The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai MPCX Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
I checked the spec, but it's still not clear to me. Is this a proper sampler that can multi-sample or is it a single notes and loop player?
Proper.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

I really hope it has some sort of vintage modes. If D16 can nail it with their plugins, I don't see why Akai wouldn't include some emulations.

I'm not complaining though. I've been waiting for this day for a loooong time. The MPC5k came out in what.. 2008? And sold for $3499. The MPCX is a million times more capable and cheaper, inflation included.

I might get one one day just to travel with. An iPad and the MPCX would be a stellar combo.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
I think a lot of people are forgetting that the current AKAI has little to do with the Japanese company that made so many great machines in the past. They're owned by inMusic, which also owns Numark, Alesis, M-Audio, Denon, etc, and make mostly crap plastic MIDI controllers these days. I predict these machines will arrive, be disappointing, not be supported well, and discounted within 9 months when a "new" version gets talked about.

I loved AKAI. I still have an S612 and S950.

This is not the same AKAI. That company never would've released the Rhythm Wolf, Timbre Wolf, Tom Cat, etc. I'll get heat for this post but I think I'm right. Time will tell.
Couldn't agree more and I've been saying similar on other threads, of course we could be wrong but yeah, timbre wolf etc
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Solid products by Akai here. There is still a market for a sampler with lots of LFOs, Envs, and effects. And I guess that's not Akai's thing in the first place.
Old 10th January 2017
As these run the 2.0 software, that's the place to go for features:

https://ask.audio/articles/akai-mpc-...re-reaches-2-0

I'm getting the Live. I've been on the fence about getting a daily production box for awhile, something that I can schlep on the train/bus/use at lunch and this is it. Also does clip launching and other things; I've never really been a an Ableton Live person but having that along with a good midi sequencer in a dedicated battery-powered box is very nice. Now, if Yamaha would do something similar with the QY70/100...

...Adding, you could probably DJ a set off this thing too, or at least the specs make it sound like that's possible. Cool.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Solid products by Akai here. There is still a market for a sampler with lots of LFOs, Envs, and effects. And I guess that's not Akai's thing in the first place.
We still don't know full specs, but i guess these will be quite simple. But isn't Octatrack made for that?

For now MPC Live looks it could replace Ableton Live in my live sets. If it can really run 8 audio tracks that i can effect with knobs and touch screen and also have full blown sequencer with sampler and 6 outs then it's more than i asked.

Pioneer really cripled Toraiz with the 32sec sample limit.
Old 10th January 2017
Next questions are polymeters and MIDI over USB? Both look like a no...
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Just seen the UK pricing - £1449. (probably closer to 1299 once it hits).

That's not as bad as expected. I wish they'd do them in the old AKAI beige. I love that colour.

Will also be interested to see if this thing is a giant metal box like my old 2000XL.

The touchscreen is a great idea.
Old 10th January 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
I think a lot of people are forgetting that the current AKAI has little to do with the Japanese company that made so many great machines in the past.
That's true, but the English and American designers of those classic products - Tim Orr, David Cockerell, Chris Huggett and Roger Linn - moved on many years ago. All that to say, Akai lost its way long before inMusic arrived.

That said, the spec of MPCX is highly encouraging. Have to see how that translates from the CAD.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Could someone who's familiar with the MPC OS answer a basic question: can you map the knobs to control the volume of individual samples and save the settings as pad bank settings?
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

I believe so. You can do this when the QLinks are operating in PGM mode (program) as opposed to FX mode. Each QLink has the ability to control the Layer1-4 level. It looks to me like you have to also assign this QLink knob to a particular pad. So you can control volume level of a sample layer with a QLink knob, but it looks like it has to be per Pad. I just tried to control the level of Layer 1 globally, and it doesn't work (and I don't think that makes much sense, but I tried it just for this answer).

From what I'm seeing, the QLink do not appear to be banked, but the pads are. So you can assign 16 params. The QLinks can only be in FX or PGM mode at a time though, so I don't think you can have some doing FX control and some doing PGM control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Could someone who's familiar with the MPC OS answer a basic question: can you map the knobs to control the volume of individual samples and save the settings as pad bank settings?
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
We still don't know full specs, but i guess these will be quite simple. But isn't Octatrack made for that?
For each pad in your program, you get: 1 LFO, 1 Filter (selectable multi-mode), Amp ENV, Filt ENV, and velocity modulation - plus velocity switching between 4 layers if you want. This is per pad. Actually, also looks like there is velocity per layer per pad. 4 FX inserts per pad.

