The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 21st August 2017
  #391
Lives for gear
 
jbuehler's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
if you really wanted an 808 you could have gotten one a decade ago when they were like $1200.00
You are crazy man! How can you say this to anybody in good conscience?
Old 21st August 2017
  #392
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
Exactly how I feel. Seems a little pretentious, nothing unusual for this site.
i'm sorry it's pretentious to remark that saving up money for something is a thing.
Old 21st August 2017
  #393
Lives for gear
 
jbuehler's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
i'm sorry it's pretentious to remark that saving up money for something is a thing.
Troll master in the house. You implied a lot more than just saving money.
Old 21st August 2017
  #394
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
There's not even any currency stated but we are not short of expertise claiming that the price in that unknown currency is not right.
Old 21st August 2017
  #395
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
um... even with just a stereo output?
Egyptian lover been gigging for decades with an OG unit using just a mono output..


just saying
Old 21st August 2017
  #396
Gear Maniac
 
Bodde's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
No, it does not sound close. But, besides the sound, it is as close to what everbody wants and a very good price point.
True for interface and workflow it is what people want, but not the sounds. for most people if you read all the comments. If the sounds are not to your liking than the great workflow also means nothing.

But I agree the Drumbrute has almost everything on my wish list besides the right sounds...
Old 21st August 2017
  #397
Lives for gear
 
VennD68's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
if someone really wants something, they figure out how to do it. is saving a few grand really that difficult?
When you have a mortgage, house insurance, car insurance and registration, medical cover and expenses, property taxes and budgeting for unexpected home repairs (we had to have the entire furnace replaced a few months back for example) then hell yes it can be ****ing difficult.
I don't use a line of credit either and know how to live within my means .
If I can't afford it I can't afford.
I at the very least have luxury of a roof over my head, gear I can use, a garden large enough to grow my own vegetables and so on. A large number of people are not that lucky and have far bigger struggles than you or I do.
In the States it isn't all that hard to be one major health diagnosis away from losing it all either.
I know people this has happened to.
Old 21st August 2017
  #398
Deleted User 
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
i have an 808 and you really want to EQ things and add some reverb or something to the hi-hats.
this is a very important tip. but it's no good applying it if you can't get past that 4 bar loop first.
Old 21st August 2017
  #399
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
this is a very important tip. but it's no good applying it if you can't get past that 4 bar loop first.
but A/B is a 4 bar loop. i'm doing it wrong?
Old 21st August 2017
  #400
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Christ, no one has a right to be able to afford all the stuff they want.

If you want it and can afford it, save up and buy it.

if you want it but can't afford it, make do with the other choices available to you, of which you have many. No one is being criticized for not being able to afford stuff because they have other priorities in life.

Only you know what is affordable or not, in the context of your own circumstances of affordability - whether that's living week to week on state benefits or because you're trying to save money to move from a four to a six bedroom house ...

No one has a right to everything. You can't always get what you want
Old 21st August 2017
  #401
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
forgive me for putting forth the idea that if you want a real 808 you save money for it. i'm sorry i have offended people for making such a wild and horribly damning suggestion.
Old 21st August 2017
  #402
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
When you have a mortgage, house insurance, car insurance and registration, medical cover and expenses, property taxes and budgeting for unexpected home repairs (we had to have the entire furnace replaced a few months back for example) then hell yes it can be ****ing difficult.
I don't use a line of credit either and know how to live within my means .
If I can't afford it I can't afford.
clearly you can't afford it:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/myst...21334-vennd68/
Old 21st August 2017
  #403
Lives for gear
 
VennD68's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
A lot of that has been accrued over 20 odd years (some of it saved for over - 12-24 month time frames) and/or purchased from selling older vintage kit to fund new purchases.
Whether or not I can or can't afford it isn't the point.
Currently I can't so I use the gear I have got. I am still fully aware of the fact that for other people this is not so easy and understand that finances aren't easy to manage under certain circumstances.
I had a period in my life when I couldn't work at all, had two pancreatic surgeries and a bowel resection along with a tumor over my fifth cranial nerve and I had to sell everything in my studio to make ends meet.
So perhaps you should shut your pie hole before using my studio set-up to pass value judgements.
I might add that the other gear I've used column was actually gear I've owned that had to be sold to cover bills and expenses.
Old 21st August 2017
  #404
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
Not cool man. Just because someone owns gear they can't have faced struggles to get it or keep it? Or perhaps face future problems? Let's play nice here.
Old 21st August 2017
  #405
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Not cool man. Just because someone owns gear they can't have faced struggles to get it or keep it? Or perhaps face future problems? Let's play nice here.
if he really wanted an 808, he'd have one. instead he has all that other stuff. we all make choices. really wanting an 808 and getting one in the grand scheme isn't impossible. it just takes really wanting one, enough to make it happen.

but whatever, this tr-08 will be perfect for those who really want an 808 but don't have one.
Old 21st August 2017
  #406
Lives for gear
 
VennD68's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
if he really wanted an 808, he'd have one. instead he has all that other stuff. we all make choices. really wanting an 808 and getting one in the grand scheme isn't impossible. it just takes really wanting one, enough to make it happen.

but whatever, this tr-08 will be perfect for those who really want an 808 but don't have one.
No I wouldn't at these inflated market prices.
Between the TR-8 and some good 808 sample libraries I see little need in shelling out that sort of money.
I regret parting with my Machinedrum to this day though which has a far more desirable appeal to me. I certainly covet it far more than a real 808 but am eyeing of RYTM MkI prices before and once the MkII hits the streets.
Old 21st August 2017
  #407
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
No I wouldn't at these inflated market prices.
Between the TR-8 and some good 808 sample libraries I see little need in shelling out that sort of money.
I regret parting with my Machinedrum to this day though which has a far more desirable appeal to me. I certainly covet it far more than a real 808 but am eyeing of RYTM MkI prices before and once the MkII hits the streets.
clearly you never wanted an 808. you could have bought one a decade ago for less than the Machinedrum.

what you are really saying is "i see no point in buying a real 808 because i can not personally justify it's cost"

you are still buying gear, just stuff you can justify the cost for...
Old 21st August 2017
  #408
Lives for gear
 
antto's Avatar
blinky909: some people in this forum are not from the US
some people are even from.. you're aware of the existance of those so-called "poor" countries, right?
believe it or not, there are people who live there too, and some of them can even communicate in english
some of them happen to like cars, computers, games, photography, music, toys..

now, you'll say (in fact, you alread did) that those people don't belong to this forum

have you ever reached a point where you had nothing to eat, empty pockets?
some people have
some of those people have managed to get up again, but that leaves a sort of scar
the lesson here is that you don't always realize that you're just one step away from hitting the bottom

sorry for saying such dramatic words here, but perhaps you should show a bit of understanding for other people
or this forum should include a clear warning that "poor" people are not allowed
Old 21st August 2017
  #409
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by antto View Post
blinky909: some people in this forum are not from the US
some people are even from.. you're aware of the existance of those so-called "poor" countries, right?
believe it or not, there are people who live there too, and some of them can even communicate in english
some of them happen to like cars, computers, games, photography, music, toys..

now, you'll say (in fact, you alread did) that those people don't belong to this forum

have you ever reached a point where you had nothing to eat, empty pockets?
some people have
some of those people have managed to get up again, but that leaves a sort of scar
the lesson here is that you don't always realize that you're just one step away from hitting the bottom

sorry for saying such dramatic words here, but perhaps you should show a bit of understanding for other people
or this forum should include a clear warning that "poor" people are not allowed
if you can't afford food, buying a tr-08 is a stupid thing to do.
Old 21st August 2017
  #410
Lives for gear
 
VennD68's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
clearly you never wanted an 808. you could have bought one a decade ago for less than the Machinedrum.

what you are really saying is "i see no point in buying a real 808 because i can not personally justify it's cost"

you are still buying gear, just stuff you can justify the cost for...

