The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 8th August 2017
  #121
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
What does that mean Jamie - that you can have one track, but it only triggers some times and not others?

i.e. unlike the real one, where if you don't want to trig you'd have to pull the cable out of the trigger?
That any track can be the trig out I expect
Old 8th August 2017
  #122
Deleted User 
Guest
if ACcent trig is there, feed straight into desk or a mono-synth and instant Egyptian Lover blippy noises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
If the TR-08 top knobs fit the real 808, I think many would be buying them just as a source of knob replacement, as you can't get the originals anymore!
you will find that you can't pull the 808 knobs off, they are all one part (shaft & pot)
Old 8th August 2017
  #123
Lives for gear
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 

Looks really great. A bit disappointed they didn't put swing in there but still very cool and very tempting.
Old 8th August 2017
  #124
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Looks really great. A bit disappointed they didn't put swing in there but still very cool and very tempting.
Can't you just add midi swing to your clock track?

I swing the original with my din-sync interface - it has swing on it. Doesn't sound right though!
Old 8th August 2017
  #125
Lives for gear
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 

It looks like it has 'shuffle' after all.
Old 8th August 2017
  #126
It has a nice sound. From the promo video, the kick sounds a little sharper than my 808, but I like it.
Old 8th August 2017
  #127
Like everyone says...looks great, in fact these two new ones are my favourite looking. Always knew there was no chance of it being analogue, no room for it anyway, but a stack of boutiques would be great fun for someone starting out
Old 8th August 2017
  #128
Lives for gear
 
autoy's Avatar
Individual outs via USB with a proprietary driver and not class compliant just killed it for me. I want to buy things for decades to come, this is not it.
Old 8th August 2017
  #129
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Well, this is the boutique I was waiting for.

Old 8th August 2017
  #130
Old 8th August 2017
  #131
Deleted User 
Guest
I cannot tell from the YouTube videos if it has a noticeable different sound compared to the tr8. I hope the hats and clap are different, those never sounded right and the snare had to much body(?) for my taste (something was slightly off imo).
Old 8th August 2017
  #132
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
what is the polyphony of the tr-0x drum machines?
Old 8th August 2017
  #133
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
what is the polyphony of the tr-0x drum machines?
SWAG
Old 8th August 2017
  #134
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
SWAG
i have no idea what this means in this context.
Old 8th August 2017
  #135
Lives for gear
 
antto's Avatar
that's a weird question for a drum synthesizer
each drum is a voice.. some are "entangled" like the hats..

what do you mean with polyphony here?
Old 8th August 2017
  #136
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by antto View Post
that's a weird question for a drum synthesizer
each drum is a voice.. some are "entangled" like the hats..

what do you mean with polyphony here?
how many voices can play at a single time. the main board/dsp is the same as the other boutiques. i think the limit for the percussion instruments is 11 voice polyphony and for synths it seems to be 4. i'm curious as to the underlaying design of these.

each new device is just a new interface with new synth software. roland can keep developing synth recreations based on this platform... what else do they have that they can exploit with this platform?
Old 8th August 2017
  #137
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
Reputations again being put ON THE LINE

Old dudes hunchbacked with tweezers and strong bifocals is the new rock'n'roll

Is the trigger the egypt-egypt spike or have they gourmet-boutiqued it into a bieber marimba?
egypt egypt.
Old 8th August 2017
  #138
Deleted User 
Guest
It's an important question. Cowbell stabs would be amazing.
Old 8th August 2017
  #139
Lives for gear
 
antto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909
how many voices can play at a single time. the main board/dsp is the same as the other boutiques. i think the limit for the percussion instruments is 11 voice polyphony and for synths it seems to be 4. i'm curious as to the underlaying design of these.
oh, i think i understand.. you're asking about the hardware capabilities of the thing
that's like asking you how much polyphony do you have on your particular computer

the answer is: this is realtime audio processing.. the thing runs at a given clock speed and has to do a given number of things, and then its left with a given number of cpu instructions it can do during an audio block
one more instruction and it'll fail to deliver the audio block in time, and you must know what that does, it causes the audio to glitch (which would be acceptable for a computer, but probably not for a standalone hardware synth)

in other words, i can't answer that question, i don't think any one of us here can
i don't think it can be answered easily, because polyphony count means number of voices, and the limit here really is about how much you can squeeze out of the CPU at any given time without causing glitches in the audio
i can assure you that the voice which synthesizes one of the Toms is much less CPU-intensive than the voice which does the hi-hats, or the hand-clap
so 10 voices of Toms vs 10 voices of hand-clap is not the same kind of cpu usage
Old 8th August 2017
  #140
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by antto View Post
oh, i think i understand.. you're asking about the hardware capabilities of the thing
that's like asking you how much polyphony do you have on your particular computer

the answer is: this is realtime audio processing.. the thing runs at a given clock speed and has to do a given number of things, and then its left with a given number of cpu instructions it can do during an audio block
one more instruction and it'll fail to deliver the audio block in time, and you must know what that does, it causes the audio to glitch (which would be acceptable for a computer, but probably not for a standalone hardware synth)

