The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland TR-08
Old 31st March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
The 08 has arrived here too. I'm with people that mention the workflow. I've never had an original but I totally get as to why this format became so popular not to mention the tones. It's a dream to program and keeps it fresh. I'm hoping Roland adds a few more in this form factor. I really like the small footprint and easy workflow.
Just got my tr-08 today! Soooo good! Gotta get my head around the workflow but i just sat an tweaked the kit to my pref settings. Its ready for some electro techno action for the next 30 years. Ive named it Dr Blowfin.
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jampot View Post
Got me a TR-08 incoming tomorrow!! Was thinking about a tr8s but i just want a drum machine that does the one job it was built for.
I'm perfectly happy with the TR-8 and do not need to mess things up with the TR8S. Do sampling right (with step locked parameters), or don't do it at all.

If the TR-08 and 09 came out before the TR-8, I'd be all over them and not complaining about the limited sound sets.
Old 4th June 2018
Have been playing a bit more with my TR-08. I hadn't really dived into it much before (and never had the chance to use an original).

I somewhat accidentally came across this chain. TR-08 into a Silver Bullet into a Zulu. Increased the gain significantly in the SB and also used the EQ for a sub and air boost. Got some really lovely think crunchy distortion -- enormously huge kick drum sound and really smashed up hats. Then blended in a short delay to the signal to further thicken things up (almost like a short reverb). Wow! Lovely lovely sound. Instantly started building a track around it. Really opened my eyes up a bit to how you can use this thing and why the original has been so popular over the years.
Old 6th July 2018
Gear Maniac
a quick question guys.. im up for buying one but i really need to know the following. i have an RME Fireface UC soundcard which i really want to use but i would love to be able to use the tr 08 with USB so i can use all its outputs on separate channels. Question is, can i use the tr 08 via usb with its internal soundcard and in the same time have my RME running as primary audio card or no ?
Old 6th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktorapo View Post
a quick question guys.. im up for buying one but i really need to know the following. i have an RME Fireface UC soundcard which i really want to use but i would love to be able to use the tr 08 with USB so i can use all its outputs on separate channels. Question is, can i use the tr 08 via usb with its internal soundcard and in the same time have my RME running as primary audio card or no ?
Definite answer in two words: Forget it
Old 6th July 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Definite answer in two words: Forget it
what? why? elaborate?
Old 6th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
what? why? elaborate?
Those Roland USB drivers are a dirty hack around the USB ecosystem. For this reason, even operating systems which usually would support multiple audio devices (such as OS X) can't make use of the two at the same time. (AFAIK it would not be possible with Windows to have multiple audio interfaces anyway but that one I don't know for sure).
Old 6th July 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Those Roland USB drivers are a dirty hack around the USB ecosystem. For this reason, even operating systems which usually would support multiple audio devices (such as OS X) can't make use of the two at the same time. (AFAIK it would not be possible with Windows to have multiple audio interfaces anyway but that one I don't know for sure).
Cool. Thanks !
Old 8th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Old post, but figured someone may appreciate this info... you actually can run multiple Roland Boutique / Arias in aggregate over USB... I have had every channel of a TR-09, TR-08, Sh-01a and a D-05 play into my DAW without issue (also worked when I substituted the 09 and 08 for a TR-8s).

I do this on a powerful but older Windows 10 system with ASIO4All and a Presonus 1818VSL running Studio One. I run the boutiques at 96KHz. No crackles or pops.

Here is the big warning: I have tried this with other sound cards (including others by Presonus) and got very poor results (latency), and I suspect your excellent RME drivers wouldn't take to this at all. This appears to be a very hit or miss thing, and I happened to get lucky with my cheapo soundcard. Go figure.

For whatever reason, the 1818VSL works like a champ w/ ASIO4All and Roland USB audio. It is the ONLY reason I still keep it around.
Old 8th August 2018
Lives for gear

I’m still waiting for the TR-08 price to go down to the same level as the TR-09.....
Old 8th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post
Old post, but figured someone may appreciate this info... you actually can run multiple Roland Boutique / Arias in aggregate over USB... I have had every channel of a TR-09, TR-08, Sh-01a and a D-05 play into my DAW without issue (also worked when I substituted the 09 and 08 for a TR-8s).

I do this on a powerful but older Windows 10 system with ASIO4All and a Presonus 1818VSL running Studio One. I run the boutiques at 96KHz. No crackles or pops.

Here is the big warning: I have tried this with other sound cards (including others by Presonus) and got very poor results (latency), and I suspect your excellent RME drivers wouldn't take to this at all. This appears to be a very hit or miss thing, and I happened to get lucky with my cheapo soundcard. Go figure.

For whatever reason, the 1818VSL works like a champ w/ ASIO4All and Roland USB audio. It is the ONLY reason I still keep it around.
cool! thanks for that. i really cant understand why roland wouldn't use separate outs for their boutiques :(
Old 8th August 2018
Lives for gear

New firmware update for the TR-8.

Roland - TR-8 | Rhythm Performer

New feature: step loop function.
Old 8th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
cool! thanks for that. i really cant understand why roland wouldn't use separate outs for their boutiques :(
Room and cost.
Old 2nd September 2018
Finally got some time to play about with this.
Bit late to the game but I discovered the trick of upping the instrument gain to get some more punch and life from the unit.
I don’t suppose there was a way to record parameter edits per step, like you can on the se-02, that would be cool as you could record tune and decay etc over the pattern for more interesting rhythms. Guess it is not possible. Shame though, even volca beats manages this and plus it’s stutter echo effect has a couple of tricks that would be really nice on the 08. Also some reverb... guess now I’m asking for Christmas.
Wondering about the 09 also, perhaps worth a try. Much fun, everyone needs at least one actual drum machine, imho.
The trigger out is much fun with the sh-01a.
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJB View Post
Bit late to the game but I discovered the trick of upping the instrument gain to get some more punch and life from the unit.
I don’t suppose there was a way to record parameter edits per step, like you can on the se-02, that would be cool as you could record tune and decay etc over the pattern for more interesting rhythms. Guess it is not possible. Shame though, even volca beats manages this and plus it’s stutter echo effect has a couple of tricks that would be really nice on the 08. Also some reverb... guess now I’m asking for Christmas.
Wondering about the 09 also, perhaps worth a try. Much fun, everyone needs at least one actual drum machine, imho.
Does it not receive CC on those parameters you mention? It's not the same obviously but you could just grid up p-locks in a daw piano roll or sequencer, at least it's a workaround to add movement.
Old 2nd September 2018
Quote:
Nah, you aren’t asking for Christmas, you’re asking for a TR-8s
Old 2nd September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticbuster View Post
Nah, you aren’t asking for Christmas, you’re asking for a TR-8s
Would have already got the tr-8 but a few things annoyed me from the get go, lack of song mode being one. Also very limited storage but think they fixed that. Also too big for me, crazy I know since most complain boutiques are too small, but the small size is a real win for me. I don’t play live so have no issue with the controls or jacks.

What can the tr8 do then? I know it has on-board fx, is sample based. It can record per step parameters, say like decay and tune per instrument? That’s a pretty neat feature I confess, one missed from the tr-08 I admit. Anyone know if the tr-09 can do it either?
Old 2nd September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Does it not receive CC on those parameters you mention? It's not the same obviously but you could just grid up p-locks in a daw piano roll or sequencer, at least it's a workaround to add movement.
Think that would work, it should send and receive cc so a pattern on the daw should be able to control these. Would be really neat to record in a pattern stand-alone. Not really for anything fancier than being able to play about with decays, levels, pans and tuning for more interesting and dynamic patterns, while stand alone.

Guess that’s not an option. Shame, bet it would be relatively easy for Roland to have added in software.

Seems all products are left with feature shortcomings, why we keep buying the next offerings...
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Think that would work, it should send and receive cc so a pattern on the daw should be able to control these. Would be really neat to record in a pattern stand-alone. Not really for anything fancier than being able to play about with decays, levels, pans and tuning for more interesting and dynamic patterns, while stand alone.

Guess that’s not an option. Shame, bet it would be relatively easy for Roland to have added in software.

Seems all products are left with feature shortcomings, why we keep buying the next offerings...
Yeah it's a pita but I suppose if most of the time you have a daw open its not so bad, set up a template, save it and use it as your jam or recording template that way at least you can get busy
Old 11th October 2018
Gear Maniac

How do you clear one instrument from a pattern, ie snares?

Manual say the clear button can do this but I can't see how.
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Hi,

when i use the random pattern generator on the TR08, it randomises everything but the kick lol! Is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?

Seems silly that it wouldn't random the most important part of the pattern.

Thanks
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

i would like 'Undo', for when you accidentally Clear a pattern, or do the Copy operation the wrong way round.
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elasticc View Post
Hi,

when i use the random pattern generator on the TR08, it randomises everything but the kick lol! Is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?

Seems silly that it wouldn't random the most important part of the pattern.

Thanks
why would you want randomized kicks? if anything, that's the root that everything else revolves around. (not sure if it's "intelligent" randomization that would place them where they make sense.) sounds to me like it's working properly.

i didn't even realize it had this option, just sold my TR-08 a few weeks ago. was this added in an update, or did i just miss it in the manual?
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

(didn't even bother to check out the feature)
Old 5th August 2019
Here for the gear

TR-08 USB vs. MIDI

When I sync the TR-08 via USB it also sends out MIDI notes to my external synths. Is there a way to turn off this?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Hi!

Is there a general consensus on how to get as little latency as possible with the TR-08 (OSX / Live 10.1) ?

I don't plan to use the TR's sequencer (I really bought the 08 as a sound module that'd offload my CPU), but I need the separate outputs (as we all do). I use the live-coding language TidalCycles to compose, and use Live as a plugin host and audio recorder / mixer. Ideally, I record full tracks real time, hence the huge appeal of the Boutique series (I also grabbed a SH01-A and SE-02).

And these timing discrepancies are driving me nuts

So far I've :
- bought and used a powered USB 3.0 hub : not a single issue regardinf hum or audio dropouts
- set an aggregated device successfully (currently with the built-in soundcard, as I'm not in the studio for another week. Will use my SPL Crimson instead when I'm back there)
- set a new template with everything routed properly... but it might be too complex and induce some latency too (splitting instruments over a combo of MIDI, instrument, and audio tracks, the way Live compensates input monitoring might be an issue here) so I'll try a much simpler set-up today.
- tried various tricks (MIDI delay and such).

I haven't found a clear resource on that whole subject, and I really want to make it work. A reliable / convenient way to precisely measure the latency would already be awesome (I've got mixed results here).

I love this / these box(es), I'd love to make it work. I bought them to ease up my CPU and speed up my workflow, which they'll definitely do once I've sorted it all out.

A huge thanks to you guys, any help will be tremendously appreciated.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search