The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai MPCX Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Some videos from NAMM are showing up already, here's one:

Looks great.
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Maniac

as much as im extremely excited about these new mpcs, im already burned out on that kaoss pad style filter sweep.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

seeing it in person with someone next to it - it's flippin huge! Much bigger than I expected I guess.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

No brainer, copping this.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Akai MPC X @ 2017 NAMM Show - YouTube

Andy Mac showcases the brand new Akai MPC X at the 2017 NAMM Show Media Preview Day. More info: Bedroom Producers Blog - Freeware For Musicians! Our 2017 NAMM Show coverage ...
Another pre-crowd NAMM demo is up.

Last edited by Delinquent; 19th January 2017 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: Because I can.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Q-links updating 3rd party plugs confirmed it seems. Each pad having its own Q-link scene. I'm pretty close to being sold.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

VERY cool!
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Black plexi mirror - another product someone has to make a matt sticker for (ala JD-XA). Other than that, so far dang!
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Not feeling the touch screen workflow.. I don't use loops so time stretching is a non issue if I need it I have it anyways..

Sticking with my 4000's..
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
seeing it in person with someone next to it - it's flippin huge! Much bigger than I expected I guess.
I feel like if I need something that big I'd rather just work inside a PC/Mac. Though that is my own feeling for my own workflow. I know that others would get much use out of something like this. I will likely purchase an MPC Live because it's really more about getting away from the computer for me and having something portable to make that happen.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindseye robot View Post
as much as im extremely excited about these new mpcs, im already burned out on that kaoss pad style filter sweep.
my hope is that X/Y control output can be directed to ext. midi CC's or CV. Now THAT would be epic.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Oiy!
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post

Looks great.
And look how many times he touches the screen! I love it when I'm right. The touch screen will be hated within minutes of using it.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Easily. I'd recommend a Quik Lok QL-400 instead though. OTOH, that stand above could be set up to hold 2 or 3 tabletop units by just using a bigger piece of plywood.
Yeah that's what I did. I've got an MPC 1000, machinedrum, and other bits and pieces all on the one angled board.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

the glossy screen is not very namm friendly, lol.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
And look how many times he touches the screen! I love it when I'm right. The touch screen will be hated within minutes of using it.
I do believe a discussion about the layout is justified. It seems like when you look at the transport section, is it really necessary to have Cursorbuttons (he seems to never touch them) and then when you have a touchscreen do you really need the numpad? Seems a bit wasted but I'm sure they did this to win over the old MPC crowd. I don't think the layout as it is will be difficult to work on though.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
I do believe a discussion about the layout is justified. It seems like when you look at the transport section, is it really necessary to have Cursorbuttons (he seems to never touch them) and then when you have a touchscreen do you really need the numpad? Seems a bit wasted but I'm sure they did this to win over the old MPC crowd. I don't think the layout as it is will be difficult to work on though.
It could only work if you can do everything with either the touch screen or the control surface. I'm out if you have to touch the screen.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

I guess it will be quicker with the touchscreen, but probably you can jump between functions with the cursorpad. The one thing I don't understand why they didn't make the buttons under the screen F1-F6 buttons like back in the days, corresponding to what's shown on the screen directly above them and make it a physical click. Everytime Andymac has to touch the virtual function buttons on the bottom of screen he has to slightly rotate his arm to be precise. At least make them a bit bigger on the screen, no?

But I LOVE the grid editing regardless of what the old school "list style" users say.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
I guess it will be quicker with the touchscreen, but probably you can jump between functions with the cursorpad. The one thing I don't understand why they didn't make the buttons under the screen F1-F6 buttons like back in the days, corresponding to what's shown on the screen directly above them and make it a physical click. Everytime Andymac has to touch the virtual function buttons on the bottom of screen he has to slightly rotate his arm to be precise. At least make them a bit bigger on the screen, no?

But I LOVE the grid editing regardless of what the old school "list style" users say.
They did make the F buttons, there is a button to toggle f-mode my guess is you can do most everything without touching the screen.

Looks good but like mentioned above Akai must have been really into the jd-xa.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modulargrey View Post
They did make the F buttons, there is a button to toggle f-mode my guess is you can do most everything without touching the screen.

Looks good but like mentioned above Akai must have been really into the jd-xa.
Ah you're right didn't see that. So that's steady as long as the F-Key is activated? Or do you have to keep it pressed like a shift key?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw in the Brian Michael Cox Video it lights up steady, so yeah that's cool!

Last edited by Stimmt; 19th January 2017 at 03:47 AM..
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:

Looks great.
He doesn't have to though. He's just showing it off.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL, probably at least 2/3's of that could have been done from the buttons and other controls.

Quote:
It could only work if you can do everything with either the touch screen or the control surface. I'm out if you have to touch the screen.
You will have to use the screen for some functions, but most will be accessible through the controls.

See ya! LOL!
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
They are controls so you don't have to use the touchscreen, if you don't want to.

Might be faster to use than the touchscreen, once you get used to them, and actually use them.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah I imagine that that the cursor buttons and numeric buttons still work for nav/menu access for those who don't want to use the touchscreeen all the time. Best of both worlds I imagine. We'll see.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
They are controls so you don't have to use the touchscreen, if you don't want to.

Might be faster to use than the touchscreen, once you get used to them, and actually use them.
Yeah I'm slowly grasping it ;-) MPC X it is then.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

I'm waiting for the boutique MPC 60

Come on, you know that would be amazing.
Old 19th January 2017
Quote:

Looks great.

what's with the preposterous grabby jazz hands? is this what this generation of "musicians" will be remembered for? is this their calling card?
Attached Thumbnails
Akai MPCX-giphy.gif  
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles chocula View Post

what's with the preposterous grabby jazz hands? is this what this generation of "musicians" will be remembered for? is this their calling card?
Hot knobs!
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles chocula View Post

I'm glad I'm not the only one who seems irritated by that. LOL it's true though, in all the demos of guys using this machine they act like they are tapping in to some type of spiritual realm by over exagurating button and screen touching. Looks silly. And not to sound ungrateful for these demos, it does show a "glimpse" of how things are laid out, but if they show one more Demo of that girls vocal looped over a gerneric beat and touch that Kaoss pad screen swipe filter I'm boycotting my interest all together. Haha.

They keep showing the same stuff. They haven't even demonstrated turntable sampling, instrument recording, CV functionality, or showed even one shot of an arrangement screen with audio. I've got to admit, It seems suspect. Still looks cool though. ☺️
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who seems irritated by that. LOL it's true though, in all the demos of guys using this machine they act like they are tapping in to some type of spiritual realm by over exagurating button and screen touching. Looks silly.
Do they get used to doing that when playing live, so that it looks to the audience that they are actually doing something, and then they can't turn it off when demoing the products?

It is soooo stupid!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search