in other words, i can't answer that question, i don't think any one of us here can i don't think it can be answered easily, because polyphony count means number of voices, and the limit here really is about how much you can squeeze out of the CPU at any given time without causing glitches in the audio
i can assure you that the voice which synthesizes one of the Toms is much less CPU-intensive than the voice which does the hi-hats, or the hand-clap
so 10 voices of Toms vs 10 voices of hand-clap is not the same kind of cpu usage
the synths are all 4 voice polyphony, even the Jupiter 8 with it's split mode and 2 osc design, so that gives us a limit in terms of processing power. based on the TR-8, which is using the same engine, i think 11 voice poly is about the max for this hardware platform
Old 8th August 2017
  #141
Lives for gear
 
dirtROBOT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by antto View Post
oh, i think i understand.. you're asking about the hardware capabilities of the thing
that's like asking you how much polyphony do you have on your particular computer

the answer is: this is realtime audio processing.. the thing runs at a given clock speed and has to do a given number of things, and then its left with a given number of cpu instructions it can do during an audio block
one more instruction and it'll fail to deliver the audio block in time, and you must know what that does, it causes the audio to glitch (which would be acceptable for a computer, but probably not for a standalone hardware synth)

in other words, i can't answer that question, i don't think any one of us here can
i don't think it can be answered easily, because polyphony count means number of voices, and the limit here really is about how much you can squeeze out of the CPU at any given time without causing glitches in the audio
i can assure you that the voice which synthesizes one of the Toms is much less CPU-intensive than the voice which does the hi-hats, or the hand-clap
so 10 voices of Toms vs 10 voices of hand-clap is not the same kind of cpu usage
Or Roland may have put in a fail-safe to limit the number of voices to prevent the 'tick' from overflowing. Technically you're right, but there may be an artificial limit.
Old 8th August 2017
  #142
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
Or Roland may have put in a fail-safe to limit the number of voices to prevent the 'tick' from overflowing. Technically you're right, but there may be an artificial limit.
the JP-08 seems to be the max voice architecture that the hardware can run without issue at 4 voices. if they could push it another voice, i think they would have.
Old 8th August 2017
  #143
Lives for gear
 
antto's Avatar
of course there is an artificial limit in order to never reach a situation of glitches
that would be a big fail if it happens, wouldn't it?

blinky909: stop thinking in terms of number of voices, that's so wrong
it's like "how many programs can you run on your computer at once?"

if this was a zoo, then you're asking how many "animals" can it fit
42
Old 8th August 2017
  #144
Lives for gear
 
intuitionnyc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobio View Post
Just give me a boutique Space Echo.
With analog tape behavior (ATB)???
Old 8th August 2017
  #145
Lives for gear
 
horseface's Avatar
It sounds pretty neat with the built in compression on the kick - it turns into a bit of a dirty monster.

Pre-ordered.
Old 8th August 2017
  #146
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by antto View Post
of course there is an artificial limit in order to never reach a situation of glitches
that would be a big fail if it happens, wouldn't it?

blinky909: stop thinking in terms of number of voices, that's so wrong
it's like "how many programs can you run on your computer at once?"

if this was a zoo, then you're asking how many "animals" can it fit
42
actually the polyphony is a legitimate question to ask based on the design of the hardware. clearly 11 voices is a magic number since both the 808 and 909 have that many sounds. given this is just a repackaging of the ACB platform and all the boutiques share the same main board, it speaks to what other products Roland could produce with this... the most complex synth has been the JP-08 which is vastly more complex than the JU-06 in terms of synth architecture required for each voice.

why couldn't the JU-06 be a six voice poly? i wonder if it's a function of the DA and it's USB hooks and less that of the DSP.
Old 8th August 2017
  #147
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by antto View Post
of course there is an artificial limit in order to never reach a situation of glitches
that would be a big fail if it happens, wouldn't it?

blinky909: stop thinking in terms of number of voices, that's so wrong
it's like "how many programs can you run on your computer at once?"

if this was a zoo, then you're asking how many "animals" can it fit
42
depends on the design of the computer operating system. some can multi-task, some can not. think UNIX vs DOS.

that all the boutique products share a main board and thus all the heavy lifting is happening in the software means they can churn out model after model and the initial R&D costs have covered a wide array of products. and there lies the genius of these boxes... not that they are re-creating all these synths and drum machines, that they only had to design a single platform...
Old 8th August 2017
  #148
Deleted User 
Guest
Yes, finally! Any release date set?

EDIT: September
Old 8th August 2017
  #149
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 

Best looking boutique imo and almost, almost has me convinced to pony up

Sounds bloody great mind
Old 8th August 2017
  #150
Lives for gear
 
antto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909
depends on the design of the computer operating system. some can multi-task, some can not. think UNIX vs DOS.

that all the boutique products share a main board and thus all the heavy lifting is happening in the software means they can churn out model after model and the initial R&D costs have covered a wide array of products. and there lies the genius of these boxes... not that they are re-creating all these synths and drum machines, that they only had to design a single platform...
do you think once they have developed the hardware platform - all is done?
there hasn't been any R&D into spent to make the TR-08?
they just took the TR-09 hardware, and fed the "tr-808_schematic.jpg" into their magic ACB compiler which generated the new firmware, then all that was left for them to do is to design the front panel and choose the colors?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump