The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
This question always pops up but IMO it's a bit irrelevant.
Hi Barfunkel,

probably you misinterpreted my "question"? It was rhetorical, addressing the "does an 808 sound 2000 UK pounds better than an TR-08?"-question...
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

I prefer drum synths to samples, and the boutiques at least have some real time controls and function like the originals.

I think I like the sound of the volca beat more though. Wish Korg would release a proper analog drum machine.
Old 12th September 2017
Got my TR-08 today. Love it, except for the unbearable hum/noise with the USB connection to my computer. What's the point of having multiple outputs over USB if it's going to introduce lots of noise?

When I unplug the USB cable from my computer, it's dead silent working on battery power. That's nice, but I don't want to use DIN midi, and bought the TR-08 with the expectation of transferring audio and midi via USB.

Can't decide if I'm going to keep it or not.

PS - I know this hum/noise issue has been discussed in previous threads. I just find it incredibly annoying that Roland couldn't at least have a separate isolated power option, rather than having the power and data/audio transfer go through the same jack.
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Shifter View Post
Got my TR-08 today. Love it, except for the unbearable hum/noise with the USB connection to my computer. What's the point of having multiple outputs over USB if it's going to introduce lots of noise?

When I unplug the USB cable from my computer, it's dead silent working on battery power. That's nice, but I don't want to use DIN midi, and bought the TR-08 with the expectation of transferring audio and midi via USB.

Can't decide if I'm going to keep it or not.

PS - I know this hum/noise issue has been discussed in previous threads. I just find it incredibly annoying that Roland couldn't at least have a separate isolated power option, rather than having the power and data/audio transfer go through the same jack.
I think it's a ground loop issue. I have no such issues. You might look into a USB isolation device?
Old 12th September 2017
When the TR-8 (Aira) came out, I was excited -- except for one thing: The very meager number of pattern memory slots. Roland tried to justify it by describing the machine as a live performance box that gets written over all the time, and that songs can be easily recorded to SAW so that pattern memory isn't really important. Whatever. The fact that the Boutiques have a decent number of pattern memory slots proves that Roland dropped the ball there.
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Its worth fixing up the ground loop in your system, there's so many cool devices made this way now.
Old 12th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

All boutiques have that. There have been many complaints about that already. It's a flaw in the design. What you have to do is power the TR-08 with an (iPhone) adapter. If you use the USB cable to computer to power it you have this annoying hum. I stopped using this USB on my TB-03 altogether. Very annoying for recordings. Like you any many others I don't understand why a big company like Roland makes it this way....
Old 12th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodde View Post
All boutiques have that. There have been many complaints about that already. It's a flaw in the design. What you have to do is power the TR-08 with an (iPhone) adapter. If you use the USB cable to computer to power it you have this annoying hum. I stopped using this USB on my TB-03 altogether. Very annoying for recordings. Like you any many others I don't understand why a big company like Roland makes it this way....
I'm aware that I can use something like an iphone adapter to power the unit, but again, that it makes using multiple outputs over USB impossible. I don't want to use DIN midi, and one of the main reasons I bought the TR-08 was to stream multiple outputs to Ableton.
Old 12th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
Its worth fixing up the ground loop in your system, there's so many cool devices made this way now.
I'm going to try to get a nice 12 socket power strip/surge protector today and run all of my gear from the same outlet to see if it makes a difference.

Just for the record, and not in response to anyone: I'm not trying to be whiny, it's just that the hum/noise when I run USB from my TR-08 to my computer is significantly audible, bordering unusable.
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

Ssssshhhh! One more word about noise issues with AIRA gear and some paramilitary forum force will kill us
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
the hum/noise when I run USB from my TR-08 to my computer is significantly audible, bordering unusable.
Look into a USB isolator
Old 12th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Look into a USB isolator
Any decent makes?? On amazon i see crazy things!!
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

This one is decent...

You didn't say it should be affordable
Old 13th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm aware that I can use something like an iphone adapter to power the unit, but again, that it makes using multiple outputs over USB impossible. I don't want to use DIN midi, and one of the main reasons I bought the TR-08 was to stream multiple outputs to Ableton.
I agree with you. I never use USB recording with my TB-03 so for me it is not so much a problem to use an adapter to power it. But for a drum module it is a problem if you want to record on multiple tracks. Then it is unusable because of the annoying loud hum. So that's a deal breaker.

I have plenty of (USB) gear but I only have this hum problem with the Boutiques. Sadly the only solution for this is to buy such an isolator I guess. That's means extra investment if you want to use the Boutiques USB. Just send the check to Roland!!

Let us know how it goes. I am curious myself how you solve it.
Old 13th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
When the TR-8 (Aira) came out, I was excited -- except for one thing: The very meager number of pattern memory slots. Roland tried to justify it by describing the machine as a live performance box that gets written over all the time, and that songs can be easily recorded to SAW so that pattern memory isn't really important. Whatever. The fact that the Boutiques have a decent number of pattern memory slots proves that Roland dropped the ball there.
Yeah, it's just beyond stupid. And they could easily fix it via a firmware-update, you could maybe use the Scatter-wheel as some kind of selection-interface.
Old 13th September 2017
VST
Lives for gear

I had bad USB noise with my Minilogue too. It's not just a Roland issue, it's a USB issue.
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

If it's an USB issue and not a Korg + Roland (+ place your other profit maximizing brands here) issue - why does Abstrakt Instruments have no issue to build an isolated USB port into the Avalon Bassline, for example?

If it's an USB issue why is it only with those brands who don't care while those who care just build their machines with an isolated USB port so there is no issue?
Old 13th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
If it's an USB issue and not a Korg + Roland (+ place your other profit maximizing brands here) issue - why does Abstrakt Instruments have no issue to build an isolated USB port into the Avalon Bassline, for example?

If it's an USB issue why is it only with those brands who don't care while those who care just build their machines with an isolated USB port so there is no issue?
Yes that's it. Because they want to make it so cheap they cut down on things like this and other things. I wouldn't mind if they would make the Boutique series a bit more expensive and make it more perfect.
Old 13th September 2017
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:

Because the Avalon doesn't carry audio over USB.
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VST View Post
Because the Avalon doesn't carry audio over USB.
I don't think that matters - it is not because audio is being carried over USB that it causes the noise ... that's not how the noise appears.

He is right - it's a design fault ... or a crap USB computer connection?

Last edited by usedtohaveajuno; 13th September 2017 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Jumping to conclusions
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

I've never had this problem with my boutiques. I use the USB cable that came with my E2 on my boutiques, it looks to be shielded.
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

This is why MIDI uses optoisolators, no ground loops.
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
This is why MIDI uses optoisolators, no ground loops.
My USB MIDI interface and Blofeld (using USB) had issues with introducing noise into my recording chain but then I installed a PCI USB card and it went away. Don't use USB ports connected straight to the motherboard for audio.
Old 13th September 2017
VST
Lives for gear

IDK, it just sounds so easy to address on the instrument side, maybe it's solely on computer side as Rogue mentioned.
Old 14th September 2017
I have a TR-09 and have been recording a song using the "Ghetto Multiple Outs" method (i.e. solo'ing each drum part individually and recording the analog output as separate takes with the drum machine slaved to the DAW via MIDI sync). I can't use USB outputs because my DAW uses ASIO and I can't use ASIO4All because in will bring more latency on my audio interface. The Good: The sync is pretty tight, I don't really notice any drift in the rhythm. The Bad: Increased noise when you mix them all together. Maybe I should use gates. Oh well, there's no way to really win here.
Old 14th September 2017
Lives for gear

TR-09 owner here, never had any problems with noise over USB, and using ASIO4ALL with multiple soundcards without issues on both desktop and laptop.

Maybe I'm just lucky
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
I have a TR-09 and have been recording a song using the "Ghetto Multiple Outs" method (i.e. solo'ing each drum part individually and recording the analog output as separate takes with the drum machine slaved to the DAW via MIDI sync). I can't use USB outputs because my DAW uses ASIO and I can't use ASIO4All because in will bring more latency on my audio interface. The Good: The sync is pretty tight, I don't really notice any drift in the rhythm. The Bad: Increased noise when you mix them all together. Maybe I should use gates. Oh well, there's no way to really win here.
I do this too and the noise eventually builds up using this recording method. Here's a solution to solve the problem. Get a copy of Adobe Audition (It doesn't have to be the latest version either. Any of the older versions from Cool Edit Pro 2.0 onward will do. Actually versions 3 and CS6 are the best.). Go through each track stem and clean up (eliminate) the noise with Adobe Audition. Use the "Noise Reduction" function. It works for me every time, and allows me to have nice clean tracks to mix in the end.
Old 15th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
To be honest: Some laptop-only kids outperformed my production skills long ago. It doesn't matter if I'm gonna spend 2500€ on an 808 or 400€ on some digital emulation. They'll still get the gigs and the chicks while I'll still be sitting here at the office - with "groovy" only being the name of some programming language I use to set up my build pipelines.
LOL this rings too goddamn true
Old 16th September 2017
Here for the gear

I just got a SH-01A and a TR-08. I'm using Windows 10, and I get a message that "Windows could not find Device Driver" for either device (the Win10 device drivers are supposed to download automatically from MSFT). Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions?
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

This is the joy of working with devices that are not class compliant, particularly through USB, yay.....

Try a different USB input on your computer, if you have more than one. Something else is living on that USB port in Windows and preventing Windows from detecting the plugged-in device.

This is a pervasive, mysterious problem with Windows and USB, and comes and goes with no rhyme or reason.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search