The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai MPCX Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstupid View Post
coming from the classic mpcs, i really have to get used to the new interface. it’s a little confusing and the touchscreen is not really as responsible as an ipad. just a first impression after a few minutes of use. i‘ll dig in deeper this weekend...
This I want to know too. From watching YT videos, I don't like the software structure or the amount of functions only possible by touching the screen. Those q-links are very badly under utilized.
Old 25th October 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

What's wrong with your 2500?
Old 25th October 2017
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
This I want to know too. From watching YT videos, I don't like the software structure or the amount of functions only possible by touching the screen. Those q-links are very badly under utilized.
That's the beauty of software. It can be improved, fixed, and new features added. My concerns are the limitations in the hardware that may be glaring.
Old 25th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
As with the Live theres a page function for setting up q links with functions...pretty straightforward and quick I think.

Dont know about the software structure, Ive heard a couple of complaints. I gelled with it almost immediately, everythings there on the screen and the rest follows the classic mpc workflow, but I have used the software before and actually found MPCs a little clunky...guess its horses for courses.
Old 26th October 2017
Deleted 86c3d96
Okay, so 3rd quarter bonuses look good, and my birthday is next week, so I just ordered an MPC X. I should get it next week, Stay tuned.
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Pad Mixer Woes

Any assistance appreciated!

I literally can't get the PAD MIXER to unmute pads that I had temporarily muted while a drum sequence was playing. Pressing mute on the pad while the sequence was playing interspersed mutes into a bunch of steps, which I started when muting the sample snares assigned to PAD2.

Now there doesn't appear to be any way for me to unmute the pads. Trying to unmute PAD2 while the sequence is playing doesn't work. When I nudge forward, event > by event > by event and manually unmute PAD2 on each step (I.e. the red mute square turns to grey visually confirming that I've indeed unmuted the pad), then nudge backwards to verify, the mutes are back in place on each step as though my all my step by step unmuting never occurred!

I tested muting out some other pads and now those mutes cannot be removed.

IOW, I can mute pads in the PAD MIXER, but I can't unmute them!

It's the most frustrating thing I've ever encountered. The pads cannot be unmuted and I can no longer hear the sequence back with those samples playing. I've tried unmuting multiple times.

Is this some kind of software bug? Anyone else having this problem? Am I missing something simple, cause I'm stumped. I've even tried saving the file after I unmute a pad, but it's still muted when I nudge back again, even though the red mute color turned to grey.

And, why are the MUTE and SOLO buttons on the hardware interface apparently completely separate from the SOLO and MUTE buttons on the touch screen interface, in the PAD MIXER for example?

Why are such simple functions as SOLO and MUTE so non-intuitively implemented in this box?

Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Maybe you had the automation on ?.On the software its about n the top right hand corner and can be changed from write to read ect.Apparently you can put it in write mode and it will refresh the muting,automation.Might be of help to some one
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Oh, and the PAD MIXER muting and unmuting also introduced SOLO and MUTE events on the interface SOLO and MUTE buttons - as those lights also come on and off at various random steps in the simple 2 bar drum sequence - and I'm not able to disengage those either!

IOW, when I nudge > to an event and the MUTE button under the meters lights up, and I press it to unmute, it doesn't stay unmuted.

And, these SOLO and MUTE events on the interface are completely separate from those in the PAD MIXER. And, I have no ability to unmute those either.

For example, you would think that by selecting a pad on the touch screen (or by hitting it) so it's highlighted would allow you to use the interface SOLO and MUTE buttons on that highlighted pad. But, that's not the case. They are independent.

The result is that I have no idea what the interface SOLO and MUTE buttons are doing (other than muting the outputs when I'm playing the sequence and I press MUTE), how they were activated in this sequence at various steps, and why I can't have any effect on their status now. And, I have no idea why I can't unmute pads I just muted in the PAD MIXER and have them stay unmuted.

This MPC-X is seriously driving me nuts with the SOLO and MUTE shenanigans.
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Maybe you had the automation on ?.On the software its about n the top right hand corner and can be changed from write to read ect.Apparently you can put it in write mode and it will refresh the muting,automation.Might be of help to some one
Hey, that's a good thought, but I'm in standalone. I just recorded the sequence by playing the pads. Then, mixing pad levels, I wanted to mute and solo some pads. That's basically how it started. Now those mute and solo events at various steps can't be removed.
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Well, I finally cleared the mutes from the PAD MIXER (under the MUTE tab), by playing the sequence back, having the proper pad selected, and repeatedly pressing the "-" button under the big wheel. That's the only thing that worked. On the touch screen, using the MUTE button to the left of the pads didn't work and/or unmuting the individual pads by touching the mini "M" mute button didn't work (which is how I originally muted them). Nor did using the "-" button under the wheel when nudging > step by step. Only when playing the sequence did the "-" button work.

So, for future reference...

Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

The automation works the same in stand alone too im sure.
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Any assistance appreciated!

I literally can't get the PAD MIXER to unmute pads that I had temporarily muted while a drum sequence was playing. Pressing mute on the pad while the sequence was playing interspersed mutes into a bunch of steps, which I started when muting the sample snares assigned to PAD2.

Now there doesn't appear to be any way for me to unmute the pads. Trying to unmute PAD2 while the sequence is playing doesn't work. When I nudge forward, event > by event > by event and manually unmute PAD2 on each step (I.e. the red mute square turns to grey visually confirming that I've indeed unmuted the pad), then nudge backwards to verify, the mutes are back in place on each step as though my all my step by step unmuting never occurred!

I tested muting out some other pads and now those mutes cannot be removed.

IOW, I can mute pads in the PAD MIXER, but I can't unmute them!

It's the most frustrating thing I've ever encountered. The pads cannot be unmuted and I can no longer hear the sequence back with those samples playing. I've tried unmuting multiple times.

Is this some kind of software bug? Anyone else having this problem? Am I missing something simple, cause I'm stumped. I've even tried saving the file after I unmute a pad, but it's still muted when I nudge back again, even though the red mute color turned to grey.

And, why are the MUTE and SOLO buttons on the hardware interface apparently completely separate from the SOLO and MUTE buttons on the touch screen interface, in the PAD MIXER for example?

Why are such simple functions as SOLO and MUTE so non-intuitively implemented in this box?

can't you just erase automation (or except note) in the erase window?
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Well, I finally cleared the mutes from the PAD MIXER (under the MUTE tab), by playing the sequence back, having the proper pad selected, and repeatedly pressing the "-" button under the big wheel. That's the only thing that worked. On the touch screen, using the MUTE button to the left of the pads didn't work and/or unmuting the individual pads by touching the mini "M" mute button didn't work (which is how I originally muted them). Nor did using the "-" button under the wheel when nudging > step by step. Only when playing the sequence did the "-" button work.

So, for future reference...

So do you think thats a bug?
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Could someone point me to where it states that the MPC X and MPC Live share the same converters?
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So do you think thats a bug?
I actually do.

I engaged pad mutes from the PAD MIXER in the touch screen, but then couldn't disengage those very same pad mutes from the very same PAD MIXER screen page afterwards. This seems very odd.

But, I am new to the MPC, so I'm willing to put it all on me for now.
Old 2nd November 2017
Deleted 86c3d96
So I got my MPC X today. It's a nice B-day present. After playing with it for 5 minutes. You gotta give Akai credit for listening to their customers. This is some serious reimagining. Neato!
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 86c3d96 View Post
So I got my MPC X today. It's a nice B-day present. After playing with it for 5 minutes. You gotta give Akai credit for listening to their customers. This is some serious reimagining. Neato!
Happy Bird day man.Nice pressie.What are your thoughts after a few hours,day ect?
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
Could someone point me to where it states that the MPC X and MPC Live share the same converters?
they do. I'm not sure it's explicitly stated on any web page, but they do.
Old 4th November 2017
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Happy Bird day man.Nice pressie.What are your thoughts after a few hours,day ect?
For decades, I wanted the dream "portastudio." This is probably the closest to my dream product. It is a long way from my Akai 1214. Watching Akai birth this product over the last few years has been pretty painful.
Old 4th November 2017
Quote:
For decades, I wanted the dream "portastudio." This is probably the closest to my dream product. It is a long way from my Akai 1214. Watching Akai birth this product over the last few years has been pretty painful.
What would you want on a version 2?

Other than a couple of OS features and a few bugs, Im struggling to think how Id like the Live improved. Other than the easy "more Ram, snappier CPU, more inputs/outputs, bigger HD".

My next big purchase was going to be a matrixbrute I think....but Im looking at adding the X if it drops a few hundred (black friday, christmas sales mmmm)
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Bumping. Any new comments from people who bought the X?
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

How is the X when used as a master midi sequencer with external synths? I would be using 7 or 8 external synths with drums and samples mostly on the MPC. This would be for studio use only, not doing any live shows. How is it when recording CC's and NRPNs from externals? Are the inputs for synths comparable to say The Audient ASP880 or Saffire Pro 40? Are they quiet enough and do they have ample headroom? Thanks for any info!
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
How's the X working out for you?
Old 9th December 2017
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
How's the X working out for you?
I am really impressed. From a product design/engineering standpoint, I think they nearly hit it out of the park. The MPCX/MPC 2.0 combo, while very late, is a major engineering achievement. The Q-links are just fantastic with the scribble strips. I am curious about their software roadmap. Obviously, the software is still a work in progress. The stand-alone/controller implementation is eery. The one real concern I have is the lack of upgradable memory. It looks like they could have sourced an SoC board with double the current memory for a small price difference. Hopefully, they provide an official upgrade path. The lack of digital i/o is annoying at this price point.

I hooked this up in my garage with a Korg Kronos X and a Roland Integra. It's a pretty imposing garage production setup. You can see the some of home gym stuff in the background. I can play between sets. :-)

Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_seldon View Post

I hooked this up in my garage with a Korg Kronos X and a Roland Integra. It's a pretty imposing garage production setup. You can see the some of home gym stuff in the background. I can play between sets. :-)
Great setup. How would you say does the MPC-X compare to the Kronos feeling-wise and workflow-wise, being they are both cutting edge CPU based standalone hardware?
Old 9th December 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_seldon View Post
Looks like an ergonomic car crash. I couldn’t deal with reaching over a big ass keyboard to operate the X.
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

To me the crucial aspect of the MPC is timing and tone - in a modern studio with limitless multi-tracking I don't care much about a box that can 'do it all' - I want it to do its thing really well. If a box can in fact do it all AND sounds great / rocks solid, that is truly interesting. I haven't seen much discussion about what it sounds like and how solid the sequencer is. I am pretty unhappy with Akai sequencer timing after the golden age and can't say much for the sound either. Where does it fall on the spectrum from crushing boom and bite with deadly accuracy, to (barely) acceptable (ir)regular playback of sound files? Has anyone done any jitter / latency tests of a scientific nature? A/B comparisons with a highly esteemed sample playback box like an MPC 3000? Not trying to unfairly critique the X as much as I am curious what the tradeoffs are after all, using an MPC 3000 is ALSO a tradeoff.

A guy called analoguebubblebath posted this on mpc-forums (about the Live):
"I've been integrating my new MPC Live into my analog hardware setup, where I am syncing the MPC to other sequencers and drum machines. On first adding the MPC to the setup, I started to hear a bit of timing discrepancy between the MPC's drum patterns I had made and other hardware.

