The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amazed by How Good iPad Synths Are! Mobile Apps
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligak View Post
I had given up on doing anything music-wise with my iPad 4 after my experience 2 years ago trying to get iConnectMIDI2+ interface (a horribly complicated device) to work with my iMac. Can something like StudioMux replace the ICM2+, Alesis IO, etc?
In the studio, yes it can. But you can test it yourself with little money.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had given up on doing anything music-wise with my iPad 4 after my experience 2 years ago trying to get iConnectMIDI2+ interface (a horribly complicated device) to work with my iMac. Can something like StudioMux replace the ICM2+, Alesis IO, etc?
Studiomux basically turns the iPad into up to 8 external VSTs. One USB cable, and the studiomux VST app, you create a track in your DAW, put the studiomux plugin on it, select which of the apps you have configured in studiomux on the iPad that you want in that daw track. The vst sends midi over the USB to studiomux which relays it to the app, which sends the audio back, through studiomux to your DAW.

It's pretty painless, but it doesn't work for standalone midi, your DAW and the VST (or AU) is required to use it.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

I've been using Troublemaker a lot. It's a great app. Sounds magnificent.

Tried syncing it with Patterning via Audiobus. Not entirely sure if it's my hearing, or whether timing drifts a little. Anyone else experienced this.

Also, I usually stream audio to a Bluetooth Minirig speaker from my iPad. Is Audiobus unable to stream to Bluetooth? Never really given this much thought.

Some great options. I'm interested in getting Audiomux next so I can follow everyone else's recommendations.

I'm still loathe to think of the iPad as a serious production tool, however. Brilliant for scratchpads, individual sound modules, and getting ideas down quickly. I just find it too fiddly for complete projects.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes !

For the massive fee of about a tenner or a couple of beers whichever you prefer
Old 17th January 2017
Waldorf Nave is dope. Ive been gigging with it for the last 3 months
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

I used to buy a ton of apps and have pretty much everything you'd want to have that came out prior to 2015, but other than iWavestation I don't think I've purchased a single music app since then. But, I just got a $50 iTunes card for my birthday, so I'm trying to see if there's anything rad I've missed. Any must-have iOS apps from the last couple years I should look at?
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearAndGuitars View Post
I have an iPad Mini and it's just great.
Yeah, an iPad mini is still bigger than an iPhone.

I had Model 15, Gadget, ODYSSEi, and Wavestation on my iPhone and they are a bit cumbersome to use. Now that I have a modern iPad Pro, these apps are a lot easier...
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Addict

Last night I successfully got my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 working with my iPad... so perhaps most USB interfaces will work with iPads.

All you need is the Lightning to female USB adapter ("Camera Connection Kit") and a powered USB hub if your interface doesn't have a separate power supply.

Cubasis recognized the interface and I was able to send MIDI to a hardware synth and record back the audio directly from the interface.

Pretty cool.

Only negative is that you can't charge the battery with the interface plugged in.

Last edited by umptanum; 17th January 2017 at 06:47 PM..
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by umptanum View Post
Last night I successfully got my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 working with my iPad... so perhaps most USB interfaces will work with iPads.

All you need is the Lightning to female USB adapter ("Camera Connection Kit") and a powered USB hub if your interface doesn't have a separate power supply.

Cubasis recognized the interface and I was able to send MIDI to a hardware synth and record back the audio directly from the interface.

Pretty cool.

Only negative is that you can't charge the battery with the interface plugged in.
FYI there is a different lightning camera connection kit that allows you to charge, its $10 more.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Addict

Alchemy is very nice. Poor man's Omnisphere. Was gone for a while but they just added it to the new Garageband update. Coolness!
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Kind of. Maybe it wasn't obvious when I played with it, but it seems to be presets with a few tweaks like resonance and cutoff. I've never used alchemy on logic, but what I saw on the iPad did not look like a fully editable synth.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for the heads-up.

Alas, it requires iOS 10.2 or later and:
  • iPhone 6 or later
  • or iPad Pro
  • or iPad Air 2
  • or iPad mini4

So I can get it only on my phone. Luckily for me, however, I grabbed Alchemy Pro years ago before Camel Audio got swallowed up.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Tried Studiomux last night, amazed by how well it works. Apps sound great going in direct and the latency is excellent, even on my old Ipad 2.
I have a Griffen interface, but rarely use it because the latency is terrible.
I've bought an Ipad Air (1) which should arrive soon, I think I'll lash out and get "Phonem" for some vocal synth fun.
Old 1st February 2017
ISEM is excellent. I'm really liking FunkBox, it sounds nice through some hardware. iMPC crashes on me constantly which is a shame because it's fun when it works. GarageBand is all over the place with IAA timing, is auria better for that?
Old 14th February 2017
Lives for gear

Moog apps are all half price until midnight of the 14th Feb, so not long.
Just about to grab Model 15.
Old 18th February 2017
Gear Maniac

The moog modular is pretty cool.

The Wurlitzer in NeoSoul keys is cool.

The Korg wavestation should be cool.

There are a few others I found in a magazine of top rated iPhone synths . Same with this forum. I think alchemy might one.
Old 4th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevegasnerve View Post
Is Loopy HD still happening? Haven't received an update in a long time.
Not sure. Check YouTube. The dev was making really good videos describing his process, he may be delayed.
Old 16th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Guys, what's the easiest way to sync those beautiful apps to external gear? For example, it's very tempting to sync Patterning (or Gadget) to my Korg Minilogue. What's the best way to do it and jam and both the iPad and the hardware synth at the same time?
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Got a Mac or PC? Get studiomux, let the iPad have midi over USB and the minilogue have midi over midi. Sync complete
Old 17th November 2017
Gear Maniac

I see. Thank you. Is there no way to sync them without a computer in between?
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamboyant View Post
A $30 class compliant midi usb thing like the Roland um-one and the CCK is all you need.
Old 17th November 2017
Gear Maniac

That's promising! Thanks a lot
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamboyant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
A $30 class compliant midi usb thing like the Roland um-one and the CCK is all you need.
While it will work, problem is everything is being powered by the iPad (which is fine if you need portability).

My favorite midi connectors for iPads are the iConnectMIDI devices...although it uses an AC adapter, it allows iPad, computer, and 2 standard din midi in/outs (for the record, I use an older model that doesn't have the function buttons, mine has everything connected all the time):

Also it can charge the iPad:

They also have a basic one like the Roland, but connects directly to iPad without need of the CCK (Camera Connection Kit):
Old 17th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Awesome! Thank you
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

So much hassle with all these connections.

Why Korg and Roland they don’t make their own ipad synth, with a pro DAW into it and a bunch of cool I – synths installed into it, and if someone user wants more synths he can download more from their web sites. It is so that simple.

A lot of people don’t want or need i - pads, to me are useless, except if I want to use an ipad for music making of course…

If Korg they will not do it someone else will do it definitely, it is so pretty much obvious and inevitable…
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
So much hassle with all these connections.

Why Korg and Roland they don’t make their own ipad synth, with a pro DAW into it and a bunch of cool I – synths installed into it, and if someone user wants more synths he can download more from their web sites. It is so that simple.

A lot of people don’t want or need i - pads, to me are useless, except if I want to use an ipad for music making of course…

If Korg they will not do it someone else will do it definitely, it is so pretty much obvious and inevitable…
You mean a workstation like a Korg Kronos?
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

the iconnect2 is a nightmare in waiting in my experience.

each to their own but buggy and unreliable SW was an understatement for me
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
You mean a workstation like a Korg Kronos?
Absolutely, not exactly full featured as Kronos, but something more basic I guess.

See for example what Akai they have done with their MPC live, it offers the tactile experience of an ipad, it is portable, standalone and cool, but it is a sampler - groove box. For what it does is almost perfect, but some other people they want a ‘generic’ workstation in a very portable and small format.

I think this is the next logical step, and if Korg they will not do it someone else will do it in the near future.

And don't be sure that the prices will be low for such cool things, no, I predict that the prices will be between 999 $ for the basic versions and 1999 $ for the advanced versions.
Old 17th November 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
the iconnect2 is a nightmare in waiting in my experience.

each to their own but buggy and unreliable SW was an understatement for me
I had the same experience, Jamie. Until I got things working. The iConnectivity folks could certainly use more documentation / demo vids. But -- once I had things connected, configured... and understood routing.. it all has come together. Thankfully -- they have released some updates recently, which got things rolling again, with the latest OSX releases. I'm *still* slogging my way through available options, after many months with my iConnectMIDI4+ ... but have it doing the (relatively) simple stuff now. Full iOS integration with my hardware synths, without needing my Mac... is a slam dunk now.

I was ready to pick up the Moog Model 15 today ... having found it on sale last night. I went to purchase it this morning... and it the price had jacked back up to $29.99 from the sale price of $9.99. Hopefully they'll put it back up for sale for Black Friday, or Christmas...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search