The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
This is the joy of working with devices that are not class compliant, particularly through USB, yay.....

This is a pervasive, mysterious problem with Windows and USB, and comes and goes with no rhyme or reason.
Not really that. The reason? It has to do in part with the grounding schema of your computer. Computer manufacturers are part to blame also.

I like the earlier mention of an additional PCIe USB daughter card. I'm at a loss as to how that would work, but if it does I'm game. Luckily I do not have the issue but I would try that if I ran into the issue down the road with a new PC.
Old 17th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
I do this too and the noise eventually builds up using this recording method. Here's a solution to solve the problem. Get a copy of Adobe Audition (It doesn't have to be the latest version either. Any of the older versions from Cool Edit Pro 2.0 onward will do. Actually versions 3 and CS6 are the best.). Go through each track stem and clean up (eliminate) the noise with Adobe Audition. Use the "Noise Reduction" function. It works for me every time, and allows me to have nice clean tracks to mix in the end.
Actually I slapped some noise gates inserted to those drum tracks and it fixed the problem. Using noise reduction would color the sound and remove some frequencies from your drum sounds. You might not really notice them, but that's what happens. Whereas a noise gate just removes sound below a certain level. If you have a solo drum track then it will remove all the noise cleanly without coloring your sound.
Old 18th September 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies, but I am afraid this is ~fakenews

In Windows 10 driver updates for many devices are automatically downloaded and installed through Windows Update. The problem here is that somewhere between Roland and Microsoft they've either lost the association of the SH-01A and the TR-08 with the correct drivers, or don't have the drivers available for download.

Likely not "grounding schema of your computer" or other devices plugged into the PC

If/when anyone hits this - the Roland support folks responded quickly to my email and sent me the TR-08 driver, which worked great.

Also - I never owned a TR-808, but I'm *loving* the TR-08
Old 23rd September 2017
Lives for gear

Mine arrived finally and I like it.

I'm processing it as I would a regular 808 kit and it's responding very nicely indeed.

Using the audio out, so I'm not getting any noise.

Does the job perfectly.
Old 24th September 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Shifter View Post
Got my TR-08 today. Love it, except for the unbearable hum/noise with the USB connection to my computer. What's the point of having multiple outputs over USB if it's going to introduce lots of noise?

When I unplug the USB cable from my computer, it's dead silent working on battery power. That's nice, but I don't want to use DIN midi, and bought the TR-08 with the expectation of transferring audio and midi via USB.

Can't decide if I'm going to keep it or not.

PS - I know this hum/noise issue has been discussed in previous threads. I just find it incredibly annoying that Roland couldn't at least have a separate isolated power option, rather than having the power and data/audio transfer go through the same jack.
its a usb ground issue you have to split the data and the power over usb. its the exact reason why the beatstep pro comes with a stupid white plastic adapter, one side has a usb cable carring the data one side hase the power and one side goes to the beatstep, ground loop avoided. it happens to some people not all

get one of these.
.https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this particular cable works, i have bought others purporting to split data and power and the are now in the bin.

use one side for data to the synth and the other 2 sides plug into usb, one for power (the red plug) and one for midi/data (to pc) i have a usb hub psu which has my 4 boutiques plugged into it like this one....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-Ch..._89%3ARAVPower

means i can lose about 7 wall warts and just use usb cables.

i bought this stuff because i have the mx1 mixer and roland for some ******** reason ( i suspect underspec of the power supply/distro) made a 4 port usb mixer with only one powered usb socket so effectively you have to run the other 3 boutique synths off of batteries to allow all 4 to use the usb ports!! ********... hence the star power usb splitters,

frazer
Old 24th September 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilson View Post
I just got a SH-01A and a TR-08. I'm using Windows 10, and I get a message that "Windows could not find Device Driver" for either device (the Win10 device drivers are supposed to download automatically from MSFT). Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions?

the windows !0 driver issue is a pain also, i had the same issue with all my roland kit.... the drivers are here..

