The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 9th August 2017
I'm gonna try to say what I want to say and then be quiet.

Ha ha ha - yeah right.

So far the demos don't really sound like the real thing but that's OK. It still sounds really cool and for this price it's awesome.

In my head I'm calling this this device - the 808U.

U for updated, it has midi it has rapid fire 32 and 64 notes. U for useful - it's small you can integrate with modern software based systems. You can take it on tour you can spill a drink on it.

So what I'm trying to say is it's not a TR808, it's a useful 808. 808U. It can do most everything that the original can, and a bunch of stuff that it couldn't ... but it is not the original and it doesn't actually sound 100% the same. Which is OK, it's not the same instrument. Which is fine.

In the demo the guy says how it's just like the orig and then plays swing note-repeat hats the the OG can never do (video below) and that's where the frustration comes in - when you are told it's the same and your senses know different right away. Egyptian Lover demo is an example of this too.

So ... If you just move that aside and accept it as a new instrument - the 808U - a the portable and useful mini 808 - it's a really cool new toy, I want one!

If I bring an original 808 into the studio plug it into a board though - it's a whole different sound world. Which is OK, it's not the same instrument.

proftea

Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

They might as well have made the kick tunable....
Old 9th August 2017
Gear Maniac
They should have made all the drums tunable. Just my opinion.
Old 9th August 2017
Deleted User 
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
They might as well have made the kick tunable....
it's something you could maybe put forward to a roland rep or roland support for a future update. but no doubt roland will most likely add little updates to these new boutiques, they did with the previous ones.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songtalk View Post
They should have made all the drums tunable. Just my opinion.
Wait! ACB supposedly models real analog signal flow. That would require a lot of additional components to the virtual circuit board!
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Not for me.
I have a TR8.
Which is a good enough drum machine and fine for doing 808/909 type sounds and much more for my purposes.
You could argue that the TR8 as bang for buck is more interesting than the boutiques and offers more drum flavours. Comp and tune on Bdrum/snare and 707/606 etc.
Think these are marketed as cheap enough to buy if curious, or for younger generation. Im thinking of getting one for my 8 year old neice.(seriously) and i think she would love it... not because of its 808 accuracy, but because its a small cool thing she can mess about with alongside her guitar and use with her laptop.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Finally got the chance to listen to the Egyptian Lover demo with my decent headphones on.

Yeah, it sounds very different next to the real thing. It still sounds good on it's own right, but yeah there is no doubting the real one there, especially in the clap.

NOTHING prepared me for the length of the 808s clap when I first bought it - it's a huge thing! I stick a gate on it most of the time to calm it down a bit
Old 9th August 2017
Deleted User 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
I think we oldtimers have a softspot for the Dr Rhythm, but in truth it sounded awful. Wouldn't you rather have a CR-78?
The DR-55 is terrible to work with, but the sounds, especially the kick is so sweet, deep and rich, it says 'analog' every time it trigger. When I recently worked with DR-55 samples (on one of my new ambient songs, will be released in some few weeks on an album) I felt in love with the DR-55 again.

CR-78 is sweet as well and I wold love to see a such Boutique as well.

But most of all, I'm very glad that the 808 will be released, a dream come true to me.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Make a DR55 clone, PCBs are ten quid! https://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/forsale/CB55/CB55.html
Old 9th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
I think we oldtimers have a softspot for the Dr Rhythm, but in truth it sounded awful. Wouldn't you rather have a CR-78?
How does the TT78 stack up to the original?

Similar price to the boutiques and with individual outs
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
it's something you could maybe put forward to a roland rep or roland support for a future update. but no doubt roland will most likely add little updates to these new boutiques, they did with the previous ones.
It's possible the drums may already be tunable (including the kick) just like the ones on the TR8, but as hidden menu options like on the TR09.

I also own the TR8 and the real thing. The TR8 does not sound exactly 100% like the real thing but that's OK. Since I knew the TR08 would probably be based on ACB technology just like the TR09 if released, and it turns out it actually is, I didn't expect the TR08 to sound exactly like the real 808 either.

Honestly, I feel the TR08 is a nice (cute?) little machine for someone who either doesn't already own a TR8 or want more sequencer options. As far as the actual sound goes based on the demos I've watched listening with good headphones, I have yet to notice any vast improvement in the 808 emulation on the TR08 compared to the 808 emulation on my TR8. If there is any improvement at all, it's extremely marginal. I think the main attraction of the TR08 would be the asthetics, compact size,, the interface, and the sequencer. It'll definitely make a nice gigging tool for a DJ/producer as well as a nice tool for studio use.. I doubt I'll be buying one though.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Can someone splain to me why I would rather get this TR08 instead of the Aira TR8 besides that this is less expensive?
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
Uhm, yeah... wow. TR-08 sounds so thin in comparison. Sounds more like Novation DrumStation. (IMO, of course)

That kick is lame!
You have a right to your own opinon of course, and I respect that.

However, I feel the kick on the Novation Drumstation is not lame . I used to own a Drumstation and that's one piece of gear I regret selling and would buy back BECAUSE of it's 808 kick (sold it for financial reasons). Tip: Listen to the Drumstation's 808 kick on GOOD subwoofers, (like in a car) and you might start to think differently (about it being lame that is). This is coming from someone who pretty much owns everything 808 or 808 related, including the famous R8m with the Electronic.card, Boss Dr. 660, the real deal 808, the TR8, and tons of 808 samples inside of an MPC.

Last edited by kvmoore; 9th August 2017 at 11:19 PM..
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
Can someone splain to me why I would rather get this TR08 instead of the Aira TR8 besides that this is less expensive?
The TR08 has the full-blown 808 sequencer with the same controls, look, and feel of the original. The sequencer on the TR8 is limited in comparison.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
Smaller, less bright lights, less green, the neat little kickstand/dock, runs on batteries, dedicated controls, more fun than looking through sample libraries. The sounds are a just a little flat on the 09 at least, but it's perfect for adding FX from plugins and digital EQ. Has the old-style sequencer.

Don't have a TR-8, and used the TR-09 for just a few days (financial miscalculation), so not 100% sure about the pros and cons between the 8 and 08, but it translates into a digital recording with serious ease. It also has an audio input, so you can take this and something like a Monologue or Bass Station II with your laptop and produce with just those 3 things. I imagine the TR-8 works kind of the same though, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. But I want one, along with the 09...
Old 9th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
The sound needs improvement
I don't understand, Roland has access to it's own machines since day one, they should be releasing these things spot on all the time..? ACB seems to be a bit hit or miss or something, the modeling seems to miss a lot of key elements, the accent on the 03, the boom of the 808 kick, the snappy spit of the snare, all these things are what the originals are famous for, how can they get it so wrong so often..?
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

you talk as if ACB is real
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I don't understand, Roland has access to it's own machines since day one, they should be releasing these things spot on all the time..? ACB seems to be a bit hit or miss or something, the modeling seems to miss a lot of key elements, the accent on the 03, the boom of the 808 kick, the snappy spit of the snare, all these things are what the originals are famous for, how can they get it so wrong so often..?
If somebody has years or decades of experience with an 808 and a few hours with the 08 (or 09) without exploring all of the hidden parameters in the menus like the gain, tuning, decay, compressor, et cetera, plus how much easier it is to add digital EQ/plugins over USB versus physical separate outputs that require a ton of extra audio channels and outboard FX, not to mention the added setup time and wires if you plan on taking it anywhere except the studio plugged into all your outboard equipment and patch bays.

If the sound didn't need improvement whatsoever, what's the point of separate outputs? Isn't that the definition of the sound being "improved" with all the processing and FX that separate outputs have to offer?
Old 10th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
If somebody has years or decades of experience with an 808 and a few hours with the 08 (or 09) without exploring all of the hidden parameters in the menus like the gain, tuning, decay, compressor, et cetera, plus how much easier it is to add digital EQ/plugins over USB versus physical separate outputs that require a ton of extra audio channels and outboard FX, not to mention the added setup time and wires if you plan on taking it anywhere except the studio plugged into all your outboard equipment and patch bays.

If the sound didn't need improvement whatsoever, what's the point of separate outputs? Isn't that the definition of the sound being "improved" with all the processing and FX that separate outputs have to offer?
Surely you are having a lend..?, that is not what I took what he meant when he said "the sound needs improving", if so I'd expect he should have said somethimg along the lines of external processing..
Old 10th August 2017
Gear Head

Just a note that if the tr-08 is the same as the tr-09, all drum voices are tunable through the menu. Also via midi CC. When used in conjunction with your daw this can be pretty powerful for composition.
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Surely you are having a lend..?, that is not what I took what he meant when he said "the sound needs improving", if so I'd expect he should have said somethimg along the lines of external processing..
He was going on about the TR-09 sounding oh so bad because it doesn't have the experience of separate outputs and how the VCA and envelopes make the sample sections sound so much better on the original 909 without any mention of the controls in the 09's menu that model the behavior of those elements from the original 909. It was bothering me... I'd rather not have to add a noise gate and on every channel just for the 3% better analog experience.

I've always thought the 808 booms were a result of pitch-shifting samples... I'm under the impression that these drum boutiques are supposed to be a bit dry so you can put as many plugins and EQ as you could need.

Anyway, one day I'll get enough cash to get both the 09 and 08 and prove him otherwise! One day...
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
Anyway, one day I'll get enough cash to get both the 09 and 08 and prove him otherwise! One day...
You won't regret. The 09 is so much fun and sounds great. It made me pick up the 03 and ditto on that. I'm definitely getting the 08.
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

I prefer if a device that has a better sound directly from the source. At this point both an 808 or a sampler deliver better results sound-wise than the 08.

Last edited by Eigenwert; 10th August 2017 at 05:00 AM..
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
You have a right to your own opinon of course, and I respect that.

However, I feel the kick on the Novation Drumstation is not lame .
Sorry, I meant that the kick in TR-08 sounds lame, in comparison to the original.

I own DS as well. Haven't used the 808-side much, though.
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
I prefer if a device that has a better sound directly from the source. At this point both an 808 or a sampler deliver better results sound-wise than the 08.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
Sorry, I meant that the kick in TR-08 sounds lame, in comparison to the original.

I own DS as well. Haven't used the 808-side much, though.

Based off of online demos or personal use?
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Based off of online demos or personal use?
This part of the discussion was about the Egyptian Lover video where he did AB testing against the real 808.
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

It's not for me, but Roland will probably flog a lot of these.
Old 10th August 2017
Gear Nut

I'm curious to know how different (if at all?) this new ACB chip really is when compared to the TR8? I haven't had a chance to hear a TR09 up close, but have read people saying it's superior. Is that really the case?
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Haven't listened to Egyptian Lover vid yet, but I could hear a difference in the TR-08 kick from the Roland promo video. I don't think it sounds bad, but it is different than my 808. TR-08 kick sounds like it is a processed/compressed 808 kick . I think it sounds cool.
Since it does have a built in DSP Compressor, and if it's like the TR-09, it's only on the the Kick and Snare, so there are plenty of shaping parameters for those and the other sounds, like the "Gain" by default is at 100/255 for all of the sounds on the 09. So it might sound a bit off and slightly processed just because it is slightly processed with the default settings.

I can't hear anything definite from the Egyptian video regardless. The TR-09 is a major improvement over the 909 samples from the JD-Xi as far as authenticity and the precision of just the onboard control parameters. It's not like any records featuring an 808/909 aren't manipulated and processed anyway...

Last edited by Discopotato; 11th August 2017 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Compressor is off by default...
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Someone with an original 808 needs to buy the 08 and do a comparison because I don't have confidence in Egyptian Lover's comparison being a proper one. His demo sounds messed up. Actually sounded really far off, so far that it can't be a 1 to 1 comparison. I suspect he had levels and fine adjusts out of whack. So I'm going to wait to for better videos.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search