The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai MPCX Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
Do they get used to doing that when playing live, so that it looks to the audience that they are actually doing something, and then they can't turn it off when demoing the products?

It is soooo stupid!
Looks like he's playing a game on a big screened cellphone.

Look, I know what market this machine is aimed at. I get it, to some degree...
I guess it would just be refreshing to see some synth nerd, sitting there fairly calm, making beautiful music with a few a analog machines swirling poetically around, and then launching other sounds from the pads. Even a bass player groovin to one of the included drum racks. I've seen MPC's in many an electronic studio, but these demos just come across as uninspiring. Doesn't mean the machine is incapable, but let's SEE it's potential Akai.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
Do they get used to doing that when playing live, so that it looks to the audience that they are actually doing something, and then they can't turn it off when demoing the products?

It is soooo stupid!
Hopefully, it's to not block the product from the camera's eye.

If they think it looks cool, well...
Old 19th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post

Look, I know what market this machine is aimed at. I get it, to some degree...
I guess it would just be refreshing to see some synth nerd, sitting there fairly calm, making beautiful music with a few a analog machines swirling poetically around, and then launching other sounds from the pads. Even a bass player groovin to one of the included drum racks. I've seen MPC's in many an electronic studio, but these demos just come across as uninspiring. Doesn't mean the machine is incapable, but let's SEE it's potential Akai.
In the demo below, the guy takes the MPC Live to a guitarist who proceeds to plug in and play along with the track, and record the results into an audio track. That's not too far off from your particular use case. The video leaves off with the guy pulling the track up, and beginning to edit the audio tracks.

OTOH, you're already envisioning use cases, so I don't know what value is left in actually seeing a given use case in action. But here it is anyway.

Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

most important question: can i play pong?
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
To be fair this looks the product of a one night stand between an iPad and a Akai MPC Renaissance controller. Don't know if there are some DSP onboard but todays mobile CPU pack a might punch. But just looking at the specs is a bit silly because it all boils down if you can use it as an instrument that helps your creative process instead of hindering it. So the software support should better be spot on.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
In the demo below, the guy takes the MPC Live to a guitarist who proceeds to plug in and play along with the track, and record the results into an audio track. That's not too far off from your particular use case. The video leaves off with the guy pulling the track up, and beginning to edit the audio tracks.

OTOH, you're already envisioning use cases, so I don't know what value is left in actually seeing a given use case in action. But here it is anyway.

Yep, I watched that video when it was released, I've been following all the videos featuring the Akai in use, I am intrigued. To be fair, I'm just waiting to see someone do things with it more in lines with my own workflow, just a selfish "sell it to ME" mindset. (Face palm)

Can't say I'm really impressed with a digital recorder tracking a guitar though, a $200 Tascam unit can record 8 audio tracks. This machine is $2200, although offering tons of flexibility and sound design features. As things progress, more videos will emerge with folks using the features I'm interested in, so time will tell.
Old 19th January 2017
so far this appears to be THE BIG THING of Namm.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
so far this appears to be THE BIG THING of Namm.
For me it definitely is.

This is the first time since ages I seriously consider buying an instrument.

I really don´t understand the haters all over the planet.

We all don´t know if it really works as displayed in the videos but when - I´m in.

I´ve used MPCs 60/3000/2000xl for many years and owned a 5000 for 2 weeks before I sold it.

Never considered buying one of those midi-controllers but the X - omg.

Could be just what I was waiting for all these years and I bet I´m not the only one ...
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Hey Mods.

Can we have our thread back now over on the Rap and Hip hop section.

Namm has started and the MPC X has a home there.

Thread was locked due to bickering.

Cheers
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Another video:
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

His demos on this thing are so damn scripted. This is about the fourth demo I've seen on the X, all with the same content just different finger banging. With all that content on the hard drive, how can he not do a demo with different content? Even he has to be sick of those sounds by now!
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
His demos on this thing are so damn scripted. This is about the fourth demo I've seen on the X, all with the same content just different finger banging. With all that content on the hard drive, how can he not do a demo with different content? Even he has to be sick of those sounds by now!
Well at least the video above you was different in the regards that the interviewer was darth vader.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Head

Talks about CV but fails to say how they are implemented. and pleas no more Riana or who ever the hell them vocals are from.. For the love of god no more.
Old 20th January 2017
these repeating boring MPCX presentations, just give me diarrhea.

for the love of god.. please STOP

PS i gather we wont find crap about cv and gate, or anything in depth like multisample instruments etc, until someone here or on muffwiggler buys one.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah, it's Rihanna. I really like that song, let's hear it AGAIN:

Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
these repeating boring MPCX presentations, just give me diarrhea.

for the love of god.. please STOP

PS i gather we wont find crap about cv and gate, or anything in depth like multisample instruments etc, until someone here or on muffwiggler buys one.
LOL at those here thinking we would find out all about it at NAMM!
Old 20th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Again guys, all the info you need on pre-existing features such as multisample instruments, the step sequencer, etc., is readily available. In fact you can demo MPC SW 1.9 right now if you choose.

For the new stuff, and for the tech details, im just as interested. I didn't think all that would come out on day one of NAMM tho.

As for the Rihanna remix x20 thing, look at it from the perspective of the performer. You don't want to get up in front of a crowd and fumble around figuring out which sample is on which pad or somesuch. Better to go with the material you've practiced and are comfortable with.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

I think Andy is doing a good job. For the timeframe I think the demos are pretty comprehensive actually. There's a lot in that box and he's speaking to a wide range of customers and trying to entice multiple demographics. Just cause we all want to watch 10 vids doesn't mean we should expect 10 different demos.

He said himself in one interview something like "look these demos are rehearsed for me to pack as much in as I can in 3min".

Let's not pick on someone from Akai just cause we can't take swings at Dan for MPC 2.0 not coming in 2016. :-)
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

He's not properly accounting for lunatics like us who watch every single video from every source.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

It might have been more fun if Dan had done the demos..

Andy Mac seems likes he's on a short leash, mind you he looks the type that would be good in a brawl down at the pub after a football match..
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post

Well yeaaah... I know it's their job, but I'm pretty sure these guys hate NAMM themselves. You have to stand around for hours throughout the day explaining the same thing over and over again... I'm pretty sure he does have script he wants to stick to. Making sure he covers everything.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

I was hoping the camera man would of panned down to Andys shoes.

I bet he was wearing Doc Martens to go with the jacket and haircut.

Cheers
Old 20th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
Well yeaaah... I know it's their job, but I'm pretty sure these guys hate NAMM themselves. You have to stand around for hours throughout the day explaining the same thing over and over again... I'm pretty sure he does have script he wants to stick to. Making sure he covers everything.
kinda has that used Porsche dealer vibe, like how bout a toot before we close the deal, sniff?
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
I was hoping the camera man would of panned down to Andys shoes.

I bet he was wearing Doc Martens to go with the jacket and haircut.

Cheers
&
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Cant someone from Gearslutz turn up at Namm with a bit of kit, a cable and connect something up to the MPC X. Then ask Andy for a working demo of the CV, general midi and vintage emulation settings. Oh and a ban on annoying rnb accapella mash ups whilst doing it.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akai_world View Post
Cant someone from Gearslutz turn up at Namm with a bit of kit, a cable and connect something up to the MPC X. Then ask Andy for a working demo of the CV, general midi and vintage emulation settings. Oh and a ban on annoying rnb accapella mash ups whilst doing it.
I suspect that the CV side might not be working yet, if we haven't seen it at all.

And they should be showing all the new features as mentioned on their website, for both the MPC-X and MPC Software 2.0, there is a whole lot more stuff we haven't seen than general MIDI and vintage emulations.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Yeah, it's Rihanna. I really like that song, let's hear it AGAIN:

A part the fact that on this song she sounds like if she has speech impediments?
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Maniac

I need a few more videos on the time stretching, just to clear things up.
Old 20th January 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
It might have been more fun if Dan had done the demos..
Dan should play young Ron Mael in the forthcoming Sparks biopic.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

wtf.. that X screen is a goddamn mirror.. they need to come up with an anti-glare system.. or a screen hood or something
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search