The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai MPCX Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam an huel View Post
AKai do this and you'll sell a lot more!
Maybe few more. Most ppl don't use those features. It does have editable Chords function that even Maschine don't have. And scales. Maschine has preset chords, scales and arp and nothing else.

Edit: Not even Ableton Live have proper chord function. It has same chord memory thing that 80's synths had.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Sonicstate video of Live:
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuG3nda View Post
Updated sample engine and I´m in

basic Ren sampler ala: 1x lfo 2x envelope scenario is rather basic for a 2017 sampler

I hope for:
3x envelopes
2x LFOs
Mod matrix
MPC4000 layering (cutoff per layer)
EQ on mixer tracks

specs anywhere ??
You took the words right out of my mouth. As a user of the MPC4000, I'm wondering exactly the same.

Plus, why only 6 individual analog outs plus the two main outs (8 total) on MPC X instead of 8 individual out plus the two mains for a total of 10 like on the previous models, including the 5000 and the 2500? Also, I wonder is the "MIDI over USB" support would allow for external multiport midi interfaces for expanded midi I/O, like an 8x8 motu express or something similar. If that's possible, that would be SWEET!! No more computer sequencing.

Apart from that, this thing looks great spec wise. Only time will tell.
Old 14th January 2017
So many questions, some of which show a basic lack of understanding of what an MPC is. Many of these questions will be answered in just a few days, presumably, when NAMM starts. As of now, I don't believe anyone on this forum has used this machine, or MPC 2.0 software, so any answers you are getting are readily available either in the QuickStart guides or in the few videos that exist.

If you are looking for an MPC to auto tune, you are definetely looking at the wrong machine.
Old 14th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearanewworld View Post
As of now, I don't believe anyone on this forum has used this machine, or MPC 2.0 software, so any answers you are getting are readily available either in the QuickStart guides or in the few videos that exist.
Or in the Ren/Studio/Touch/MPC SW documentation, which has been available for some years now...
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

You can install the MPC software (v1.9 for now) and use it in demo mode to get an understanding of how it works. There are some restrictions (ex:can't save or export) and some looping noise but nothing that gets in the way of learning it.

Spend a few hours with that and the manual and you'll be up to speed.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
Most ppl don't use those features.
Historically, the average MPC user didn't have a clue about synthesis or analog style step sequencers, and what kind of fun it is, what kind of musical ideas it can brings.
But come on, we are in 2017 and people knowledge growed since, and this X looks very promising, with many sequencing styles under the hood.

MPC finally opens to the modular and CV world, Akai have to do it properly now! Everything is under the hood waiting to be enhanced.
There are very few companies that are wise enough to offer it.

Pioneer just did it with the Toraiz SP16 update though, midi only but a move in the good direction. So that's definitely possible, even for Akai.

But it is not in Akai mind yet, and it is not in MPC users mind yet.

AND WE HAVE TO PUT THAT IN THEIR HEAD WITH A HAMMER

This MPCX could totally win the standalone sequencer game with a proper and powerful integrated step sequencer per track for notes / gates / multiple CC + CV parameters.

Futures MPCX users are deserving it! The 16 knobs + midi / CV outs + the massive screen are all shouting for that.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam an huel View Post
Historically, the average MPC user didn't have a clue about synthesis or analog style step sequencers, and what kind of fun it is, what kind of musical ideas it can brings.
But come on, we are in 2017 and people knowledge growed since, and this X looks very promising, with many sequencing styles under the hood.

MPC finally opens to the modular and CV world, Akai have to do it properly now! Everything is under the hood waiting to be enhanced.
There are very few companies that are wise enough to offer it.

Pioneer just did it with the Toraiz SP16 update though, midi only but a move in the good direction. So that's definitely possible, even for Akai.

But it is not in Akai mind yet, and it is not in MPC users mind yet.

