The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
E-mu Emulator II still relevant today? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

If only someone would update the CPU and midi spec of the DPX1 to allow full access to the parameters.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Relevant to who? To me? No. I'm fine
with using software like TAL Sampler for purposes of sampler nostalgia.
What's "sampler nostaliga?
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Side note: anyone know of a replacement 3.5* floppy drive for the DPX1 ? It's an odd one with switches on the side of it, some times I need to reboot it to read my disks

Last edited by Circuitt; 13th January 2017 at 01:06 AM..
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords View Post
Are you sure? I've always heard it wasn't even close. Have you tried a DPX?
Of course. I also own the dpx. I once did a side by side comparison using the same disk / preset. There was no difference.

Concerning broken eII keys: kawai's k1 synth uses the same keys. This has been confirmed on the eIII emulator forum (greatest place for all vintage e-mu users). I haven't swapped out any keys in person though.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel99 View Post
If only someone would update the CPU and midi spec of the DPX1 to allow full access to the parameters.
I don't think this is possible by any means.
Old 15th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmbeatz View Post
Of course. I also own the dpx. I once did a side by side comparison using the same disk / preset. There was no difference.

Concerning broken eII keys: kawai's k1 synth uses the same keys. This has been confirmed on the eIII emulator forum (greatest place for all vintage e-mu users). I haven't swapped out any keys in person though.
I wound up buying Akai AX-73 keys and prying the weight off the old EII key to glue it onto the new keys.
Old 15th January 2017
Quote:

how would it fare vs. emax rev. i? are these well built?
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Addict

The Ell is great, but not gonna pay 2000€. Perfectly happy with my Emax HD
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I had two E2's at one point in the late 80's. I bought a DPX thinking that it would be a great way to simply play presets that I had built on the E2. Keep in mind, that an E2 can develop issues and require you to take it to a tech, so this was in part a scheme to lower maintenance liability with iffy E2's. Back in the day that was an expensive proposition. Try finding a seasoned E2 tech today... I digress.

So.... long story short.... The DPX sounds like crap compared to an E2.. Not even close. The magic is gone when you play an E2 disk in a DPX1. How do I know this.....See above. I still have an E2 here. It has a factory installed HD (not so common at that time). I rarely turn it on. Not beause I don't love it, but because I worry about it dying. I have sampled all of my library into my Ultra, but al of those sounds are better coming directly from the E2.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
So.... long story short.... The DPX sounds like crap compared to an E2.. Not even close.
This is not my experience. I should record a comparison with some presets to share with y'all and maybe to get clarity about this. I'm pretty keen on doing that right now, but also pretty busy ... really hope i find the time.

Greetz, elm.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles chocula View Post
how would it fare vs. emax rev. i? are these well built?
Both are very similar.
To sum it up: Emax has a nicer OS with some updates in functionality. And it's technically (much?) more reliable.
EII definitely has a 'richer' tone, and to some degree a 'silkier' feel to it (can I even say that?!...).

IF you're not the collector type of guy, or you don't need the EII eye candy, or the cult thing etc... , you can grab an emax. It will give you that E-Mu sound.

EDIT: One other thing on the pro side of the EII that might be of interest...:

The EII library (Factory, Northstar / OMI, Burmer, FMS, +++...) is MONSTROUS, both in terms of quantity AND quality. You may try to convert all those banks (more than 1500) from EII to Emax, but you'll have to make compromises. So, if you want to access those libraries (w/o going the software emulation route) you would choose EII over Emax.

Last edited by Elmbeatz; 16th January 2017 at 03:30 PM..
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear
The EII is one of the best looking keyboards ever released. I remember seeing the Pet Shop Boys with theirs on TOTP and salivating over its coolness. I'd never pay for one now but I'd take a dead one just so that I could stare at it.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Clef View Post
The EII is one of the best looking keyboards ever released. I remember seeing the Pet Shop Boys with theirs on TOTP and salivating over its coolness. I'd never pay for one now but I'd take a dead one just so that I could stare at it.
Yes, that's true. It's an industrial design masterpiece (iirc by Ken Provost, who also designed the old 'cube' macs ?). I grabbed two EII's years ago when prices were dead low, as well as a empty EII housing for nearly nothing. Still got that, always wanted to fit a masterkeyboard in it or something...
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is not my experience. I should record a comparison with some presets to share with y'all and maybe to get clarity about this. I'm pretty keen on doing that right now, but also pretty busy ... really hope i find the time.

Greetz, elm.
I probably shouldn't be so harsh with my condemnation of the DPX1. Possibly I had an early model or it was defective. But I clearly remember being so stoked waiting for it to arrive and then being so disappointed after playing my E2 disks on it. The sonics were just not there, and I was able to A/B the sounds on the spot since I had the real deal. It must be the converters or the op amps. There was a veil over the sound that was undeniable. The depth was absent.

However, one of the appealing things about the DPX is that you could also play early Akai diskettes on it. I wasn't an Akai person, but I knew lots of people that had S900's and having some copies of other peoples samples would have been very cool for playback. Probably not a problem for live use, but in a studio environment where you can listen much more critically, the difference between the E2 and the DPX1 is very apparent.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
The EII library (Factory, Northstar / OMI, Burmer, FMS, +++...) is MONSTROUS, both in terms of quantity AND quality. You may try to convert all those banks (more than 1500) from EII to Emax, but you'll have to make compromises. So, if you want to access those libraries (w/o going the software emulation route) you would choose EII over Emax.
But these librarys also exits for the Emax, or some of them at least. I have the factory and Northstar/OMI. They are great. Never heard about Burmer, FMS

What are the compromises when converting them, you know that?
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Difool View Post

What are the compromises when converting them, you know that?
There's a lot going on during bank conversion between these samplers. If you take a look in the emxp - manual on page 283 (emxp = brilliant software by e-synthesist, which made the conversion possible at all), you'll find a long list of conversion constraints. Most of these are caused by the different filters (ssm 2047 / 2044 ?), but also other things (sampler architecture). As a rough value, e-synthesist states an approximation of 85%.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Addict

OK, thanks. I use EMXP yes
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Addict

I'm very greatful for ESynthesist's work with his EMXP. I just wish it included SP-1200 support, and I'm not alone.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
I had two E2's at one point in the late 80's. I bought a DPX thinking that it would be a great way to simply play presets that I had built on the E2. Keep in mind, that an E2 can develop issues and require you to take it to a tech, so this was in part a scheme to lower maintenance liability with iffy E2's. Back in the day that was an expensive proposition. Try finding a seasoned E2 tech today... I digress.

So.... long story short.... The DPX sounds like crap compared to an E2.. Not even close. The magic is gone when you play an E2 disk in a DPX1. How do I know this.....See above. I still have an E2 here. It has a factory installed HD (not so common at that time). I rarely turn it on. Not beause I don't love it, but because I worry about it dying. I have sampled all of my library into my Ultra, but al of those sounds are better coming directly from the E2.
Hi dude, hope life is treating you well, haven't spoken in ages.

EII is definitely on my to buy list, they look like a lot of fun and the size of it is super impressive!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search