The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai MPCX Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 9th December 2017
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canedrive View Post
Looks like an ergonomic car crash. I couldn’t deal with reaching over a big ass keyboard to operate the X.
Yeah, this is not remotely ergo perfect. This isn't some final setup. It's my garage. I'll work it out. Let's call it proof of concept at this stage.
Old 9th December 2017
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
Great setup. How would you say does the MPC-X compare to the Kronos feeling-wise and workflow-wise, being they are both cutting edge CPU based standalone hardware?
Kronos is an absolute disaster in interface design. The engineers should be taken out to the wood shed. They really should have included a video out port for a much larger screen. The built in screen is not large enough for the cluttered Ui, and everthing in the sequencer and combo programs is tiny on screen. Akai took much better approach to go with a much more minimal interface design with much better workflow.
Old 10th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Before I invested $2K in an MPC X I was waiting to hear how the timing was reported, there is a lot of room for error from a computer to the X to other midi devices.......... so thanks for the post and I could not agree more.
Time:
To assess it accurately there are 2 tests:

1. Free running (off its internal clock) - regular pattern at a simple BPM for math purposes i.e. 1/8 note clicks at 120 - record this to DAW and check the accuracy.
Innerclocks Grid Lock is a good resource for such tests:
GridLock.pdf
GridLock plug-in

2. Running as slave driven by sample accurate midi like you get from Expert Sleepers or Innerclock - record and perform same test.

3. Unless someone can demonstrate unequivocally that running audio or midi through USB is flawless I assert that any such tests are worthless - this is simply because any inaccuracies cannot be isolated to a single source.

4. Other test is to simply have highly refined rhythmic sensibilities and put it in a studio with known commodities and listen to see if it can hang with the groove. I will not go claiming, but if I put it in my Innerclock / Cirklon / MPC60 / 808 world I'd certainly have an opinion - if an inaccurate device joins this ensemble it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Results, no matter what method you come by them, are latency and jitter.

Timbre:
This is a matter of ears, opinions, and taste, but can be made clearer by a method using multitracking e.g. if you really want to hear the sound of your OT, your MPC-X or your boutique preamp for that matter, record numerous tracks, both with and without, and then compare the composites.

Something like this:
8 channel .wav file mix in daw
8 channel .wav file x-fered by USB to MPC-X then played out 1 at a time and recorded to DAW then mixed the same
8 channel .wav sampled to the analog inputs then played out analog outs and recorded to DAW then mixed the same
8 channel .wav sampled on the analog inputs of something highly regarded like an MPC3000 or classic EMU and played out analog and recorded to DAW then mixed the same

This method is by no means perfect but it will definitely help in hearing the sonic signature of a device. I did this once a long time ago with a brand new API preamp and an 808 - I made a beat, recorded 1 part at a time, both with and without the pre. Once the tracks were mixed together the subtlety of the pre became much more apparent than it was listening to a single isolated track.

alternative: Spend time on a forum speculating and posturing based on whether or not one owns the device in question, thus delineating whether one wants to troll or justify their purchase...
Old 10th December 2017
Gear Addict

Just to chime in, I have zero issues with timing... Got my rytm and p6 connected to Mpc Live. There's definitely some work flow improvements needed that appear to be obvious but actually in terms of sound I think it sounds spot on. Really spot on. Much better than I remembered my mpc2500 to. Obviously subjective but prob main reason you don't hear much about this is that it isn't an issue.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search