The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 9th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by geremy View Post
I love that guy. He's my new favorite demo person.
He is the perfect guy to do it.

Have you seen this? It is worth your time ...

proftea
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
Levels of the individual sounds are quite different, especially the kick, on the real TR-808 is much louder which will always sound better.
Yeah, he didn't volume match the kicks, so it's a poor comparison video.

Egypt, Egypt.

From the other videos I've heard, the kick has plenty of guts.
Old 9th August 2017
Gear Guru

excuse my ignorance on these boutiques but can they be USB bus powered from a laptop and can the audio be USB to so it acts like an interface or no..?
Old 9th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticbuster View Post
Hadn't seen this posted yet...an A/B comparison starts around the 3:35 mark...

wow there's so much more weight in the original...I don't see how anyone could possibly say it sounds the same..??
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
excuse my ignorance on these boutiques but can they be USB bus powered from a laptop and can the audio be USB to so it acts like an interface or no..?
In the words of Meg Ryan, yes, yes, yes, yessssssss.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
wow there's so much more weight in the original...I don't see how anyone could possibly say it sounds the same..??
Uhm, yeah... wow. TR-08 sounds so thin in comparison. Sounds more like Novation DrumStation. (IMO, of course)

That kick is lame!
Old 9th August 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout View Post
t

Yeah, there's a bunch of skewing of facts in Roland's marketing.

First of all the original 808 and 909 were commercial flops. The made their mark and found an audience initially because they were cheap on the second-hand market. Roland moved to sample-based more realistic sounding drum machines as soon as they could and barely looked back until those old machines became over-priced collectors items 10-15 years after being discontinued.

The modern 808 usage and sound has always been based on samples. Early southern hip-hop, which is the basis for how most genres use the 808 nowadays (except house or electro) almost always used 808 sounds in a sampling drum machine like SP1200 or MPC. The original TR-808 couldn't change the pitch of the sounds, super-fast 64th drum rolls weren't possible (you had crank the tempo to double and program it in half-time just to do 32nd rolls), there was also no swing either...you could only change the time-signature just to get a static shuffle. Of course there was no midi without a rare 3rd party mod and sync required an additional sync box or another drum machine daisy-chained. Most of the 808 sounds you hear on any pop music or hip-hop post-1986 are sample based.

The TR-808 was the first drum machine I ever programmed (mid-80s... I was 13 or 14 at the time), so I guess I'm the target demographic for the TR-08. I feel like Roland is playing on my sense of nostalgia and pulling on my heart strings, but I still realize that the boutique series are mostly just non-essential toys. There are cheaper, better, quicker, and more effective ways to get these sounds into a song really.

Good post! That's kind of exactly what I mean: essentially the iconic 808 sound we all know is actually an SP1200/MPC with 808 samples...

I still sort of want this but as you say, it's my sense of nostalgia being plucked like a cheap guitar...
Old 9th August 2017
Deleted User 
Quote:
USB power - yes
USB audio - yes, 10 channels

Have two other Boutiques (TR-09 and TB-03) and they appear as different interfaces in Logic and Pro Tools to me. Made an aggregated audio driver so that they work in the same audio device as my sound card (Antelope Orion) so that I can have multiple outputs straight to the DAW or mixer console
Old 9th August 2017
Deleted User 
Tr-08 pre booked
Old 9th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout View Post
Yeah, there's a bunch of skewing of facts in Roland's marketing.

First of all the original 808 and 909 were commercial flops. The made their mark and found an audience initially because they were cheap on the second-hand market. Roland moved to sample-based more realistic sounding drum machines as soon as they could and barely looked back until those old machines became over-priced collectors items 10-15 years after being discontinued.
That is rewriting history, a common problem on the internet. The TB-303 was certainly a flop. Some people have somehow confused the facts and come to believe that the same applies to many other xox products but it simply is not true. I was there, I was a Roland sales rep at the time.

The notable musical influence of the TR-909 did come in a second hand market some years later. But that was not true for the TR-808. It always had a strong impact on musical styles. There was always a musical movement that loved the TR-808 and it always had a strong following. I remember talking about the TR-808's cult status in "R&B" by the mid 80s, just a couple of years after it was discontinued.
Old 9th August 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
USB power - yes
USB audio - yes, 10 channels

Have two other Boutiques (TR-09 and TB-03) and they appear as different interfaces in Logic and Pro Tools to me. Made an aggregated audio driver so that they work in the same audio device as my sound card (Antelope Orion) so that I can have multiple outputs straight to the DAW or mixer console
Would you mind sharing how one does this (make an aggregated audio driver)?

I put in a pre-order for the TR-08 yesterday thinking that the USB outs would be perfect to just slot into Reason, stupidly without thinking about any incompatibility problems. If there's a solution it would be great to know what it is.

Win 10 / audio device Behringer FCA1616, if that's relevant at all.

Thanks.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear
All that was missing was a knowing wink to camera as Egypt located that miniscule start button and that weedy spluttering shrill fizz spat out
Old 9th August 2017
Deleted User 
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez21 View Post
Would you mind sharing how one does this (make an aggregated audio driver)?

I put in a pre-order for the TR-08 yesterday thinking that the USB outs would be perfect to just slot into Reason, stupidly without thinking about any incompatibility problems. If there's a solution it would be great to know what it is.

Win 10 / audio device Behringer FCA1616, if that's relevant at all.

Thanks.
This is how it works in OS X:

1. Go to 'Audio MIDI Setup'
2. Hit the plus at the lower left corner and 'Create Aggregated Device'
3. Check the different Audio devices you want to aggregate
4. In your DAW you chose 'Agregated Device' or what name you rename it to as audio interface.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

i'm not impressed by that egyptian lover video, its a bit cheap, like he's on a shopping channel . i know its good exposure for him so i don't blame him for doing it.
the cowbell pitch sounds very different , i expect a lot of comparison videos in the coming months.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynMike View Post
That is rewriting history, a common problem on the internet. The TB-303 was certainly a flop. Some people have somehow confused the facts and come to believe that the same applies to many other xox products but it simply is not true. I was there, I was a Roland sales rep at the time.

The notable musical influence of the TR-909 did come in a second hand market some years later. But that was not true for the TR-808. It always had a strong impact on musical styles. There was always a musical movement that loved the TR-808 and it always had a strong following. I remember talking about the TR-808's cult status in "R&B" by the mid 80s, just a couple of years after it was discontinued.
TR-707 was a massive hit, it was great alternative to the expensive Linn Drum and Roland really nailed the market needs with that one. As a consequence the TR-909 took a dive in popularity, being picked up later for cheap among those who could not afford a 707. This is the story I heard all the time from the Chicago house origins documentaries and such but correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

The sound needs improvement
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not just weight, it's the whole sound. The TR-08 sounds brittle and dead. And this is on a crappy Youtube vid, imagine what it's like in the room!

This is exactly what I've been trying to point out but some people just don't want to know. A System 8 sounds "more analogue, fatter etc" than a real analogue like the DeepMind? Say no to Ersatz Analogue kids, it's your hard-earned money down the drain.
Old 9th August 2017
Deleted User 
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
TR-707 was a massive hit, it was great alternative to the expensive Linn Drum and Roland really nailed the market needs with that one. As a consequence the TR-909 took a dive in popularity, being picked up later for cheap among those who could not afford a 707. This is the story I heard all the time from the Chicago house origins documentaries and such but correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct. When I owned a 909 back in the mid 1980s it was very much what you had if you couldn't afford a Linn or Oberheim. I ditched it for an S900 soon after, though I did pick up a 707 for £30 in 1995.

I liked both Rolands but even today I'd rather have a Linn or DMX.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Call me irrational but I'll reserve judgement on the sound until after I've played one in person, or at the very least until after it has been released.
Old 9th August 2017
Deleted User 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
The sound needs improvement
They've had since the TR8 birth to improve on it. The 808 seems to have been the most critiqued part of the TR8 sounds. I dare say it will not happen in the foreseeable future. That and the 303 accent is the chink in the armor of ACB.
Old 9th August 2017
Deleted User 
I wonder if/hope Roland will release more drum machines in the Boutique series. The 808 was what I pursue most. But hey, this is Gearslutz and let's be open minded; a Boss DR-55 would be great. In Boutique format it would even be larger than the original and no problem to sync without use it as master.
Old 9th August 2017
Deleted User 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
a Boss DR-55 would be great.
I think we oldtimers have a softspot for the Dr Rhythm, but in truth it sounded awful. Wouldn't you rather have a CR-78?
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
Levels of the individual sounds are quite different, especially the kick, on the real TR-808 is much louder which will always sound better.
I was wondering about that. The levels don't seem evenly matched so the 808 sounds a lot punchier than the 08. It''s pretty darn close for 3 bills and change though.
Old 9th August 2017
enc
Here for the gear

It's cool manufacturers are giving us what we want them to give us .. not just what they want to give us
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I was wondering about that. The levels don't seem evenly matched so the 808 sounds a lot punchier than the 08. It''s pretty darn close for 3 bills and change though.
As soon as the real 808 came in was like "damn that sounds ten times better" but it's hella loud compared to the 08. On its own it sounds pretty nice I think, just hope it's mostly a levels thing.
Old 9th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbom View Post
the cowbell pitch sounds very different , i expect a lot of comparison videos in the coming months.
You can tune the cowbell pitch on the TR-08 to your preference.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geremy View Post
You can tune the cowbell pitch on the TR-08 to your preference.
sure , in the video i got the impression he was trying to show how similar they were , which they were not.
i'd probably buy one if i didnt have the tr8 and lots of good 808 sample packs.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear
I'm wondering if the hidden menu settings would be able to remedy some of the complaints. The "Gain" (separate from the level knob) on the TR-09 makes a world of difference, and the pitch and decay settings that aren't on the front panel also went a long way toward improving the clap, hats, rimshot, etc.
Old 9th August 2017
Haven't listened to Egyptian Lover vid yet, but I could hear a difference in the TR-08 kick from the Roland promo video. I don't think it sounds bad, but it is different than my 808. TR-08 kick sounds like it is a processed/compressed 808 kick . I think it sounds cool.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear
So keen to rush a video out they couldn't even take a minute to match levels and tuning
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search