The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai MPCX Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poserp View Post
Seems o.k. in this video --
Gosh it looks so good!
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Can we keep the MPC Live stuff with the 'MPC Live" thread, and the MPCX stuff with the.. you see where this going...
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
Can we keep the MPC Live stuff with the 'MPC Live" thread, and the MPCX stuff with the.. you see where this going...
There is no proper video out for X yet.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
are exact dimensions and weight known for both models by now?

haven't seen them so far.
You can find the weight at the end of the quickstart guides:

MPC X
Dimensions (width x depth x height):
19.9” x 16.7” x 3.4” / 50.5 x 42.4 x 8.7 cm (display flat)
19.9” x 15.3” x 8.4” / 50.5 x 38.8 x 21.4 cm (display upright)
Weight:
12.57 lbs. / 5.66 kg

MPC LIVE
16.7” x 8.8” x 2.7” / 424 x 224 x 69 mm
Weight:
5.9 lbs. / 2.7 kg
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear
Still no specs on the sequencer?
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
Still no specs on the sequencer?
Isn't it going to be the same as the MPC Software sequencer?

What specs are you looking for?
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post

just wondering if they made any updates to it
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:

Speaking of which, is there a comprehensive link to what you can (or maybe can't) do with MPC sequencing now?

I've tried to look at a manual the latest one I could find was before the Touch was even released. (1.8)
Old 11th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post

MPC X
Weight:
12.57 lbs. / 5.66 kg

MPC LIVE
Weight:
5.9 lbs. / 2.7 kg
ah, thanks i missed that.

the 5.66 kg is actually not bad for the big one, but 50.5cm x 42.4 is tad bulky to howl arround.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
There is no proper video out for X yet.

Haven't watched this next one myself, but...

Old 11th January 2017
Quote:
Best video I've seen so far, this is exactly what I've been holding out for.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Actually I have confidence in the MPC software with these brits doing the coding. They have worked on it for years, know what makes good workflow and seem very dedicated. Bravo Akai!
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
bought!
can't afford it, but it'll be sitting my sweetwater shopping cart for the next six months,
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Haven't watched this next one myself, but...

You should have before posting it. It's one of those videos where someone talks about product that they don't even have...

There is two user videos of Live but haven't seen any of the X. I guess that Akai have not given those to anyone yet. Those SOS sales videos are terrible.

I mean videos like this Live video that shows how audio tracks work:
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

That wasn't an SOS sales video, was it, whatever that it?

Quote:
I mean videos like this Live video that shows how audio tracks work:
...shows a little bit of how audio tracks work, could be a lot more in depth.

Too much blabbing on about nothing for my liking.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman Young View Post
Do any of you guys ever notice that the people who are most hung up on specs usually dont make good music.
Theres only a handful of people on the planet that make Good music, the rest just make music.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
...shows a little bit of how audio tracks work, could be a lot more in depth.

Too much blabbing on about nothing for my liking.
I don't think there is more depth to it. Guy shows how it works and what it can do.

It's MPC user being hyped about time stretch. Something that DAW user don't care. I'm amazed to see even that as they all have signed NDA.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think there is more depth to it. Guy shows how it works and what it can do.

It's MPC user being hyped about time stretch. Something that DAW user don't care. I'm amazed to see even that as they all have signed NDA.
I want to see audio being recorded into, what settings and other options there are related to audio tracks, if there is a view which shows the multiple audio tracks as waveforms beside the MIDI, if there are any non-realtime effects which can be applied to the audio tracks, etc.

Yes, he is hyped about timestretch, that is my point, too much focus on that, and nothing else really.

Akai would have given him permission to release the video, it is part of their marketing strategy, not really that amazing.

Doesn't really matter, I'm sure we'll see more on how the audio tracks function soon.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This video totally blew my mind. Wow. Just wow... I really really hope that Akai won't eff this up.

Does anyone know what the hardware is running? Someone said it's a small form-factor PC running Linux. Any confirmation on that? I wouldn't mind if it's a Linux PC under the hood and it would actually make some sense, but I really don't want to have minute+ booting times.

/C
Old 11th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
This video totally blew my mind. Wow. Just wow... I really really hope that Akai won't eff this up.

Does anyone know what the hardware is running? Someone said it's a small form-factor PC running Linux. Any confirmation on that? I wouldn't mind if it's a Linux PC under the hood and it would actually make some sense, but I really don't want to have minute+ booting times.

/C
From the quickstart guide (http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpc-x#downloads):

"Processor: 1.8 GHz quad-core ARM® Cortex® A17 processor
RAM: 2 GB
Storage: 16 GB (user storage, 10 GB pre-installed content), 4 GB (MPC operating system)
"

So, literally three weeks ago I was playing with the idea of getting an MPC Touch and one of those "stick" PCs to hack together an all-in-one solution (like this -- Intel® Compute Stick STK2m364CC Intel m3-6Y30 64GB Flash 4GB RAM PC Stick | Staples®). I wonder now if it's possible to shoehorn something like that into this as an "upgrade" at a later date...

...I don't know this stuff off-hand, so I don't know if the chipset is compatible, but I'm guessing this is what's physically in the Live/MPCX -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockchip_RK3288
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
From the quickstart guide (MPC X : Akai Professional - Iconic music production gear, including the legendary MPC

"Processor: 1.8 GHz quad-core ARM® Cortex® A17 processor
RAM: 2 GB Storage: 16 GB (user storage, 10 GB pre-installed content), 4 GB (MPC operating system)"
And is it Linux, or Windows?
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

MPC X
Weight:
12.57 lbs. / 5.66 kg

MPC LIVE
Weight:
5.9 lbs. / 2.7 kg

Last edited by SimonInAustralia; 11th January 2017 at 09:54 PM..
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Addict

Please excuse my lack of research but is anybody able to answer the following:

Can it record automation?

How deep is the sound design capabilities? I'm thinking is there any chance of it being on par with renoise's sampler

I'm guessing it may be a bit early to tell but does the current mpc software give any clues?

Thanks in advance
Old 11th January 2017
What mpc videos and mpc touch videos to get an idea of what an mpc is all about. Audio tracks are not it.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaispirits View Post
Can it record automation?
Yes

Quote:
How deep is the sound design capabilities? I'm thinking is there any chance of it being on par with renoise's sampler
The MPC drum and keygroup samplers are reasonable, probably not as much mangling capability as renoise with it's dedicated sampler effects, and modulation/fx macros.

But that probably depends on which features you use in renoise, and whether those same features are available in the MPC sampler.

You can use it in controller mode, with MPC Software running on the computer, and use third party plugin samplers that might provide more sound design capabilities than the factory MPC samplers, but it looks like third party plugins do not run in standalone mode.

Quote:
I'm guessing it may be a bit early to tell but does the current mpc software give any clues?
Yes, it will be very similar to the current MPC software.

You could download MPC Software, run it in demo mode, and have a play with the factory MPC samplers.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
And is it Linux, or Windows?
Linux... can't remember top of my head where I've read that but Dan the Man from Akai, Leader of the Wolfpack, has long said it's not Windows.

edit: it was Nick Batt on Facebook (he recorded videos with AKAI last week):
No it wont [host VSTs in standalone mode], the underlying OS is Linux, you can do everything else that MPC v 2.0 can though as far as we know
Old 11th January 2017
Here for the gear

I have question... there is one feature missing on my mpc2500. And f the X has it I will switch:

If I have multiple midi tracks. Can I then assign the Q-link encoders to different cc values spread over multiple midi tracks, and record this at the same time?

So for example.
Qknob 1 -> modwheel cc on track 1
Qknob 2 -> volume cc on track 2
Qknob 3 -> cc 64 on track2
Qknob 4 -> modwheel on track 3

Hit record, and record multiple track's cc-data at the same time?

Would be awesome
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
edit: it was Nick Batt on Facebook (he recorded videos with AKAI last week):
No it wont [host VSTs in standalone mode], the underlying OS is Linux, you can do everything else that MPC v 2.0 can though as far as we know
Thanks, was wondering if not supporting third party plugins was due to the OS, or the available processing power.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakulo View Post
Hit record, and record multiple track's cc-data at the same time?
Yes and no (with current software, no idea if 2.0 will be the same).

You can record different Qlinks onto different tracks, but only if they share the same program, as in the same MIDI port/channel/etc., and therefore control the same device, which is probably not what you want.

The Qlink assignment seems to be tied to the program, and the MIDI port/channel/etc. is also tied to that program.

EDIT: Though it does mention that Qlink functionality is upgraded in MPC Software version 2, so it will probably change from the way it is in version 1.9.x...

Quote:
Perform:

For performers, MPC 2.0 brings their presentation to the next level. MPC Software’s XYFX and a Phrase Looper now combines with an all-new Clip Program mode powered by MPC’s real-time warping algorithm, providing users with an intuitive clip launch workflow and the ultimate platform for creative versatility. Features like Enhanced Q-Link functionality for precision control mapping of MPCs editable functions and selectable hardware outputs providing seamless assimilation into multiple usage scenarios make MPC 2.0 a powerful creative tool.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, was wondering if not supporting third party plugins was due to the OS, or the available processing power.
There is quite a lot of reasons why standalone should not support third party plugins. It would be cool, but will not happen in near future.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search