Same list applies per KeyGroup - which is like a pad, but it's a range stretched over an amount of keys playing/shifting the same sample.

KeyGroups also have key tracking and aftertouch->Filter amounts.

I will say this, the filters, in my experience, are very sensitive to clipping when resonance is applied. There appears to be no saturation modeling in the current models. So unlike my Virus filter that hardly ever digital clips, the MPC filters, per pad, seems to just go straight to digital clipping if you crank the resonance. Kind of annoying really, but I'm sure you get used to making adjustments.

Quote:
Pioneer really cripled Toraiz with the 32sec sample limit.
Yeah, I didn't want to buy that just knowing that there was a limit present. Would it actually affect me? Don't know and don't care to find out. Don't want to be $1500 into something and then have to work around an arbitrary limitation in 2016/2017. But I'd get drilled for saying this in the Toraiz thread.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
I believe so. You can do this when the QLinks are operating in PGM mode (program) as opposed to FX mode. Each QLink has the ability to control the Layer1-4 level. It looks to me like you have to also assign this QLink knob to a particular pad. So you can control volume level of a sample layer with a QLink knob, but it looks like it has to be per Pad. I just tried to control the level of Layer 1 globally, and it doesn't work (and I don't think that makes much sense, but I tried it just for this answer).

From what I'm seeing, the QLink do not appear to be banked, but the pads are. So you can assign 16 params. The QLinks can only be in FX or PGM mode at a time though, so I don't think you can have some doing FX control and some doing PGM control.
Great answer, thanks

Too bad you have to choose between FX and PGM mode though, and it would be much better if the knob settings could change with different pad banks.
Old 10th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
Next questions are polymeters and MIDI over USB? Both look like a no...
Do you mean polymeter with the step sequencing? Because with standard MPC sequencing, the world is your oyster...just bang out polymeter on the pads for as many bars as you want.

Regarding MIDI over USB, do you mean MIDI out? Because it at least supports MIDI IN via the USB host ports. That's the point of them...per the official Akai page: "the X also features two USB slots that can be used for MIDI controller connectivity"
Old 10th January 2017
Just got an octatrack in a trade. Have been waiting to use it when I have time. Now I'm wondering with the real time stretching and looping and **** on the MPC, if the octatrack is worth keeping, since I'm more used to the MPC workflow anyway.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

A bit more info.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
For each pad in your program, you get: 1 LFO, 1 Filter (selectable multi-mode), Amp ENV, Filt ENV, and velocity modulation - plus velocity switching between 4 layers if you want. This is per pad. Actually, also looks like there is velocity per layer per pad. 4 FX inserts per pad.

Same list applies per KeyGroup - which is like a pad, but it's a range stretched over an amount of keys playing/shifting the same sample.

KeyGroups also have key tracking and aftertouch->Filter amounts.
Thanks!
Are pads polyphonic or KeyGroups?
As you can play chords with pads are they available per pad r per keygroup or does it even matter?
Also can the keygroup have multisamples like multisampled rhodes?
Old 10th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
Thanks!
Are pads polyphonic or KeyGroups?
As you can play chords with pads are they available per pad r per keygroup or does it even matter?
Also can the keygroup have multisamples like multisampled rhodes?
For drum programs, each pad can be set to trigger its assigned samples polyphonically or monophonically. There is also a program-level mono/poly setting. Third you also have mute groups. For keygroup programs, the poly/mono setting is at the program level.

Not sure about the pad to chord thing.

Each keygroup contains a set of layered or velocity split samples. To make up a multisample program with key splits and such, you would just need multiple keygroups, each assigned to its own keyrange.
Old 10th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthesignal View Post
Do you mean polymeter with the step sequencing? Because with standard MPC sequencing, the world is your oyster...just bang out polymeter on the pads for as many bars as you want.

Regarding MIDI over USB, do you mean MIDI out? Because it at least supports MIDI IN via the USB host ports. That's the point of them...per the official Akai page: "the X also features two USB slots that can be used for MIDI controller connectivity"
Yes, I'm talking different pattern lengths/time signatures that loop independently, but are the same BPM. Standard MPC sequencing doesn't do this, AFAIK the only decent sequencers that do are the Pyramid and the RS7k. Thousands of threads about it at this point.

