The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai MPCX Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Scribble strips and CV... Akai really goes into modern integration lands with this.

Looks like after 6 years the days of my Maschine are slowly going to an end.
Old 9th January 2017
Here for the gear

It will be great to get rid of independent pieces of equipment and finally have something to unify with. It will increase my workflow and decrease clutter. I can't wait to get one.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Hate here is quite funny. Same company just realeased this bunch of expensive DJ gear:
Denon DJ: SC5000, VL12 Turntable, X1800 Mixer, Engine Prime - DJ TechTools

No hate in DJ crowd towards In Music owned Denon. Look close and you see same hardware used than in new MPC's. Comes from same place.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
Hate here is quite funny. Same company just realeased this bunch of expensive DJ gear:

No hate in DJ crowd towards In Music owned Denon. Look close and you see same hardware used than in new MPC's. Comes from same place.
Probably because Akai once was a company many musicians looked up to. After InMusic took over they started dicking around with some questionable products that just smelled money-grab. I don't know if the Denon brand experienced the same. I hope not.

/C
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Well, regardless of company history this looks a very worthwhile product to me. It's essentially been asked for for about ten years, and it also seems to sound pretty good from first impressions. Time will tell about reliability and build , support and things like that, but I have a feeling it's going be pretty respectable. It's just the kind of product a lot of people want, really .
Old 9th January 2017
Here for the gear

eBay is about to be flooded with old MPC's with ridiculous prices. Something strange about someone selling a 2000xl for $900 with $120 shipping..but wait! There's more..you get 5 floppies with custom kits by someone who no one knows. Aahhh but he is legend Nah I'm just kidding guys.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

if they'd of stuck a few CV/Gates on the MPC live i'd of been throwing my money at them.

Beautiful machines indeed, however once i cool off and get thinking I'm just not sure how they would actually improve my music, the music they did in the demo's i found very uninspiring which didn't help.
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Maniac

can the current mpc software be demo'd without a hardware to authorize it? ive ignored MPC stuff since the 1000 but this has got me interested again.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post

what? lots of comments there are negative, blaiming denon for copying Pioneer.

And denon was not so long ago the cheap alternative to Pioneer, and were never the desired brand. And their awful rubber buttons sucked.
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Head

Ableton could end the madness if they could get Live running on a tablet and have a docking port on a push.
Old 10th January 2017
If it works, it's my dream machine.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear
is there specific specs on the sequencer yet?
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Addict

The real question is whether or not they bothered to keep the sequencer 100% jitter free while throwing in every last kitchen sink feature they could think of.

I really want this to be dope, but I have about ZERO faith in modern Akai.

If It actually works as advertised without a bunch of software ****ups, glitches, and gotchas(and it sounds good), then I will pick one up and it will be the center of my studio until I quit making music.
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Addict

I also wonder if Pioneer will ****can the SP-16 now that they have some real competition.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
It's not just the looks: both have X in their name, both are hybrid, both are flagships, both have a starting price of $2199, both have CV/Gate, both double up as standalone and MIDI controllers, both are in reaction to long standing user requests, both are a forward-looking mix of old and new, both have terms like "Beast" and "Unleash" in their marketing blurbs...

There's something in the air
Both look ugly as hell.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
That makes no sense, X is significantly more hardware than Live.
All discussions about cost are irrelevant, stupid and unproductive. The MPCX is easily worth $2,000 if it does everything it says on the box. Someone's feeling about the price should be in a moan zone forum.
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahh View Post
Both look ugly as hell.
I'd love to see what GhostInMPC can do with them.
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Scribble strips and CV... Akai really goes into modern integration lands with this.

Looks like after 6 years the days of my Maschine are slowly going to an end.
Akai is already making America great again !
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
if they'd of stuck a few CV/Gates on the MPC live i'd of been throwing my money at them.

Beautiful machines indeed, however once i cool off and get thinking I'm just not sure how they would actually improve my music, the music they did in the demo's i found very uninspiring which didn't help.
If the audio outputs are DC coupled, they could add a plugin in like expert sleepers and make the 4 extra line outs put out CV.

It'll never actually happen though.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

damn it... i was going to sell my MPC 2000XL with the EFX card and CF card reader in it. guess i'll hang on to it now since no one will want one. i picked up an MPC 1000 with JJOS 2XL and was considering getting a 2500 with JJOS 2XL. i really like the features of the JJOS, but i also like the MPC software... this sucker is pricey (for me) but it looks the business. the CV/Gate (stereo split) is very tempting for me, i have 3 cv/gate mono synths that i love noodling with.
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Head

Jack of all trades master of??
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Updated sample engine and I´m in

basic Ren sampler ala: 1x lfo 2x envelope scenario is rather basic for a 2017 sampler

I hope for:
3x envelopes
2x LFOs
Mod matrix
MPC4000 layering (cutoff per layer)
EQ on mixer tracks

specs anywhere ??
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duderancher View Post
Ableton could end the madness if they could get Live running on a tablet and have a docking port on a push.
Runs excelent in a surface pro.
Old 10th January 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
the CV/Gate (stereo split) is very tempting for me, i have 3 cv/gate mono synths that i love noodling with.
Yeah, I've got an Erebus, MiniBrute and MicroBrute with a Nyx arriving any day now. They've outgrown my BSP. Need more info on MPC X's sequencer, though.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksitter View Post
Jack of all trades master of??
Ditching the computer for writing, jamming and playing live.
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skryptrs View Post
eBay is about to be flooded with old MPC's with ridiculous prices. Something strange about someone selling a 2000xl for $900 with $120 shipping..but wait! There's more..you get 5 floppies with custom kits by someone who no one knows. Aahhh but he is legend Nah I'm just kidding guys.
The same here in Europe. I wanted to buy a 2000xl in 2013 and the regular price was around 400€. I even saw a used vanilla 2000 for 100€ once.
But nowadays the vanilla is offered for 500€ and the 2000xl around 700€.
Who even buy those machines these days?! They are not even hyped like the Roland stuff.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Dedicate couple of midi channels to cv/gate is not an exit?
Old 10th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
Dedicate couple of midi channels to cv/gate is not an exit?
well if you mean adding a midi-to-cv converter the answer is yes and no.

it can work to an extent, but you automatically lose the perfect, better-than-midi timing the system where cpu drives digital signals direct to DAC and shoots DC output. - native resolution of your audio project, like 44100 or 48000 points in a second becomes resolution of your sequencer - so native cv/gate de facto allows sample accurate precision of control signals and notes.

another thing you lose is dynamics (from 24bit i.e. 16.7 levels to measly 127 levels of midi cc standard). so your modulations, for example drawing a filter sweep, don't have the ultra smooth resolution anymore but are stepped and slugish.

that being said, depending on the implementation and quality of midi output, to keep the latency and jitter at minimum, if you just need plain notes it can work for some genres. but imo the biggest demand for cv/gate comes from the explosion that is currently eurorack, and in this world there is strong preference for native cv/gate if possible. midi is simply too crude to take advantage of infinite resolution offered by the modular.

in any case,a giant step for akai bringing this functionality to mPc.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Runs excelent in a surface pro.
really! do tell? vstis nice also?
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

I checked the spec, but it's still not clear to me. Is this a proper sampler that can multi-sample or is it a single notes and loop player? I have my studio full of proper samplers, but the MPC Live looks like a nice tool to bring when traveling or on vacation, small and battery powered.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search