Microsoft Update Catalog

you can search the catalog for all sorts of drivers, download and install with you roland device attached.

frazer
Old 24th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
Actually I slapped some noise gates inserted to those drum tracks and it fixed the problem. Using noise reduction would color the sound and remove some frequencies from your drum sounds. You might not really notice them, but that's what happens. Whereas a noise gate just removes sound below a certain level. If you have a solo drum track then it will remove all the noise cleanly without coloring your sound.
That's true. Noise Reduction can color the sound IF you are not careful in how you tweak it. With Adobe Audition ' s advanced noise reduction function, I figured out a way to tweak the settings where it removes ONLY the noise in the noise sample profile without coloring the rest of the audio or leaving unwanted artifacts. It took me quite some time (years) to learn how to tweak it properly, but I finally got outstanding results once I figured it out.

Anyhow, use whatever works for you. If you prefer using gates instead and are satisfied with the results, that's fine.
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Noise gates? Can't you just record digitally via USB so there won't be any noise in the chain?
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourfun View Post
I mean I look at these video comparisons and think "am I going to hear £2k worth of difference when this is in the middle of a track". In fact, that is pretty much fundamental to the entire thing to me - is that hihat a £2k worth of difference.
Between a legit 808 and one of these new digital jobs?

YES, you WILL notice a difference. In a mix, there will be little doubt the extra money was worth every penny.

I had a TR8 once.........HAD a TR8
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Between a legit 808 and one of these new digital jobs?

YES, you WILL notice a difference. In a mix, there will be little doubt the extra money was worth every penny.

I had a TR8 once.........HAD a TR8
I can AGREE to that! I currently have both a TR8 and the real deal and when it comes to the hihats and cymbal, the difference is very significant (night & day). It's worth spending the extra money in that respect. I've heard other people's tracks where I actually liked the beats but they would've sounded better if they used different 808 hihats or cymbals. Now as far as my tracks, I don't like the sound of my TR8 hats and cymbals and think the hats from my real 808 (or even samples of them) sound MUCH better. However, I do like the TR8's 808 snare when tweaked and processed a certain way, as well as a few of the 808 percussion sounds. With that said, I would look at the TR-08 and TR8 as a complement to the TR808, NOT a replacement (provided you can afford the original).

For those who cannot afford the original 808 (Let's face it. The TR808 and TR909 are ridiculously expensive nowadays and most people cannot afford them.), there are analog clones that have better sounding more convincing 808 hihats and cymbals, like the Yocto and the Acidlab Miami. Otherwise, a TR8 or TR-08 in conjunction with some good quality samples of 808 hihats and cymbals (sampled directly from a real 808 of course) would be a nice combo. Or, use the TR8/TR08 as a sample source to create an additional sampleset to add to your existing arsenal of sampled 808 sounds in your personal library. There are some parameters on the TR8/TR08 that sonically make them more versatile than the original by giving you a wider variation of sounds that cover many of the differences in tone between several different original TR808s when compared side-by-side. Many of these differences are a result of different calibrated tunings or decay differences in some sounds as a result of analog component tolerances. These differences are covered in the TR8/TR08 with the addition of adjustable tuning for each instrument and adjustable/extended decay for the 808 kick and snare.

But yeah, IMO, the TR8/TR08 hihats and cymbals sound anemic and can't touch the hihats and cymbals from the real deal or analog clones, or even samples. Heck, even the hats and cymbals on the Novation Drumstation sounded better than the TR8's 808 hihats and cymbals to my ears. And, I can STILL notice these differences in the context of a mix. It DOES matter. Well, it does to me and my music.

Remember, whatever the TR8/TR08 lacks in tone on certain sounds can be made up for with samples. Then again, there's the sequencer, darn. If you use the 808ish sequencer, you would probably want it all in ONE box, good sound and all. Anyway, there are a LOT of options to weight when you're on a budget, each having their pros and cons.

Pick your poison, I suppose.

Last edited by kvmoore; 26th September 2017 at 05:48 AM..
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Noise gates? Can't you just record digitally via USB so there won't be any noise in the chain?
USB Audio? ...But you may as well just use a plugin.

Just the fact it's audio going down a cable imparts some tiny bit of mojo into a sound.

And then your pre amps impart a bit more mojo. And your converters a bit more, good or bad.

I'm actually digging mine just going straight into my audio i/o as a single channel and then some secret sauce and then using a reverb aux send with the low end cut out to around 250hz effecting the whole damn lot.

Perfectly fine to get a rough track going.

Then, when I'm happy with the patterns and vibe, just multitrack each channel separately after that. Easy.

Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Can't you just record USB audio into the computer and then still run each channel one-after-another from an audio out of your audio interface through the preamp? Or would you miss the noise and the noise gates for some true 90's feeling? (I don't remember 808's needing noise gates much, though)
Old 26th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Designed for 'trap' music. Yet unable to sequence a tuned bass drum line?
Fail.
Old 26th September 2017
Gear Maniac
The manual says it will tune the BD.
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Does it p lock all the parameters or only selected ones like BD tune? I wasn't aware they added it, the TR-8 I once had didn't have it
Old 3rd October 2017
Gear Guru

any news on when these are freely available..?

I keep checking the local music store but they keep saying accepting orders only..??!
Old 3rd October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
any news on when these are freely available..?
Yes, I want one for free too!
Old 3rd October 2017
Lives for gear

I couldn't find any info on the parameter locks someone mentioned above... Is it similar to the SE-02?
Old 10th October 2017
Here for the gear

would someone be able to confirm that this doesn't do parameter lock / indeed doesn't allow to sequence tuned bass drum lines? Might be better off getting a Volca Kick then
Old 10th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bcat View Post
would someone be able to confirm that this doesn't do parameter lock / indeed doesn't allow to sequence tuned bass drum lines? Might be better off getting a Volca Kick then
No it doesn’t, but it recieves MIDI. I automate the parameters using an Engine sequencer.
Old 10th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesign75 View Post
No it doesn’t, but it recieves MIDI. I automate the parameters using an Engine sequencer.
Thanks. Do you use the internal TR-08 sequencer at all, or do everything through the Engine?
Old 10th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bcat View Post
Thanks. Do you use the internal TR-08 sequencer at all, or do everything through the Engine?
I use the Engine to sequence all my gear

Last edited by sdesign75; 10th October 2017 at 10:02 PM..
Old 10th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesign75 View Post
I used the Engine to sequence all my gear
Sweet. Bizarre that of all the gear I own still the TE Pocket Operator has the most powerful & intuitive internal sequencer
Old 11th October 2017
Gear Maniac

anybody know if I can trigger my korg poly-61 arp with this drum machine?
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Addict
I just picked up one of these and I'm loving it. Great sounds and so much fun to play with. I've never had a real 808, so I've nothing to compare it to apart from my Korg Volca Beats and Pocket Operators, but it is great fun... and so easy to create fun and groovy beats on :-)
Old 22nd October 2017
I know it's possible to copy pattern from BASIC VARIATION A to B but is it also possible to copy pattern from 1st PART to 2nd PART?
Old 11th November 2017
Gear Maniac

So after a few months what's the verdict: TR-8 or TR-08? And why?
Old 11th November 2017
Lives for gear

TR-08. Because it doesn't hurt in the eyes .
Old 12th November 2017
Gear Maniac

haha...good one! True in a sense.
But I meant soundwise of course
Old 12th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodde View Post
So after a few months what's the verdict: TR-8 or TR-08? And why?
I own the TR-8 but not (yet) the 09 and 08. In all the demos and my personal experience, I can't tell much difference between the Tr-8 and the 09. But the 08, which I've only heard online, seems to sound better than the 8 from limited exposure. It seems snappier, has a better timing profile, and the tone is "sharper" on the 08. All subjective, limited, personal opinion.

I plan to get an 08 as soon as I can check it out in person. They're going to be hard to find for a long time.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search