The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should I trade my MPC3000 for a PC with a cope of Maschine? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman Young View Post
I don't want to appropriate anybody's culture, I just want to make pure techno. I don't want my music to sound unnaturally jiggly. The MPC makes my beats sound too jiggy, I want them to be so stiff they sound funky.
If you truncate your samples very tight and keep the quantizer on 8th or 16th notes the MPC 3000 can sound very, very stiff- i'm still not understanding the comment about the not wanting the sound to sound too black but like others have said here, black influence in music is in just about everything, everywhere in all genres. Maybe Wil Smith is guilty of getting too jiggy but i would hardly describe the MPC 3000 sound as too jiggy, that's just flatly inaccurate
Old 4th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Oh you're a kid, it all makes sense now. Its certainly well within the 3000's capability to do a straight 4 on the floor dance beat. Turn on Timing Correct and set it like this:
Note value: 1/16 NOTE
Swing%: 50
Shift amount: 0

But honestly given you're 15 you would probably be better suited by getting Maschine. Leave the classic hardware to us dinosaurs, its a new day and age for you kids. How did you end up with a 3000 anyway?
Old 4th January 2017
Here's the test I was on about. When using internal sync the MPC3000 gets to about 5 samples accurate, or 0.1ms, plenty tight.

Innerclock Systems - Precision Midi Clock Din Sync and Tempo Synchronisation Solutions
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Oh you're a kid
Of course he is. His name is Coleman Young. Just connect the dots.
Old 4th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Of course he is. His name is Coleman Young. Just connect the dots.
Yea just noticed that.
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

re

really you dont get much tighter than 3000. again use whatever feels right to you but of course tons of electronic music has been made on mpcs. I would base my answer more on what else you use and what kind of workflow you use. if you use a bunch of real hardware the 3k is going to be the best. if you use just a laptop and a bunch of plugins you may want to look at a controller type thing like machine.
Old 4th January 2017
Here for the gear

I have a copy of dance Ejay I will trade you.
Old 4th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
Easily solved by lowering buffer settings.
I suspect most people know this.

He's playing extremely fast. He wouldn't be able to play like that if there was latency. Also, Maschine doesn't run standalone. It requires a computer to make sound.
easily solved assuming He has the exact same gear as you. and also assuming you have the same performance as Jeremy Ellis.
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
easily solved assuming He has the exact same gear as you. and also assuming you have the same performance as Jeremy Ellis.
Don't really get what you're trying to say.
Any computer made in the last 8 years or so can easily run Maschine with near-zero latency. Also don't get what you're saying about Jeremy Ellis' performance. Your point isn't at all clear.
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Maybe its just something wrong in my head/hands...but I never really liked Maschine's hardware component ...could never get the knack of using it w/ a mouse and/or looking at the computer screen. Never got on with the shortcut commands either. I love the software and use that often when working ITB. Then again, I've never been an MPC fan either, don't remember which I've played around with, but the ones I tried seemed fairly convoluted to me...

Its not always possible, but if you can give it a serious test run. Do it!

IMO the best thing I got out of buying Maschine is the Komplete discount
Old 4th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Any computer made in the last 8 years or so can easily run Maschine with near-zero latency. Also don't get what you're saying about Jeremy Ellis' performance. Your point isn't at all clear.
well I'd sure like to be able to make a claim about all computers built in the last 8 years, but I don't have experience of all of them. but there's also a role of soundcards and driver performance. to put it another way, I'd expect the better latency performance of Maschine isn't just a case of your computer being within 8 years old. I'd expect other choices such as soundcard and drivers can play a role. there's also the shifting target of cpu performance and latency compensation modes, as a composition in a DAW progresses and the CPU gets stressed. e.g. the technology is subject to more of these variables.
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah this guy just has a bone to pick with Maschine. it runs flawlessly on any computer ive seen in plugged into, with no lag.
Old 4th January 2017
Gear Guru

I just demonstrated someone in a video with it not running flawlessly. unless that's you consider flawless.
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
well I'd sure like to be able to make a claim about all computers built in the last 8 years, but I don't have experience of all of them. but there's also a role of soundcards and driver performance. to put it another way, I'd expect the better latency performance of Maschine isn't just a case of your computer being within 8 years old. I'd expect other choices such as soundcard and drivers can play a role. there's also the shifting target of cpu performance and latency compensation modes, as a composition in a DAW progresses and the CPU gets stressed. e.g. the technology is subject to more of these variables.
I experienced this first hand as the composition gets more involved I find the latency is like a moving target. Add a few more plug ins here and there and the differences starts to be noticed. Sure I can go back in and adjust rates but what a drag. Mpc 3000 is always Rock solid regardless of track count and once u have a pocket groove u don't want to mess with timing but
Old 5th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
I experienced this first hand as the composition gets more involved I find the latency is like a moving target. Add a few more plug ins here and there and the differences starts to be noticed. Sure I can go back in and adjust rates but what a drag. Mpc 3000 is always Rock solid regardless of track count and once u have a pocket groove u don't want to mess with timing but
right. and my point is, it's not something that should just be ignored. some users might not even know about any adjustments they could make. it might soon be that Maschine software goes into hardware if NI see an opportunity in that space. it's yet to be seen how well the first flush of those kinds of devices perform as you ramp the load up. I'd like everything to be always flawless as well, but I try to be a realist about it.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

When I was 15 I only had a bike, and it wasn't even a BMX.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just demonstrated someone in a video with it not running flawlessly. unless that's you consider flawless.
The guy in that video could have his buffer set too high.
Or maybe he just wanted to make a video that would get lots of plays because it's controversial. Who knows? I could post a video here of Bigfoot. That doesn't make it any more real.
Old 5th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
The guy in that video could have his buffer set too high.
Or maybe he just wanted to make a video that would get lots of plays because it's controversial. Who knows? I could post a video here of Bigfoot. That doesn't make it any more real.
possibly. but even if that edge case theory was right, it demonstrates it's possible to under perform.

I'm not sure the Bigfoot baseline would pan out though. I mean If potential for posting fake videos is a baseline, then maybe Jeremy Ellis was just some kind of Japanese impostor marketing stunt Robot.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't want to appropriate anybody's culture
Ok,in that case I would advise trading your MPC for a harpsichord,rather than Maschine,and to avoid listening to anything other than pre-Romantic era western classical music..just for starters.

good luck.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

I have a 3000 here and i'd like to try machine out. The reason your beats are funky on the mpc is because you use pads to program drums vs xox sequencing which imho will give you better results within 120-128 bpm. Qualified drummers will get amazing results on both lol.

On machine you will also be able to use more sounds like vsts and so it will be way more immediate and gratifying. The 3000 will also get you there but i think you can get to appreciate it after you use more sequencers, samplers and drum machines for its sequencer and feel. You need to sample in it and put some synths next to it.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

If xox is the thing (for 4x4) than his best bet could be maschine jam.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm not a troll, I'm a 15 year old kid who wants to make techno beats. You guys are making this feel weird.
Wait a minute. How does a 15 year old get hands on a MPC3000?!?!?!
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFM View Post
I have a 3000 here and i'd like to try machine out. The reason your beats are funky on the mpc is because you use pads to program drums vs xox sequencing which imho will give you better results within 120-128 bpm. Qualified drummers will get amazing results on both lol.

On machine you will also be able to use more sounds like vsts and so it will be way more immediate and gratifying. The 3000 will also get you there but i think you can get to appreciate it after you use more sequencers, samplers and drum machines for its sequencer and feel. You need to sample in it and put some synths next to it.
Using the step sequencer on the mpc 3000 will also help if you are looking for a different approach to creating beats verse playing them in on the fly with the pads.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
Using the step sequencer on the mpc 3000 will also help if you are looking for a different approach to creating beats verse playing them in on the fly with the pads.
yeah it will and i really like using this feature of any mpc but nowhere near as fast and immediate as xox. not saying one is better than the other. the big thing on the mpc 3k is that you can have long sequences and take the time to go into step sequencing and delete or add events or just loop parts of that sequence and record on top. its a nice instrument.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

If op is really 15 it maybe its hard for him to appreciate a classic like the 3000 because he probably doesn't have much experience.
I made plenty of mistakes when I was young mistakes that I still regret
Old 5th January 2017
Gear Addict

I got the MPC3000 from a neighbor. I mow her lawn and she gave me some of her husband's old music stuff(he died of cancer).

I turned on the quantize last night and holy crap, but beats aren't jiggly any more. You guys are AWESOME!

I've been sampling YouTube from my phone and it sounds really cool now. Very very techno.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I got the MPC3000 from a neighbor. I mow her lawn and she gave me some of her husband's old music stuff(he died of cancer).

I turned on the quantize last night and holy crap, but beats aren't jiggly any more. You guys are AWESOME!

I've been sampling YouTube from my phone and it sounds really cool now. Very very techno.
Congratulations u will soon understand how good the mpc 3000
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I mow her lawn and she gave me some of her husband's old music stuff
Wow you scored! MPC 3000 can go for $1,000.00 +
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Guru

even I'd mow someones lawn for a 3000. even if it turned out to be a euphemism.
Old 6th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Wow you scored! MPC 3000 can go for $1,000.00 +
Just checked and surprised these have dropped in value. I sold my 3000 around 1999 for about $2700. See them now for $1500 or so.

This is unlike my Minimoog D which I sold for about $1500 and now is worth 4x that or more.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search