Just stop being argumentative for the sake of it.
Since when did you become a spokesperson for what i do and don't want ?
Kindly stop the defacto speaking on my behalf in quotes please.
Quite frankly your whole initial attack based on my studio list here was a total low brow call.
If you want to be an asshole do it on another persons time, then again don't.
I am sure they have more pressing life issues to attend to that don't involve pandering to your ego and self righteousness.
You are thankfully about to be added to my very limited ignore list.
Bravo you've actually achieved something.
Old 21st August 2017
  #411
Lives for gear
 
antto's Avatar
being in an unfortunate country also makes the prices of some of these toys higher
you have some nice (used) toys circulating in the US, in the UK and around Germany, NL, BE, FR, etc.. in your respective local trading markets

but if i want to obtain one, i would typically pay a bit more than you would
because those toys are not common in my country, and i basically have to buy from your countries

on the other hand, the musical toys i can buy here locally are mostly related to oriental/ethnic music, which are used on weddings
and.. that doesn't happen to be what i like
Old 21st August 2017
  #412
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
Quite frankly your whole initial attack based on my studio list here was a total low brow call.
i'm sorry i used a link to your studio to show that you have a wealth of gear yet complain you can't afford a real 808. gearslutz is laugh out loud stupid.
Old 21st August 2017
  #413
Lives for gear
 
antto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909
if you can't afford food, buying a tr-08 is a stupid thing to do.
i'm not looking into buying a tr-08
i happen to have a yocto

but that's not the point
the point is, i find your tone kinda arrogant (or i don't know how to describe it)
you're talking to me as if i am poor, as if that is by birth, and lasts forever

there are ups and downs in life, as i said, sometimes a person may hit the bottom
but his dreams don't necesarily vanish after that

you don't have to reply to this, especially if it'll be with that same tone
basically, you didn't understand my previous post at all
Old 21st August 2017
  #414
Lives for gear
 
jbuehler's Avatar
 

blinky909, you are clearly a robot. Good luck with the rest of your time amongst humanity. Hopefully you can enjoy yourself once in a while.
Old 21st August 2017
  #415
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
blinky909, you are clearly a robot. Good luck with the rest of your time amongst humanity. Hopefully you can enjoy yourself once in a while.
i use my 808 to make electro, so it should all make sense.
Old 21st August 2017
  #416
Gear Head
 

I've never used a real 808, but my Rytm loaded with samples is alot more flexible in every way compared to the TR-8. Had that one for about a week, sounded way too clean for what I was expecting.

Imagine how cool it would be if Roland actually pushed the envelope and began innovating again, instead of peddling these uncreative and restricted re-issues.
Old 21st August 2017
  #417
Deleted User 
Guest
i made an egyptian lover electro type track on my 808

i called it eejit, eejit
Old 21st August 2017
  #418
Lives for gear
 
Mushy Mushy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
i made an egyptian lover type track on my 808

i called it eejit, eejit
Sums up the thread really.
Old 21st August 2017
  #419
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
Troll master in the house. You implied a lot more than just saving money.
No mate he didn't, he's blatantly put it as simple as possible: if you really want something you'd save for it and if you don't save for it then you obviously don't really want it. He's not insulting you under a cloak of words so don't go there.

I sold a 909 years ago, I'd like another but I won't save for it as I don't think it's justifiable to me at its current price and based on my current family commitments, you see?

Same goes for an 808 but its never gonna happen as I'm happy with my substitutes supplied via samples.
Old 21st August 2017
  #420
Lives for gear
 
jbuehler's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
No mate he didn't, he's blatantly put it as simple as possible: if you really want something you'd save for it and if you don't save for it then you obviously don't really want it. He's not insulting you under a cloak of words so don't go there.
Than why were so many moved and slightly offended by his posts? It wasnt just me.

He is clearly a troll and if you cant see that than you might be one yourself.

This entire back and forth was started by me off handedly lamenting that an 808 has always been out of my price range. The fact that he took it so far shows that he is a troll. Why else would he make so many inferances based on a random internet post about the costs of life and gear.

I dont judge or assume anything ever about strangers thats for people who think they are smarter and more wise than they actually are. We are all in different circumstances, its a fact, and the dumber folks act as if this isnt the case because it simplifies their world view.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump