The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 12th November 2017
  #601
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Given the production count numbers that have been leaked I don't think the TR-08 is gonna get rare anytime soon.
Old 12th November 2017
  #602
Gear Maniac
 
Bodde's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik View Post
It seems snappier, has a better timing profile, and the tone is "sharper" on the 08.
What do you mean by better timing profile? Can you give an example.

From what I have seen from videos it sounded thin to me. Sharper indeed but also a bit thin. Like there is not much body in the sound or something. Not sure how that is when you hear it in person?
Old 12th November 2017
  #603
Gear Maniac
In person. It has a LOT of body.
Old 12th November 2017
  #604
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
I don't think the TR-08 sounds bad.

However if it has "less body" to you on YT compared to a real 808 on YT I believe that impression won't change much when listening to one in person. Why would YT quality remove "body" from a spot-on emulation while not affecting the OG in the same way?

Furthermore, in my experience a sound difference that cannot be heard with the "degraded YT audio quality"' is not major enough so it couldn't be compensated for by talent and/or skills at least ten times. But that's another story.
Old 12th November 2017
  #605
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Given the production count numbers that have been leaked I don't think the TR-08 is gonna get rare anytime soon.
go on, spill the beans. how many? link?
Old 12th November 2017
  #606
Lives for gear
 
StepLogik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodde View Post
What do you mean by better timing profile? Can you give an example.
This veers into voodoo territory, but the 808 has a subtle but distinctive push/pull groove. It is more noticeable in certain patterns (Sexual Healing comes to mind). I don't know from where that originates: it could be deliberately programmed in by the original engineers, it could be sloppy firmware programming, it could be due to delays in the electronics, it could be due to the timing variances in the clock source, or all of the above. I'm sure when Roland was doing the ACB R&D on the 808 they studied it by putting a logic analyzer on the 808's CPU to get a precise timing profile of the data lines that were triggering the analog electronics.


The TR-8 seems to capture this timing groove to some extent, but I always felt like (again, very subjective, could be psychological) this timing groove was very static. It didn't quite "breathe" the way a vintage 808 does although it is very close. My opinion on this has also changed a bit from when I first bought the TR-8 to now. I'm a long-time 808 user (although I never personally owned one) so I know that machine fairly well (as does anyone who has listened to countless records made with it) but we're all still subject to various biases so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

The 08, on the other hand, seems to have that timing groove just slightly more nailed down. Maybe Roland is using a better randomization function in lieu of lookup tables for the timing profile, who knows... but it just seems to bounce a little better than the TR-8. The Egyptian Lover demo video shows classic patterns where that timing profile is on display.

Again, all subjective and speculation. YMMV.
Old 12th November 2017
  #607
Lives for gear
 
StepLogik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Given the production count numbers that have been leaked I don't think the TR-08 is gonna get rare anytime soon.
The folks trying to get a JU-06 right now might be disagree with your assessment
Old 12th November 2017
  #608
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik View Post
The folks trying to get a JU-06 right now might be disagree with your assessment
Roland only made a fraction of them compared to the TR-08, the unit with the highest production count of them all.
Old 12th November 2017
  #609
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post
go on, spill the beans. how many? link?
30.000 TR-08
18.000 SH-01A (6.000 per colour)
4.000 System-8

but as said before, it's only a leak, not an officially released information
Old 12th November 2017
  #610
Lives for gear
 

well that's not *many*.
i was hoping it would be a lot more (checks pockets...)
Old 12th November 2017
  #611
Lives for gear
 
Mushy Mushy's Avatar
 

I think if you really really want one, and I do, get in before Christmas. I suspect loads will be sold at that time.
Old 12th November 2017
  #612
Lives for gear
 

notice how many people are selling tr606's these days !
Old 12th November 2017
  #613
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
I think if you really really want one, and I do, get in before Christmas. I suspect loads will be sold at that time.
that will start me down the slippery road of wanting an sh01a.
Old 12th November 2017
  #614
Lives for gear
 
Mushy Mushy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post
that will start me down the slippery road of wanting an sh01a.
What a lovely road it is though.
Old 12th November 2017
  #615
Lives for gear
 

but aren't you worrying about doubling up with your 'vintâge' gear?
("i know what i like...")
Old 12th November 2017
  #616
Lives for gear
 
Mushy Mushy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post
but aren't you worrying about doubling up with your 'vintâge' gear?
("i know what i like...")
Yeah but I gotta collect them all
Old 12th November 2017
  #617
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
What a lovely road it is though.
More of a small, winding trail in the forest beside a rushing creek, to be accurate.....
Old 13th November 2017
  #618
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik View Post
I own the TR-8 but not (yet) the 09 and 08. In all the demos and my personal experience, I can't tell much difference between the Tr-8 and the 09. But the 08, which I've only heard online, seems to sound better than the 8 from limited exposure. It seems snappier, has a better timing profile, and the tone is "sharper" on the 08. All subjective, limited, personal opinion.

I plan to get an 08 as soon as I can check it out in person. They're going to be hard to find for a long time.
By all means get the TR-08. The only reason for getting the TR-8 is if you can't live without Scatter.
Old 13th November 2017
  #619
Lives for gear
 
markodarko's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
I can AGREE to that! I currently have both a TR8 and the real deal and when it comes to the hihats and cymbal, the difference is very significant (night & day).
That's quite interesting. Can you provide an A/B comparison track that we can listen to for those of us not fortunate to put our hands on an original 808?
Old 13th November 2017
  #620
Gear Maniac
 
Bodde's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLogik View Post
This veers into voodoo territory, but the 808 has a subtle but distinctive push/pull groove. It is more noticeable in certain patterns (Sexual Healing comes to mind). I don't know from where that originates: it could be deliberately programmed in by the original engineers, it could be sloppy firmware programming, it could be due to delays in the electronics, it could be due to the timing variances in the clock source, or all of the above. I'm sure when Roland was doing the ACB R&D on the 808 they studied it by putting a logic analyzer on the 808's CPU to get a precise timing profile of the data lines that were triggering the analog electronics.


The TR-8 seems to capture this timing groove to some extent, but I always felt like (again, very subjective, could be psychological) this timing groove was very static. It didn't quite "breathe" the way a vintage 808 does although it is very close. My opinion on this has also changed a bit from when I first bought the TR-8 to now. I'm a long-time 808 user (although I never personally owned one) so I know that machine fairly well (as does anyone who has listened to countless records made with it) but we're all still subject to various biases so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

The 08, on the other hand, seems to have that timing groove just slightly more nailed down. Maybe Roland is using a better randomization function in lieu of lookup tables for the timing profile, who knows... but it just seems to bounce a little better than the TR-8. The Egyptian Lover demo video shows classic patterns where that timing profile is on display.

Again, all subjective and speculation. YMMV.
Interesting. I thought it was just about programming. I have never owned the real 808 so I can't tell if it has a certain groove or randomness by its own. Maybe it's a flaw in the original that turned out to be a benefit or something? Or maybe it's the analog feel?
Old 13th November 2017
  #621
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
That's quite interesting. Can you provide an A/B comparison track that we can listen to for those of us not fortunate to put our hands on an original 808?
Yes. I can create one and post it the next time I get a chance to go in the studio and record them.
Old 13th November 2017
  #622
Here for the gear
 

picked one up last week. but the bass drum tone all the way left, decay all the way right, change it to long decay, put the gain a about 140, compression at 100, i set a pattern that start with 1 bass drum beat, and i added an accent on that, decay all the way to the right. set my pattern at 125 bps, and just set up a basic beat with come claps, high hat, some toms and such..... put it on my system with a 12" sub.... it took 2 1/2 measures (i left measure 2 empty, and the fill empty, so it does the beat, then 2 empty measures) for the initial bass hit to finally die. WOWWW the bass is HUUUGGEEEE on this thing. HUGE!!! can't wait to compose some longer stuff, and add even more bass lines on top with synth. its going to be silently deafening for those who said the bass sounds hollow, need to plug the sucker up to a real subwoofer system. you will be shaken to the core.
Old 13th November 2017
  #623
Lives for gear
 

Real subwoofer has a 15" cone, or two 12" per speaker.

With that you can achieve liftoff.
Old 13th November 2017
  #624
Gear Nut
 
peakssound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodde View Post
So after a few months what's the verdict: TR-8 or TR-08? And why?
TR-8 is a better "live style" option, since it's bigger and has more controls available. It also contains several different drum machines.

TR-08 has, to my ears, a better 808 sound and programming style (substeps!) and the feedback regarding timing is also a plus. It's also easier to make longer patterns on the TR-08, since it has multi-part pattern editing and variation copying. This essentially means you can create 32 step patterns easily, then copy to a variation for a 64 step (4 measure) pattern. It sounds simple, but on the TR-8 it's a little challenging to program beats beyond 2 measures (hence why it is more "playable" and functions better as a live drum machine).
Old 13th November 2017
  #625
Lives for gear
 

tr-8 hasn't got proper drum machine programming pattern memory.
it's that fad phase where you were supposed to make it up as
you went along.

total b*ll*cks. alright if you like DAWs i s'pose.
my eyesight's f***ed now, so the last thing i want to do is
sit in front of a cubase style timeline and play the same thing
back 500 times. didn't even like doing that on an atari.

Old 13th November 2017
  #626
Here for the gear
 

so, is there an easy way to do a full memory wipe of this thing to start at blank? delete all patterns, rhythms, fills, intros, everything? the only thing i could figure out was to select each step, and do a clear, but it seems like there would have to be an easier way, and nothing in the manual particularly jumped out at me...
Old 14th November 2017
  #627
Lives for gear
 
markodarko's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
Yes. I can create one and post it the next time I get a chance to go in the studio and record them.
Great stuff. Thank you!

Would you mind taking the time to tune the decay and the pitch of the TR-08 instruments to match the 808's though. I've seen some YouTube vid comparisons and they haven't even bothered to tune the sounds the same before beginning. Makes it impossible to tell then. Ya know?
Old 14th November 2017
  #628
Lives for gear
 

Every time you see the words Live and Performance from Roland, they skimped on the sequencer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post
tr-8 hasn't got proper drum machine programming pattern memory.
it's that fad phase where you were supposed to make it up as
you went along.

total b*ll*cks. alright if you like DAWs i s'pose.
my eyesight's f***ed now, so the last thing i want to do is
sit in front of a cubase style timeline and play the same thing
back 500 times. didn't even like doing that on an atari.

Old 14th November 2017
  #629
Lives for gear
 

Tr-8 vs tr808

Here's a quickie TR-8 VS TR808 comparison I did. Although it's not perfect, tried to match the levels and tuning as best as I could on the TR-8.
Attached Files
Old 14th November 2017
  #630
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
Great stuff. Thank you!

Would you mind taking the time to tune the decay and the pitch of the TR-08 instruments to match the 808's though. I've seen some YouTube vid comparisons and they haven't even bothered to tune the sounds the same before beginning. Makes it impossible to tell then. Ya know?
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump