The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai MPCX Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
I don't think there is more depth to it. Guy shows how it works and what it can do.
This is a list of audio track features in version 2, which is much more than what is shown in that video, and are the sort of more in depth things I was interested in seeing...

Quote:
Audio Tracks:

Capture, edit and mix up to 8 studio-grade resolution audio tracks in standalone mode (MPC X and MPC Live), or expand your track limit to an immense 128 tracks in controller mode. Furnished with critical audio recording functionality - including multi-track capture, selectable monitoring options (Off, On & Auto), monitoring via effects, Punch In/Out Recording and Record Start options – MPC 2.0 empowers producers and performers with core audio-capture and the convenience of full featured standalone operation.
Old 12th January 2017
Unless they get developers to compile their plugins to run on this ARM chip and the MPC plugin environment, you won't get any third party plugins. Seems unlikely given the low customer # vs the world of windows and osx plugins.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm at least hoping they recompiled the AIR plugs to run on the ARM chip.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Addict

Meh. I'm holding out for the Beat Thang II
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

The pimped out Akai MPC Malcolm X version is going to be awesome!
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Maniac

On one hand, I can see how people might have reservations based on semi recent Akai stuff, paying for what is essentially an integrated PC/audio interface/controller.

On the other, doing just that saves me space, cables, streamlines “workflow” (I don’t like this word, because I do music for fun, I have enough work to do as it is)...

So it’s down to quality... if it handles well, has good timing and sound quality it will be worth it... I don’t care if it loads VSTs but computer integration is a nice complement. I just want something that won’t be a paperweight in five-ten years’ time.

The other thing is it might well just trigger a sampler arms race so everyone wins...
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madogga View Post
On one hand, I can see how people might have reservations based on semi recent Akai stuff, paying for what is essentially an integrated PC/audio interface/controller.
Actually every MPC have been like that. Old models just used very old and simple components, but all are code-prosessor based. Now it's just possible to put ARM processor into a box.

Only way it not working after 10 years is if some component go bad. In old MPC's both pads and screen needs replacement after enough time. No idea can the screen be replaced here.

Just need to remember that pretty much anything built 2017 is not made to last forever like stuff made in 80's.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Actually every MPC have been like that. Old models just used very old and simple components, but all are code-prosessor based. Now it's just possible to put ARM processor into a box.

Only way it not working after 10 years is if some component go bad. In old MPC's both pads and screen needs replacement after enough time. No idea can the screen be replaced here.

Just need to remember that pretty much anything built 2017 is not made to last forever like stuff made in 80's.
Sure but converted to Roo Balls it'll be a billion dollars... but if Nick Batt (my REAL dad) sez its quality then I'm keen...
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjohnrambo View Post
I'd love to see what GhostInMPC can do with them.
Good job! I've never heard of these guys before.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Would be nice to know wether one can use it as an audio/midi interface whenit is in controller mode. Cant imagine they dont do this, just checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
Thanks, was wondering if not supporting third party plugins was due to the OS, or the available processing power.
There are some plug in instruments and fx for kinus OS.. U-HE for example has linux support. But i guess i'd rather have reliable processor performance for the core functions than plug ins.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

I for one am not going to be losing my sh*t about whether a stand-alone piece of gear runs plugins or not. . . it's not like that's something most of us have clamored over before now.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
I for one am not going to be losing my sh*t about whether a stand-alone piece of gear runs plugins or not. . . it's not like that's something most of us have clamored over before now.

No way, f#%^ plugins. You have your computer for that.
Old 12th January 2017
moniker for new project:
One dude with an MPCX
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Here is PDF with a lot more info on MPC X:
MPC X - Product Overview, Technical Specifications & FAQs
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Had a 2000XL ages ago and loved it. Haven't used an MPC since in a very long time. Couple questions for latest software users of MPC.

1) does it have midi FX for sequencer ie midi delay, chord memory etc. Looking to see if it could replace the great midi FX for pyramid.
2) Is note editing in step mode easy where you can hold the step on a pad and change notes, velocity, offset etc. Kinda like analog style sequencer editing? Again this is implemented very good on pyramid.
3) Are there sampler modes to model old akais? Would love an s950 model mode etc. To be more the specific "that sound!"
4) are there ways to quickly shift the whole patterns in step mode x steps forward or back? Again implemented great on the pyramid.

Looking to possibly replace s900, pyramid, MC-909 with this one unit. Would all bases be covered? I'm thinking it might be a stretch because the pyramid is a fantastic little sequencer for quick ideas, but always looking for ways to consolidate the gear footprint if it makes sense.

Waiting for that official 2.0 and mpc X manual to find out all this stuff but maybe current users of 1.X might have a bit of insight.

Also midi timing/jitter/response would need to be on par with MPC's greatest units in that regard for me to even consider. mpc 4000?

Last edited by owensands; 12th January 2017 at 09:11 PM..
Old 12th January 2017
Quote:
Here is PDF with a lot more info on MPC X:
MPC X - Product Overview, Technical Specifications & FAQs
After about 8 years of MPC1000 as center of my studio, I got real sick of it and made an Elektron commitment a couple months ago. Now, just as my brain is starting to get rewired to thinking in 4 bar patterns, (whereas on the MPC I thought in "songs"), this thing comes along and seems to solve every annoyance with the 1000 I have. I'm sticking with my Rytm/AK/Octatrack commitment for the year, because it's pulling me out of my comfort zone and into some very interesting territories, but after looking at this PDF, it is inevitable I'll be trading in a couple of those pieces for the MPCX at the end of '17.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyz2401 View Post
Meh. I'm holding out for the Beat Thang II
I will probably just shut up and never say this, but I actually considered buying a Beat Thang not long ago. That's the only sequencer / drum machine I know of with a variable sequencer resolution of 24 to 960 PPQN. Which is pretty cool.

Anyway - after a short email conversation with them every alarm bell went off and I backed out

/C
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

the sickest thing on this mpc is the emulation of the 60 leather arm rest at the front
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Does anyone know how the MPC software handles polyphony and samples? I'm totally lost when it comes to the Akai terms for this - but after watching a few videos on their YouTube channel - I get the impression that's it totally possible to load up a sample and play a chord with it.

Bonus questions for those who knows

Does the MPC software handle looped samples? Let's say I'm having a JP8000 supersaw I want to use as a string sound and play some chords with.

Multi-sampled programs? I understand you can build your own drum kits and so forth, but would it for example be possible to make a multi-sampled instrument of the JP8000 supersaw string?

/C
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFM View Post
the sickest thing on this mpc is the emulation of the 60 leather arm rest at the front
Id rather have the 60 emulation of sound if so desired
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
Does anyone know how the MPC software handles polyphony and samples? I'm totally lost when it comes to the Akai terms for this - but after watching a few videos on their YouTube channel - I get the impression that's it totally possible to load up a sample and play a chord with it.

/C
In deed it does. It even comes with chord "midi fx" that you can customize and assign to pads. Greetings to NI
From the PDF:
"Pad Perform – Lets users assign musical scales, chord or progressions to the pads"

Keygroup -is the AKAI term for multisamples.

As for the supersaw loop. As it loops loops why can't the loop be just one cycle?
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Bonus questions for those who knows

Does the MPC software handle looped samples? Let's say I'm having a JP8000 supersaw I want to use as a string sound and play some chords with.

Multi-sampled programs? I understand you can build your own drum kits and so forth, but would it for example be possible to make a multi-sampled instrument of the JP8000 supersaw string?
128 voice polyphony. (in controller mode running on a computer, not sure if the polyphony in standalone mode is different). More than enough to play a chord with.

Yes, looping and multi-sampled programs are available, there is a drum sampler and a more complex keygroup sampler.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. That's bloody insane.

I repeat what I said before - I'm not selling my Toraiz. That's a keeper.

But Dear Akai (I would be very surprised if they are not reading these threads) - please don't mess this up, ok? Please deliver what you specify. Give a few units to some real monkeys so you will find out the bad bugs before release. If you do this - I'll buy one. Hell. If you deliver I might even buy both.

/C
Old 12th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Theres only a handful of people on the planet that make Good music, the rest just make music.

So true, but I often wonder how the productions sound from people that go on and on about specs. My stuff is pretty mediocre, but my entire studio consists of a 64G iPadAir, AT M50s and an Apogee One ...and I'm amazed at the specs LOL.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please deliver what you specify. Give a few units to some real monkeys so you will find out the bad bugs before release.
They already have a beta testing team that they do that with.

I would expect some bugs on release, I would wait a while if initial bugs were going to bug me too much and leave me buggin out.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
They already have a beta testing team that they do that with.
All developers have beta teams. The problem is having good beta testers that do things that pushes the software to its limits and measure stuff like latency, compatibility, sync timing etc. Good beta testers are hard to find. Beta testers that just want feel cool and try out hot new stuff are everywhere, and they are - in my opinion - close to worthless.

So the real beta would probably be the version that ships with the units, but that's nothing unique for Akai though.

/C
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Beta testers that just want feel cool and try out hot new stuff are everywhere, and they are - in my opinion - close to worthless.
LOL, one in particular comes to mind!

Quote:
So the real beta would probably be the version that ships with the units, but that's nothing unique for Akai though.
Yes, and why I wouldn't be grabbing one as soon as they are available, unless you can handle some bugs, and what might seem a long time for them to fix them.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

It's a coin toss to pre-order MPC. It might work or not. I'm willing to take risk as i'm about to start to arranging tracks for spring live gigs. I need it soon as possible so i know can i ditch laptop from live set. I have been using Laptop on stage since 2004. Never crashed, not a single hicup. That means that the big crash is coming.

Then again. As these are computers in a box who says they ain't gonna crash :D
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That means that the big crash is coming.
If it is important to you, you should have multiple backups of it.

I wouldn't expect it to be fully stable on release.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
So true, but I often wonder how the productions sound from people that go on and on about specs. My stuff is pretty mediocre, but my entire studio consists of a 64G iPadAir, AT M50s and an Apogee One ...and I'm amazed at the specs LOL.
The "deserved" users of higher end gear need to have the "undeserved" purchasing this gear as well or else gear companies would never make all the awesome gear.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search