The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 29th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Tea View Post
Glad you liked it - I also laugh out loud along with him - so truly funny, imaginative and sonically out there!

"Let's solo those wolves ..."

Brilliant!
The wolves actually sound great - I'd love to do an e.p. using them as a pad. Meanwhile, the pandas were surprisingly terrible.
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear
can anyone with a tr 08 and an sq 1 test if the trigger out on the tr 08 can advance the sq 1 accurately using its sync in?

thanks
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringostar View Post
can anyone with a tr 08 and an sq 1 test if the trigger out on the tr 08 can advance the sq 1 accurately using its sync in?

thanks
Yep. I was doing this the other day and it works fine. I didn't detect any timing issues or lag.
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Yep. I was doing this the other day and it works fine. I didn't detect any timing issues or lag.
thanks

the click out on my xa doesn’t work in that regard
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

I will get an TR08 as soon as Roland lower the price to the same as for the TR09. The current price difference doesn't make sense other than that the 09 was released earlier.
Old 30th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
I will get an TR08 as soon as Roland lower the price to the same as for the TR09. The current price difference doesn't make sense other than that the 09 was released earlier.
Huh? Tr08 is already less than the tr09 by $50 (in US, at least)
Old 30th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
You can find them for cheap overseas.. Juno (UK) has been charging approx. $275 USD for the TR-09, for the last couple of months.
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

I finally ordered mine, I think all the Boutiques are overpriced in Aussie dollars but I'm committed to this format over the Aira and Roland cloud alternatives. I like the way they are made and function; I got the `XOX Rebirth set' plus the SH-01A and each piece exceeds the specs of the originals in nice enough ways to excuse any weaknesses.
Old 30th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge rutgers View Post
You can find them for cheap overseas.. Juno (UK) has been charging approx. $275 USD for the TR-09, for the last couple of months.
ROLAND Roland Boutique TR08 Rhythm Composer 808 Drum Machine vinyl at Juno Records.

Curently $346.10

ROLAND Roland Boutique TR09 Rhythm Composer 909 Drum Machine vinyl at Juno Records.
Currently $271.63. But not in stock.

Last edited by raito; 30th December 2017 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: Early post without all text
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

The TR-09 typically is 279€ new and 199€ used since months.

Before the TR-09 price was lowered, it was 469€.
Old 30th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
In Europe 279 for the TR09 and 389 for the TR08
Old 31st December 2017
TR-08 since the TR-8 form factor is too clumsy and big (and green). Although I’d still like a TR-08 for the other classic sounds, let’s face it you can always use samples. The nice thing about the TR-08 is a small battery powered portable with song sequencer you can take away and make beats with anywhere and trigger out, ext mix in and multichannel audio i/o to boot.

However, at least I hear they fixed the 96khz only problem with the TR-8 which was a significant snag. Actually would have bought one already except for that initial limitation, then meanwhile the TR-08 and 09 came out....
Old 1st January 2018
Deleted User 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJB View Post
let’s face it you can always use samples
samples are so 2017...
Old 1st January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoder23 View Post
samples are so 2017...
And 2019
Old 1st January 2018
Deleted User 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJB View Post
And 2019
maybe, but only if you keep 2018 sample free!
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge rutgers View Post
Shhh don’t tell anyone until I can afford one!!
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear
Has anyone figured out the best way to integrate this into a DAW with the multiple outputs into an aggregate sound device?

I’m using Reason 9.5 with Windows 10 and I was trying to figure out how to record it as it appears as multiple devices and I just wanted to use USB... would multitracking with the Analog outs be the best option?
Old 4th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
Has anyone figured out the best way to integrate this into a DAW with the multiple outputs into an aggregate sound device?

I’m using Reason 9.5 with Windows 10 and I was trying to figure out how to record it as it appears as multiple devices and I just wanted to use USB... would multitracking with the Analog outs be the best option?
I have tried multitracking the analog outs. The problem with it isn't sync (which is actually good) but the accumulation of noise when you have several tracks running. You can tame that with noise gates, but the process becomes laborious.

Windows ASIO does not allow aggregate sound devices unless you are using ASIO4ALL, which does not work with every soundcard, especially if the manufacturer makes specialized low-latency drivers. For example, if you have Focusrite interfaces, the increased latency you'll get with ASIO4ALL defeats the whole purpose of the thing.

BUT, I've come up with a workaround!

1) Download a free or low-cost secondary DAW, like Studio One Prime, Reaper, or basic versions of various DAWs. You will not need any of the major features, just the ability to record and render/mix down.

2) Set up that DAW to be used with the TR-08 exclusively, do not connect it with your main audio interface. Then make sure the sound inputs from your TR-08 are consistent with the drum sounds (i.e. separate outs for BD, SD, HT, MT, LT, etc...).

3) Set up an external MIDI instrument control for the TR-08 and select the TR-08's MIDI in/out ports to correspond to that instrument.

4) Record your TR-08 audio. You should see the individual tracks record.

5) If they all record well, then render/bounce/export (however that secondary DAW refers to the process as) each of the TR-08 drum part tracks to separate .WAV files.

6) Close the secondary DAW, and then import those .WAV files to your main DAW, starting at the same start point.

7) Congrats! Now you have individual tracks for your TR-08 drum parts for individual effects/miding, and can freely use your regular DAW without the headache of re-configuring your setup!

Last edited by Elsongs; 7th January 2018 at 07:06 AM..
Old 4th January 2018
Quote:

Not quite sure I follow the problem.

Recently (using Cubase) I multi-tracked the TR-08 as an aggregate device that comprised also the SE-02 and the D-05.

There were zero issues.

The only snag I could see is if you use one of these boxes, like the TR-08 also as the DAW output (which itself is fine) if you play it by midi (sequence it, over USB say) to record it, it will both play directly and potentially play back (out of phase/with delay, naturally) from the DAW out too, so you have to be careful/smart about what / how you monitor the tracks and inputs.

What I tend to do is built up parts played by midi, monitored live by audio channels, until I'm happy with them (this is flexible, since you can edit midi and channel fx freely) - once about happy I'll record the various parts to audio and then switch off the midi channels that played them and the monitoring (or in reality, move on to monitoring other tracks/parts and patches).

Retaining the midi, sometimes later I go back and redo an audio part later, when it needs refining or redoing as the track develops. A little clunky vs. complete ITB but no where near as un-automated than using older hardware, mixes and all integrated hardware.

Audio out from TR-08 for DAW audio is excellent, I ran it at 96KHz 24bit and could easily do a whole track just using that as the 2 channel monitor.
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
I have tried multitracking the analog outs. The problem with it isn't sync (which is actually good) but the accumulation of noise when you have several tracks running. You can tame that with noise gates, but the process becomes laborious.

Windows ASIO does not allow aggregate sound devices unless you are using ASIO4ALL, which does not work with every soundcard, especially if the manufacturer makes specialized low-latency drivers. For example, if you have Focusrite interfaces, the increased latency you'll get with ASIO4ALL defeats the whole purpose of the thing.

BUT, I've come up with a workaround!

1) Download a free or low-cost secondary DAW, like Studio One Prime, Reaper, or basic versions of various DAWs. You will not need any of the major features, just the ability to record and render/mix down.

2) Set up that DAW to be used with the TR-08 exclusively, do not connect it with your main audio interface. Then make sure the sound inputs from your TR-08 are consistent with the drum sounds (i.e. separate outs for BD, SD, HT, MT, LT, etc...).

3) Set up an external MIDI instrument control for the TR-08 and select the TR-08's MIDI in/out ports to correspond to that instrument.

4) Record your TR-08 audio. You should see the individual tracks record.

5) If they all record well, then render/bounce/export (however that secondary DAW refers to the process as) each of the TR-08 drum part tracks to separate .WAV files.

6) Close the secondary DAWN, and then import those .WAV files to your main DAW, starting at the same start point.

7) Congrats! Now you have individual tracks for your TR-08 drum parts for individual effects/miding, and can freely use your regular DAW without the headache of re-configuring your setup!
I wonder if one could skip 5 & 6 using Rewire? Never tried it
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Funny enough, the MX-1 can be used for low noise analogue track-by-track tracking of the TR-08.
Old 5th January 2018
Still don’t get the issue (sorry), why not just record the audio in channels it gives over USB in the DAW, as required. Something like 10 of them plus the stereo mix?
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

Because Roland‘s USB drivers are a mess

or

Because someone wants to track stuff through analogue gear

or

For whatever other reason that doesn‘t apply to you (if you ask this, you don‘t require any other solution than recording via USB into the DAW, obviously)
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

My finding is that the TR-08 sounds identically to the TR-8’s 808 emulation but it seems the drum triggers from the sequencer are shifted (only telling from listening though)?
Old 7th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Because Roland‘s USB drivers are a mess

or

Because someone wants to track stuff through analogue gear

or

For whatever other reason that doesn‘t apply to you (if you ask this, you don‘t require any other solution than recording via USB into the DAW, obviously)
Still doesn’t answer it really. What does ‘drivers are a mess’ mean with respect to getting multiple channels out of the tr-08 the only way, over usb audio. Unless it doesn’t work (seems to work)

What then would be different in routing that through analog gear vs any other digital audio sources.

What has any of that to do with the tr-08 vs any other multi channel over usb audio device?
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear
I was specifically thinking of using the TR-08’s multi-outputs with the Reason Rack FX and Mixer. Windows seems to think that each of the individual outputs is a separate sound device, so I was having difficulty getting the 8-10 channels going at the same time.
Old 7th January 2018
Quote:
I was specifically thinking of using the TR-08’s multi-outputs with the Reason Rack FX and Mixer. Windows seems to think that each of the individual outputs is a separate sound device, so I was having difficulty getting the 8-10 channels going at the same time.
Ok that makes more sense.

I’ve not seen how it works on windows, I think on a Mac it works like you’d expect, one device, many channels, the device appears in a daw as multiple channels.

For example an aggregate device with the tr-08 in it, selecting the channels that come from the tr-08 would select those audio channels, same as selecting channels mapped to come from other devices in the aggregate device.

Perhaps windows doesn’t handle this so well, it’s been a long time since I did this on windows, struggling to recall.
Old 7th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
I wonder if one could skip 5 & 6 using Rewire? Never tried it
Definitely possible, but depending on one's system, that option would use up more system resources than rendering and importing tracks.
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

Someone needs to do a small 3rd party ARM/arduino/raspberryPi -based ”breakout box” for the boutique TR-08 & TR-09. I want the indiouts without the hassle of using these as yet another soundcard. Do I really need to buy a MX-1?

As for the TR-08; the sounds are abit meh (the snares sibilant as hell and the hats/cymbals is weak af) but the box handles quite faithfully to the original. Don’t get one for the sound, get one if you love the og workflow(s). The UI of an 808 is quite unique and fun to use IMO.
Old 7th January 2018
Hey, sorry but dumb question.

I've programmed a pattern with 1st part and 2nd part a and b, two 32 step parts.

All works fine, a and b play, parts 1 and 2 play. But if I leaving the basic variation in AB, it doesn't flip between the two.

A and B will play continuously individually, if selected via the I/F variation.

The manual is impossible to skim read, is there a setting I'm missing in the setup? What controls the A<->B flipping that work on other patches?

EDIT:

Ok clue must be I can only flip manually between A and B 32 step 2 part measures using the I/F variation and not the Basic variation normally used.

So I've clearly entered it wrong. How can I make the B of I/F variation the B of basic variation so that the AB Basic variation ping-pongs between them, is there an easy way?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search