The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai MPCX Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Wonder how long it will take for someone to hack the Linux install and make it do other things?
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
If it is important to you, you should have multiple backups of it.

I wouldn't expect it to be fully stable on release.
Backup is no problem, but it don't help on stage. Sadly i can't afford Madonna style dual system where two identical system are running in paraller :D

As a stage backup there is always iPhone...
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wonder how long it will take for someone to hack the Linux install and make it do other things?
And install Doom to it!
Old 13th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
About as long as it has taken them to do the same with all the other Linux based gear out there.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Must be a huge timesink. I wouldnt install it on my system unless it really provides something very awesome. I ponder what this could be.
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Must be a huge timesink. I wouldnt install it on my system unless it really provides something very awesome. I ponder what this could be.
vst hosting
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akai_world View Post
vst hosting
I have a feeling all the people clamoring for VST hosting in the standalone mode will be sorely disappointed if it ever was implemented or added to a hacked version of the OS.
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I have a feeling all the people clamoring for VST hosting in the standalone mode will be sorely disappointed if it ever was implemented or added to a hacked version of the OS.
Why
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm hoping for a baked in VST. While the processor isn't a total power house able to run Divine Diva, being able to quickly bounce a few phrases or tracks to audio would be most welcome.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why
I doubt the processor is fast enough to deal with sequencing, real-time stretching, internal effects and external plugins that can totally bring the system to its knees. On top of it, the few external hardwares that could host VSTs never were a success. Lots of problems and I can't see Akai wanting to deal with that.

/C
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Maniac

answers im hoping to see pop up soon in more detailed reviews..cough sonicstate.

-if monitors are connected directly to the outputs, can the MPC X/live function as an audio interface for PC even without the MPC software running on the PC. so for example can i use ableton occasionally by itself if i want to and use the mpc for its inputs / outputs

-and in more further detail, lets say i have a sync-gen and i want to send that signal from the DAW out through an mpc output, are there options for this... basically im looking for an excuse to sell my audio interface but still have good studio routing options.. but maybe the sync from the MPC when used with DAW will be good enough i can offload my syncgen as well.

-what are resampling options / workflow for running internal samples out through hardware fx and back in. is it a simple process. would be cool if it could be configured to be a one button process when editing samples

-hows the latency for recording inputs and midi now we are dealing with a "computer in a box".. i'm assuming given the hardware is "known" to the software developers it shouldnt be an issue, but if i was to guess akai were to drop the ball somewhere it would be this and midi timing / jitter.

very excited
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

A native bass synth or some VA drum modules (like in Maschine) i could understand. But VST hosting would be too much for me. There would be limits i wouldnt want to deal with on such a device.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why
What CarLofgren said primarily. If Diva can make a decent computer/laptop CPU struggle, imagine what it would do to this smaller CPU.

Additionally, how would graphics translate? Will additional cycles have to be taken for the different display? Could the separate GPU handle all of that?

And finally, as computers continue to get faster and faster, VST developers use more and more of that CPU for more detailed processing. Akai has no way to predict how hungry future VSTs will be.

So given the above possibilities, I'm guessing this is the reason Akai chose to not allow for 3rd party VST hosting when in standalone mode. So why not just up the specs on the hardware? How much would that cost the end user? How much bigger would the units have to be? Gotta find a balance somewhere.

I'm fairly sure that if Akai could pull off VST hosting in standalone mode, they'd like a way to do it without potentially crippling the sequencer timing/jitter and sampling capabilities.

As it is, you can merely work connected to the computer with your VSTs, record the audio and use that audio track in standalone mode. You lose some real-time functionality, but...
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

I hope they one day create a line of vsts specifically made for these mpcs. Even a simple va would be nice.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
I doubt the processor is fast enough to deal with sequencing, real-time stretching, internal effects and external plugins that can totally bring the system to its knees. On top of it, the few external hardwares that could host VSTs never were a success. Lots of problems and I can't see Akai wanting to deal with that.

/C
Not only that- but it could be, although this is just a guess, that it runs on a realtime version of the Linux kernel. Linux distributions customized for DAW and audio use generally use the low-latency version, not the realtime one. Not that the low-latency one is slow, it works fine. What it means though is if they wanted to get sub-millisecond timing then they'd need the realtime kernel. But in any case keeping bloat out of the machine and a slimmed down OS means more potential for keeping it stable at low latencies. In an MPC, VST hosting and all that comes with it qualifies as bloat. Hopefully it means that they kept an eye out for lag problems and took precautions to keep timing tight. I guess we will see how well they did soon enough.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensands View Post
Had a 2000XL ages ago and loved it. Haven't used an MPC since in a very long time. Couple questions for latest software users of MPC.

1) does it have midi FX for sequencer ie midi delay, chord memory etc. Looking to see if it could replace the great midi FX for pyramid.
2) Is note editing in step mode easy where you can hold the step on a pad and change notes, velocity, offset etc. Kinda like analog style sequencer editing? Again this is implemented very good on pyramid.
3) Are there sampler modes to model old akais? Would love an s950 model mode etc. To be more the specific "that sound!"
4) are there ways to quickly shift the whole patterns in step mode x steps forward or back? Again implemented great on the pyramid.

Looking to possibly replace s900, pyramid, MC-909 with this one unit. Would all bases be covered? I'm thinking it might be a stretch because the pyramid is a fantastic little sequencer for quick ideas, but always looking for ways to consolidate the gear footprint if it makes sense.

Waiting for that official 2.0 and mpc X manual to find out all this stuff but maybe current users of 1.X might have a bit of insight.
I want to join these questions.
How is it (or at least the 2.0 OS) as a step sequencer for controlling / creating beats x0x style - and how is it a step sequencer for melodic stuff and for controlling external synths?
Feature-wise, how deep is it compared to sequencers such as SE Engine, Squarp Pyramid etc? Tactile-wise, how can one change the gate, velocity, pitch etc? Can you change pattern direction? Nudge? Probability? Skips? Ratchets? Polyrhythms? Does it have "accents" and "slides"?

Some insights from those who already used the 2.0 OS on former akai gear would be most welcome!
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
I hope they one day create a line of vsts specifically made for these mpcs. Even a simple va would be nice.
I hope they dont, and if its just for people to lern how to use their equipment and demand the right instead of silly things ..

Sample some raw waveforms, loop them, build your VA/Rompler ..
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I want to join these questions.

Feature-wise, how deep is it compared to sequencers such as SE Engine, Squarp Pyramid etc? Tactile-wise, how can one change the gate, velocity, pitch etc? Can you change pattern direction? Nudge? Probability? Skips? Ratchets? Polyrhythms? Does it have "accents" and "slides?
Probably as deep as Ableton live. Those advanced features are usually found only in dedicated sequencers that do only one thing and does it well. New MPC's do everything +coffee.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
Probably as deep as Ableton live. Those advanced features are usually found only in dedicated sequencers that do only one thing and does it well. New MPC's do everything +coffee.
Been looking for some kind of manual/user guide for the 2.0 software but can't find it. Went to the akaipro website - nothing but general info about the 2.0 update.
Anyone can point me where to look? Is the manual exclusive just to owners?
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Been looking for some kind of manual/user guide for the 2.0 software but can't find it. Went to the akaipro website - nothing but general info about the 2.0 update.
Don't think v2 has been released yet.

/C
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Most info your looking for should be found in an older manual already. So far nothing was mentioned that Akai didnt remove anything with 2.0.

Couldnt find a manual download either btw. Is it onyl available if you have account ?

EDIT: Found a download source... http://6be54c364949b623a3c0-4409a68c...Guide-v1.9.pdf
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

I want to see an advanced analog style step sequencer per track, controllable with those 16 Qlink knobs, for parameters, not just note and gate.
This feature is MANDATORY , MPCX being what it is now, it is in its genes.

AKai do this and you'll sell a lot more!
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Most info your looking for should be found in an older manual already. So far nothing was mentioned that Akai didnt remove anything with 2.0.

Couldnt find a manual download either btw. Is it onyl available if you have account ?

EDIT: Found a download source... http://6be54c364949b623a3c0-4409a68c...Guide-v1.9.pdf
Thanks!

Looking at the manual, the step sequencer (at least pre 2.0) seems very very basic.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

It can't possible be that difficult to program a few new Midi FX plugs for MPC 2.x to make the crossover potential more robust for the new MPC's. A very basic sequencer is fine for the most part for traditional boom-bap and old school techno but modern genres make use of a lot more tweaking Midi parameters on the fly.

It seems all modern sequencers offer Track-level Pattern Direction, beat resolution, Arp, Chord perform and some Midi Delay as mainstays. New MPC's need these as well in order to draw in more experimental electronic producers considering jumping into the MPC. And these Midi FX draw little in the way of CPU resources compared to audio FX. Tweaking Midi FX would be a natural fit for those 16 OLED Q-Link knobs.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Excuse me if already asked but:

Can the Mpc X play and or time stretch whole audio (.wav) tracks (3 - 7 min) similar to Ableton Live?
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk View Post

Can the Mpc X play and or time stretch whole audio (.wav) tracks (3 - 7 min) similar to Ableton Live?
i think somebody went through that in a video earlier in the thread and was very happy about it. wanna stretch 7 min? what 7 min would you wanna stretch? a whole track?
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk View Post

I've not seen a quote on the time limit of audio tracks, but I would assume so. The latest Sonic State video on the Live has a pretty long vocal audio track that's time stretched.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFM View Post
i think somebody went through that in a video earlier in the thread and was very happy about it. wanna stretch 7 min? what 7 min would you wanna stretch? a whole track?
thanks, will search that video. If you could send me to the right direction that would be awesome! would love to see it.

yeah, let's say I have a 7 min song and I would bounce:
bass, drums, synths, guitars in wav files, would this be possible in the new MPC's?
This would be possible in Ableton, but I guess you have more ram to support such large files.

Strange, cant find any information about this on their official website if it's possible to play full tracks, and time stretch these. Like you would in say ableton live.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Going through the 1.9 manual, there seems no way to import programs and samples from old Akais.

I also did not find any mention of tuning of recordings/samples. Repitching and changing the tempo yes, but no way to record a vocal and tune it a la Autotune/Melodyne. If the MPC is to be used away from the studio as a one stop solution, being able to tune a recording is a must either through a dedicated functionality or using one of the effect plugins.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

When bouncing tracks from MPC to your DAW, does a beat or a pattern show up as one track? Or can you get a separate audio track for the kick, separate audio track for the snare - etc, for processing each of the individually or using the kick as a source for sidechaining?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search