The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai MPCX Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

Emphasis on useful information.. very good here. Presenters should lern from this to show what people actually want to know, rather than what they want to present.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

The Live is on my short list. I can't afford the X and the Live has some things I prefer. I have been wondering if the cool factor of the Live might hurt sales on the X.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Seen quite a number of vids but nothing on the details like CV settings etc.
Or is that feature still being implemented/tweaked in the OS?

Just come to think of it.
Are those CV outs also available when the X is used as a remote control?

Questions, questions.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
Are those CV outs also available when the X is used as a remote control?

Questions, questions.
Very good question indeed. Would give the X a whole new dimension.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Would be great if the CV outs could be configured independently to either Pitch CV, Gate, LFO, and ENV. Am I dreaming?

The CV outs are the single feature which sold me on the X, and I know I can't be alone on this. There is a demographic that will want (or would want) the MPCX because of its CV capabilities, and I think it would be wise to reach this customer base by not crippling the functionality of the CV outs. Wigglers spend lots of $$ on eurorack, and would snap this up in a heartbeat. I'm sure this can be implemented.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyas View Post
Would be great if the CV outs could be configured independently to either Pitch CV, Gate, LFO, and ENV. Am I dreaming?

The CV outs are the single feature which sold me on the X, and I know I can't be alone on this. There is a demographic that will want (or would want) the MPCX because of its CV capabilities, and I think it would be wise to reach this customer base by not crippling the functionality of the CV outs. Wigglers spend lots of $$ on eurorack, and would snap this up in a heartbeat. I'm sure this can be implemented.
CV outs are definitely one of the big pluses of the X, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay double just for that. The 16 Qlink knobs and LED displays however, in conjunction with the CV and additional MIDI functionality make it easily worthwhile to me.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought I saw mention of it only being pitch/gate.

Would be great if you could output automation through it as well, both recorded and generated.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
I thought I saw mention of it only being pitch/gate.

Would be great if you could output automation through it as well, both recorded and generated.
What a letdown..it still is Akai.

I agree with you 100%. It would be an enormous oversight if those Qlinks don't control any CV parameters. Not very practical to automate any smooth movement, say a filter sweep or a volume swell, with Pitch CV. I mean, they advertise the CV outs to 'sequence vintage synths', but pitch/gate clearly isn't the whole factor.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What a letdown...
Don't be silly. Nothing is conformed yet.

Besides a modular freak like Richard Devine most likely would indicate that the CV outs should be usable to their fullest extend possible to Akai.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
Don't be silly. Nothing is conformed yet.

Besides a modular freak like Richard Devine most likely would indicate that the CV outs should be usable to their fullest extend possible to Akai.
Let's hope so. But just to keep our expectations realistic - Mr. Devine was also part of the Akai Rhythm Wolf teaser campaing as well. So in my book his involvement means very little regarding its capabilities. Not zero. But almost.

/C
Old 8th March 2017
Here's the MPC X video from sunday. (1080p)
Had some hurdles to take, getting this to you, hope you don't mind the delay.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Excellent.

There were a few moments when he was cutting the vocals I could swear he erased some stuff by accident But excellent. The want is big on this one. And the OS seems solid too.

/C
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear

what up Aldred how you be? Yeah man, I was going to get the X but it really makes no sense to go that big, plus the Live got that Battery, and it does basically all the things the X does, plus I need it for two things.
1. Sequencer
2. Transferring back and forth to the computer without using a interface. You can export your stems to your computer then drop them in your favorite DAW.

But I am going to lock it up to Reason 9 and Studio One 3 and just have a dam beast on my hands.

Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear

what up Aldred how you be? Yeah man, I was going to get the X but it really makes no sense to go that big, plus the Live got that Battery, and it does basically all the things the X does, plus I need it for two things.
1. Sequencer
2. Transferring back and forth to the computer without using a interface. You can export your stems to your computer then drop them in your favorite DAW.

But I am going to lock it up to Reason 9 and Studio One 3 and just have a dam beast on my hands.

I don't need CV/Gate and 8 outs, I'm not going to use the outs I will stay in the box. Plus you can do vocals on the Live also, so I can still do my thing. Both Machines are dope. I know the X is a beautiful machine, and EDM dudes on stage live can get crazy!

I can do my drums faster without my drums being off the grid and then fixing them.

Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

I have Maschine and MPC Studio, the MPC X looks like Akai finally figured out how to make the 4000 and a computer come together as one, in a best of both worlds unit. This might actually be worth the purchase after watching that latest Sonicstate video demonstration, only time will tell as user feedback starts coming in after it's available for purchase. This may also push NI to finally get off their asses and get Maschine finished up, either way Akai being competitive again is good news for we end users.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear
I'm seriously considering selling my Octatrack for a mpc x. I think the advantages are many against the Octatrack.
Old 2nd April 2017
The latest sonicstate video on the X sealed the deal for me. I would have been more than happy with an updated MPC1000, but from the looks of this, they have addressed every issue I could have imagined, and many I couldn't. Those QLink knobs seem endlessly useful, especially considering you can make custom maps to control outboard gear, plugins, etc. etc.

Also, kudos to Andy Mac on the presentation. He got a lot of sh*t around NAMM for doing the same thing in every presentation, but I have taught a few MPC lessons before, and it is not an easy thing to do, and I can imagine that answering the same questions over and over at a sh*tshow like NAMM has got to be maddening. Anyway, he's quick with all the answers in this SonicState one, which is pretty amazing because he can't have had that long to work with it.
Old 6th April 2017
Lives for gear

I'm wondering if you can set each of the 16 Q links up for volume controls for each pad and use them to do a mixdown in realtime. Or even better, have one control do a number of things to different pads in one turn. I've never owned an MPC, just thinking out loud.

On my Kurzweil PC3 one fader can do dozens of things to many sounds with one slider move. I guess this is just midi data right?
Old 6th April 2017
Lives for gear

To answer your questions, yes supposedly there is a mode where the Q-links can be all the volume parameter for a mixdown. But No to your second, as far as I can tell from the demos, only one parameter per knob is mappable. THere have been many requests on this forum for being able to map more than one parameter to a single knob. Let's see if Akai listens as the OS updates roll out.
Old 6th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
To answer your questions, yes supposedly there is a mode where the Q-links can be all the volume parameter for a mixdown. But No to your second, as far as I can tell from the demos, only one parameter per knob is mappable. THere have been many requests on this forum for being able to map more than one parameter to a single knob. Let's see if Akai listens as the OS updates roll out.
Afik you can only select one parameter for a Qlink but if you use a CC output you can map your inputs to that CC and get macro functionality that way.

As for the feature request it would be very interesting to see if Akai would look into input from users and try to implement the best ideas out there.
Old 9th April 2017
Gear Maniac

As you can record audio via the MPC X in controller mode 96K to the computer?
Old 20th April 2017
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
Thanks for the info. Mapping multiple functions to one control could definately be a deal sealer for me.
Old 7th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjazz View Post
As you can record audio via the MPC X in controller mode 96K to the computer?
got a kinda similar question, and some more crazy below:

Can I record with my usual highend converters + preamps combo into the MPC software while using it in controller mode? Or do I have to record with the MPC inputs?
And can I do this while sending mpc's sequenced midi and CV to analog gears?

With 128 Audio track as a controller + 3rd party plugins + quality recording gears, this very well be super fun to write music again in place of painfully doing it in protools...

BTW, got some other MPC software/protools questions;

Can I use the MPC 2.0 software as a plugin inside of protools, still record inside of the MPC software, while outputting all the various tracks to multiple outs busses, so I could listen to them (and print them later) in my pre-made stems mastering template?

... Having many more tracks than the physical MPC allows, and using protools as a realtime virtual desk + prelisten in stems mastering condition live would be a crazy workflow!

Last one, is it possible to freeze tracks in the MPC software to let the cpu breath a bit in such an intensive usage scenario?
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Hello world,

I think I'm going to get this MPCX. This will probably be my first MPC ..

I think I can replace Logic with MPCX.. This is a DAW in a box.

2 grand? I think it's worth the investment.

My question is the DAC good.
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
Hello world,

I think I'm going to get this MPCX. This will probably be my first MPC ..

I think I can replace Logic with MPCX.. This is a DAW in a box.

2 grand? I think it's worth the investment.

My question is the DAC good.
I love your optimism. You want a really good advice? Don't rush out and buy it straight away, and let others be beta-testers for the first couple of months. I am sure it will be a very powerful instrument in time - but Akai doesn't have the best track record when it comes to releasing bug-free instruments.

/C
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Disagree.

Seems quite a few punters already happy with the Live.

Impressive reviews are also filtering through.

Can't see much drama with the forthcoming X.

Cheers
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
I love your optimism. You want a really good advice? Don't rush out and buy it straight away, and let others be beta-testers for the first couple of months. I am sure it will be a very powerful instrument in time - but Akai doesn't have the best track record when it comes to releasing bug-free instruments.

/C
Absolutely

Last edited by mpresev; 4th July 2017 at 02:58 AM..
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Disagree.

Seems quite a few punters already happy with the Live.

Impressive reviews are also filtering through.

Can't see much drama with the forthcoming X.

Cheers
There are also a pretty good number of people not as happy with it.

There are obviously bugs in it and not all the functionality is in the Live that was promised/expected.

I can see a good amount of drama in the X, but by all means go out and get one in the first week. I hope it goes well for you.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search