The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
its velocity curve / vca envelope curve to closely tune it to the sound of a real 808 you may be comparing it to or using it with.
What the what now?
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
What the what now?
Under the hood menu parameters for fine tuning - its what we were told.
Gain staging per voice etc.
Old 23rd August 2017
Quote:
Ok,

7.It sends Din + USB Midi
din as in dinsync to sync my 606 or din as in midi din?
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxspace View Post
din as in dinsync to sync my 606 or din as in midi din?
Sorry Din Midi not dinsync - I should have clarified.
Old 23rd August 2017
Quote:
Sorry Din Midi not dinsync - I should have clarified.
ok. no worries. thanks.
Old 23rd August 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
"Plot idea: 97% of the world's scientists contrive an environmental crisis, but are exposed by a plucky band of billionaires & oil companies."
The more devious plot twist is where the 97% ends up being something totally made up which has been debunked over and over, just like all the "adjustments" to past data which makes it possible to claim a current environmental crisis. The real data doesn't lie...
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Oh right. Like the tr09 then. Or more? I want finer control. Deeper action. Condition knob. I WANT THE FUNK
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

I hope it has fine tune under the hood....please.
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
Oh right. Like the tr09 then. Or more? I want finer control. Deeper action. Condition knob. I WANT THE FUNK
I'd need to hound Dustin at Roland with more questions as I am going by memory on the info given last night and not all under the hood functions had been covered. I work elsewhere in the Arts and Kitchen/Culinary fields so better information would be gleaned elsewhere.
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'd need to hound Dustin at Roland with more questions as I am going by memory on the info given last night and not all under the hood functions had been covered. I work elsewhere in the Arts and Kitchen/Culinary fields so better information would be gleaned elsewhere.
You get this Dustin here RIGHT NOW and you tell him there are DEMANDS that MUST BE MET before the firmware ink is DRY.

Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2017
Soooooo...has a release date been announced yet?
Old 3rd September 2017
Deleted User 
October same as SH-01A
Old 3rd September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
October same as SH-01A
October what?
Old 3rd September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
October what?
October 2017
Old 3rd September 2017
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB View Post
October 2017
thank god...
Old 3rd September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does one of these "under the hood" functions include tuning for the bassdrum? If it doesn't, I would not be surprised because it's not a feature found on a real TR808 but then again, neither is compression.

Just curious.
Old 3rd September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
Does one of these "under the hood" functions include tuning for the bassdrum? If it doesn't, I would not be surprised because it's not a feature found on a real TR808 but then again, neither is compression.

Just curious.
No bass drum tuning - it is in many respects far more true to the original TR-808 feature set and sequencer wise than the TR-8 is. Compression, gain staging, vca response curve etc I do believe is but as stated it was a demo of 3 boutique devices and each had time limited attention. So the under the hood features where kind of glossed over but it was made quite clear the like the original I do believe the snare and kick cannot be tuned.
Old 3rd September 2017
Deleted User 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB View Post
October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
thank god...
Yeah, this is Roland, not Behringer.
Old 4th September 2017
Gear Head

FYI Guitar Center online has them actually in stock and is shipping now. I just received my tracking number from them.
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No bass drum tuning - it is in many respects far more true to the original TR-808 feature set and sequencer wise than the TR-8 is. Compression, gain staging, vca response curve etc I do believe is but as stated it was a demo of 3 boutique devices and each had time limited attention. So the under the hood features where kind of glossed over but it was made quite clear the like the original I do believe the snare and kick cannot be tuned.
I kinda figured that was the case. None of the TR08 audio/video demos reveal a detuned or repitched 808 kick either. Thanks for answering my question. I appreciate it.
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No bass drum tuning - it is in many respects far more true to the original TR-808 feature set and sequencer wise than the TR-8 is.
That's true but I think 808 bass drum tuning and also the 808 cowbell tuning is quite essential (at least for me). That's actually one thing I don't like about the original 808. The bass drum and cowbell can't be tuned. The 808 bass drum (with open decay) is tuned to a low G and the 808 cowbell is tuned to a C#G# fifth interval.

I always tune my bass drum to the main pitch of the song that I am making.
Say you want your song to be in A or A flat than having that bass drum tuned to G is very annoying and conflicting to the pitch of the song. Same goes for the 808 cowbell. I also tune that one to the main pitch. It is more usable and pleasing for me that way.

So that's one thing that the TR-8 does that the 808 and the TR-08 can't do.
I found out that if you set the tuning knobs of the TR-8 in the middle you have the exact 808 tuning. From there you can adjust it.
Old 5th September 2017
Where are the decent fan made desk top backgrounds for roland boutique series at!! geez!
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodde View Post
That's true but I think 808 bass drum tuning and also the 808 cowbell tuning is quite essential (at least for me). That's actually one thing I don't like about the original 808. The bass drum and cowbell can't be tuned. The 808 bass drum (with open decay) is tuned to a low G and the 808 cowbell is tuned to a C#G# fifth interval.

I always tune my bass drum to the main pitch of the song that I am making.
Say you want your song to be in A or A flat than having that bass drum tuned to G is very annoying and conflicting to the pitch of the song. Same goes for the 808 cowbell. I also tune that one to the main pitch. It is more usable and pleasing for me that way.

So that's one thing that the TR-8 does that the 808 and the TR-08 can't do.
I found out that if you set the tuning knobs of the TR-8 in the middle you have the exact 808 tuning. From there you can adjust it.
I just ran across this video. It looks like you CAN tune the cowbell in the TR-08 and possibly the bass drum too! It seems like there is tuning, panning, and decay parameters available for each instrument just like in the TR8, except the TR-08 requires this to be done "under the hood" via menus.

Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

This is good, but parameter locking the pitch and decay changes is not possible, right?
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Can I sync my Juno 60's arp to this baby?
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Maniac
Alright if you can pitch the sounds, I will get one. Without that feature, it would be pretty weak.
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Maybe the best looking of all of the Boutiques.
Old 9th September 2017
Would be great if the Tuning fonction works for the kick ...in fact it would be awesome

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Maybe the best looking of all of the Boutiques.
At least it's visually and ergonomically the most balanced. Boutiques are full of terrible design decisions dragged by the area occupied by the dreadful touch strips.
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Addict

From the video above it doesn't look like the kick is tunable because when tune is selected the kick button led is off. This would correspond to tr-09 under the hood functions. But Roland could add this feature in the future if they wanted to I guess.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search