The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Funny enough, the MX-1 can be used for low noise analogue track-by-track tracking of the TR-08.
Wait, you can use one of the 4 usb inputs on the mix-1 and from that one usb it can show up as a multitracked drum machine in your daw?

Does it interfere with recording from other sources on the mx-1 at the same time?
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostar View Post
Wait, you can use one of the 4 usb inputs on the mix-1 and from that one usb it can show up as a multitracked drum machine in your daw?

Does it interfere with recording from other sources on the mx-1 at the same time?
???

The scenario you describe is not "track-by-track analogue tracking"
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear

yeah, guessing what he meant is that you can use the MX1 as a DAC for the boutiques to gain a much better SNR in the analog domain?

This would suggest to me that Roland skimped on the DAC+output stage part of the ACB boutiques
Old 10th January 2018
Lives for gear

Yes, the MX-1 analogue output can be used for tracking in the analogue domain and the main outs from the MX-1 have a good SNR.

However, the MX-1 has some noisy gain stages on its analogue inputs if pushed (which are not used in that scenario)... To get the best SNR when tracking the TR-08 through the MX-1, turn the AUX return to zero, put the gain on the USB input being used to minimum and mute all the other channels... Voila, similar SNR as with the TR-8 (at least when the USB is not connected to the computer which may cause ground loop problems with the TR-8's analogue outs, as Roland skimps on decoupling its USB ports).
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJB View Post
Ok that makes more sense.

I’ve not seen how it works on windows, I think on a Mac it works like you’d expect, one device, many channels, the device appears in a daw as multiple channels.

For example an aggregate device with the tr-08 in it, selecting the channels that come from the tr-08 would select those audio channels, same as selecting channels mapped to come from other devices in the aggregate device.

Perhaps windows doesn’t handle this so well, it’s been a long time since I did this on windows, struggling to recall.
Oops. My issue was resolved by the simple remedy of choosing the correct audio driver protocol (I think it was on DX instead of ASIO) and the 8 individual Mono channels appear, the Stereo sum output, and the stereo 3.5mm TRS mix input for a total of 12 channels.

(8+2+2=12)
Old 11th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
Oops. My issue was resolved by the simple remedy of choosing the correct audio driver protocol (I think it was on DX instead of ASIO) and the 8 individual Mono channels appear, the Stereo sum output, and the stereo 3.5mm TRS mix input for a total of 12 channels.

(8+2+2=12)
Ahah, now you’re talking.

Quite decent isn’t it. Even 3 stereo busses would have probably been ample for me, this stereo mix bus plus individuals is great.myou can edit what goes where in the menu too, regarding the mix bus, neat.
Old 22nd January 2018
I haven't got a TR-08 (yet), but if (when) I do get one, I plan to use the USB output to record it onto multiple tracks. I don't understand what "aggregate device" means as I have never had to set one up before. I use an ancient version of Sonar (Windows, using ASIO) that, as far as I know, happily allows you to have multiple USB audio devices. Will I see each drum track as a separate "device"? And if so, won't that just work with Sonar (or most other DAWs)?
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Aggie device is a Mac thing.

If ASIO does multiples on your Windows machine you should be good.
Old 24th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Aggie device is a Mac thing.

If ASIO does multiples on your Windows machine you should be good.
Thanks.
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

I have a Tr-09 and FWIW I can aggregate this with my other soundcards using ASIO4ALL on Win10 without any problems.
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly View Post
I have a Tr-09 and FWIW I can aggregate this with my other soundcards using ASIO4ALL on Win10 without any problems.
I need to try that- see how my Liquid Saffire gets on with it.
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
I need to try that- see how my Liquid Saffire gets on with it.
Let us know how it works... seems to depend a lot on the drivers for the audio interface. It has been real hit or miss for me.

The Presonus 1818vsl works GREAT with asio4all... I have several Boutiques running at 96 over usb with my old 1818vsl. Works so well I may pick up a second as a spare when presonus moves to end of life it (it’s an old interface at this point so I can see it going away sooner or later).

Asio4all has horrible latency with my Focusrite 18i20; also tried it with a Roland and Behringer usb audio interface with similar results. Ditto that new 96 two channel interface from Presonus. I have read similar asio4all latency issues with the RME Babyface.
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post
Let us know how it works... seems to depend a lot on the drivers for the audio interface. It has been real hit or miss for me.

The Presonus 1818vsl works GREAT with asio4all... I have several Boutiques running at 96 over usb with my old 1818vsl. Works so well I may pick up a second as a spare when presonus moves to end of life it (it’s an old interface at this point so I can see it going away sooner or later).

Asio4all has horrible latency with my Focusrite 18i20; also tried it with a Roland and Behringer usb audio interface with similar results. Ditto that new 96 two channel interface from Presonus. I have read similar asio4all latency issues with the RME Babyface.
Willdo. Probably hanging back until I get the TR-8 mind.

I think with the Saffire being on a FW connection and through a VIA (it works, but isn't recommended by Focusrite), I may get issues.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Sold my TR 8 18 months later, the more i made music, the less I was using this. Has an awesome kick ( had 707 expansion pack too), I just couldn't gel with it, I've moved up to a SP 16 (soon week or so) for 8 mono out for proper tracking and ability to do all sorts of drums
TR 8 is a good cheap DM but it does have it's limitations to which I think I had exhausted. In built FX can really make this shine but forget it when you're using analog out
You can also have 4 out, just assign what instruments you want on the A/B out and then hard pan main left/right to get 4 individual out
I would do this with Kick, Snare, High tom, mid and low. So got 5 out with a nice clean signal
I did do some USB recording back in the day but my Focusrite 18i8 just never liked ASIO4all when trying to run both TR 8 and interface together
The TR 8 was almost a perfect machine and you can also trigger external gear without triggering onboard sounds with the newer FW update

Enjoy
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Does anyone have terrible ground/hum problems with their TR-08? Was just messing with mine after having set ip up to a USB hub for power, and now the audio signal is contaminated beyond usability. I will try running it with a USB phone charger without the hub and with batteries, to see if this prob can be fixed.

First the subpar DAC, 3,5mm output and now this - I am starting to regret ever buying this box Starting to feel like yocto&nava aint that bad a deal after all..?

EDIT: Sussed it out.. DO NOT POWER THE ROLAND BOUTIQUES WITH USB HUBS! Doing so might seriously pollute your signalpath. Just powering one box is fine, but connect two or more to the same hub and
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
Does anyone have terrible ground/hum problems with their TR-08?
That's the dreaded audio over USB hum noise I think. All Boutiques have that. If you use USB power you have that. You can use a separate adapter/USB phone charger (so not powering it through USB) you don't have that. But then you can't use the USB to send audio to your DAW.
Old 29th January 2018
This audio over USB thing is all very annoying. I was looking forward to getting a TR-08 so I had a good-sounding, programmable drum machine with dedicated outs. That leaves the possibility of getting a TR-8 instead (using the two outputs and panning to get 4 outs), but that doesn't have a proper song program mode, which is what I want. Plus, it doesn't sound quite as good. The Drum Brute is a similar price, and the sequencer looks ace, but I don't like the sounds. It's all very frustrating.
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrainger View Post
This audio over USB thing is all very annoying. I was looking forward to getting a TR-08 so I had a good-sounding, programmable drum machine with dedicated outs. That leaves the possibility of getting a TR-8 instead (using the two outputs and panning to get 4 outs), but that doesn't have a proper song program mode, which is what I want. Plus, it doesn't sound quite as good. The Drum Brute is a similar price, and the sequencer looks ace, but I don't like the sounds. It's all very frustrating.
Get a Miami
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Soundwise the 808 kit from the TR-8 is indistinguishable from the TR-08. however the sequencer tracks appeared be slightly shifted.
Old 29th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
Get a Miami
Looks good, but a bit on the pricey side for me at the moment... maybe if I get that better paid job I'm looking for...
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrainger View Post
I use an Elektron overdub with power supply as my USB hub for the Boutiques. I have four attached to the same hub, all doing 96khz in to my Daw. Zero sound issues... and the Tr-08 sounds fantastic over usb.

Buy an over hub from a place with a good return policy and try it out.
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodde View Post
That's the dreaded audio over USB hum noise I think. All Boutiques have that. If you use USB power you have that. You can use a separate adapter/USB phone charger (so not powering it through USB) you don't have that. But then you can't use the USB to send audio to your DAW.
No, I’m using the analog audio outs. Besides, I already figured iut the source of the problem. If I plug each boutique into its own phone charger, instead of using a usb power hub, the ground issuues go away.

For all I know, they might work just fine if you use the digital USB audio. In any case I think you’re better off using the USB audio with these, the analog audio output is clearly an afterthought here.

Maybe Loland needs to start including a USB isolator with every battery/USB-powered boutique? Never had any probs whatsoever with my SE-02..
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear
Fwiw I also have no noise issues with either/both TR09 and JU06 powered over usb through overhub.
Old 2nd February 2018
Possible some noise issues come from cheap, dodgy or poorly designed USB cables, I’ve had that before and even recently with boutiques and a pack of 5 usb from eBay. Changing the wire removed noise from audio out. Similarly some usb sources are noisy or get noisy as you load them up. Not really the Boutiques fault.

However no noise into the daw in all cases, it’s digital data.

Lately tr-08, d-50, And sh-01 all working noise free on analog outs and sensible usb power.
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJB View Post
Possible some noise issues come from cheap, dodgy or poorly designed USB cables
And from cheap, dodgy and poorly designed USB connectors without proper decoupling. Roland, we are looking at you here
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Nut

Why is the TR-08 more expensive than TR-09? Any chance the TR-08 will go down in price this year?
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Soundwise the 808 kit from the TR-8 is indistinguishable from the TR-08. however the sequencer tracks appeared be slightly shifted.
Crazy when I was researching the TR-09 everyone said the soundset in the TR-09 was better than the TR-8's 909 soundset. Something about the engine and some changes? So you're saying they didn't make any improvements with the TR-08's soundset over the TR-8's?
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
Why is the TR-08 more expensive than TR-09? Any chance the TR-08 will go down in price this year?
The TR-09 is $50 more expensive than the TR-08 in Canada at the moment!
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
The TR-09 is $50 more expensive than the TR-08 in Canada at the moment!
Oh, it's 150 USD more expensive in Belgium :/
Old 18th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Crazy when I was researching the TR-09 everyone said the soundset in the TR-09 was better than the TR-8's 909 soundset. Something about the engine and some changes? So you're saying they didn't make any improvements with the TR-08's soundset over the TR-8's?
I spoke to a guy at roland, tr-8 is sampled from gold versions of the drum machines. The boutiques they used all different conditioned units to get more general sound found on the released originals for the acb chips....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search