I did a bit of research/testing and ended up recording clicks from all of the devices simultaneously. In my DAW I then went and measured the distance between clicks from each device in milliseconds. The 2 main pieces of gear I use are the Cirklon Sequencer, and the Analog RYTM. Both of these devices showed very consistent click distances. At 150bpm the distance between the start of the click waveforms was consistently 400ms with both of those machines. Very solid timing.

The distance between the MPC clicks however varied between 396ms and 408ms, without any sort of pattern as to when the shorter or longer distances appeared.

12 milliseconds is VERY Noticeable in this case, which is why I was hearing my MPC drum patterns sounding a bit sloppy when played alongside some tight sequenced synth lines from the Cirklon.

To prove the accuracy of this test, I did the "waveform start measuring test" again recording audio of 3 different MPC Metronome types, and 2 different drum programs. The tests were done zooming in on each waveform start to make sure I was getting a highly accurate reading.

I first did this test with the MPC receiving MIDI clock data from the Cirklon, but I ended up getting identical results when I recorded and measured all the clicks again by turning of MIDI clock receive and running the MPC separately by itself."

Some people like to suggest that 'if your music is great such subtleties don't matter' to which I vehemently disagree. 12ms is horrendous - not even close to acceptable. Music is timing and inaccurate devices detract from the ability for ones (otherwise great) music to be truly great - and then theres timbre...
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
To me the crucial aspect of the MPC is timing and tone - in a modern studio with limitless multi-tracking I don't care much about a box that can 'do it all' - I want it to do its thing really well. If a box can in fact do it all AND sounds great / rocks solid, that is truly interesting. I haven't seen much discussion about what it sounds like and how solid the sequencer is. I am pretty unhappy with Akai sequencer timing after the golden age and can't say much for the sound either. Where does it fall on the spectrum from crushing boom and bite with deadly accuracy, to (barely) acceptable (ir)regular playback of sound files? Has anyone done any jitter / latency tests of a scientific nature? A/B comparisons with a highly esteemed sample playback box like an MPC 3000? Not trying to unfairly critique the X as much as I am curious what the tradeoffs are after all, using an MPC 3000 is ALSO a tradeoff.

"I've been integrating my new MPC Live into my analog hardware setup, where I am syncing the MPC to other sequencers and drum machines. On first adding the MPC to the setup, I started to hear a bit of timing discrepancy between the MPC's drum patterns I had made and other hardware.

I did a bit of research/testing and ended up recording clicks from all of the devices simultaneously. In my DAW I then went and measured the distance between clicks from each device in milliseconds. The 2 main pieces of gear I use are the Cirklon Sequencer, and the Analog RYTM. Both of these devices showed very consistent click distances. At 150bpm the distance between the start of the click waveforms was consistently 400ms with both of those machines. Very solid timing.

The distance between the MPC clicks however varied between 396ms and 408ms, without any sort of pattern as to when the shorter or longer distances appeared.

12 milliseconds is VERY Noticeable in this case, which is why I was hearing my MPC drum patterns sounding a bit sloppy when played alongside some tight sequenced synth lines from the Cirklon.

To prove the accuracy of this test, I did the "waveform start measuring test" again recording audio of 3 different MPC Metronome types, and 2 different drum programs. The tests were done zooming in on each waveform start to make sure I was getting a highly accurate reading.

I first did this test with the MPC receiving MIDI clock data from the Cirklon, but I ended up getting identical results when I recorded and measured all the clicks again by turning of MIDI clock receive and running the MPC separately by itself."
It don’t mean a thing if it ain’t got that swing

Some people like to suggest that 'if your music is great such subtleties don't matter' to which I vehemently disagree. 12ms is horrendous - not even close to acceptable. Music is timing and inaccurate devices detract from the ability for ones (otherwise great) music to be truly great - and then theres timbre...
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
WORD

Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post

Before I invested $2K in an MPC X I was waiting to hear how the timing was reported, there is a lot of room for error from a computer to the X to other midi devices.......... so thanks for the post and I could not agree more.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search