The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai MPCX Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 16th January 2017
  #301
Lives for gear
 
Tnsl's Avatar
Wow...marketing nowadays! but same, I would not jump on the bandwagon right away...I hope the mpcx will not have the same story as the beatstep pro with pretty well known cv connections and stuff. Do you think it will work like a charm with modular devices?
Old 16th January 2017
  #302
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
There are ppl like me who start this years gigging in spring. That's why it's important to have asap and not wait for long time user reviews. I think magazine reviews will start to roll out after NAMM.
Wow. I'd be petrified taking an untested, fresh-off-the-assembly-line piece of gear on stage. Best wishes to whoever does that!
Old 16th January 2017
  #303
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Wow. I'd be petrified taking an untested, fresh-off-the-assembly-line piece of gear on stage. Best wishes to whoever does that!
I'm the opposite.

I would be scared sh!tless taking a CS-80/Jupiter 8/Fairlight/Prophet 10/Memory Moog on stage since they're almost impossible to replace now.

Something still in production gets destroyed and you can just go buy a new one the next day.
Old 16th January 2017
  #304
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostar View Post
I'm the opposite.

I would be scared sh!tless taking a CS-80/Jupiter 8/Fairlight/Prophet 10/Memory Moog on stage since they're almost impossible to replace now.
.. and much more prown to failure in the middle of a show..
Old 16th January 2017
  #305
Lives for gear
 
SonicBern's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles chocula View Post
he's correct. everything they touch turns to absolute shiitt. as if we are supposed to submissively accept disposability and embrace it lovingly.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
<moderator message - service message: from here on please post general opinions about AKAI as a company in a new thread (in the Moan Zone), this one is about the two new samplers only. I'll allow the couple (slightly off topic) posts, so people can form a complete opinion about the quality of the products presented. But everything's been said about AKAI now. thanks!>
Old 16th January 2017
  #306
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
There are ppl like me who start this years gigging in spring. That's why it's important to have asap and not wait


well good luck with all that!
Attached Thumbnails
Akai MPCX-x6xatbk.gif  
Old 16th January 2017
  #307
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostar View Post
I would be scared sh!tless taking a CS-80/Jupiter 8/Fairlight/Prophet 10/Memory Moog on stage since they're almost impossible to replace now.
I don't think I would be strong enough!
Old 16th January 2017
  #308
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostar View Post
I'm the opposite.

I would be scared sh!tless taking a CS-80/Jupiter 8/Fairlight/Prophet 10/Memory Moog on stage since they're almost impossible to replace now.

Something still in production gets destroyed and you can just go buy a new one the next day.
And still there are people playing a Stradivarius worth several millions on stage pretty much every day. Go figure.
Old 16th January 2017
  #309
Lives for gear
 
El-Burrito's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Wow. I'd be petrified taking an untested, fresh-off-the-assembly-line piece of gear on stage. Best wishes to whoever does that!
There is no more unreliable thing to have on stage than laptop. I have been lucky with laptop for 15 years now so don't worry 'bout MPC. There is time to test for weeks to know is it usable or not. Also, it's better to test your own unit as when you buy yours after reading rave reviews you will get a monday copy that is full of bugs :D
Old 16th January 2017
  #310
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
There is no more unreliable thing to have on stage than laptop.
Some initial release hardware can be way more buggy and unreliable than a laptop that has been in use for a while and had any issues sorted.
Old 16th January 2017
  #311
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
There is no more unreliable thing to have on stage than laptop. I have been lucky with laptop for 15 years now so don't worry 'bout MPC. There is time to test for weeks to know is it usable or not. Also, it's better to test your own unit as when you buy yours after reading rave reviews you will get a monday copy that is full of bugs :D
Okay well I will wait for you and others like you to take the risk for me
Old 17th January 2017
  #312
Deleted 86c3d96
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
Some initial release hardware can be way more buggy and unreliable than a laptop that has been in use for a while and had any issues sorted.
I am a little concerned about the paltry storage on a $2199 device, There should be, at least, a 128GB mSATA drive.
Old 17th January 2017
  #313
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 86c3d96 View Post
I am a little concerned about the paltry storage on a $2199 device, There should be, at least, a 128GB mSATA drive.
They have an internal SATA connector for hard drive or SSD.

Quote:
User-expandable 2.5” SATA drive connector (SSD or HDD)
Old 17th January 2017
  #314
Lives for gear
 
El-Burrito's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
Some initial release hardware can be way more buggy and unreliable than a laptop that has been in use for a while and had any issues sorted.
Yes and no. New hardware can be buggy, but then you know it's buggy. Laptop can work 100% for two years until one day it will not boot. And when that happens hour before gig you are screwed if you don't have spare one. I was just working on a song, closed my MBP and next morning tried to open it and it didn't boot. Reason: Motherboard failure. Cost to fix: 800€. Same has happen to quite a few ppl.
Old 17th January 2017
  #315
Lives for gear
 

Similar problem here on a 27 inch Mac

4 years old and motherboard failure.

Cost too much to consider getting fixed.

Currently have a rack mount PC specked out but no interest to use.

My playing skills have gotten to the point where I can run a good drum groove and play a synth or two as accompaniment.

If you know your arrangement even better than improvising.



Cheers
Old 17th January 2017
  #316
Lives for gear
 

Have they shown the CV tracks in use?

I was wondering if they can easily be used for modulation type signals, as well as pitch/gate/etc. for playing notes?

And how does that work, a CV track used for playing notes needs two CV outputs, for pitch and gate, but if used for modulation only, it would only need one CV output.

Can you add additional modulation CV outputs to an existing CV track, can you have a track that is modulation only, etc.?
Old 17th January 2017
  #317
Lives for gear
 
CarLofgren's Avatar
 

Apart from that picture over at MPC Forums - is there anyone else who have doubts about workflow and ergonomics over the X model? Since the Toraiz has more or less the same layout as the Live model - I am pretty sure the Live will be very comfortable to work with. But the X? What are your thoughts?

/C
Old 17th January 2017
  #318
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
Have they shown the CV tracks in use?

I was wondering if they can easily be used for modulation type signals, as well as pitch/gate/etc. for playing notes?

And how does that work, a CV track used for playing notes needs two CV outputs, for pitch and gate, but if used for modulation only, it would only need one CV output.

Can you add additional modulation CV outputs to an existing CV track, can you have a track that is modulation only, etc.?
Everything I've read indicates it's only pitch and gate out for the CV. Obviously you can use gate out to trigger modulations and LFOs, provided you're going to modular or a synth where that's possible.

I've not seen many examples of anyone using any external things other than the mic in the day in the life of a beta tester video.
Old 17th January 2017
  #319
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 86c3d96 View Post
I am a little concerned about the paltry storage on a $2199 device, There should be, at least, a 128GB mSATA drive.
The Kronos comes with a default SSD (80Gb?) and you can add a second.
MPCX comes with a 16Gb storage unit and since there is a very large collection of SSD out there from 80Gb to 4Tb it depends if buyers all replace that said stock SSD with another. My guess would be that Akai would leave that choice to buyers and be able to present a lower price. For 100$ you can add a pretty decent SSD.
Old 17th January 2017
  #320
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
Apart from that picture over at MPC Forums - is there anyone else who have doubts about workflow and ergonomics over the X model? Since the Toraiz has more or less the same layout as the Live model - I am pretty sure the Live will be very comfortable to work with. But the X? What are your thoughts?

/C
There's some discussion on pages 26-30 of the MPC Live thread. That's a bad place to put a touchscreen IMO.
Old 17th January 2017
  #321
Lives for gear
 
The Hamburglar's Avatar
 

While I'm going to buy the Live for price reasons, I don't understand the complaints about the ergonomics of the screen.

People are acting like the pads are going to require full arm extension. Do you not plan on having your head over the device so you can read the scribble strips? I truly don't get it.
Old 17th January 2017
  #322
Lives for gear
 
syntonica's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
The Kronos comes with a default SSD (80Gb?) and you can add a second.
MPCX comes with a 16Gb storage unit and since there is a very large collection of SSD out there from 80Gb to 4Tb it depends if buyers all replace that said stock SSD with another. My guess would be that Akai would leave that choice to buyers and be able to present a lower price. For 100$ you can add a pretty decent SSD.
As I understand it, the 16gb is built-in in flash and the compartment on the bottom is to add storage in addition. Plus, with the option of using SD cards, external USB drives and USB sticks. I think they've got the storage thing nailed.
Old 18th January 2017
  #323
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamburglar View Post
While I'm going to buy the Live for price reasons, I don't understand the complaints about the ergonomics of the screen.

People are acting like the pads are going to require full arm extension. Do you not plan on having your head over the device so you can read the scribble strips? I truly don't get it.
That's even worse ergonomics!

I won't repeat the points I posted in the other thread, but I will say there's a solid body (no pun intended ) of work on the subject. I get that many aren't aware or interested. After all, if you don't suffer from an ergonomics related health issue, the chances are the closest you've ever gotten to an ergonomics related discussion is the 'workflow' debate.
Old 18th January 2017
  #324
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
That's even worse ergonomics!

I won't repeat the points I posted in the other thread, but I will say there's a solid body (no pun intended ) of work on the subject. I get that many aren't aware or interested. After all, if you don't suffer from an ergonomics related health issue, the chances are the closest you've ever gotten to an ergonomics related discussion is the 'workflow' debate.
A solid body of BS, more like it.

Look at the front panel of the MPC-X. Notice all the buttons and other controls to the left and right of the screen.

If you can't reach the screen easily in normal use, then you can't reach the buttons and other controls next to it, so you can't use it anyway. Get some surgery on them stupid short arms! Or if you have birth defects related to Thalidomide, then maybe you have to accept that is product is not for you.

If the vertical screen is a problem, lay it flat.

Or wait until it is released, test it in actual use, and find out if it really is a problem, vs a problem you have made up in your head. If it is a problem, buy something else.
Old 18th January 2017
  #325
Lives for gear
 

The screen ergonomics are a big deal. You are not going to want to have your hand up in the air tapping and dragging for very long. Its literally torture. A mouse is OK, your hand is lying on the desk the whole time. I am sceptical of the need for a large 10" touch screen. 10" screen yes, touch no.
Old 18th January 2017
  #326
Gear Maniac
 

i reckon just lay the screen down to be near flat (they havnt really shown it like that in any demos yet).. that should make it pretty nice to work with.
Old 18th January 2017
  #327
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
The screen ergonomics are a big deal. You are not going to want to have your hand up in the air tapping and dragging for very long.
Why are you going to need your hand up in the air tapping and dragging for very long?

Is it going to be up in the air tapping that much more than when you are playing pads and using the other controls on the MPC?

LOL!
Old 18th January 2017
  #328
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Everything I've read indicates it's only pitch and gate out for the CV. Obviously you can use gate out to trigger modulations and LFOs, provided you're going to modular or a synth where that's possible.
That would be a missed opportunity, IMO.

Having CV modulation within the sequence, in the same say that MIDI CC modulation/automation can be, makes sense to me.
Old 18th January 2017
  #329
Lives for gear
 

If you need this...



...you are doing life wrong.


Look at the buttons beside the screen, how are you supposed to reach them?... Move closer to the MPC and stop being so mentally incapacitated.
Old 18th January 2017
  #330
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
That would be a missed opportunity, IMO.

Having CV modulation within the sequence, in the same say that MIDI CC modulation/automation can be, makes sense to me.
We'll see. Like I said, I've not heard anything, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't necessarily send that CV as well.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump