The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 8th August 2017
Wtf happened to the TR 8?? Why would they do this? Does the tr8 suck that bad?
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
Pre-ordered.

Where?
Old 8th August 2017
Deleted User 
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Where?
Sweetwater, Thomann etc
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limit54 View Post
Wtf happened to the TR 8?? Why would they do this? Does the tr8 suck that bad?
Na, TR-8 is great and still around, but it's an overall quite different package than the Boutiques... And it's GLORIOUSLY GREEN which is a big turn-off for some
Old 8th August 2017
Seriously, I'm crying happy tears right now.
Old 8th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Na, TR-8 is great and still around, but it's an overall quite different package than the Boutiques... And it's GLORIOUSLY GREEN which is a big turn-off for some
I still don't get the logic? Does the tr 08 sound better than the tr8? Then that kind of makes the tr8 a novation Drumstation.

I don't know, it's like saying hey we made a product that emulates the 808 but it's not that good so we made another one...but the tr8 does 909 and 707 so u should still buy that to!

I'm lost?
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

i doubt i'll order one until the 2nd hand prices come down a little , but substeps is a nice addition , not sure theyre on tr09
a usb multi out adapter would be nice for the boutique range , the mx-1 isnt the sort of thing i want but multi audio out without computer would be nice.
panning hard left/right is a bit rubbish too
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbom View Post
substeps is a nice addition , not sure theyre on tr09
They are
Old 8th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
Individual outs via USB with a proprietary driver and not class compliant just killed it for me. I want to buy things for decades to come, this is not it.
Individual outs via USB is a total sham rip-off if your DAW uses ASIO drivers -- in which case you have to disable your main DAW's audio driver to make it work at all, which is a total buzz kill. I've done a work-around though soloing drum sounds and recording them individually via the regular audio output. A pain in the ass but it's the only way to go.

Last edited by Elsongs; 9th August 2017 at 07:00 AM..
Old 8th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
i'm beginning to suspect that next 3 boutiques from Roland could possibly be

TR-06
TR-07
TR-27
CR-78A!

Dunno what would be the appeal of making a Boutique 707/727 since they're already digital machines...
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
CR-78A!

Dunno what would be the appeal of making a Boutique 707/727 since they're already digital machines...
DCB will be next.
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear
The bass drum sounds quite distorted in all the clips so far. It sounds like an over driven 808.
Old 8th August 2017
Gear Nut

TR-8 is still the business. I won't be jumping to purchase this new boutique. Also the new Aira sampler, the SP-404A, will work together with the TR-8 so you can use it to trigger/sequence samples through the SP-404A.
Old 9th August 2017
Gear Nut

Much as I sort of irrelevantly want one of these, I'm struggling to even kid myself that I've got a use for it beyond saying I have one and pissing about with it a bit.

Can someone explain what this has over the myriad sample libraries of the 808 that are out there? I know, I know, 808 was analogue and each hit sounded subtly different blah blah but the 08 is digital too, right?

Let's say I load an 808 into my MPC or Electribe at a sort of 12 o clock setting on all the drums - I've got pretty much all the same real time controls and whilst it will sound a *bit* different, will it be different enough that I'll drop out my current workflow to plug one of these in? I'm not sure...

I sort of like the idea of having a few Boutique units on the coffee table as a sort of grown up's trainset but come on, that will end up being a couple of thousand quid, just to mess about after the pub...

Am I missing something??
Old 9th August 2017
Here for the gear

I like that this thread is so old, but it's relevant as the TR-08 is just coming out.
Old 9th August 2017
Gear Guru

even though I hate the whole boutique theme, I like the 808 enough to be interested, hooking one up to a SE02 would make for some really nice jam sessions I'd imagine..
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disastrous View Post

Can someone explain what this has over the myriad sample libraries of the 808 that are out there?
For me it's 2 things.

1. Programming on the actual unit (especially step programming) *always* leads to stuff I'd never come up with using other methods.

2. I often like to jam with a bunch of standalone hardware and no computer. I find it enjoyable, and again, come up with different stuff than if I was doing one track at a time in a DAW. It's just way more fun for me.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanoshores View Post
TR-8 is still the business. I won't be jumping to purchase this new boutique. Also the new Aira sampler, the SP-404A, will work together with the TR-8 so you can use it to trigger/sequence samples through the SP-404A.
Agree. You will spend much more buying boutique 808, 909, 606, 7x7 than a TR-8.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
why couldn't the JU-06 be a six voice poly? i wonder if it's a function of the DA and it's USB hooks and less that of the DSP.
Supposedly the VP-03 is 6 voice polyphony, though..
Old 9th August 2017
Quote:
Much as I sort of irrelevantly want one of these, I'm struggling to even kid myself that I've got a use for it beyond saying I have one and pissing about with it a bit.
I got a TB-03 at a good price, not because I've ever had designs on making acid, but because it's stupid fun.

Quote:
Can someone explain what this has over the myriad sample libraries of the 808 that are out there? I know, I know, 808 was analogue and each hit sounded subtly different blah blah but the 08 is digital too, right?
While it's digital, the sounds are synthesized. What's the difference between synth drums and samples? Listen for yourself. Is it enough of a difference? That's up to you, too. I like the subtle differences.

Quote:
I sort of like the idea of having a few Boutique units on the coffee table as a sort of grown up's trainset but come on, that will end up being a couple of thousand quid, just to mess about after the pub...

Am I missing something??
I paid close to $400 for a TR-606. It didn't have MIDI, the sounds weren't adjustable (without a soldering iron), but even though I've got a Tempest, the 606 winds up on stuff I record all the time - mostly because I got a Quicksilver CPU upgrade for it, for another $200, IIRC. Now it has MIDI, USB, and more memory - although I can't run it off batteries anymore.

For $349... I don't know man, I'm thinking real hard about selling that Quicksilver 606 (hell, and my Boss DR-110). Yes, I can't voltage starve a TR-08, and I can't solder in new knobs - which is okay, my Tempest has "weird analog percussion" more than covered. But there's a lot more I can do on a TR-08 that I can't do on a 606, and they actually take up about the same amount of space.
Old 9th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Pre ordered! Excited
Old 9th August 2017
Hadn't seen this posted yet...an A/B comparison starts around the 3:35 mark...

Old 9th August 2017
Gear Head

I love that guy. He's my new favorite demo person.
Old 9th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder23 View Post
discuss.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland TR-08-618393d1482252915-roland-tr-08-tr08.jpg  
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:

Let's say I load an 808 into my MPC or Electribe at a sort of 12 o clock setting on all the drums - I've got pretty much all the same real time controls and whilst it will sound a *bit* different, will it be different enough that I'll drop out my current workflow to plug one of these in? I'm not sure...

Am I missing something??
t

Yeah, there's a bunch of skewing of facts in Roland's marketing.

First of all the original 808 and 909 were commercial flops. The made their mark and found an audience initially because they were cheap on the second-hand market. Roland moved to sample-based more realistic sounding drum machines as soon as they could and barely looked back until those old machines became over-priced collectors items 10-15 years after being discontinued.

The modern 808 usage and sound has always been based on samples. Early southern hip-hop, which is the basis for how most genres use the 808 nowadays (except house or electro) almost always used 808 sounds in a sampling drum machine like SP1200 or MPC. The original TR-808 couldn't change the pitch of the sounds, super-fast 64th drum rolls weren't possible (you had crank the tempo to double and program it in half-time just to do 32nd rolls), there was also no swing either...you could only change the time-signature just to get a static shuffle. Of course there was no midi without a rare 3rd party mod and sync required an additional sync box or another drum machine daisy-chained. Most of the 808 sounds you hear on any pop music or hip-hop post-1986 are sample based.

The TR-808 was the first drum machine I ever programmed (mid-80s... I was 13 or 14 at the time), so I guess I'm the target demographic for the TR-08. I feel like Roland is playing on my sense of nostalgia and pulling on my heart strings, but I still realize that the boutique series are mostly just non-essential toys. There are cheaper, better, quicker, and more effective ways to get these sounds into a song really.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticbuster View Post
Hadn't seen this posted yet...an A/B comparison starts around the 3:35 mark...

I prefer the real 808's sound.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

If they do sound the same in person, the output levels in that video above were not equalized ... The analog 808 sounded louder, the kicks deeper, etc.
Old 9th August 2017
Got so many round robin 808 kits on my MPC
Got the 808 card for my R8
Got the libraries that come with Maschine, Spark and even the excellent JDXI kits

Dont think Ive ever used any if them beyond jamming

But damn it just looks so cute...Ive never wanted any of the boutiques, but....
Old 9th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
I don't know if the original in this video was turned up or what, but it hit a lot harder than the Boutique. Not to muddy the waters...I have an original but also have a TR-8 and I'm wondering if this little thing would be better than the TR-8 which I take on the road and is too freaking big.
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
Levels of the individual sounds are quite different, especially the kick, on the real TR-808 is much louder which will always sound better.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search