping to receive the PO-32 on my birthday tomorrow, but I guess that isn't happening. :(
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Just a couple of questions:
1. How many patterns does it hold? Is it just one?
2. How many sounds does it hold?

Thanks. I think I will buy this one, seems like a smarter purchase than the Volca Kick that I was thinking of getting.
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

16 patterns
16 sounds
all info on their website

https://teenageengineering.com/guide.../en#microtonic
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear