The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 20th December 2016
Deleted User 
Roland TR-08

discuss.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland TR-08-tr08.jpg  
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Nice to see it has fills! I don't think the TR-8 did.
Old 20th December 2016
Gear Guru

This is of course a mockup, but the layout works better than that of the 09. I believe they would get something different for the tempo dial, though.
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Nice enough edit. I'm expecting Roland to make an 808 Boutique, it would be well received, but they'll have to tweak the interface a bit.
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Great post Decoder sign me up lol

Seriously though, this would sell like hot cakes. A few good tweaks and it could be excellent. The main issue might be the smaller format as the 09 looks too small perhaps for my fat hands. Never used one in anger so what do I know

Interestingly my GAS is now taking me ITB re classic Roland emulators such as the Abl3 and on the look out for a 808 now
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

I'd be willing to be dollars to donuts that Roland will release an 808 in the boutique form factor. Makes sense... The 909 was smart to release first, as the TR-8 was marketed as mainly a modern 808 (although it obviously had 909 and more).... but this would be very popular, and get people onboard with the workflow on it... It would be hard to make it with the tactile feel of the OG obviously, and it probably would eschew as many outputs for cost reasons unfortunately .... but I imagine we will see it down the pipeline hopefully soon!
Old 20th December 2016
Deleted User 
i would rather have a boutique SH-101 than a TR-08.
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Module or mini keys?
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
me too! (like both!)
Old 20th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
I thought you said the 101 wasn't a very interesting synth that's why you bought an sold a few of them over the years..?
Old 20th December 2016
Deleted User 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I thought you said the 101 wasn't a very interesting synth that's why you bought an sold a few of them over the years..?
and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish1999 View Post
Module or mini keys?
module
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
and...

module
Mini keys would give us something to moan about though
Old 20th December 2016
Deleted User 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish1999 View Post
Mini keys would give us something to moan about though
no matter what Roland puts out everyone moans anyway!
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
no matter what Roland puts out everyone moans anyway!
yup, seems every release is polarizing... but i like them!

you've really got me wanting an sh101 boutique now.... if they could clear out some of the real estate with the ribbons gone and have the faders/knobs a little bigger.... (don't find myself using those that much...)...
Old 21st December 2016
Deleted User 
Quote:
I'd be in for a boutique 202 with "original mode" sequencer.. since the "og mode" sequencer of the tb03 already confuses people, I don't wanna know what would happen with this one :D
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Roland would be nuts not to make the TR-08 to match the others

These are bit pricey here in OZ, around $600. Makes you think twice about them, but I probably will end up with all three of the rebirth set.
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Addict

it even come with vintage color start/stop and tap buttons ! (original color for those is red..)
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder23 View Post
I'd be in for a boutique 202 with "original mode" sequencer.. since the "og mode" sequencer of the tb03 already confuses people, I don't wanna know what would happen with this one :D
ha, no kidding.... i had a 202.... frustrating beast.... but nice sound engine.... (pretty much the 101 w/o noise if i remember correctly...but i'm faded...)
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

What's to discuss?! It's a given IMO.
To be released on 0808 clearly, along with the SH-01.
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
What's to discuss?! It's a given IMO.
To be released on 0808 clearly, along with the SH-01.
Although they already have the SH01 so not sure what they'd do.
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

a boutique 202 that has original sequencer mode, but, you can store 128 or more sequences rather than the 1 on og
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Please make the knobs smaller as they are way too large for my elf hands
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Addict

Just give me a boutique Space Echo.
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear
You'd need tweezers to handle those variation switches
Old 21st December 2016
Deleted User 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
ha, no kidding.... i had a 202.... frustrating beast.... but nice sound engine.... (pretty much the 101 w/o noise if i remember correctly...but i'm faded...)
actually it's pretty straight forward just using notes of the same measure, e.g. just 16th, but as soon as you start to mix them it can get chaotic pretty fast :D

yeah, sound engine is the same, it just less lfo waveforms but has lfo delay and no noise, that's it pretty much.
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
Although they already have the SH01 so not sure what they'd do.
true true, but they already had a 106 and Jup08 in boutique form, and folded into the the System 8.... Had the 909 (pretty much) in the TR-8... little specifics aside (not going down that rabbit hole!).....I can see a hardware SH101 being popular, and not killing their system1 sales that much... but what do I know?
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder23 View Post
actually it's pretty straight forward just using notes of the same measure, e.g. just 16th, but as soon as you start to mix them it can get chaotic pretty fast :D

yeah, sound engine is the same, it just less lfo waveforms but has lfo delay and no noise, that's it pretty much.
True true, when I first had it (awhile ago!!!), I didn't have the luxury of a manual, and it was pre "everything available on the internet" days... (early 90's etc)...

I can't remember, was there anything the sound engine did BETTER then the sh101? I remember the din port was for sync or whatnot, and not 5pin din midi... I liked it, but would basically just end up sampling some random stuff (I guess, again, close to how most use the 303)... I do remember liking the created sound better myself then the 303 (subjectively, as I am not a squelchy type guy or was at the time).... but it has clearly been awhile!
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobio View Post
Just give me a boutique Space Echo.
(sorry for so many posts in a row in same thread! just hit respond to all in new tab)..

I am absolutely for a boutique space echo... I hope we get to see some of the more interesting Roland FX boxes being recreated in ACB.... this, dimension d(probably TOO niche), older Acetone drum machines etc.... but I do hope they are starting to work closely with BOSS on this..
Old 21st December 2016
After making a freaking movie about the TR-808, you would think a company would make a run of new TR-808's to cash in on. But no, Roland won't bring back the classic TR-808's. Instead they will have ACB miniature TR-808's. It's all good though for those that want them.
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
After making a freaking movie about the TR-808, you would think a company would make a run of new TR-808's to cash in on. But no, Roland won't bring back the classic TR-808's. Instead they will have ACB miniature TR-808's. It's all good though for those that want them.
Having SEEN the movie myself..., at the end they actually explain in detail why that CAN'T make the TR-808 anymore. One of the chips essential to it's sound, was bought en masse by it's creator, as it was considered "flawed" product, and had a technical glitch and issue... but created a very large part of the sonic magic of the machine.

So even at the time, they couldn't continue the production of the unit. It simply is not economically feasible to do so at this time as well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search