The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-folie View Post
From the video above it doesn't look like the kick is tunable because when tune is selected the kick button led is off. This would correspond to tr-09 under the hood functions. But Roland could add this feature in the future if they wanted to I guess.
Well the kick is being tuned via midi CC in this clip, so apparently the kick is tunable via that route.. I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to do it via the panel though.

Old 9th September 2017
Gear Addict

Yes, curious about that, too. We'd need confirmation of an actual owner.
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, curious about that, too. We'd need confirmation of an actual owner.
Surely it will be detailed in the midi implementation sheet if so...
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Addict

Right. Of course tuning via front panel would be so much more fun. As some guys in the US already got their 08 it shouldn't be long before we know exactly... The little box looks absolutely gorgeous
Old 9th September 2017
Quote:
Right. Of course tuning via front panel would be so much more fun. As some guys in the US already got their 08 it shouldn't be long before we know exactly... The little box looks absolutely gorgeous
and it sounds HUGE!

Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Snare and toms can't be for some weird reason.
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Snare and toms can't be for some weird reason.
The secret might be that they have their tuning controls on the front panel already
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by payt View Post
The secret might be that they have their tuning controls on the front panel already
Ha, indeed!
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by payt View Post
Not the snare though. There was never a tuning function implemented for the 808 snare, even on the TR8. It certainly would've been nice if there was though.
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrombergCarlson View Post
Yes some sounds can be TUNED via the machine. BD included.
Thanks. This is exactly the confirmation we all needed. The ACB engine appears to be the same as the one on the TR8, at least pertaining to the 808 sounds.
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
Not the snare though. There was never a tuning function implemented for the 808 snare, even on the TR8. It certainly would've been nice if there was though.
Yeah, you do enough pitched snare stuff and it feels weird not to have that functionality.
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks. This is exactly the confirmation we all needed. The ACB engine appears to be the same as the one on the TR8, at least pertaining to the 808 sounds.
They lied to us!
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
It's the code, it's as simple as that. Not only do they have to try and model the original, but have to do it within the processing power and memory they have available to them to hit a market price point.

I mean the originals have free running oscillators for example, which is why every single 909 closed hi-hat sounds different ... the oscillator is at a different phase each time it is started. It's very difficult to model that original analogue circuit in digital hardware, never mind account for temperature, humidity differences etc and the electrical resistance that rust and patina builds up on the tracks over time.
The 909 hats are digital.

No cycling oscillators there
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's been 6 months at last since I kicked the tr8 to the curb (never missed it a second)

I'm surprised that I don't remember but I would have sworn you could tune the snares
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
They lied to us!
I guess the 707 upgrade was the "Sister Kissin'" consolation prize, for those who shelled out for a TR8 and didn't sell it in time (Never keep anything that plastic for more than 2 years, it WILL lose it's value)

But wait they made you PAY for that didn't they?

Those cheeky pricks

Haven't tried the new analog yet, but as of now I'll say it again: The JDXI is the only decent product they've released in YEARS

Looking around my studio I notice that all the Roland products are old, I have no new Roland gear, my "latest" Roland product is JX8P....and that may even be a little too "Late" as well

Have they released anything half decent since the Alpha Juno 2?

Oh! The R8! That's the last decent thing they made and I own. LOVE me some R8! (Power Drums USA beeyotch!)
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
The 909 hats are digital.

No cycling oscillators there
It's a 6-bit sample through analogue filters. Ive got the Tiptop Audio HH909 module, which allows you to turn the filter off and the raw sample sounds nothing like the 909 hats everyone knows.
Old 10th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrombergCarlson View Post
Yes some sounds can be TUNED via the machine. BD included.
Great! Can´t wait for the 08 to hit Europe. Boooooooooom

(But also curious about the System 80 modular 808. Similar form factor, completely analogue and from the 1st video it´s got that transient snappyness)
Old 10th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It seems that the hihats are much closer to the original than on the TR-8.

No effects and physical external outs on the tinier one, though.

Perhaps the TR-8 will be updated with these tweeks, since it's engine is now 44.1, 48 and 96kHz compatible (v1.50).
If I'm not mistaken, the Aira are 96kHz while the digital Boutique are 44.1kHz.

Coincidence? I think not.

Last edited by Poumtschak; 11th September 2017 at 03:45 PM..
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear

I think the hats were just tuned differently in that second vid ... well, that is to say ... they sounds to me like they were tuned lower, and that may be what the major perceivable difference was ... can't really compare in that case.
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poumtschak View Post

Perhaps the TR-8 will be updated with these tweeks, since it's engine is now 44.1, 48 and 96kHz compatible (v1.50).

Just FYI, The TR-09 ,TB-03 (and presumably TR-08) boutiques record at 24-bit/96kHz. The earlier Boutiques recorded at the lower rate you're thinking about.
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poumtschak View Post
It seems to the hihats are much closer to the original than on the TR-8.

No effects and physical external outs on the tinier one, though.

Still preferring the sound of the TR-8 to the TR-08 in these videos.
Old 11th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songtalk View Post
Alright if you can pitch the sounds, I will get one. Without that feature, it would be pretty weak.
Agreed without tuning I wouldn't have bothered buying one. But still it would be much more practical if they made it hardware knobs like the TR-8 instead of having to go at a sub menu.

Here is a good comparison with the real 808. The TR-08 has much more highs and sounds less warm and thinner to me.

Old 11th September 2017
I mean I look at these video comparisons and think "am I going to hear £2k worth of difference when this is in the middle of a track". In fact, that is pretty much fundamental to the entire thing to me - is that hihat a £2k worth of difference.
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodde View Post
Here is a good comparison with the real 808. The TR-08 has much more highs and sounds less warm and thinner to me.
Snap - that's what is missing for me as well ... the entire body of the sound, minus the kick of course.
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourfun View Post
I mean I look at these video comparisons and think "am I going to hear £2k worth of difference when this is in the middle of a track". In fact, that is pretty much fundamental to the entire thing to me - is that hihat a £2k worth of difference.
That's a different question though.....
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

Does it sound 400€ worth of a difference compared to some samples everyone has already?
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

It would sound almost identical to the real thing, if the real thing cost $400.

Thankfully the real thing costs thousands of dollars, putting it out of the reach of most of the feeble and unwashed who inhabit the Intertubes these days. So it doesn't sound anything at all like the real thing. It only sounds like the real thing if you can't afford the real thing. Otherwise it sounds like a binatone organ on auto-accompany mode.

All of this means that those of us smart and good-looking enough to have the real thing can sit up here in our chairs, which are kind of like those chairs tennis umpires sit on, laughing down at the serfs below us and throwing down the odd piece of cake, pencils, or maybe playing cards or shiny baubles, to the baying masses below us, as they worship at our splendour
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

To be honest: Some laptop-only kids outperformed my production skills long ago. It doesn't matter if I'm gonna spend 2500€ on an 808 or 400€ on some digital emulation. They'll still get the gigs and the chicks while I'll still be sitting here at the office - with "groovy" only being the name of some programming language I use to set up my build pipelines.
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

Amen my friend ... amen
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Does it sound 400€ worth of a difference compared to some samples everyone has already?
This question always pops up but IMO it's a bit irrelevant. Well, maybe relevant to some but to nothers not so much. If you use a DAW for sequencing and everything, then a HW drum machine might be more like a chore than something that allows you to create better music and enjoy it more.

Not everyone is like that though. Some people like jamming with gear, some people play live etc. In those cases the UI might matter as much or even more than the sound. Not sure about the boutiques as they are quite small, but the TR-8 has a really, really good UI. You can just take it to a club, get drunk, not have any preprogrammed patterns and still play a good gig. I have personally done so. If I had a bunch of samples instead, even if they sounded better than the TR-8 (and they probably do, if they're quality samples of the original machines, recorded through a high end signal chain), I'd still very likely use the TR-8 for that. If I wanted to use the samples, I'd need something to play the samples with as well. Then you start to think of the options, something that would have a good UI like the TR-8, in a small lightweight package. A laptop, Ableton Live and Push is maybe one option but it's not perfect and difficult to use like the TR-8, which with some practice becomes very intruitive as all the controls are hardwired and you can use it almost without looking. Some kinda HW sampler maybe, but those often have more complex UI's than the TR-8 and the good ones are expensive.

The boutiques are a bit strange though, being so small. Never used them so hard to say how the UI on them is.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search