The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amazed by How Good iPad Synths Are! Mobile Apps
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Amazed by How Good iPad Synths Are!

It seems like sacrilege and I was very, very skeptical... but then you just want a toy for a flight or laying in bed and it's the gateway app... ugh.

Just gotta say - it's pretty stunning what you can get on an iPad these days.

The ARP Odyssey is pretty kick as - I own an original white face and I'll definitely be using the iPad app more than the real thing. The Moog Model 15 is great as well as is the SEM... who knew...

What are you using that you like?
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Synths currently on my iPad:

Animoog
ODYSSEi
iWAVESTATION
FM4
Mersenne
Vogel CMI (just for fun, really)
Thumb Jam

For drums I really love:

Patterning
Diode-108
ElasticDrums

Borderlands is a fantastic granular sample mangler and FieldScaper is just endlessly fascinating.
Old 6th January 2017
Thor from propellerhead for ios is dank, as is iSEM
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus. View Post
Thor from propellerhead for ios is dank, as is iSEM
Yes, iSEM is quite good. I don't have it on my iPad any longer because I have it on my Mac now. (Same with Sunrizer.)
I have the Korg Collection on my computer but iWAVESTATION is superior in every way.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

I like the Model 15 a lot, great sound. I think I may go for Animoog next.
Old 6th January 2017
In addition to what's already mentioned, I definitely recommend PPG Wavemapper.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

I only bought and still own that iPad2 for Waldorf Nave, which still works perfectly on latest O.S. and it even goes places my Waldorf Microwave XT does not...pretty amazing app, but also love Virtual ANS and Voice Synth because I do a lot of field recording and I can import those wav files into any of those, and can even have images be converted to wavetables or audio.

Lastly, a recent acquisition is another great Novation product, their app called Blocs Wave and although I do have moog's Animoog, I actually prefer the sound and interface of Waldorf Nave.

Waldorf need to make a full hardware hybrid synth based on Nave.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Nave sounds good, although I don't feel comfortable programming it yet.

Sunrizer is deceptively useful, if you want a good VA polysynth...interface is real easy to use and instantly see where your patch is at, and the results don't sound cheap.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

I concur. There are beautiful softsynths on iPads now.
Old 6th January 2017
Sunrizer is amazing.

So is nave.

Korg gadget too.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Especially when you consider the cost. I took advantage of the Boxing Day sales at the app store to pick up a few more, mostly Korg.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Yes they are astonishing. If you have a good keyboard controller very good for the studio.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

+1 for korgs
Old 6th January 2017
Patterning is amazing
as is Sunrizer, iSem, and the Korg stuff...
Animoog is a must

Old 6th January 2017
Gear Addict

I got me a couple of synths just for "toying around" over the holidays... well, Korg Gadget, iElectribe, Odyssei and Auria/Beatmaker2 are definitely not just toys (+ all the other stuff mentioned in this thread). Just bought Mersenne..
  • Gadget can export sketches/projects as separate audio tracks, or Standard MIDI files (also one per track!). I just tried that and it worked like a charme. A few minutes later I had the tracks loaded in Reason and replaced one of the tracks with a Reason softsynth. Cool!
  • iElectribe sounded good to my ears and was quite fun to play around with. Sample fodder :D
  • Odyssei sounds very good and fat, iPad or not. Will definitely spend time programming patches!
  • Auria is surprisingly deep for an "app". I spent a few hours with it, recording some synths via Audiobus and arranging the clips, did not find any issues.
There's another app I bought called "blocs wave" (from Novation). It's a loop recorder / clip launcher type thing but I could not get it to record anything but silence via Audiobus (a bug? the iPad runs iOS 10.2).
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Maniac

ah yes and hook that ipad up to a motu avb and you get like 24 stereo channels or more if you like to go to outboard etc?

agree on model 15, wavemapper, and animoog.... best out there
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Model 15, Animoog, iSem, Nave and Korg M1 are all fantastic IMO. Patterning is a must for drums.
Old 6th January 2017
even if you dont use them much synths like the iMS20 and iOdessi are great as librarians and for writing/auditioning patches for the hardware

I own most of the good ones...I like Cassini, Additive synth, Samplr, iMPC pro and chordion as well as the others mentioned...got Cubasis and Auria pro, they are fully fledged Daws. Just never find myself on a desert island or stuck that far away from a real synth or hardware. Still amazing what can be done with them.

I loved touchable before I upgraded to Push 2...was great to run alongside Push 1 in mixer mode. Now I have a dedicated ipad just for the iPG800 applications, in fact Ive got three ipads...kids arent old enough for my hand me downs yet
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

just saw today that there's a new TB-303 "clone" to be released soon:

sounds/looks pretty good.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey777 View Post
ah yes and hook that ipad up to a motu avb and you get like 24 stereo channels or more if you like to go to outboard etc?

Yeah I need a new iPad for this..
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearAndGuitars View Post
It seems like sacrilege and I was very, very skeptical... but then you just want a toy for a flight or laying in bed and it's the gateway app... ugh.

Just gotta say - it's pretty stunning what you can get on an iPad these days.

The ARP Odyssey is pretty kick as - I own an original white face and I'll definitely be using the iPad app more than the real thing. The Moog Model 15 is great as well as is the SEM... who knew...

What are you using that you like?
I had an Ipad 3 (wife broke it years ago and that was that). In any case, I had written off IOS synths as decent sounding but not "pro". Then a couple of weeks ago I heard both the ODYSSEi and the iWAVESTATION. My mind was blown. I could literally not believe how good these two synths sounded.

At first, I was in denial and started listening to lackluster demo's of the VST version of the Wavestation and some other cross platform synths to reinforce my belief that awesuuuum desktop native code was superior. A little bit past the denial stage, I wanted some reassurance that I wasn't going crazy so I spent a week and a half googling things like 'IOS synth better than VST' and reading only threads posted within the last year or two to keep it relevant.

I've got an Ipad Pro on my wishlist now. May hold out to see what the Pro 2 might bring.

Oh, almost forgot, I heard a lead sound from the Propellerhead app running on an iphone that sounded so good it almost brought me to tears. I'm a believer.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey777 View Post

yep, model 15 is great, already have it.

I just snatched all the Gadget synths (still 50% off) and the Korg Module Wurly and Ivory Grand..

..and a camera kit for hooking up my otherwise unused Akai EIE Pro. I hope that gives me both MIDI and Audio in/out since that would make the iPad a really nice multitimbral "Gadget hardware synth" :-)
Old 6th January 2017
Too many good synths on the ipad. I'm using studiomux to record them directly over usb into logic. It works pretty well.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichi View Post

I'm using studiomux to record them directly over usb into logic. It works pretty well.
Same here. StudioMux is what made me start using my iPad seriously. So good.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Great mobile and awesome soundings apps....iPhone/iPad thru a pair of JBL Flip 3 (Stereo)
Can't wait to lay my hands on the 12.9 iPad Pro 2 hopefully in March
Attached Thumbnails
Amazed by How Good iPad Synths Are!-img_0048-copy.jpg   Amazed by How Good iPad Synths Are!-img_0049-copy.jpg  
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
just saw today that there's a new TB-303 "clone" to be released soon:

sounds/looks pretty good.
Yes looks and sounds awesome. Interesting take on the sequencer. Reminds me of a 303 software sequencer design I was working on a few years ago. Very futuristic lines/dots. It would be the logical evolution to making the sequencer more visually match the sound. So you could "see" the sequence and it would make sense when you hear it.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

All of the above and more, including GarageBand and Alchemy. Grabbed the pro version of Alchemy before Apple bought Camel Audio and removed Alchemy from the App Store. Bought a bunch of add-ons including the ability to use my own samples and create my own Alchemy presets. Outstanding.

Lots of versatile tools too, including editors for my SY/TG77, Blofeld, K1m, JD990 and AN200.

Also MIDIBridge lets me map CCs to notes so I can play the SU700 samples like an instrument.

Add this whole thread together and you've only scratched the surface of awesome iPad music apps.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

iPad synths are great...until you start adding up how much you spent on apps you'll never use.

Speaking from experience...I was big on iOS for a few years until I did the math. I got a lot of options for the money, but I'll be damned if I could name more than 5 apps now. Just never used them...but those 5 apps are indispensable.
Old 6th January 2017
IPads are fantastic tools. Eagerly awaiting Loopy HD. Modstep is a brilliant sequencer. Moog, Korg, Virsyn synths are current favorites.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

I also like the sound of ipad synths...but i rather compose song with desk top...any easy way to use ipad as midi synth with desktop daw?...sending midi from daw and getting sound out of it.......i am using samplitude
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search