The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai MPCX Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
I think the MPC X should be priced the same as MPC Live.
That makes no sense, X is significantly more hardware than Live.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

BTW, Sonicstate has some videos of the new MPCs coming up.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

I think a lot of people are forgetting that the current AKAI has little to do with the Japanese company that made so many great machines in the past. They're owned by inMusic, which also owns Numark, Alesis, M-Audio, Denon, etc, and make mostly crap plastic MIDI controllers these days. I predict these machines will arrive, be disappointing, not be supported well, and discounted within 9 months when a "new" version gets talked about.

I loved AKAI. I still have an S612 and S950.

This is not the same AKAI. That company never would've released the Rhythm Wolf, Timbre Wolf, Tom Cat, etc. I'll get heat for this post but I think I'm right. Time will tell.
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Head

What lind of effects and mixing possibilities come with IT(standalone)? Is IT possible to install other vsts?
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Head

Damn Norwegian autocorrect!!
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Old 9th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
I think a lot of people are forgetting that the current AKAI has little to do with the Japanese company that made so many great machines in the past. They're owned by inMusic, which also owns Numark, Alesis, M-Audio, Denon, etc, and make mostly crap plastic MIDI controllers these days. I predict these machines will arrive, be disappointing, not be supported well, and discounted within 9 months when a "new" version gets talked about.

This is not the same AKAI. That company never would've released the Rhythm Wolf, Timbre Wolf, Tom Cat, etc. I'll get heat for this post but I think I'm right. Time will tell.
I think a lot of people were waiting for you to tell them that. Because I think a lot of people live under rocks.
Old 9th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
I suppose its 8 CV outs could control a Vermona DRM1 MKIII with Gate/Trigger Inputs. Looks like the prices went down. Might be a hell of a setup.
An MPC is an excellent sequencer to pair with a DRM1 mkIII, but using MIDI if it's available is a much better option than Gate Triggers, for the sole reason that the DRM1 mkIII responds to velocity over MIDI, but only does fixed velocity with the Gate triggers.

I think the CV/Gate outputs on the MPC X are mainly there for sequencing modular and semi-modular synths. Assuming you can sequence CV changes with Q-link, this could be an awesome pairing with something like a Moog Mother 32 or Korg MS-20 to sequence not just pitch CV, but other combinations of filter or modulator control voltages.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm an mpc3000, 1000 and Ren/Mpc software user since day one. Akai have actually done a great job with the software over the last few years and I really dig it and use it a lot. This whole thing that old ones are the golden ticket doesn't really hold true for me anymore. The 3000 I have swings like it has a large pair of AND yeah its sound bangs hard too, but the workflow and capabilities though okay are very limited. I like the fact the new standalone machines do so much, and integrate slickly. Limitations are also good but not to the point of those limits slowing down workflow. I'll be jumping on the X if it lives up to my expectations once tested to the brink.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

i own mpc 60 and 3k but heard great things of the new akai software and know many people have been very pleased with it, or should i say many 'cats'

the fact that this is standalone shows that the new akai is somewhat listening and if this is stable enough then it will do what all of us wanted from the new mpc, everything else in it is already good enough. the design of course is not as sexy as a 3k imho, many have been looking forward to a new design, this is not it but i quite like the way it looks.
Old 9th January 2017
Controller Mode: Windows 8.1 or newer
Controller Mode: Mac OS X 10.9.5 or newer
MPC 2.0: Minimum 2GB free disk space (20GB for all content), Minimum 4GB RAM (8GB recommended), Minimum Dual-core 2.5GHz CPU

Crap ... time to upgrade Windows.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm bloody skeptical about anything Akai puts out these days. Got a Toraiz and the workflow is absolutely brilliant. That being said... for the first time in many long years, I'm actually interested in what Akai are doing. This could actually be the 5h!t. If they deliver I could easily see myself buying one of those. But that will be earliest 6 months after release. Not being a first day buyer on this one.

Some observations.

1) In the MPC Live video the touch screen seems to be a bit slow. Hope that's because of unfinished code rather than an underspecced processor.

2) The demos are dreadful. One of the big reasons why Elektrons are selling their mad boxes is because of Dateline/Cenk. That guy can demo. These two guys look like they rather be somewhere else.

3) Fan vents? Or just air vents? We cannot have fans in these things.

But... cool! I have zero confidence in Akai, but I'll be watching this. From a distance

/C
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear
Can you imagine the bugs upon release
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Addict

Is it 44/16bit still? I'm still using my MPC4k for its 24bit quality.
Old 9th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjohnrambo View Post
No one needs more than 12bit on an mpc
Old 9th January 2017
ah im well aware you "can't have everything" yadda yadda,, but i would have liked the smaller one was without the riaa stiff, and had the cv/gates. that would be ideal. i mean, the big one has it all, but its the size makes it little less portable. but i cant be picky, its a humongous advancement that another of the bigger manufacturers has finally realized the potential of more serious cv/gate interfacing/sequencing.

anyways, if these deliver on the sound quality and build quality/qc and especially if onboard CPU can manage all of it without a flinch, it seems like a humongous jump in the right direction for Akai. a new standard for hardware sequencing overall i think. bridging a gap btwn advanced studio daws, and lighter simpler but limited hardware midi and cv boxes.

quite an unexpected and killer spec i dare say, especially if looking from a live electronic musician pov - onboard 16G, capability to have ssd built in, audio/drum/midi/launch tracks, additions of cv/gate and four midi outs.. usb host inputs for kbd controllers!!... oled parameter displays on pots...

if i need the old Akai sound i will hook up my s950 to one of the midi outputs. for live i'll just track these lines in, to be used as clips.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjohnrambo View Post
Some leaked specs have said in stand-alone it is 44.1k 16 bit, as a controller for MPC software 2.0 it is 96k 24 bit. But I can't find that info anywhere straight from Akai.

What I am wondering about are the AD/DA convertors capable of 96k 24 bit. If so, I can sell off my present audio interface to help fund this beast.
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgordito View Post
No one needs more than 12bit on an mpc
yes! That's why I keep my S950 around.

I read through all their release notes and they don't make any mention of sample/bit rate, so maybe it is 12 bit after all
Old 9th January 2017
The MPC 2500 was roughly $3000 when it came out so the price of this isn't so bad in comparison. I just bought one yesterday too. I'm gonna hang on to it and wait until the glitch > patch > glitch > patch iterations with this new machine are long over with. I'm still pissed about this bogusness with the Beatstep Pro so I'm happy to pull up a chair and read the reviews for the 1st year or so of this things life. Then, assuming all the gremlins are patched and the software is stable I might consider the upgrade.
Till then I got my basses covered.
Old 9th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
Some leaked specs have said in stand-alone it is 44.1k 16 bit, as a controller for MPC software 2.0 it is 96k 24 bit. But I can't find that info anywhere straight from Akai.

What I am wondering about are the AD/DA convertors capable of 96k 24 bit. If so, I can sell off my present audio interface to help fund this beast.
It would make no sense marrying 24/96 software to converters that can't handle that bitdepth/samplerate. So hopefully they didn't do that...
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
so responsive...
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Addict

So will these units run the included "instruments " you can play via midi controller like "the bank"
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Let's also not forget that Inmusic's ceo big Boss 'Jack O’Donnell' stopped paying royalties to Roger Linn
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Ppl seem to be happy with current MPC line.

It's probably different division working on synths and MPC's.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
Let's also not forget that Inmusic's ceo big Boss 'Jack O’Donnell' stopped paying royalties to Roger Linn
Yep. Here's the video:

Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Damn but where is Dan from Akai video?
I totally missed him.

Last edited by redloheb; 9th January 2017 at 10:31 PM..
Old 9th January 2017
The H8 in this thread is STRONGGGG!!!!!
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstupid View Post
looks like a jdxa
Yes, perfect.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

I don't know. Looks pretty damn nice to me. I'll wait to see how it is once people start getting these in their hands, but it looks like a nice centerpiece to the studio if things work as they're supposed to, swing is good and converters have good sound.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks scott for info. Never knew that they were not the same outfit. I am an old akai fan and think you are spot on.
I was hoping for more sound generation, perhaps its there and i missed it. Ie dial up the S1000 sound, or an S950, or the s2000/3000 series. Chuck in the original harsh digital filters.. Or have analog outs that replicate the originals. At the least, where is the bitrate/khz options? Etc etc.

The problem with units like this is that they are trying to cram in things that most people with $2200 to spend on equipment already have. Ie A daw, midi controller with mappable knobs, or any modern synth for midi controller purposes.. and an ipad knocking around for touchscreen.

But fair play they are having a good go at it with CV, 2 midi outs, turntable ins. But it is not a samplers dream, it is a hardware Daw with a small midi controller really and good interfaces. Is it the heart of my studio? no. But it would be interesting to hear if i have missed the deal of replication of its ancestrys sounds. Becuase that i am interested in.

That said...
Poor old roger.. So it looks like a piece of [email protected] made by [email protected] then? Il stick with my S2000, maschine mikro and a500pro ta very much.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search