The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai MPCX Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 10th January 2017
  #121
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
So... configuring my MIDI chain every time I want to make a track? Or leaving everything connected so when I want a sound I can just sequence on that output, on that channel?

Here's my dilemma that would be solved by having more MIDI outputs than three: I have a rack of synths that are sequenced by an RS7k, that rack is currently eating 15 channels of MIDI (and can easily eat more, if I so choose). That's DIN MIDI 1. I have a desktop which is currently in the process of being eaten by drum machines that I sequence externally. That's DIN MIDI 2.

So if I wanted to get more synths... What? I'm kind of out of options. 3 DIN outs is my bare minimum for new sequencing gear, personally. My studio grows by a piece every couple months, there's a 50/50 chance it'll be multitimbral, so it'd optimally eat up at least two channels.

No track will need everything all at once, that's not the point. The point is to sit down and make music with any piece of my gear without rewiring the studio every time I think I need a new sound.
That's fair. I respect your desire to have your studio set up whichever way you wish. Doesn't float my boat as I suffer from a pretty debilitating case of option paralysis , but perhaps the MPC X is the better choice for you? Or given that you have so much sonic firepower already, perhaps one of the older MPCs with 4 MIDI outs would work just as well?
Old 10th January 2017
  #122
Lives for gear
Mpc x has 4 midi outs so you're only half way to using all the midi channels this offers


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
So... configuring my MIDI chain every time I want to make a track? Or leaving everything connected so when I want a sound I can just sequence on that output, on that channel?

Here's my dilemma that would be solved by having more MIDI outputs than three: I have a rack of synths that are sequenced by an RS7k, that rack is currently eating 15 channels of MIDI (and can easily eat more, if I so choose). That's DIN MIDI 1. I have a desktop which is currently in the process of being eaten by drum machines that I sequence externally. That's DIN MIDI 2.

So if I wanted to get more synths... What? I'm kind of out of options. 3 DIN outs is my bare minimum for new sequencing gear, personally. My studio grows by a piece every couple months, there's a 50/50 chance it'll be multitimbral, so it'd optimally eat up at least two channels.

No track will need everything all at once, that's not the point. The point is to sit down and make music with any piece of my gear without rewiring the studio every time I think I need a new sound.
Old 10th January 2017
  #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
So... configuring my MIDI chain every time I want to make a track? Or leaving everything connected so when I want a sound I can just sequence on that output, on that channel?

Here's my dilemma that would be solved by having more MIDI outputs than three: I have a rack of synths that are sequenced by an RS7k, that rack is currently eating 15 channels of MIDI (and can easily eat more, if I so choose). That's DIN MIDI 1. I have a desktop which is currently in the process of being eaten by drum machines that I sequence externally. That's DIN MIDI 2.

So if I wanted to get more synths... What? I'm kind of out of options. 3 DIN outs is my bare minimum for new sequencing gear, personally. My studio grows by a piece every couple months, there's a 50/50 chance it'll be multitimbral, so it'd optimally eat up at least two channels.

No track will need everything all at once, that's not the point. The point is to sit down and make music with any piece of my gear without rewiring the studio every time I think I need a new sound.
The MPC X has four MIDI DIN outputs, so it exceeds your minimum of 3.

Also, what we're suggesting shouldn't require rewiring anything, though it may require reconfiguring what MIDI channel your gear is set to when you want to use a particular combination of gear. Unless we're just misunderstanding one another.
Old 10th January 2017
  #124
Yeah, just getting clear signals that the Live and the X aren't what I need. Pyramid has 3 separate addressable MIDI ports (DINx2, USB) and does polymeters and polyrhythms. And if I was going for an X, that's two grand that could go towards a Cirklon.

The more I think about it, this is hitting a really weird market. I'm glad, but just curious about how the live differs from the 1000 in terms of barebones sequencing and not interface. I like clips theoretically, but I don't have much use for them, so...

Last edited by Rayek; 10th January 2017 at 10:06 PM..
Old 10th January 2017
  #125
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthesignal View Post
The MPC X has four MIDI DIN outputs, so it exceeds your minimum of 3.

Also, what we're suggesting shouldn't require rewiring anything, though it may require reconfiguring what MIDI channel your gear is set to when you want to use a particular combination of gear. Unless we're just misunderstanding one another.
So, even worse, manually changing the MIDI Rx channels of each rackmount unit in my chain if I want to use them... Sounds horrible. My synths live on MIDI channels, they live on inputs of my mixer. If I want to sequence it, I send it notes on its channel, if I want to listen to it, I pull up its fader. ****'s gotta be quick. My studio sessions are so streamlined it takes me around 4 hours to make a track I like and another day to mix it/deep listen. I'm just currently reaching a limit as to how many channels the RS can address without cutting down and need to get something new.
Old 10th January 2017
  #126
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
So, even worse, manually changing the MIDI Rx channels of each rackmount unit in my chain if I want to use them...
Or you could change the MIDI transmit channel on each track of the MPC to one of the 32 or 64 available channels... Seems much more sensible to me... That's the way I do it, although my setup is much simpler, with only a couple of ROMplers and a rack sampler hanging off my 2500's MIDI ports

Last edited by mp3; 10th January 2017 at 08:14 PM..
Old 10th January 2017
  #127
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
Yeah, just getting clear signals that the Live and the X aren't what I need. Pyramid has 3 separate addressable MIDI ports (DINx2, MIDI) and does polymeters and polyrhythms. And if I was going for an X, that's two grand that could go towards a Cirklon.

The more I think about it, this is hitting a really weird market. I'm glad, but just curious about how the live differs from the 1000 in terms of barebones sequencing and not interface. I like clips theoretically, but I don't have much use for them, so...
to say that mpcs hit a really weird market is the craziest thing i heard. cirklon and the like are the weirder options if you think about channels modulating each other and self generating sequences, but hey there are musical geniuses all around the place.

in terms of barebones sequencing and not interface this will do all the 1000 can, the mpc 1000 without jjos doesn't support audio tracks like the mpcx (and live) which, on paper, looks very good. lets see how good it also works.
Old 10th January 2017
  #128
Registered User
I love these threads
Old 10th January 2017
  #129
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
So, even worse, manually changing the MIDI Rx channels of each rackmount unit in my chain if I want to use them... Sounds horrible. My synths live on MIDI channels, they live on inputs of my mixer. If I want to sequence it, I send it notes on its channel, if I want to listen to it, I pull up its fader. ****'s gotta be quick. My studio sessions are so streamlined it takes me around 4 hours to make a track I like and another day to mix it/deep listen. I'm just currently reaching a limit as to how many channels the RS can address without cutting down and need to get something new.
Create MIDI track on MPC. Change MIDI track port/channel to be port/channel of desired synth, all the while never touching the synth other than to turn it on - provided it can remember the proper MIDI channel when turned off.

Record on MPC, play on synth. MIDI recorded.

Play back on MPC, synth makes noises, provided your mixer channel fader is up.

I don't see why this is so difficult? You've got 64 of these possibilities w/ the X, not to mention the potential for USB MIDI as well.
Old 10th January 2017
  #130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Or you could change the MIDI transmit channel on each track of the MPC to one of the 32 or 64 available channels... Seems much more sensible to me... That's the way I do it, although my setup is much simpler, with only a couple of ROMplers and a rack sampler hanging off my 2500's MIDI ports
Haha now I know we're talking about the same thing... Don't know why there's confusion. I do the same thing, I just have more gear, so I need more MIDI channels. Simple.
Old 10th January 2017
  #131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
So, even worse, manually changing the MIDI Rx channels of each rackmount unit in my chain if I want to use them... Sounds horrible. My synths live on MIDI channels, they live on inputs of my mixer. If I want to sequence it, I send it notes on its channel, if I want to listen to it, I pull up its fader. ****'s gotta be quick. My studio sessions are so streamlined it takes me around 4 hours to make a track I like and another day to mix it/deep listen. I'm just currently reaching a limit as to how many channels the RS can address without cutting down and need to get something new.
Fair enough - the ease of changing Rx MIDI channels definitely ranges depending on the gear. At best, it can be done in only a few seconds with a couple of button presses (Vermona PERfourMER mkII) while others require opening the unit and changing jumpers (I'm looking at you Dreadbox Hades). I do it often with my two PERfourMERs because it provides a lot of flexibility for configuring the voices in different ways.

All that said, the only hardware sequencer I know of with more than 64 unique channels of MIDI is the Cirklon, so suggesting that this is "basic stuff" seems a bit overstated.
Old 10th January 2017
  #132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Create MIDI track on MPC. Change MIDI track port/channel to be port/channel of desired synth, all the while never touching the synth other than to turn it on - provided it can remember the proper MIDI channel when turned off.

