The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 21st August 2017
  #421
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 

I'm no troll let's leave that right there please, there's a couple of people yourself included that took offence to his statements, truth hurts I know but that's all it was.

See my above post about my 909. They cost a lot, we know.

You said it's a 20 year love affair, that's a fair period to save for something you truly want. Tenner a month would have bought you what you want had you started 20 years ago.

Blinky used the logic very early on, people will spend 400 on this but won't save for the real thing, if you / anybody can spend 400 on a fake toy then you certainly could save for the real deal if it was a true desire. It would just take a lot longer.

If I was skint again but still making music the last thing I'd be looking at would be a bloody tr08 or anything remotely similar, get maschine and use its vintage libraries and drum synths , miles more bang for the money.
Old 21st August 2017
  #422
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
Than why were so many moved and slightly offended by his posts? It wasnt just me.

He is clearly a troll and if you cant see that than you might be one yourself.

This entire back and forth was started by me off handedly lamenting that an 808 has always been out of my price range. The fact that he took it so far shows that he is a troll. Why else would he make so many inferances based on a random internet post about the costs of life and gear.

I dont judge or assume anything ever about strangers thats for people who think they are smarter and more wise than they actually are. We are all in different circumstances, its a fact, and the dumber folks act as if this isnt the case because it simplifies their world view.
i'm sorry i suggested that really wanting something meant you'd work to have it and actually have it. all this judgement is coming from you. i pointed out that you have a room full of gear after you lambasted me for making an accusation that i never made.

this is a forum for worshipping material excess for christsake
Old 21st August 2017
  #423
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Lately I have been to a "poor" country where no one even can have a bank account and it's pretty obvious that some folks over here can't imagine that places like these actually do exist.

The "very poor" people who live there don't know that they most definitely will have lost their habitat by the end of this century, caused by the man-made climate change - yet another thing some folks can't imagine that it does exist.

I wonder if some folks over here would tell a street child in a 3rd world country face2face that they just don't want a home hard enough and that this is the reason they are homeless?!?

You simply don't understand how lucky you are if you think those who can't have what they want just don't want it hard enough, that's for sure. Don't judge about others who were not lucky like this. Already their children might be the last generation of their entire people while you judge them badly for not being rich enough (while their culture might be richer than yours BTW).

Attachments: 1. Very young music performing girls, very rich in culture, very poor money-wise, who are gonna lose their habitat due to a 6 degree temperature rise until the end of the century. 2. Me with a traditional T'Nonggong drum and another traditional percussion instrument around the neck (made from brass)

I don't know why that photo always gets turned to the side upon upload?
Attached Thumbnails
Roland TR-08-img_1563.jpg   Roland TR-08-img_1495.jpg  
Old 21st August 2017
  #424
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
I wonder if some folks over here would tell a street child in a 3rd world country face2face that they just don't want a home hard enough and that this is the reason they are homeless?!?
they could live in an 808. are you for serious? homeless people aren't buying synths.
Old 21st August 2017
  #425
Lives for gear
 

yeah ffs i had to walk past an se1x for 350quid and not be able
to buy it when i had no money to eat, m****f****.. that was
a bummer.

hey roland, get real. sell 1 million (this time) of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCJReSDmqkg

bcs it really is the nuts, and i remember now.
arthur baker says it: it's just a great musical instrument.

then blinky can be blinky808 and forget all of that 909 stuff.

more than that, it's a synthesiser. goes beyond the definition
of a drum machine.

think, roland, that's 900 million.
Old 21st August 2017
  #426
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post
then blinky can be blinky808 and forget all of that 909 stuff.
*cough cough*

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12805495-post13605.html
Old 21st August 2017
  #427
Gear Addict
 

A lack of empathy itself and a lack of understanding underlying reasoning that expresses empathy, e.g. 'reading emotional reasoning between the lines', also exclusively reasoning in a pure logical sense without comprehending the underlying meaning of a subject, in this case empathy for the poor or temporarily broke, could mean a well known disorder called asperger autism or syndrome. Either that or it´s just pure provocation/trolling/bragging bcs owning the OG.

Really weird that a thread about an upcoming drum machine we all crave for can evolve this way but anyway, I´m really looking forward to more audio and video snippets of the TR-08. I have used the OG in a studio some years ago and the small boutique could be great if they´ve managed to get the sounds right, which so far nobody can tell for sure. What seems to be missing in the videos so far is the same as in the TR-09 videos, the first hard hitting transient peaks are just not there. But there´s hope
Old 21st August 2017
  #428
Lives for gear
 

um yep.. i started at the wrong end of the thread.
nice rig.

i'm actually with blinky on this: - apart from the current prices,
which really are too high; nearly none of us can justify 3k for
a drum machine, *even if* it's going to be your main sound source.

i actually did buy my 808 when i was homeless lol, talk about priorities..
i had a part-time job where i earned around 30quid a day, and didn't
want to waste what i could put by hanging out with mates down at
the pub and buying puff. i also got ju60 and 101 during the same
period - prices were way way lower then -
and i did go without and save up for things. and that's how you do it,
unless you've got a great job and secure lifestyle. and you appreciate
it all the more.
anyway, 808/ju60 long gone. that was stupid, but wdf..

i think anyone talking about using software and a computer instead,
as equivalent, is kidding themselves. it might sound the same and do
the job, but the whole trip is quite different, and you have to use
a computer and go through that, which kills it, unless you can still
tolerate sitting in front of a computer(erm, sitting in front of a..)

Last edited by whatever17; 21st August 2017 at 10:10 PM..
Old 21st August 2017
  #429
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by el-folie View Post
A lack of empathy itself and a lack of understanding underlying reasoning that expresses empathy, e.g. 'reading emotional reasoning between the lines', also exclusively reasoning in a pure logical sense without comprehending the underlying meaning of a subject, in this case empathy for the poor or temporarily broke, could mean a well known disorder called asperger autism or syndrome. Either that or it´s just pure provocation/trolling/bragging bcs owning the OG.

Really weird that a thread about an upcoming drum machine we all crave for can evolve this way but anyway, I´m really looking forward to more audio and video snippets of the TR-08. I have used the OG in a studio some years ago and the small boutique could be great if they´ve managed to get the sounds right, which so far nobody can tell for sure. What seems to be missing in the videos so far is the same as in the TR-09 videos, the first hard hitting transient peaks are just not there. But there´s hope

Please don't put a bad name on asperger autism.

Autism doesn't mean there's a "lack of empathy", that idea has been proven wrong long time ago.
Old 21st August 2017
  #430
Lives for gear
 
swiller's Avatar
Old 21st August 2017
  #431
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
who are gonna lose their habitat due to a 6 degree temperature rise until the end of the century.
I'm always amazed how some individuals (often they are designated as experts or climate scientists - I'm not refering to you personally, Eigenwert) can predict the temperature raise in about 80 years time and at the same time they are unable to forecast the weather or the temperature a handful of days in advance.
If something is told and repeated over and over again, people tend to believe it and take it for granted, right?!
Old 21st August 2017
  #432
Lives for gear
 
raffor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgit View Post
I'm always amazed how some individuals (often they are designated as experts or climate scientists - I'm not refering to you personally, Eigenwert) can predict the temperature raise in about 80 years time and at the same time they are unable to forecast the weather or the temperature a handful of days in advance.
If something is told and repeated over and over again, people tend to believe it and take it for granted, right?!
How about statistic and calculations based on past and current events. After all, they predicted a solar eclipse today. But what do they know.
Old 21st August 2017
  #433
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
How about statistic and calculations based on past and current events.
Well, apparently nor statistic or calculations can reliably help them with short term weather forecast. So the same means are suited to give an 80 years forecast?! How comes?
But I guess this doesn't relate to the original topic of this thread, so maybe better we stop this.
Old 21st August 2017
  #434
Lives for gear
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgit View Post
I'm always amazed how some individuals (often they are designated as experts or climate scientists - I'm not refering to you personally, Eigenwert) can predict the temperature raise in about 80 years time and at the same time they are unable to forecast the weather or the temperature a handful of days in advance.
If something is told and repeated over and over again, people tend to believe it and take it for granted, right?!
Amazing that you think that what you are saying is based in logic.
Old 21st August 2017
  #435
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Amazing that you think that what you are saying is based in logic.
Feel free to have a go yourself - without just repeating what you've been told.
A critical, thoughtful discussion is never wrong. Definitely better than taking everything for granted, as soon as it's repeated often enough.
Old 21st August 2017
  #436
Deleted User 
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgit View Post
Feel free to have a go yourself - without just repeating what you've been told.
A critical, thoughtful discussion is never wrong. Definitely better than taking everything for granted, as soon as it's repeated often enough.
Definitely but there is a degree of false equivalence in your reasoning and besides i think that the short term weather reports often are fairly accurate and today it is not forecasted by individuals but by computers.
Old 21st August 2017
  #437
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
I can see both sides of view having myself saved up and searched for years before being able to own a 808,909,303, SP1200 etc.. these units have always been expensive (ok now ridiculously expensive) but when compared to Minimoogs and other grail synths this site praises, for some reason people always complain these x0x units are over priced.. not saying they aren't but it's the same for all groundbreaking vintage objects (instruments, vehicles, furniture etc).

perhaps this is because most people believe sample packs & VSTs are a valid alternative to drum machines. Truth is drum machines are often under rated in modern setups (when imo they are the foundation/pulseline of house, techno, hip-hop and basically all electronic music). An 808 is so much more then just the sound.. it has a groove of it's own..

But all that being said.. house & techno were built by low income inner city pioneers who manages to get 303s, 808s & 909s on the cheap way before they got hyped. If it weren't for their affordability at the time, electronic music would probably not be the same and tons of cult records/artists would not have existed.

Thankfully today though there are all kinds of options for all kinds of budgets, sort of a golden age for gear lovers
Old 21st August 2017
  #438
Lives for gear
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgit View Post
Feel free to have a go yourself - without just repeating what you've been told.
A critical, thoughtful discussion is never wrong. Definitely better than taking everything for granted, as soon as it's repeated often enough.
Here in this thread about a little drum machine?

Nah, especially since you're already obviously well convinced of your point of view, and if you aren't a scientist (and I really doubt you are with your approach to logic and evidence) I'm not particularly keen to hear your propaganda as I've heard it all before. Repeatedly.

But thanks!
Old 21st August 2017
  #439
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
if he really wanted an 808, he'd have one. instead he has all that other stuff. we all make choices. really wanting an 808 and getting one in the grand scheme isn't impossible. it just takes really wanting one, enough to make it happen.

but whatever, this tr-08 will be perfect for those who really want an 808 but don't have one.
no it won't, it doesn't sound close enough to one.. and the part about saving 4k for a drum machine well can I just say that yes most could probably save that money up over time, but parting with such a large sum when you have family is really not very selfless is it..?
Old 21st August 2017
  #440
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
no it won't, it doesn't sound close enough to one..
You say that in jest
Old 21st August 2017
  #441
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Amazing that you think that what you are saying is based in logic.

LOL..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
You say that in jest
it sounds similar but not exact...that do it for you..?
Old 21st August 2017
  #442
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgit View Post
I'm always amazed how some individuals (often they are designated as experts or climate scientists - I'm not refering to you personally, Eigenwert) can predict the temperature raise in about 80 years time and at the same time they are unable to forecast the weather or the temperature a handful of days in advance.
If something is told and repeated over and over again, people tend to believe it and take it for granted, right?!
Shore Erosion. Sea Level Rise. Limestone. Carbon Cycle. Glacial Ice Core Samples. Chromatography. Thermometers.

Let's do the Reverse.

Jupiter-8. Doesn't exist. I have never seen one or touched one. People talk about it all the time. Some claim they hear them, see them, or even own them. It's all fake though.
Old 22nd August 2017
  #443
Lives for gear
 
SonicBern's Avatar
 

Spoiler alert...



Old 22nd August 2017
  #444
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
it sounds similar but not exact...that do it for you..?
I wanted to say surely you jest but I didn't want to offend you.





Old 22nd August 2017
  #445
Lives for gear
 
raffor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgit View Post
Well, apparently nor statistic or calculations can reliably help them with short term weather forecast. So the same means are suited to give an 80 years forecast?! How comes?
But I guess this doesn't relate to the original topic of this thread, so maybe better we stop this.
maybe you should start by googling the difference between weather and climate. maybe then you will understand.
Old 22nd August 2017
  #446
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
please don't get the science/meteorologist expert started, I my cheeks are already hurting from laughter..
Old 22nd August 2017
  #447
Here for the gear
I can predict the proportion of coin tosses that will come up heads over thousands of flips very precisely, but I have no idea what any given coin toss will produce.

Do you find that hard to believe too?
Old 22nd August 2017
  #448
Lives for gear
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcullina View Post
I can predict the proportion of coin tosses that will come up heads over thousands of flips very precisely, but I have no idea what any given coin toss will produce.

Do you find that hard to believe too?
Funny, that was the first example that came to mind for me as well.
Old 22nd August 2017
  #449
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgit View Post
Feel free to have a go yourself - without just repeating what you've been told.
A critical, thoughtful discussion is never wrong. Definitely better than taking everything for granted, as soon as it's repeated often enough.
low vs high frequency components in time series data.

This is the minimal level of knowledge needed for a serious discussion:
https://www.amazon.com/Time-Theory-M.../dp/1441903194
Old 22nd August 2017
  #450
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Given this is a site dedicated to people who worship / hoard electronic musical instruments I don't think it's far off the wall at all to say something like that at all.

People spunk hundreds of quid / dollars on gear they rarely get attached too, that's losing money month after month, or don't really need. It's a realistic suggestion to say that an alternative is to put the money aside for bigger purchases that might well not depreciate and bring a greater attachment because they've got a certain mojo.
Look at all the people returning MPC X's because they didn't have any idea it wasn't going to be productive to them. Or any other gear. As more low cost synths are being produced, impulsive uninformed buying is becoming common. I actually think that higher prices and more complete features are a better product model and will discourage the buy now/troll forums later mentality.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump