The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amazed by How Good iPad Synths Are! Mobile Apps
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post
While it will work, problem is everything is being powered by the iPad (which is fine if you need portability).

My favorite midi connectors for iPads are the iConnectMIDI devices...although it uses an AC adapter, it allows iPad, computer, and 2 standard din midi in/outs (for the record, I use an older model that doesn't have the function buttons, mine has everything connected all the time):

Also it can charge the iPad:

They also have a basic one like the Roland, but connects directly to iPad without need of the CCK (Camera Connection Kit):
Sorry but Iconnect is garbage.

The newest CCK charges the ipad and powers whatever you have connected.
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post

I think this is the next logical step, and if Korg they will not do it someone else will do it in the near future.

And don't be sure that the prices will be low for such cool things, no, I predict that the prices will be between 999 $ for the basic versions and 1999 $ for the advanced versions.

I think the next logical thing for Korg is to port some of the Gadget Synths out into the real world and integrate them into the Volca line. Either as stand alone or as a "plug out" like Roland.

Or put them in a revamped Micro Line with Minikeys and coming in at $399

I would be all over a Korg microGADGET that ran the Gadget Synths, and since they are all software it should be pretty easy to do using cheap processors from Phones
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Using iMS-20, iSEM, Thor extensively.
They sounds great compared to HW, yet offers more hands-on-control possibilities.

I never use external audio interface for live performances, iPad's audio out is a pretty high quality output, yet i prefer to render audio on iPad when recording and don't need external HW FX.
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
The newest CCK charges the ipad and powers whatever you have connected.
That would be the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Connection Kit, for anybody using Google. Pricey at $40, but well worth it in my experience.

This from someone who used to love (and still has in the closet) the very first iConnectMIDI back in the day.
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

If people here have had issues with the iConnect devices, it's good that you speak up (even if it's going against my experience with them).
Old 18th November 2017
Gear Head

I'm surprised no one mentioned Virsyn Tera. It's a very nice synth that can sound very silky. They do have to iron out two serious bugs, though.
I don't enjoy Animoog as much as I thought I will and I find Micrologue in Cubasis to be a really, really good bread and butter synth.
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Lifesaver

Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Lifesaver

LOL4
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Lifesaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearAndGuitars View Post
LOL4
What's the joke?

You tried it and it's a poor gadget, or you think it's a very short cable?

In case you didn't know it's a gadget for wireless midi from the iPad.
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

In my humble viewpoint the iPad has become a Tascam 4 track sketch recorder spen a few hundred and you'll reap huge being its from iOS apps that can and sync easily with most DAW and other plug ins from Korg to Vogal to PPG and Arturia, better a slow drip fed investment means GarageBand or similar is all that's required 808 and 909 plus Linn samples exist and in batches of thousands from wav. To you name it!

Great stuff, I keep one iPad for ideas alone! Quick easy no fuss!
Old 24th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Does anyone know of good Black Friday sales for iPad synths?
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamboyant View Post
Does anyone know of good Black Friday sales for iPad synths?
In the U.S. at least, all Korg apps are 40% to 50% off till January 9.

Even if you don't get Gadget, you might want to pay attention to the Odyssey app, with up to 8-voice poly, awesome effects and a fun analog-style step sequencer.

Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
In the U.S. at least, all Korg apps are 40% to 50% off till January 9.

Even if you don't get Gadget, you might want to pay attention to the Odyssey app
I love the Odyssey app, all of the Korg iPad apps are great especially when they go on sale
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

It's just code on another computer. it should be as good as any vst etc. the bottleneck is the substandard audio out. if you can USB to a better DAC you will totally win! ;D
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I love the Odyssey app, all of the Korg iPad apps are great especially when they go on sale
+1

They sound great and are excellent sample fodder.
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
+1

They sound great and are excellent sample fodder.
Totally agree, and I find to regular audio out on my iPads to be as good or better than on any of the actual vintage pieces they are emulating, so I use them as sound modules for live use all the time

Would using an actual interface produce better sound? Sure but when the regular out gets me 95% there I don't really care
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would using an actual interface produce better sound? Sure but when the regular out gets me 95% there I don't really care
I'd like to know the same. It's more of a feeling that the sound is a bit weak, rather than a direct insight. Are there any quality modern converters or vintage (eventide H3000?) that could make the ios synths shine a bit more? Using the Line outs on my IO dock leaves something to be desired - I always pass the iPad through a Mackie 1604 before my main interface - somehow makes a difference.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyas View Post
I'd like to know the same. It's more of a feeling that the sound is a bit weak, rather than a direct insight. Are there any quality modern converters or vintage (eventide H3000?) that could make the ios synths shine a bit more? Using the Line outs on my IO dock leaves something to be desired - I always pass the iPad through a Mackie 1604 before my main interface - somehow makes a difference.
I’d recommend Studiomux, goes directly in without any DA conversion.
Probably has better latency than the IO dock too.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyas View Post
I use a MIDI interface connected to the lightning port, and run a stereo 1/8" cable to 1/4" ts cable right out of the headphone socket and run that right into my mixer on two channels hard panned right and left

Sounds good enough for me
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use a MIDI interface connected to the lightning port, and run a stereo 1/8" cable to 1/4" ts cable right out of the headphone socket and run that right into my mixer on two channels hard panned right and left

Sounds good enough for me
Somehow I've been afraid of using the ipads headphone out. I'm also going from my interface to two mixer channels panned L/R. This gives me the flexibility I need with hardware fx and eq.
I really like studiomux actually, and to my ears, it does sound better, skipping those two stages of DA/AD. Caveat is that I don't get to play with my hardware fx, which is about 90% of the fun with iOS synths.

I've also found not all iOS synths are really created equal. I was surprised by it - but the Virsyn apps and Thor sound fantastic next to hardware.I thought the PPG apps, Animoog and Nave would be where it's at - but when sitting next to the hardware, all sounded a bit flat.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

There's nothing wrong in using iPad audio output - it is much better then many DACs on a market, better than some expensive DACs and definitely better than cheap soundcards.
You can find measurements on the net if you know how to read them.
iDevices output really is one of the best out there.
Old 26th December 2017
Gear Addict

I made this with a mixture of iPad synths. Great fun

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search