And yeah, I'd like to get an iConnect MIDI on the USB out and use it like another DIN MIDI out and sequence hardware. You can do this on a Pyramid, but as of yet no mention of MIDI over USB on the outputs, just keyboards/controllers on the inputs.
Old 10th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
And yeah, I'd like to get an iConnect MIDI on the USB out and use it like another DIN MIDI out and sequence hardware. You can do this on a Pyramid, but as of yet no mention of MIDI over USB on the outputs, just keyboards/controllers on the inputs.
These units have either two or four DIN MIDI outs already. I'm not gonna be the one to tell you you don't need a third/fifth, but even if it has USB MIDI, I would check the fine print to make sure it is simultaneously and independently addressable alongside the other MIDI outs.
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Addict

are plug in instruments in "the bank" considered 3rd party? Or will they be playable in stand alone mode?
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think a lot of people are forgetting that the current AKAI has little to do with the Japanese company that made so many great machines in the past.
Not to mention that even those required a third party os to really shine.
Old 10th January 2017
Quote:
Yes, I'm talking different pattern lengths/time signatures that loop independently, but are the same BPM. Standard MPC sequencing doesn't do this, AFAIK the only decent sequencers that do are the Pyramid and the RS7k. Thousands of threads about it at this point.
On the one hand, you're correct that standard MPC sequencing (on previous models at least) doesn't give you the structural tools to loop separate tracks or patterns with different lengths concurrently. On the other hand, the MPC sequencer is a wide open canvas that allows you to play parts however you want within a pattern. So, you can easily achieve polymeter by simply setting the pattern length as long as you need to for the polymetric parts to align and then play the polymetric parts, repeating as many times as needed to fill the pattern. That's what I was referring to in my response. I do definitely see the benefit of building in those abilities to the structural elements of the sequencer though.

Quote:
Just curious...why would you prefer this to using a splitting MIDI Thru box like the MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru via one of the DIN outputs?
Old 10th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
Not to mention that even those required a third party os to really shine.
If, by 'those', you mean two out of twenty plus, then yeah, you're right.

edit: I do realize this thread essentially serves as the boo bird thread, and I respect that and I appreciate the fact that this thread serves to keep the real threads clean, but at least be factual guys.
Old 10th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthesignal View Post
Just curious...why would you prefer this to using a splitting MIDI Thru box like the MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru via one of the DIN outputs?
Cmon guys, this is basic stuff...

Only 16 channels of MIDI can be addressed via a single MIDI port. A Blofeld set up multitimbrally can eat all 16, for example. A Tx81z and an M1 together can eat up 16 channels. Thru boxes are for the slew of new synths and drum machines that don't have Thru ports on them for a MIDI chain, pretty useless otherwise, unless you worry about distributing clock evenly and don't trust MIDI thru in regards to timing.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtray187 View Post
are plug in instruments in "the bank" considered 3rd party? Or will they be playable in stand alone mode?
Plugins work only with software. You will get option to bounce those for standalone use.
Old 10th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

@Rayek I said I wasn't gonna be the one to tell you how many MIDI outs you need, but 32/64 different sounds is a lot of sounds in one track.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Many cats won't care about this anymore, but are there any infos on proper Midi Timecode (MTC), Midi Clock and MMC functionality already?
Old 10th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
@Rayek I said I wasn't gonna be the one to tell you how many MIDI outs you need, but 32/64 different sounds is a lot of sounds in one track.
So... configuring my MIDI chain every time I want to make a track? Or leaving everything connected so when I want a sound I can just sequence on that output, on that channel?

Here's my dilemma that would be solved by having more MIDI outputs than three: I have a rack of synths that are sequenced by an RS7k, that rack is currently eating 15 channels of MIDI (and can easily eat more, if I so choose). That's DIN MIDI 1. I have a desktop which is currently in the process of being eaten by drum machines that I sequence externally. That's DIN MIDI 2.

So if I wanted to get more synths... What? I'm kind of out of options. 3 DIN outs is my bare minimum for new sequencing gear, personally. My studio grows by a piece every couple months, there's a 50/50 chance it'll be multitimbral, so it'd optimally eat up at least two channels.

No track will need everything all at once, that's not the point. The point is to sit down and make music with any piece of my gear without rewiring the studio every time I think I need a new sound.
Old 10th January 2017
Quote:
Cmon guys, this is basic stuff...

Only 16 channels of MIDI can be addressed via a single MIDI port. A Blofeld set up multitimbrally can eat all 16, for example. A Tx81z and an M1 together can eat up 16 channels. Thru boxes are for the slew of new synths and drum machines that don't have Thru ports on them for a MIDI chain, pretty useless otherwise, unless you worry about distributing clock evenly and don't trust MIDI thru in regards to timing.
In other words, you need more than 64 channels of simultaneous MIDI via MIDI DIN. I don't think I'd call that "basic" or even "typical" but to each their own.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search