The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioroid View Post
TR-09 is listed at $399 USD
TB-03 is listed at $349 USD

Those were always the list prices from the beginning.

With all the extra controls, you'd think that the SH-01A would cost more than the TB-03, but maybe this shows the TB-03/TR-09 are probably $50 overpriced. Also manufacturing could be cheaper now since they probably are using the same chips internally.
OK I got that wrong... However, in the EU both initially were differently priced and now cost the same (while still in production). So the price policy doesn't seem to be bound to production costs, obviously. Opposed to some stuff offered by some smaller companies where they ditch production if no one wants it any more for the asking price.
Old 16th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
all these little boutiques and volca's, it's all Korgs fault I reckon, if they had never come up with 'Gadget Idea' we wouldn't have all these tiny shrinky dink machines with no seperate outs..

what makes me laugh is all these super pro producers talking about these tiny boxes in front of their 100k monitoring & giant 200k mixing consoles..

I guess you could buy multiple units, one for each drum sound, prolly still cheaper than a real 808..
Good post. I fully agree. Still love my TR-8 and I don't think the Boutique TR-08 and 09 adds anything. At least not for me. Also to me they both don't sound better than the TR-8.
Old 16th August 2017
I love the form factors of the Boutique drum machines but from a practical "it has loads of sounds in one box" front, the TR8 is what I'm settling on. I may even get rid of my Volca beats as its sound range is pretty nicely covered by the 606 side of the TR8.

I'm not overly fussed about things having huge amounts of outs or whatever. It's a choice between able to afford something or not... and I'd rather afford something. I'm starting to see acts I like weave things like these into their setups so I don't think there should be any qualms.
Old 16th August 2017
Lives for gear

I was seriously looking at pulling the trigger on either a tr-09 and 08 and just felt kind of let down by the missed opportunities. That feeling amplified when doing an indepth comparison vs. the TR-8. Even if they had simply made the kick fully analog, or expanded the voice manipulation options, or even just brought them up to par with modern sequencers... I think the TR-8 is going to be remembered as one of the best modern drum machines, despite being digital.
Old 16th August 2017
Lives for gear
Do they still charge for the 7x7 expansion for the TR-8?
There's a little cost there, although the stock TR-8 has the bases covered compared to the 08 and 09 anyway...
Old 16th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
OK I got that wrong... However, in the EU both initially were differently priced and now cost the same (while still in production). So the price policy doesn't seem to be bound to production costs, obviously. Opposed to some stuff offered by some smaller companies where they ditch production if no one wants it any more for the asking price.
Why are you even commenting when you live in Atlanta?
Old 17th August 2017
Lives for gear

Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You may be surprised but most people on this planet cannot afford everything they want.
if someone really wants something, they figure out how to do it. is saving a few grand really that difficult?
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
is saving a few grand really that difficult?
Wow.....
Old 21st August 2017
Quote:
if someone really wants something, they figure out how to do it. is saving a few grand really that difficult?
Impossible..? No. Difficult..? For some of us I'd say YES.
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
Wow.....

must suck to live a life that saving a $100 a month is impossible. where are they going to get the $400.00 for the TR-08?
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow.....
Given this is a site dedicated to people who worship / hoard electronic musical instruments I don't think it's far off the wall at all to say something like that at all.

People spunk hundreds of quid / dollars on gear they rarely get attached too, that's losing money month after month, or don't really need. It's a realistic suggestion to say that an alternative is to put the money aside for bigger purchases that might well not depreciate and bring a greater attachment because they've got a certain mojo.

Just because you can't afford something doesn't mean you need to criticize people who can afford things - it's all relative after all ... a hundred quid on a Volca sample could be a family eating for a month after all.

He didn't say "let them eat cake".
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Given this is a site dedicated to people who worship / hoard electronic musical instruments I don't think it's far off the wall at all to say something like that at all.
i think what people who say "i have always wanted one" really mean is "having that is not important to me so i never bothered to save up for it"

having an 808 was important to me so i saved up and bought one. i love it. it makes noises that make me smile and it's fun to use. boom.
Old 21st August 2017
Gear Maniac
I can't wait to get my TR-08, personally. Looks super legit for live use.
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songtalk View Post
I can't wait to get my TR-08, personally. Looks super legit for live use.
um... even with just a stereo output?
Old 21st August 2017
Deleted User 
Quote:
He didn't say "let them eat cake".
folk don't eat cake, they just choke on it.
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
folk don't eat cake, they just choke on it.
Ah, you've been to Greggs again
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why not? 808 sounds just fine pretty much unprocessed - that would sound great live!
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Is it really that hard to save 4.5K? No.

Is it really that hard to pay 4.5K for an old drum machine? Yes; because I have family and bills and don't know what the future holds.

I think some of you are crazy. In fact I know your are crazy.

The very existence of the boutique line is to get guys like me to buy. I am litteraly their target market yet I havent bought a single one due to them always being crippled when compared to their 30 year old full versions.

If i want crippled I just stay in the box in my DAW. There are a gazzilion 808 drum kits to dload and all are just as servicable to me as the TR8 or 08; I need something closer to the original. Arturia Drumbrute is damn close so I know Roland can do it.

Also, I am a huge man with huge fingers. The tiny stuff is for tiny people.
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

On which post 1990 recording does a full 808 drumset sound good fully unprocessed (even without any reverb)?
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
On which post 1990 recording does a full 808 drumset sound good fully unprocessed (even without any reverb)?
He's talking about live use - from the information available we don't know if that's playing to his dog/goldfish/snake in his lounge, or doing The Royal Albert Hall.
Old 21st August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
There are a gazzilion 808 drum kits to dload and all are just as servicable to me as the TR8 or 08; I need something closer to the original. Arturia Drumbrute is damn close so I know Roland can do it.
You really think the Drumbrute is close? doesn't sound like 808 at all to me
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jeff Mills says yes.

Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why not? 808 sounds just fine pretty much unprocessed - that would sound great live!
i have an 808 and you really want to EQ things and add some reverb or something to the hi-hats.
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
Jeff Mills says yes.

lots of reverb on that 909. and a 909 is not an 808.
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

How come that people over here think they can tell other people (which they don't know) how hard it is (for those unknown people) to save 4.5k?
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it really that hard to save 4.5K? No.

Is it really that hard to pay 4.5K for an old drum machine? Yes; because I have family and bills and don't know what the future holds.

I think some of you are crazy. In fact I know your are crazy.

The very existence of the boutique line is to get guys like me to buy. I am litteraly their target market yet I havent bought a single one due to them always being crippled when compared to their 30 year old full versions.

If i want crippled I just stay in the box in my DAW. There are a gazzilion 808 drum kits to dload and all are just as servicable to me as the TR8 or 08; I need something closer to the original. Arturia Drumbrute is damn close so I know Roland can do it.

Also, I am a huge man with huge fingers. The tiny stuff is for tiny people.
so you've bought nothing but won't buy anything because it's not the thing you really want but can't justify spending the money on.

if you really wanted an 808 you could have gotten one a decade ago when they were like $1200.00
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
How come that people over here think they can tell other people (which they don't know) how hard it is (for those unknown people) to save 4.5k?
an 808 does not cost 4.5k.

and you are on a site called gearslutz. clearly everyone here is about getting more gear. if you aren't into getting more gear there are other forums out there that are about moaning about not being able to afford gear and complaining that all the collectors are keeping the instruments out of the hands of real musicians.
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly how I feel. Seems a little pretentious, nothing unusual for this site.
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodde View Post
You really think the Drumbrute is close? doesn't sound like 808 at all to me
No, it does not sound close. But, besides the sound, it is as close to what everbody wants and a very good price point.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search