AND WE HAVE TO PUT THAT IN THEIR HEAD WITH A HAMMER

This MPCX could totally win the standalone sequencer game with a proper and powerful integrated step sequencer per track for notes / gates / multiple CC + CV parameters.
Futures MPCX users are deserving it!
i am behind this mpc and would really like to see it working properly. i see no reason why it shouldn't as long as akai put energy and effort towards making this stable and working properly, then it will really be a great mpc. looking forward for it delivering from day 1.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

I like the roadmap that Pioneer did with the Toraiz software rollout. I wish Akai would do the same with promising potential customers that features would be coming in a certain timeframe.

Either Pyramid-style Midi FX blocks or simply Arp and pattern Direction added into Track level sequencing would look great on a OS roadmap from Akai. It would encourage potential customers like me to buy now instead of playing the waiting game sitting on the sidelines hoping that these basic sequencer features are added sometime down the line. Is Akai listening to these boards? Or are they simply content with potential sound pack sales to an already loyal existing customer base?
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Does an arrangement screen appear in the X?
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearanewworld View Post
So many questions, some of which show a basic lack of understanding of what an MPC is. Many of these questions will be answered in just a few days, presumably, when NAMM starts. As of now, I don't believe anyone on this forum has used this machine, or MPC 2.0 software, so any answers you are getting are readily available either in the QuickStart guides or in the few videos that exist.

If you are looking for an MPC to auto tune, you are definetely looking at the wrong machine.
The worst thing Akai can do is try to accommodate all the demands of no clue poster. Get the basics right. Trying to be everything the anonymous basement poster wants will satisfy no one, and the aforementioned anonymous basement posters will then say "told you so"

I'm personally worried the software, touchy, DAW design is already too far away from MPC workflow its unrecognisable. For me, the fun of MPC is using your ears and feeling your way. Not this point and click precision editing which sucks creativity. I am hoping I a wrong.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Have it all,

Gotta agree 200 percent there bro.

I got banned from the Toraiz thread months ago by all the fanboys who didn't even buy one and now they are all here spouting propaganda or how the X is this or that.

I definitely want the X for non click computer interaction.

Cheers
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
I wish Akai would do the same with promising potential customers that features would be coming in a certain timeframe. ?
And when they are not able to deliver those promised features, within that certain timeframe, then the bitching begins.

If problems implementing a certain feature are found in beta testing, then it has to be reprogrammed, and retested, possibly a number of times, before it can be released. That throws any promised certain timeframe out the window.

Better off not committing to specific timeframes, to avoid the drama.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The worst thing Akai can do is try to accommodate all the demands of no clue poster.
The funny thing is Akai has already listened to their users, with this X.
And there are experienced samplists, mpcists posting requests also. I think Akai knows what to pick if they ever read anything.
I think you're right about getting the basics right though, this thing must perform musically without any bugs.

Quote:
For me, the fun of MPC is using your ears and feeling your way.
Quote:
I definitely want the X for non click computer interaction.
You have Qlinks, what about assigning them to sample start/end and use your ears to truncate samples? I mean, it's not because it is powerful and with a touch screen that you have to use everything the way it is intended. That was the same with MV, it frightened people and they completely overlooked it.
You can still seek for classic MPCs if this one does not rock your boat. Will be less expensive too.
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Guru

So class complaint backwards compatible USB 3 ports, can use one for a mouse and another a qwerty keyboard..?

that would make using that screen a bit more of a pleasure imo..
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
The worst thing Akai can do is try to accommodate all the demands of no clue poster. Get the basics right. Trying to be everything the anonymous basement poster wants will satisfy no one, and the aforementioned anonymous basement posters will then say "told you so"
They don't.

They have a huge list of possible features to add in, and what they do add in is not driven by the demands of no clue posters.