Record on MPC, play on synth. MIDI recorded.

Play back on MPC, synth makes noises, provided your mixer channel fader is up.

I don't see why this is so difficult? You've got 64 of these possibilities w/ the X, not to mention the potential for USB MIDI as well.
Not talking about the X, talking about the Live.

I'll just quote the same thing you quoted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayek
If I want to sequence it, I send it notes on its channel, if I want to listen to it, I pull up its fader. ****'s gotta be quick.[...]I'm just currently reaching a limit as to how many channels the RS can address without cutting down and need to get something new.
I already work this way.

Like I said, there are multitimbral synths that do exist, even choosing one or two to timbres occupy channels on a MIDI chain can limit the size of your studio if you choose a 2-output MIDI sequencer.

Either way, this ****'s getting way out of hand since I was only asking if indeed the USB out port sends class-compliant MIDI, which unless something's happened since yesterday, nobody knows. I'd like 3, separately addressable MIDI outputs to increase the number of channels I can use with a potential sequencer.
Old 10th January 2017
  #133
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
Plugins work only with software. You will get option to bounce those for standalone use.
It specifically says that third party instrument and effect plugins are not available in standalone mode.

The Akai plugins are not third party, so they should work.
Old 10th January 2017
  #134
Gear Addict
 

Do any of you guys ever notice that the people who are most hung up on specs usually dont make good music.
Old 10th January 2017
  #135
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
Haha now I know we're talking about the same thing... Don't know why there's confusion. I do the same thing, I just have more gear, so I need more MIDI channels. Simple.
True. My 2500 has four MIDI ports, so I just dedicate a port to each of my three gears. Sometimes when I'm feeling extra frisky I'll use the fourth to sequence software sound modules I do plan on picking up either a volca kick or an mbase 11 at some point, however.

Perhaps running two sequencers synced is your solution? Like keep your RS7k and the synths attached to it, and add an MPC Live (or Pyramid or whatever tickles your fancy) to sequence the rest? Otherwise I don't see anything better than an MPC with its attendant 4 MIDI ports and 64 channels.

Being that sequencing is your main objective, I'd actually opine that one of the older units might be better for you. The new models offer touch screen step-sequencing and MIDI editing, and that's actually pretty damn cool, but the 2500 with JJOS is perhaps the best (non-algorithmic non-polyrhythmic etc etc) hardware sequencer ever made. Then there's the rock solid timing of the 3000 and 4000 and the slightly tipsy groove of the 60.

Actually, come to think of it, the MPC software can address any MIDI port/channel available to your computer, so you could run it with the 8x8 MIDI interface of your choice. And you could control it from the Live/X (or Ren or Studio or Touch) so it would feel like hardware

Anyway, hope you find what you're looking for!
Old 10th January 2017
  #136
are exact dimensions and weight known for both models by now?

haven't seen them so far.
Old 10th January 2017
  #137
Lives for gear
 
greenlights's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman Young View Post
Do any of you guys ever notice that the people who are most hung up on specs usually dont make good music.

Hey Hey Hey there, now that's not nice.
Old 10th January 2017
  #138
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
are exact dimensions and weight known for both models by now?

haven't seen them so far.
Dimensions are on the official spec pages:
MPC X : Akai Professional - Iconic music production gear, including the legendary MPC
MPC Live : Akai Professional - Iconic music production gear, including the legendary MPC

Haven't seen anything about weight.
Old 10th January 2017
  #139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
Not talking about the X, talking about the Live.
Now I'm really confused by this whole exchange for two reasons:
This is the MPC X thread...there is a separate thread for the Live.
If you're in need of 3+ MIDI DIN outputs, why aren't you considering the X, which has 4?
Old 10th January 2017
  #140
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Actually, come to think of it, the MPC software can address any MIDI port/channel available to your computer, so you could run it with the 8x8 MIDI interface of your choice.
Except you can only access 4 MIDI outputs at a time, as set in the MIDI mapping section of the preferences, unless they change that.
Old 10th January 2017
  #141
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthesignal View Post
Now I'm really confused by this whole exchange for two reasons:
This is the MPC X thread...there is a separate thread for the Live.
If you're in need of 3+ MIDI DIN outputs, why aren't you considering the X, which has 4?
There wasn't when I started commenting, as far as I know. This thread popped up right as stuff got leaked. People have been talking about both this whole thread.

The X is a grand more, and while I'd like to be able to brush that off for 4 DINs I can't currently. Not to mention it's giant.

Like I said, this exchange has fairly talked me out of either, so some thanks are in order.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Perhaps running two sequencers synced is your solution? Like keep your RS7k and the synths attached to it, and add an MPC Live (or Pyramid or whatever tickles your fancy) to sequence the rest? Otherwise I don't see anything better than an MPC with its attendant 4 MIDI ports and 64 channels.
I know someone who bought two pyramids because he needed more accessible MIDI channels... And he has probably twice the gear I have, so that makes some sense

You make good points for sure. Since we really don't know their limits as far as sequencing there is still some chance one of these boxes could work for my studio... if there's an upcoming mode that allows polymeters, and if the USB out is MIDI class compliant, the live would be a sweet pick up for me, having 2 DINs and an optional 3rd.

Anyway... On with the thread
Old 10th January 2017
  #142
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
and if the USB out is MIDI class compliant, the live would be a sweet pick up for me, having 2 DINs and an optional 3rd.
I doubt it will.

The USB Out is for connecting to your computer, I don't think the computer would communicate with the MPC via class compliant MIDI, I suspect that it will need it's own drivers.

Maybe the other two USB ports will allow class compliant MIDI output.
Old 10th January 2017
  #143
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

I find it odd as a sampler there's no mention of sample rate?

Is there audio over USB?
Old 10th January 2017
  #144
For those concerned about polymetric and polyrhythmic programming, I am assuming that like earlier MPCs, you can make sequences up to several hundred measures long. If you want a polyrhythm, program your kick (or whatever) in 4s and your snare at 5 (or whatever). When it loops around, that's how long your sequence needs to be. Or multiply that nimber by any other number if you want it to be longer. I've programmed sequences on an MPC1000 where there are simultaneous tracks in 3, 4, 7 and 15. You don't even need to do math.....just set up a very long sequence and play until you hear it loop, then trim or multiply the sequence length as needed.
Old 10th January 2017
  #145
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I find it odd as a sampler there's no mention of sample rate?

Is there audio over USB?
Yes. Quickstart guide is up, which has answers to a bunch of these questions: MPC Live : Akai Professional - Iconic music production gear, including the legendary MPC

To quote from the guide -- "USB-B Port: Use the included USB cable to connect this high-retention-force USB port to an available USB port on your computer. This connection allows MPC Live to send/receive MIDI
and audio data to/from the MPC software on your computer. You can power MPC Live via the USB port only, but the display will be disabled."
Old 10th January 2017
  #146
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
a rack sampler hanging off my 2500's MIDI ports
You use the MPC midi sequencer go drive a rack sampler! That's slutty and yes I can see why you wouldn't want to be limited to only the MPC2500 sample engine.
Old 10th January 2017
  #147
Lives for gear
 
El-Burrito's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I find it odd as a sampler there's no mention of sample rate?
44k, 24bit in standalone mode and 96k, 24bit in controller mode.
Old 10th January 2017
  #148
Lives for gear
 
Tnsl's Avatar
I wonder how responsive the touch screen it is... im sure it's not the same as in an ipad... maybe it's possible to connect a mouse over one of the usb ports
Old 10th January 2017
  #149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transilmania View Post
I wonder how responsive the touch screen it is... im sure it's not the same as in an ipad... maybe it's possible to connect a mouse over one of the usb ports
Seems o.k. in this video --
Old 10th January 2017
  #150
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
You use the MPC midi sequencer go drive a rack sampler! That's slutty and yes I can see why you wouldn't want to be limited to only the MPC2500 sample engine.
Nah man its only because that particular rack sampler has a completely different feature set from my 2500. Its a VP9000. I'm not into duplication; I won the war against my inner slut a LONG time ago! I think...

I do have two ROMplers (well actually three, Fantom X, Motif XS, and M3 but one of them is on the way out the door, just don't know which one yet) but that's because I need them for gigging purposes.

In the interest of full disclosure, however, I will admit that I own an ASR-10, but that's in a softcase in the basement awaiting the next time I get the itch to play with it. Just haven't yet been able to bring myself to part with it...
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump