The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amazed by How Good iPad Synths Are! Mobile Apps
Old 6th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher View Post
IPads are fantastic tools. Eagerly awaiting Loopy HD. Modstep is a brilliant sequencer. Moog, Korg, Virsyn synths are current favorites.
Is Loopy HD still happening? Haven't received an update in a long time.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak75 View Post
I also like the sound of ipad synths...but i rather compose song with desk top...any easy way to use ipad as midi synth with desktop daw?...sending midi from daw and getting sound out of it.......i am using samplitude
It's been mentioned earlier in the thread. StudioMux.

One cable from your iPad to desktop carries MIDI and audio.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
It's been mentioned earlier in the thread. StudioMux.

One cable from your iPad to desktop carries MIDI and audio.
Ok,thanks
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

I never realised Studiomux allows you to use programs as VSTs/AUs within your DAW. That's pretty impressive.

I love Korg Gadget, and Patterning. I've forgotten what others I have on there.

Out of curiousity, how many iPads can you effectively install owned APPS on if you have multiple machines?
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
I never realised Studiomux allows you to use programs as VSTs/AUs within your DAW. That's pretty impressive.

I love Korg Gadget, and Patterning. I've forgotten what others I have on there.

Out of curiousity, how many iPads can you effectively install owned APPS on if you have multiple machines?

I believe as many as are tethered to your iTunes account.

I have apps that are installed on both my iPhone and iPad that I only bought once.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

ims20 is perhaps my favourite
I sem
Nave

Imo all are superb, Magellan has some magic in it also and Mersenne is fantastic for FM style percussion, it's such a great creation tool and for a couple of quid it is just brilliant.

I bought an organ called Galleo on sale last year and the sounds that makes are astonishing too.

I've got two AUfx effects processors-worth every penny.

Truly great synthesis options on offer in the iPad now that can sound amazing.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quite the exciting thread after having heard some of those synths.......

is anyone running one of these at all:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_md_...di_adapter.htm

Curious about latency and general experience. Hoping it could turn my old ipad into basically a variable software/synthesis, bluetooth midi hardware synth, who's output sound can be sweetened up with a Dragonfly Black and make for quite the wicked tool, sent through hardware to audio......
Old 6th January 2017
Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevegasnerve View Post
Is Loopy HD still happening? Haven't received an update in a long time.
The dev was posting to YouTube about it, unsure where it stands now.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Addict

Funny this thread came up after I just spent all week trying out iPad apps that would mimic a traditional DAW environment. Got a Korg NanoKeyStudio for Christmas and wanted to see what would play nice with it.

My quick takeaways...

Korg Gadget is amazing... it's close to Ableton Live on the iPad with it's session-like workflow and the synths that come with it are all fun and useful. It's nice how they make each synth do a specific job (pads, VA, PCM, sampling, FM, etc) and how they link up with their standalone synths like iMS-20 and iWAVESTATION. Also love the interface and how it plays nice in portrait or landscape view.

Cubasis is a wonderful traditional DAW environment. The whole Inter App Audio link is great and being able to just freeze and record a track with a push of a button is fantastic. I don't regularly use Cubase or an Apple desktop so these things might be taken for granted by others, but for me it was pretty awesome seeing it just work. Cubasis' touch workflow isn't as smooth and visually responsive as Korg Gadget, but it certainly works great.

Since I use Cubasis and have a Bluetooth MIDI controller, the synths that play nice with IAA and MIDI learn became my favorite:

- Sunrizer is a very nice VA that mimics the JP-8000. This quickly became my workhorse. It does all the virtual analog things beautifully.

- Zeta+ is pretty much a direct port of the original zeta+ VST and having a touch interface for all those OCSs (touch waveshaping!), LFOS and envelopes and matrix options actually makes it feel easier to use than the PC version. Zeta+ is a monster synth with no shortage of sculpting options.

- Nave is the Waldorf app that brings the Blofeld and Microwave heritage to the iPad. Its a little tabby with its multiple screen interface and isn't as straightforward as Sunrizer or Zeta+... but it certainly brings the digital synth wonderland that Waldorf is famous for.

- iSpark for drums. Has a huge library of great sounding samples with tons of tweaking options. Has its own hardware controller if you want it. I tried a lot of drum-machine apps and iSpark destroyed them all with its complete featureset and sound quality.

So now those 4 apps playing nice with Cubasis and a Bluetooth MIDI controller is my new portable DAW studio. I love Korg Gadget, but sometimes its nice having a more traditional, linear arrangement environment that isn't loop-based.

I'm also irritated that Korg doesn't have simple MIDI learn functionality to their synths. Propellerhead's Thor is in the same boat... wonderful synth that's crippled by the fact it doesn't play nice with an external controller. Korg's NanoKeyStudio is sorta hardwired to work well with Gadget, but I wish it was easier to customize the controls.

Time to make some tunes!
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

If you have fun with cheap apps, these ones are worth to consider:

- Yamaha AN1500 (free - via Synthbook - works fine on iPad)
- DRC (free - sometimes sounds a bit cheap, sometimes really fine)
- BitWiz (1 Dollar - some really strange, nice noises and sounds are possible)
- ZMors Modular (i paid 4 Euro)
- Addictive Microsynth (i paid 2 Euro - surprisingly good)
- Rhythm (i paid 1 Euro - if you like acid stuff)
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Curious about latency and general experience. Hoping it could turn my old ipad into basically a variable software/synthesis, bluetooth midi hardware synth, who's output sound can be sweetened up with a Dragonfly Black and make for quite the wicked tool, sent through hardware to audio......

I don't have a Bluetooth adapter, I'm currently using this regular DIN-MIDI one https://www.thomann.de/gb/ik_multimedia_irig_midi_2.htm

Just wanted to say that in case you (or someone else) is confused by how to control e.g. the Korg Odyssei standalone app with a regular MIDI connection: Apparently you can't. However, if the Odyssei is loaded in Korg Gadget ("Lexington"), it is possible to select a MIDI interface+channel.

I currently have my iPad headphone output hooked up to my audio interface and am playing the Odyssei with my master keyboard.

As for the latency question:

I created a test sequence using a percussive Odyssei sound, armed an audio track in Reason, sent MMC play+record commands to Reason (i.e. press "record+play" in my sequencer), and exported the resulting track to wav.
In audacity I can see that there are 905 sample frames of silence before the first note starts.

That's the entire roundtrip, i.e. the time it takes for the note-on to arrive at the iPad, the time the iPad app takes to render the audio, the iPad audio driver to send it to the headphone output, the input latency of my audio interface (set to 64 sample frames), ..
For comparison, recording my Prophet 08 in the same way results in 370 sample frames of silence before the first note.

Since these numbers seem awfully high I suspect that there is some recording-start latency going on (=> must investigate later on), so I made another test:

I programmed a sequence of 64th notes and a "click" patch in Odyssei.

The deviations from the ideal note frame delta of 1378.125 sample frames @44.1khz / 120 BPM for the first 6 notes are (in milliseconds):

Not too shabby, I guess.

I wonder what output latency the iPad pro / iOS 10.2 / Korg Gadget has. Probably <= 128 frames.

Long story short: Playing the Odyssei iPad synth via a MIDI keyboard does not feel or sound laggy. And it sounds very nice and aliasing free :-)
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Too pitty that Gadget and Module don't receive MIDI from PC DAW through Studiomux. Makes them practically unusable for this matter...
Old 6th January 2017
i've been using granular stuff like iDensity and Pulsaret for a while now. mind blown. so much so, i've put iPad Pro on my priorities list for 2017. would like to pair it with something like launch control for realtime knobs and switches.

just recently ive been digging into wider ios app selection to see what else is there. overall think i am most impressed with granular and leftfield sound design stuff (like the borderlands, fieldscope and pulsaret). the vintage analog emulations sound just as good, or just as bad, as their vsti counterparts. Nave sounds ok, tho i still prefer the sound of their hardware.

thanks for pointing me to Sunrizer, on the first listen seems it captures good part of mid/late 90 "VA sheen" very jp8000ish. very nice wide pads. wish there was something similar doing a reasonably accurate rendition of Nord Lead 1/2, and Virus B tone, respectively. those are my favorites from that era.

my recent purchases/downloads-

Neosoul Rhodes full collection tryout (it stops working every three minutes) - was really dissapointed compared to Scarbee i use in vst/kontakt enviroment. somehow lacking detail and is lifeless. my intention was to use it live, i even bought plugkey for that plan. i ended up running kontakt on my MBP.

Mellotron 3000 50yr anniversary. needed it quickly for a gig. it did the job but sounds kinda thin and harsh. i do not recommend it. also its just a handful of sounds. if you want entire lib its $75.

Samplr - while it lacks midi cc support it sounds fantastic, the pitch and time algos are good quality. it does listen to midi clock. awesome tool for live sample mangling

PS i recently got Korg PlugKey, which provides din midi input and stereo 24/48 output to iOS devices. sounds okay tho output lacks headroom and is kinda quiet. so, other than ubituqous RME Babyface2, any other suggestions for a small iOS interface with midi din i/o and higher quality stereo i/o ?

PSS is there a way to connect both the audio/midi interface and a controller like launch control to iOS device... via usb hub or something?

thanks

@Scott Wozniak: thanks for posting about Studiomux, holy f*** i had no idea !!
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post

Neosoul Rhodes full collection tryout (it stops working every three minutes) - was really dissapointed compared to Scarbee i use in vst/kontakt enviroment. somehow lacking detail and is lifeless. my intention was to use it live, i even bought plugkey for that plan. i ended up running kontakt on my MBP.
I think the "Suitcase" from Neosoul Rhodes is quite good but the rest is so so though.
Old 6th January 2017
Not a synth, but I wish I still had an ipad so I could use Fugue Machine.

Old 7th January 2017
Gear Addict

Fugue Machine is great. Also good for quickly finding sounds that go well together.

Old 7th January 2017
Gear Addict

BTW Roland has a cheap interface on the way

https://ask.audio/articles/roland-in...ndroid-devices
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Difool View Post
Fugue Machine is great. Also good for quickly finding sounds that go well together.

I need to check this out. I bet it would be cool with a modular, too!
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

wow that fugue is such a simple idea but hell yeah , not seen that B4
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Guru

Ipad, your idle days are numbered, I just ordered this:

Looking forward to it turning my old FB-01 into a superbly editable and patch saveable machine and also the DX9....and of course turn the ipad into basically a wireless midi hardware synth of whatever persuasion with touch controls.....this should be fun!

I'll report back when it's up, see how that thing works.
Old 7th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Ipad, your idle days are numbered, I just ordered this:

Looking forward to it turning my old FB-01 into a superbly editable and patch saveable machine and also the DX9....and of course turn the ipad into basically a wireless midi hardware synth of whatever persuasion with touch controls.....this should be fun!

I'll report back when it's up, see how that thing works.
I'd definitely be interested to know how it works out for you. I almost bought that for a gig I had on Wednesday. I wanted to use the Command Station as the main centerpiece and trigger samples from my iPhone using the CS's sequencer. I ended up going with the Roland 1x1 with the wires because I was afraid of latency or possible Bluetooth interference in a crowded place. Looks like a cool product. Just wusses out because of the lack of reports. Looking forward to yours.
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
I need to check this out. I bet it would be cool with a modular, too!
Well, its main force is it's got 4 play heads out of 4 MIDI channels so to get the most out of it you need something that is 4 part multitimbral or 4 different instruments with a MIDI splitter

Last edited by John Difool; 7th January 2017 at 06:12 PM..
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
I'd definitely be interested to know how it works out for you. I almost bought that for a gig I had on Wednesday. I wanted to use the Command Station as the main centerpiece and trigger samples from my iPhone using the CS's sequencer. I ended up going with the Roland 1x1 with the wires because I was afraid of latency or possible Bluetooth interference in a crowded place. Looks like a cool product. Just wusses out because of the lack of reports. Looking forward to yours.
Well, I thought if it doesn't work properly it's going back to Thomann, so let's find out if it delivers. If it does I will be a very happy DX9 and FB-01 owner.
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Nut
Just buy a iPad Pro 9.7 just for isynths!
Did you forget the great synths from PPG found Wolfgang Palm - PPG Apps?

Last edited by vcs3_pt; 8th January 2017 at 02:30 AM..
Old 7th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcs3_pt View Post
Just by a iPad Pro 9.7 just for isynths!
Did you forget the great synths from PPG found Wolfgang Palm - PPG Apps?
No. I already mentioned Wavemapper on the first page! It's awesome. One of my favorites. Here's a list of stuff on my iPhone. Still waiting for the next gen of iPads before buying one.
Attached Thumbnails
Amazed by How Good iPad Synths Are!-img_5624.jpg  
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
@Scott Wozniak: thanks for posting about Studiomux, holy f*** i had no idea !!
Reading https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/stud...966554837?mt=8 I am not getting warm vibes ...
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobbo View Post
Reading https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/stud...966554837?mt=8 I am not getting warm vibes ...
Works perfectly for me but my studio computer is still on El Capitan.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Just grabbed troublemaker by bam bros , they've done a good job on a 303
Especially the interface , nice to add slides , accents etc.

There are a few instant requests but I've easily made many nice bass lines on it in the first 30 minutes of play.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks guys.

This weekend, I've added Troublemaker, iSem, Fugue, Figure, and FM4.

Amazing.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
... I've added Troublemaker ...
damn, that was quick. didn't even realize it was released, last i saw the dev was about to submit it to Apple. i'll have to pick that up soon.

EDIT: ahh, just released today it looks like? $9.99 is a good price, that's cool.

i've bought a number of iOS synths, drum machines, etc (too many, i'd say) over the years but all i ever really use is Korg Gadget (along with the recent ARP Odyssei... i've got the iWaveStation and iM1 as well, they're ok). i can do pretty much anything that i'd want to with just that. i'd like to pick up both of the wireless controllers (nanoKONTROL and nanoKEY Studio) for it eventually. i think those would make me a lot more productive with it, generally i just use it to kill time when i'm away from home. i've got the nanoKEY Air 37 right now, which is pretty nice.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search