Quote:
I'm personally worried the software, touchy, DAW design is already too far away from MPC workflow its unrecognisable. For me, the fun of MPC is using your ears and feeling your way. Not this point and click precision editing which sucks creativity. I am hoping I a wrong.
You can use your ears, you don't have to use point and click precision editing, you can use it in exactly the same way as the older MPCs if you want to.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

If you want the more oldschool approach than you can always get a 2nd hand older gen mpc.
Old 15th January 2017
Is this the first synth/sampler that lets you plug a qwerty keyboard into the USB and type out your patch names?
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
Is this the first synth/sampler that lets you plug a qwerty keyboard into the USB and type out your patch names?
No 4000 was the first MPC to offer that.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear
I'm really hoping this will deliver. If this machine can beat the octratrack then I just might be interested.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
So class complaint backwards compatible USB 3 ports, can use one for a mouse and another a qwerty keyboard..?

that would make using that screen a bit more of a pleasure imo..
They said in the sonic state video that you can plug in a qwerty keyboard. No mention of mice.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
If you want the more oldschool approach than you can always get a 2nd hand older gen mpc.
I'm MPC 2500 and 5000 here. The reason I would be interested in MPC X is to be able to handle modern storage and sample formats. If those features were available but in a MPC5000 interface, I would be very happy. IMO MPC5000 while having its faults is the best screen/button interface Akai ever did.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
You can use your ears, you don't have to use point and click precision editing, you can use it in exactly the same way as the older MPCs if you want to.
Will you be able to move the start and end points with the encoders? I assume so. If not and you have to use the touch screen then instant fail for me.

PS I want this to work.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog8 View Post
I'm really hoping this will deliver. If this machine can beat the octratrack then I just might be interested.
At what? Screensize..?
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
At what? Screensize..?
LOL

Well lets hope for more than eh?
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog8 View Post
LOL

Well lets hope for more than eh?
No need for hope here ... as far as i can see the OT will have a hard time to compete in the future.

Specs counting .. there is nothing the OT is better.

For loop tweaking and mangling it might have an edge still. But i dont do that.

Backing track, Midi sequencer and sampler is what i need. The OT is not very good at that.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will you be able to move the start and end points with the encoders? I assume so. If not and you have to use the touch screen then instant fail for me.

PS I want this to work.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No need for hope here ... as far as i can see the OT will have a hard time to compete in the future.
They don't really 'compete'

In the same way that I don't think the MPC Studio and Renaissance were competing for the same market as the OT.

Quote:
For loop tweaking and mangling it might have an edge still. But i dont do that.
That is it's strength, others might do that.

Quote:
Backing track, Midi sequencer and sampler is what i need. The OT is not very good at that.
It isn't meant to be, is it?

Like everything, they have their strengths and weaknesses, and are not necessarily competing against each other.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
They don't really 'compete'

In the same way that I don't think the MPC Studio and Renaissance were competing for the same market as the OT.

That is it's strength, others might do that.

It isn't meant to be, is it?

Like everything, they have their strengths and weaknesses, and are not necessarily competing against each other.
Uhm mate, i was just answering a question to the best of my knowledge. I am way past the "there can only be one" stage.

And of course they do compete. Same with the Toraiz. How i know? Cause i was checking them all out for my purposes. and the always come up in the same threads.

So these "they dont compete" statements that happen at least once per page in every sampler thread are just denial imho. Elektron is loosing ground and will further lose until they rethink some of their core concepts.

Quote:

It isn't meant to be, is it.
See? ... that was exactly what it was meant to be... according to the manual....
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Uhm mate, i was just answering a question to the best of my knowledge. I am way past the "there can only be one" stage.

And of course they do compete. Same with the . How i know? Cause i was checking them all out for my purposes. and the always come up in the same threads.

So these "they dont compete" statements that happen at least once per page in every sampler thread are just denial imho. Elektron is loosing ground and will further lose until they rethink some of their core concepts.
You think that are all competing for the same potential customer.

I think that they do different things, for different potential customers, and for different uses.

That is why you think Elektron is loosing ground, because those core concepts are meant to achieve different outcomes to what you want.

You want "Backing track, Midi sequencer and sampler", and you say that the OT is not very good at that...maybe it isn't meant to be?

In a similar way, many are expecting the Toraiz to be an MPC, when that is most likely not what it is meant to be.

I just don't think that the OT and Toraiz are trying to be ""Backing track, Midi sequencer and sampler" in the same way that the MPC is.

Last edited by SimonInAustralia; 15th January 2017 at 10:20 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search