The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
Here's a quickie TR-8 VS TR808 comparison I did. Although it's not perfect, tried to match the levels and tuning as best as I could on the TR-8.
Thanks, I can't wait to have a listen as it seemed it's not only a tuning difference in the comparison videos, also those of the TR-08. Will listen later today.
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

They sound quite different. The second one seems to have a much quieter kick and a much sharper hi hat/ cymbal tone as far as my perception goes. Also the snare seems different.
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

great demo :-)
so the 808 is the first one? didn't find #2 too disgusting! it boomed
these crappy headphones ok.

Last edited by whatever17; 15th November 2017 at 02:13 AM..
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's a quickie TR-8 VS TR808 comparison I did. Although it's not perfect, tried to match the levels and tuning as best as I could on the TR-8.
Thanks for taking the time to do this! I take it the 808 is first(?). The cymbals on the second seem higher pitched to my ears and "cleaner", if that makes sense. Prefer the first lot.

Does the TR-8 have the same sounds as the TR-08?
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

I didn't find #2 disgusting but I don't think it's really up with #1 .

Great demo of course, I listened 4x
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
The cymbals on the second seem higher pitched to my ears and "cleaner", if that makes sense. Prefer the first lot.
Yes, the metal always is revealing, a whole bunch of high pitched square waves... total aliasing nightmare unless heavily filtered away
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you all enjoyed the demo. Yes, the first one is the TR808 and the second one is the TR-8 as a few of you've al guessed. This is actually the first time I've actually sat and listened to the two and compared them. The cymbals are a dead giveaway, which is no surprise. I had to admit though, the TR-8 snare sounds pretty good. The TR-8 kick booms pretty good, but the 808 has more harmonics in it's kick. I'm also surprised at how close I was able to get the TR-8 clap to the 808's.
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear
In that particular comparison, the tr8 got smashed into a billion pieces
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

So this test was TR8 vs 808, not the new TR-08 vs the 808?

any chance for a wav/aiff version? The mp3 sounds weird (mushy transients and stuff, like ran thru a C-cassette?) and I don’t know if its caused by the sources, tracking methods used or the mp3 format itself..
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

"Smashed into a billion pieces...."?? Hardly.

I guess it depends on what you're listening on, but I find the TR-8's kick resonance a bit _more_ resonant and harmonic, the kick on the original TR-808 cleaner -- easily a difference you could detect between two TR-808s.

As to the cymbal, the difference is a combination of tuning and volume; the cymbal on the TR-8 is a bit quieter, and tuned up a bit above the cymbal on the TR-808.

The recorded sound of both is different, too, no doubt due to older analogue vs. modern ADC/DAC converters on the output (even the analogue output -- was the TR-8 recorded via analogue out, or USB? If the latter, even more a factor). The TR-808 sounds more "present," meaning without any space around it; the TR-8 almost sounds like it has a bit of 'verb added, but is a bit further "back" and not entirely mono, especially the kick.

The sound, though, is extremely close; I can easily imagine tuning both instruments in a comparison to reverse the perception created by each.

Plus I imagine the TR-08 will sound closer still.
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

The anti aliasing filtering on the detuned-square-waves "noise" source (for the hats and cymbal) alone is so revealing that I highly doubt you can tune the devices to reverse the perception, no matter how you tune the instruments .
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

even so, I’d still love to hear a decently pitch- and levelmatched A/B. So far most I’ve heard aounded too dissimilar to seriously compare.
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

I believe the guy. He said he did his best to pitch match them. And I had the TR-8, I tried to pitch match the hi hats and cymbal but they always sound different with the TR-8 easy to spot because it has a different sound to it. With cymbal and hats it‘s obvious you can‘t really make them sound like they do sound on an 808 when trying on the TR-8 by yourself. The sound reminds me more of the 808 cymbal emulation my Kurzweil PC3 does than of a real 808.
Old 21st November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

The hiatts and on the second one sounds different. Much more highs on the second. Not sure if I like that sound. The open hiatt sucks. The first one has more body overall. The snare also sounds a bit more snappy on the second one. Judging from your sample. Never was fond of the TR=08 open hiatt but I also doen't like the open hiatt on the real 808.

Edit: I thought it was a comparison between TR-08 and TR-8. So I edited my post a bit. Now it turns out to be the TR-8 and real 808. My mistake....

Would like to hear such a comparison between TR-8 and TR-08.
Old 22nd November 2017
Lives for gear

TR-808 vs TR-8 vs. TR-08

Hi everyone. When the demo comparison was recorded, I used analog outputs of the TR-8 (not USB). I also have a WAV. version which I'm including in this post to eliminate mp3 compression from the equation. The main point I was trying to make with this demo is the differences between the cymbals and hats of my TR-808 and those of the TR-8. I agree with one of the posters above about tuning the cymbals on the TR-8. It is difficult and the truth is it will never match the tone of the 808's cymbals because they are fundamentally different in tone/character. Personally, I prefer the hats and cymbals of my TR808 to those of my TR-8. On the otherhand, I actually like the snare on my TR-8 better than the one on this 808 because it is snappier and has a better attack transient. As far as the kick goes, I like them both as each has it's own character, you be the judge.

As far as the new TR-08 goes, I unfortunately don't have one to compare with. However, based on the demos I've heard, it sounds pretty much the same as the TR-8 to me...definitely not enough difference in tone to make me want to go buy one. You be the judge.

.WAV VERSION BELOW"

---------EDIT:-----------

I'm having difficulty uploading the file. For some reason after I upload it and save changes, it just will not show up as an attachment or appear in my post for some reason. After trying numerous times, it just won't let me attach the file. Sorry.

Weird. I had no problems when uploading the mp3 earlier. But honestly, the mp3 is 320kps which is the highest possible quality. Is there a file size limit? The .wav version is only around 14MB.

Last edited by kvmoore; 23rd November 2017 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: Trying to upload audio clip.
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Here's a comparison someone else did with the TR-8 and a TR-08.

Old 23rd November 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks. Can't hear much difference between TR-8 and TR-08 in that video.
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Does anyone know what the polyphony of the TR-08 is? I can't seem to find it on Roland's website.
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Ok, I broke the .wav into two smaller files which I attached in two separate posts. Evidently, Gearslutz must have a 10MB limit on attachments. That's my guess. Anyway, here's the first part:
Attached Files

TR808_VS_TR-8_(Let_The_Music_Play1).wav (6.93 MB, 1663 views)

Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Here's the second part:
Attached Files

TR808_VS_TR-8_(Let_The_Music_Play2).wav (7.36 MB, 1629 views)

Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

what's the latency on the tr08 and tr8
is it the same 15ms as on the ju/jx/jp ?

what a shame they didn't give at least one aux out on the tr08 ...
Old 23rd November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ok, I broke the .wav into two smaller files which I attached in two separate posts. Evidently, Gearslutz must have a 10MB limit on attachments. That's my guess. Anyway, here's the first part:
Thanks. The TR-8 has so much more highs in your clips. Also the bass drum lacks body. Might be adjusted or compensated with the attack knob of the TR-8. Since the TR-808 doesn't have an attack knob I thought. Open hiats and cymbal suck on both machines!! Too much 'shhhh'.
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

The TR808 sounds overdriven to my ears.
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi everyone. When the demo comparison was recorded, I used analog outputs of the TR-8 (not USB). I also have a WAV. version which I'm including in this post to eliminate mp3 compression from the equation. The main point I was trying to make with this demo is the differences between the cymbals and hats of my TR-808 and those of the TR-8. I agree with one of the posters above about tuning the cymbals on the TR-8. It is difficult and the truth is it will never match the tone of the 808's cymbals because they are fundamentally different in tone/character. Personally, I prefer the hats and cymbals of my TR808 to those of my TR-8. On the otherhand, I actually like the snare on my TR-8 better than the one on this 808 because it is snappier and has a better attack transient. As far as the kick goes, I like them both as each has it's own character, you be the judge.

As far as the new TR-08 goes, I unfortunately don't have one to compare with. However, based on the demos I've heard, it sounds pretty much the same as the TR-8 to me...definitely not enough difference in tone to make me want to go buy one. You be the judge.

.WAV VERSION BELOW"

---------EDIT:-----------

I'm having difficulty uploading the file. For some reason after I upload it and save changes, it just will not show up as an attachment or appear in my post for some reason. After trying numerous times, it just won't let me attach the file. Sorry.

Weird. I had no problems when uploading the mp3 earlier. But honestly, the mp3 is 320kps which is the highest possible quality. Is there a file size limit? The .wav version is only around 14MB.
I don't mean to criticize your methods when I report on what I hear in your comparison; I'm sure you're doing the best you can outside strict lab conditions to try to match the two instruments.

My only point is that to my ears, at least, the difference seems miniscule, enough that I suspect most people would be perfectly happy with the recreation of the TR-808 in the TR-8 or TR-08.

Personally, for drums I'm more of a Battery 4 user -- just way more flexibility in sound design than any particular drum machine, or soundset; so I'm probably not the target audience anyways.

Only thing I object to is the one comment someone made about the TR-808 sounding light-years "better" than the TR-8 -- that seemed excessive hyperbole, based on what I've heard.

Last edited by realtrance; 24th November 2017 at 02:52 AM..
Old 26th November 2017
lxj
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik View Post
This veers into voodoo territory, but the 808 has a subtle but distinctive push/pull groove. It is more noticeable in certain patterns (Sexual Healing comes to mind). I don't know from where that originates: it could be deliberately programmed in by the original engineers, it could be sloppy firmware programming, it could be due to delays in the electronics, it could be due to the timing variances in the clock source, or all of the above.
That's a myth.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Bought a TR-08. An interesting piece i must say and massaging patterns feels very similar to the og as far as the process is concerned.

However, what this box does to a purist, it increases the GAS for a yocto etc.. Because, even as the workflow and handling is acceptable, and sound is okay, things could improve further ”with the real thing”

At the end of the day, the TR-08 is easily ”good enough” for getting work done. And manipulating it makes using static samples feel like a wrong approach to 808 beat programming somehow.. Either the sounds interact in musical ways or the UI causes heavy placebo
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This veers into voodoo territory, but the 808 has a subtle but distinctive push/pull groove.
Quote:
myth

thought the same when i read that.
that's the Accent.

Last edited by whatever17; 26th November 2017 at 07:08 PM..
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxj View Post
That's a myth.
Can you post your timing charts of the instrument control lines for us to review?
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post
thought the same when i read that.
that's the Accent.
I've often wondered if the Accent is just creating an artificial sense of timing groove due to changing the envelope of the sound. I'm not sure of how that could be objectively measured without attaching test instrumentation to the 808.

Maybe record a pattern of straight 16th note snare hits, measure the time delta between the leading edge of each hit's transient, then record a second pattern with accents and see if the transients still line up?
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you post your timing charts of the instrument control lines for us to review?
Here is a good timing analysis. The 808 has little to no groove.
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...ve_a_long_and/

Can you post your timing charts of the instrument control lines for us to review, to back up the myth about it having groove?

My 909 is much sloppier than my 808.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search