The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALESIS-ION View Post
TOTAL deal-breaker for me. I need at least 8 analog outs for studio use. And no, the outputs over USB is NOT the same thing, as that feature will not work 6 years from now anyway.

I hate when companies skimp on analog outs!

For this reason, the R8 is one of their best. (after the 808 & 909)
the R8mk2 is the bee's knees and works well with the 606, 808, and 909.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland TR-08-shelf.jpg  
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The original CAN do something that the new boutiques cannot, and that is give you 10 bonafide analog outputs. (no, outputs over USB is not the same thing)
there are 11 individual outputs on the TR-808 and 10 on the TR-909. the hi-hats are separate on the 808 which equals SUPER fun weird stuff.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Tea View Post
Yeah I agree individual outs are important and a missed opportunity here. For portability and quick usability the new instrument is cool, but like I said in my post take the original one into a studio and that's a whole different sound world ...

Quote:
TOTAL deal-breaker for me. I need at least 8 analog outs for studio use. And no, the outputs over USB is NOT the same thing, as that feature will not work 6 years from now anyway.

Question for studio use. Can't someone just come up with the beats using stereo outs as a guide and when ready dump each instrument to a separate track?
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
Individual outputs are definitely a niche market for people who already have a mountain of gear in a studio that doesn't move much. It's great if you have mixers, patch bays, and a huge collection of guitar pedals.

Otherwise, it's not going to be able to run on battery power and the portability would be compromised.
2 things:

- when i play live, my gear is on for hours before i play. those batteries would be dead by the time i took the stage.

- a 16 channel mixer with a nice EQ can be had for $200.00 and another $75.00 for quad efx processor... if you want to add some reverb to the clap and snare with separate EQ'ing, dial in the kick in so it doesn't overload the system in the room, and process the hi-hats for some nice washy liquid movement... it doesn't take a mountain of gear, just some planning and some cables.

i know, ridiculous things for a live electronic musician to what and use.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Question for studio use. Can't someone just come up with the beats using stereo outs as a guide and when ready dump each instrument to a separate track?
please do that while playing live in front of an audience.
Old 11th August 2017
Quote:
Yes totally of course that would work especially with a computer-based set up. But I think with the vision here is you put it into an old mixing desk EQ each bit just the way you like it add effects sends - and then you're playing the mixing board like an instrument. It's not just with the individual outs allow the instrument to do -- it's also what the individual outs allow you to do *to* the instrument.

And also all the spontaneous interaction that happens while you're moving all those knobs and failures and faders and nodding your head to the beat.

Recording each track separate and then aligning it to a click is anything but spontaneous, sound wise though yeah you can get some amazing sounds...

This video (although 909) is the basic concept - bringing parts in and out - EQ - and the form of the track happen at the mixer - individual outs make this so much more powerful for the artist creating the track - live or in studio

Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Well I preordered the TR-08 and I think Im gonna cancel. I simply cannot see how this will help me. I truly wish it could and love the concept but its still just not enough. Amazingly, neither the TR8 or 08 actually deliver what so many of us want. I can see why folks start to despise Roland after a while, they purposefully don't give all the bells and whistles and handicap products. So sad, I always wanted an 808 (20 years now) and Im gonna have to wait.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

time someone made a generic device to bring all these usb outputs
into the analog domain. usb in, patchbay out. could that be done
cheaply?
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
Well I preordered the TR-08 and I think Im gonna cancel. I simply cannot see how this will help me. I truly wish it could and love the concept but its still just not enough. Amazingly, neither the TR8 or 08 actually deliver what so many of us want. I can see why folks start to despise Roland after a while, they purposefully don't give all the bells and whistles and handicap products. So sad, I always wanted an 808 (20 years now) and Im gonna have to wait.
if you always wanted one, why do you not already have it?
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post
cheaply?
a 200 laptop and a 500 dollar audio card.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
please do that while playing live in front of an audience.
I see, not everyone needs that though. For my music I could easily work with stereo outs live. For me in the studio it would be way more handy to have multiple outs saving time doing dumps.

Quote:
Yes totally of course that would work especially with a computer-based set up. But I think with the vision here is you put it into an old mixing desk EQ each bit just the way you like it add effects sends - and then you're playing the mixing board like an instrument.
I get a bug to do this from time to time. It would not be as spontaneous but you could dump the beats to separate tracks and direct out them to the mixer then record back in. Extra steps added I know but I think this thing lists at $350 USD? The original sold for almost ten times that in 2017 USD's.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
if you always wanted one, why do you not already have it?
I could never stomach a musical purchase over 500$ in my first 20 years of music. Ive done pretty well with it so far but I often wish I had bigger pants back in the beginning and Ive just never had a lot of money despite working very hard. That is the way she goes and I'm not mopey at all, its just the truth.

And so the current price of the 808 is still out of my price range. If anyone wants to sell, PM me, but its probably too much.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
[...]

If you know the differences in technology or even just the name of the chips the System-8 uses; I'm more than happy to correct myself.
System 8 uses 3 "BMC" ("Behavior Modelling Chips").
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
2 things:

- when i play live, my gear is on for hours before i play. those batteries would be dead by the time i took the stage.

- a 16 channel mixer with a nice EQ can be had for $200.00 and another $75.00 for quad efx processor... if you want to add some reverb to the clap and snare with separate EQ'ing, dial in the kick in so it doesn't overload the system in the room, and process the hi-hats for some nice washy liquid movement... it doesn't take a mountain of gear, just some planning and some cables.

i know, ridiculous things for a live electronic musician to what and use.
I could do that with just the USB port, a cheap laptop, and a DAW with any number of cheap or even free plugins and EQ's that I can load in one click and weighs next to nothing.

If you are willing to go to the trouble of lugging all that stuff around and setting it up, what's another audio interface with 4-10 assignable outputs going to cost you to do a small work-around?
Old 11th August 2017
Quote:
I get a bug to do this from time to time. It would not be as spontaneous but you could dump the beats to separate tracks and direct out them to the mixer then record back in. Extra steps added I know but I think this thing lists at $350 USD? The original sold for almost ten times that in 2017 USD's.
Sure, point taken. You can get creative whatever path you choose.

Some time work-arounds yield unexpected surprises too.

The 'live PA' approach can be fun on a small scale too - cheap mixer, a few gadgets, roll tape and go off ...

proftea
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
hate the idea of running outputs into daw. standalone, switch it on,
plug in, get analog outputs.
Old 11th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post
cheaply?
Roland should just make a USB breakout box accessory for the Boutiques and Airas that offers analog outputs and proper power adaptor input.
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
Roland should just make a USB breakout box accessory for the Boutiques and Airas that offers analog outputs and proper power adaptor input.
+1

An breakout strip that includes:
1. Individual Outs
2. Power adapter input (USB power bypass)
3. Extra bank of knobs for hidden functions (Pitch Control, instrument mute/solo switches).
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
He is the perfect guy to do it.

Have you seen this? It is worth your time ...

proftea
Animals talking like its a party while the 808 and Egyptian lover are performing together
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
It just upsets me that the can fit all of those CV jacks on the SE-02 but can't even put 1/8 individual outs on the boutique drum machines. I know it would make them cost a little bit more to build but then I might seriously consider them. I'm sick of modern drum machines only having stereo outputs in anything other than the high end. I mean the Drumbrute can have them why not other cheaper drum machines?
The marketing geniuses say that adding a 5 cent socket will add $1,000 to the purchase price. Because they know best and you are just a stupid consumer.

If you asked a musician what you wanted from a 808 clone, you'd get a different answer.
Old 12th August 2017
Gear Maniac
Well, I have a TR-09 on the way to sort of test the boutique waters.

Always preferred the 909 overall to the 808 ...but if I like the TR-09, I'll get the TR-08 and most likely the SE-02 as well.
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
+1

An breakout strip that includes:
1. Individual Outs
2. Power adapter input (USB power bypass)
3. Extra bank of knobs for hidden functions (Pitch Control, instrument mute/solo switches).
I wouldn't hold my breath. Meanwhile if anyone could do it this guy could (or Uli).

Primova Sound
Old 12th August 2017
Such a shame they couldnt have just charged a bit more and gave it 4 1/8 outputs, even working within those limitations would work.

Youd be better petitioning Uli for an 808 clone...but if that ever happened the internet would implode
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

Watching Egyptian lover demo it was a bit cringe.
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That won't work if you have a Windows machine. With the way the USB streaming is implemented (well at least in the TR8 anyway), the TR8 IS THE INTERFACE and you can't aggregate it unfortunately. You would have to record into the laptop first, then switch interfaces and reroute the outputs, then playback your recorded tracks.

This means the idea of using a laptop with an audio interface as a breakout box in realtime isn't possible with the AIRA's, unless it's a Mac (maybe?). I don't know if the boutique's USB implementation is any different or not but I'm thinking they're the same in this respect. Please correct me if I'm wrong. More than likely, this method as a breakout box solution would be much more expensive than the instrument itself.

Funny that you mentioned this. I started a thread on this a while ago concerning the concept of a Roland breakout box for the TR8:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...akout-box.html

Please Roland, make one!
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

You can aggregate using Windows with Asio4All... it can be really glitchy though.
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
You can aggregate using Windows with Asio4All... it can be really glitchy though.
I've tried ASIO4ALL a while back but could never get it to work. I guess I'll try it again.
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

seem to remember some problem with asio4all: not multi-client
or something. *any* software problems and setup is a drag these
days.

looks like manufacturers are telling us to mix ITB but a lot of people
want to use hardware mixers (lol, forgetting the huge noisefloor
you get with a few old boxes running. so then you need noisegates
or midi mutes - the benefits of 'vintage'..add all the leads, the patchbay,
huge fun, super-intuitive, setting it all up.)

maybe they will bring out a Boutique mixer - if they are thinking along
those lines, a hands-on 'rebirth'/legacy series. the aira mixer looks
fairly big - what's that 'size of a piece of paper' roland tenet i read
about? mixers can take up a lot of space, if you just want to work
at one desk, for example. can you have it flat? mounted vertically?,
which way do the connections face? etc.

and then, with boutique, you've got the powering issues: 5v volt
mini psu's all over the place with their spindly leads. if you really
want analog outs, you've got all the cables to cart around as well..

so maybe a Boutique mixer would need to be more of a power and
digital mixing affair, with some sort of buss for the analog breakout.
convenience and immediacy for quick setup use, and offering options
to get analog outs for use with analog mixer. (or...assignable inserts or
something..)

and format: half a eurorack box 3U, digital menu with a row of
encoders. that sort of thing.
?? (duh, just musing)
Old 12th August 2017
Gear Guru

all these little boutiques and volca's, it's all Korgs fault I reckon, if they had never come up with 'Gadget Idea' we wouldn't have all these tiny shrinky dink machines with no seperate outs..

what makes me laugh is all these super pro producers talking about these tiny boxes in front of their 100k monitoring & giant 200k mixing consoles..

I guess you could buy multiple units, one for each drum sound, prolly still cheaper than a real 808..
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
What's your reasoning for canceling? Did you not know something about the TR08 you just found out? I think this is the only opportunity you'll have for an 808 remake. There's the Miami for 3 times more money if you want, the TR08 is a smaller sized 808. What more do you want without paying thousands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekto View Post
Watching Egyptian lover demo it was a bit cringe.
I think it's fair to say that everyone knows that video is crap by now and most likely no where near how the TR-08 actually is. The level and sound matching is all over the place; obviously programmed insanely bad.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search