The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amazed by How Good iPad Synths Are! Mobile Apps
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

i like all the au fx range , some very nice delays and reverbs (although ive never used a pro fx box like the strymon ones).
some great granular fx, glitchy things , and often under £3

i think its the ease in which to start them up/play on them which is why i use them most.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Does anyone know if Studiomux and Gadget / the other Korg apps (iPolysix etc.)get along?
Old 10th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by APHELEON View Post
Does anyone know if Studiomux and Gadget / the other Korg apps (iPolysix etc.)get along?
Seems to work fine. I spent an hour last night putting a bunch of synths through studiomux to see if they'd work in Logic and most do as IAAs.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

That new Troublemaker synth is pretty damn fun. I'm not a big 303 addict, but the sequencer is pretty fun on this thing and it sounds solid. Rather than dropping $400 on a TB-3, dropping $10 on this app for the occasional acid line is pretty nice.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

FM4 -- elegant interface and gorgeous sound

(Still hoping for feedback for each operator as an update however)
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichi View Post
Seems to work fine. I spent an hour last night putting a bunch of synths through studiomux to see if they'd work in Logic and most do as IAAs.
Thanks, Pichi.
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you please share what did you do in order to make Gadget and Module respond to MIDI note messages over Studiomux?
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

In the iwavestation thread, someone mentioned that some of the Korg apps don't show up as MIDI destinations so they can run audio but can't receive MIDI from your DAW. That may be fixed--I don't know--but it wasn't a problem with iwavestation, but it took me a bit of fiddling before studiomux successfully called up the iWavestation app.

^
|
Beat me to it...
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Hmm midi into Gadget is the main reason I am interested in Studiomux...
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear

Totally agree, some fantastic IPad apps out their for music making!
Old 11th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
Can you please share what did you do in order to make Gadget and Module respond to MIDI note messages over Studiomux?
Sure. I just tried it out now and it worked fine: After setting up Studiomux on your ipad and on your computer choose an external instrument for the plugin slot and choose Gadget as the MIDI destination. Set channel and input as you like and you're ready to go. Unfortunately I can only seem to get it to control one synth at a time.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Head

I'm a fan of the iPolysix, love the sequencer, interface, and sound.

I just picked up troublemaker, neat idea, needs a few more features.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear
I like Fugue Machine, Auxy and Korg Gadget. And Yamaha Synth Book which has an AN1X clone. I used to have 100's of music apps but I deleted the majority of them to concentrate on a few.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure. I just tried it out now and it worked fine: After setting up Studiomux on your ipad and on your computer choose an external instrument for the plugin slot and choose Gadget as the MIDI destination. Set channel and input as you like and you're ready to go. Unfortunately I can only seem to get it to control one synth at a time.
Interesting...it doesn't work for me on Module and Gadget but it works for almost all my other iPad apps with Studiomux. (that is on Cubase on Windows 10)
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Guru

Ok, so I fecked up and have to send the Yamaha bluetooth midi thingy back because my ancient ipad2 doesn't do bluetooth 4. Hey ho.

So now, it is either MusicIO or Studiomux.

I am looking to use with Logic and also Bitwig on OSX ElCap. Anyone using any of the two with Bitwig successfully on a Mac? Any reason one is better choice than the other? Looks like Mux can do 8 synths at the same time and MusicIO 4? Not too bothered by that, more thinking which works best reliably....
Old 11th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Ok, so I fecked up and have to send the Yamaha bluetooth midi thingy back because my ancient ipad2 doesn't do bluetooth 4. Hey ho.

I am looking to use with Logic and also Bitwig on OSX ElCap. Anyone using any of the two with Bitwig successfully on a Mac? Any reason one is better choice than the other? Looks like Mux can do 8 synths at the same time and MusicIO 4? Not too bothered by that, more thinking which works best reliably....
Don't know about Bitwig, but Mux is the most stable of the two apps. I'm using Logic on ElCap.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

The Ipad2 has bluetooth. Or is it just not compatible with the Yamaha?
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
The Ipad2 has bluetooth. Or is it just not compatible with the Yamaha?
Bluetooth v4 was the low energy spec, which the Yamaha uses.

And the first iPad to support Bluetooth v4 was the iPad 3 - iPad 3 'first tablet' with Bluetooth 4.0 • The Register
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Traded my old 2010 quad core Mac Pro for a barely used 9.7" 32gb iPad Pro and keyboard last night. I think I came out ahead...

Was nice to login to my account and watch all my iPad and universal apps load into it (I have another iPad...the very first one, and I buy universal apps like the newer Korgs on my iPhone when on sale, so I have a few!).
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

For an ipad2 - you can also hop on the bay and grab an Alesis ioDock.. midi/audio/etc and they go pretty cheap.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Korg releasing Gadget onto Mac OS X
Korg Gadget Leaps From iOS To Mac – Synthtopia

* Award winning KORG Gadget currently iOS only will soon be available for Mac.
* The ultimate Gadget collection includes all of the more than 30 gadgets.
* Intuitive and simple operation that delivers powerful music production
* Power users can get back to the basics, beginners can jump right into great music making.
* Takes advantage of the large screen with a single-window four-split (divided in four) screen design.
* Comes with "Gadget Plug-in Collection," a magnificent collection of plug-ins that support AU, VST, AAX, and NKS.
* Two new gadgets provide long-awaited audio recording.
* A new powerful drum gadget with 16 pads.
* Supports the latest technology including Allihoopa, Ableton Link, and Bluetooth MIDI.
* Seamless connection between KORG Gadget for iOS and KORG Gadget for Mac enables a smooth workflow so you can produce music anytime and anywhere

Last edited by deng; 12th January 2017 at 10:16 PM..
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deng View Post
Korg releasing Gadget onto Mac OS X
Korg Gadget Leaps From iOS To Mac – Synthtopia
Insane. Just minutes ago I declared my 10-year-long battle to be ITB was over because I found out how to make the iPad's ModStep and Gadget the center of my hybrid ITT ("in the tablet") setup. Seriously, I'd made the decision just moments ago. And I was coming to this thread to announce my declaration, and then I see Gadget is coming to the Mac!

If it has Mac-only gadgets and features, there's no way I can stop myself from buying this.

What a great time to be a musician.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

So good you had to say it twice

I know I know
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Maybe the Odyssei should get another mention, as it isn't mentioned a lot here, unlike say the Sunrizer.
I think it sounds stellar, even though it has presets.
For my money it's right up there with the Animoog and the Sunrizer - though I haven't done any specific comparison.

BTW, running a little through those presets, I got to one that sounded impossible with the shown slider and switch settings. I looked over the display time and time again, and even moved some sliders just in case...
This is how I found out it has built-in effects.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicEasel View Post
Maybe the Odyssei should get another mention, as it isn't mentioned a lot here, unlike say the Sunrizer.
I think it sounds stellar, even though it has presets.
For my money it's right up there with the Animoog and the Sunrizer - though I haven't done any specific comparison.

BTW, running a little through those presets, I got to one that sounded impossible with the shown slider and switch settings. I looked over the display time and time again, and even moved some sliders just in case...
This is how I found out it has built-in effects.
ODYSSEi is good though it's really tough to tweak on an iPhone..definitely one you need an iPad for imho.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
So good you had to say it twice

I know I know
Hah! Thanks for the heads-up. Double post deleted. Double post deleted.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
ODYSSEi is good though it's really tough to tweak on an iPhone..definitely one you need an iPad for imho.
Yeah, that's what I imagined, and I warned people against buying without trying.
Me, I use a 12.9 inch iPad, and on that one it's bliss.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I have an iPad Mini and it's just great.
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Korg, like Moog, is doing some great things on IOS.

I agree there is something special about Beepstreet's Sunrizer! Whatever version you have, you should get HomeGrown Sounds free Sunrizer bank. Very nice!
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

I had given up on doing anything music-wise with my iPad 4 after my experience 2 years ago trying to get iConnectMIDI2+ interface (a horribly complicated device) to work with my iMac. Can something like StudioMux replace the ICM2+, Alesis IO, etc?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search