The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-08 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
That's because you're him with a new login alias after you got called out posting this stuff pretending it wasn't you in that other thread.

FilmNMusicman and KeyKatt share the same IP address.

Da fuuuuuuck, is that real?

if so then keykatt is a real keytwat
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

It just upsets me that the can fit all of those CV jacks on the SE-02 but can't even put 1/8 individual outs on the boutique drum machines. I know it would make them cost a little bit more to build but then I might seriously consider them. I'm sick of modern drum machines only having stereo outputs in anything other than the high end. I mean the Drumbrute can have them why not other cheaper drum machines?
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post

I'm guessing at this point, but it's a mighty fine guess. And could turn out to be 100% true.
Old 11th August 2017
Gear Nut
Does anybody know if the TR-08 will feature the famous “trigger out” sound that was used on so many Egyptian Lover records? The TR8 (green machine) omitted it and it was an Easter egg in Nepheton. I love that sound and it would be fantastic if it was included on the new TR-08.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrumjaago View Post
Does anybody know if the TR-08 will feature the famous “trigger out” sound that was used on so many Egyptian Lover records? The TR8 (green machine) omitted it and it was an Easter egg in Nepheton. I love that sound and it would be fantastic if it was included on the new TR-08.
There is a trigger out socket on the top, so... ...yes?
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It does have a trigger out.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is a trigger out socket on the top, so... ...yes?
Quote:
Dedicated, track-selectable trigger output for controlling external instruments
Although, who knows what it sounds like? I've heard that it's now digital.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, I just heard that the trigger out sound is the only true analogue voice in the TR-08. Roland are quirky, eh?

Old 11th August 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
It does have a trigger out.
I realize it has a trigger out, I’m asking if the trigger out will make the same SOUND as the original machine. It’s been used on a number of records and it’s a very Kraftwerk-y sharp sound. My TB03 trigger out doesn’t make this sound nor does my MC-202, or any other gear I own with a “trigger out”. Hell, my 707’s trigger out is the rim shot. I’ve only ever heard the 808 make the “trigger out” sound I’m describing. Does it make sense what I’m asking?
https://youtu.be/vhy2dU1hZOY

Last edited by vrumjaago; 11th August 2017 at 02:27 AM.. Reason: added YouTube link
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I realize it has a trigger out, I’m asking if the trigger out will make the same SOUND as the original machine. It’s been used on a number of records and it’s a very Kraftwerk-y sharp sound. My TB03 trigger out doesn’t make this sound nor does my MC-202, or any other gear I own with a “trigger out”. Hell, my 707’s trigger out is the rim shot. I’ve only ever heard the 808 make the “trigger out” sound I’m describing. Does it make sense what I’m asking?
I know exactly what you're saying. If the 09 doesn't have this sound, i'm betting the 08 won't.
Old 11th August 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
I know exactly what you're saying. If the 09 doesn't have this sound, i'm betting the 08 won't.
It doesn’t surprise me that it’s not present on the TR-09 as it wasn’t present on the original machine which is why I’m curious if they added to the TR-08. After all, it was a circuit, it was analog, and it had behavior. ;-P
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

So a bunch of the controls on this thing will be midi mappable but arent on the front and are critical such as pitch. What would be good computerless midi controller that i could save a preset for the Tr08 that is just as small and portable? No computer!
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm guessing at this point, but it's a mighty fine guess. And could turn out to be 100% true.
Definitely
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought the trigger is tunable now, while still digital. How do they do that???
Old 11th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
So a bunch of the controls on this thing will be midi mappable but arent on the front and are critical such as pitch. What would be good computerless midi controller that i could save a preset for the Tr08 that is just as small and portable? No computer!
Maybe an Akai MPKmini? It's the same size as the TB-03, but I have not tried to direct connect the two...

Last edited by Staticbuster; 11th August 2017 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Have you got any references for the TB-03 and TR-09 getting by with ARMs for the ACB part? The one boutique I've seen a teardown of, the JP-08 (here and on Markus Fuller's channel), uses an 24MHz ARM uC for the control panel and an ESC for the ACB. I'd assume that all ACB Boutiques uses the same basic architecture, which also makes me wonder why you think that the TR-08 would use the ESC2 chips (again, any refs?).

Oh, and I keep seeing the ESC chips referred to as FPGAs here on GS (by you...). Do you have any reference for that? (I don't think they're FPGAs)

Edit: Ninja'd by DP while searching for facts and collecting references. I still would like to see a reference for ESC being an FPGA.
The only references I could find were people who disassembled the machines and said FPGA, but nothing authoritative beyond that. It might in fact be a DSP system-on-a-chip; I really don't know if it's actually a Field-Programmable-Gate-Array IC or not. I made the assumption it was an FPGA because of the number and how the "Plug-Outs" were stored on the the System-1 and System-1m, but I really can't find any hard facts on the topic.

I meant the TR-8 has ESC2, but I imagine that the TR-08 has something different, considering the higher rate and resolution.

If you know the differences in technology or even just the name of the chips the System-8 uses; I'm more than happy to correct myself.
Old 11th August 2017
Deleted User 
Quote:
Does anybody know if the TR-08 will feature the famous “trigger out” sound that was used on so many Egyptian Lover records?
that sound was generated by the TR-808's ACcent trigger out. Supposedly the trigger out on the TR-08 is assignable [citation needed]. With the TR-808 you just run a jack cable to your desk [line input] or a analog-synth with a trigger in and put a pattern down on the ACcent steps on the 808. And you will get those egyptian lover blips.
Old 11th August 2017
Quote:
https://youtu.be/vhy2dU1hZOY
I had a CR5000 up until last year that had that same trigger out sound. I sampled it before I sold it.
Old 11th August 2017
Deleted User 
Quote:
It doesn’t surprise me that it’s not present on the TR-09 as it wasn’t present on the original machine which is why I’m curious if they added to the TR-08. After all, it was a circuit, it was analog, and it had behavior. ;-P
The sound was in the sequencer not the trigger out, so if they have modeled the sequencer behavior it should sound the same I guess.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post

Check out his cross post in the SH-01A thread.

It's 100% sure he's back to shilling his vids under a new alias.

So weird. He must make himself sick doing that.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
It just upsets me that the can fit all of those CV jacks on the SE-02 but can't even put 1/8 individual outs on the boutique drum machines. I know it would make them cost a little bit more to build but then I might seriously consider them. I'm sick of modern drum machines only having stereo outputs in anything other than the high end. I mean the Drumbrute can have them why not other cheaper drum machines?
with the exception of the SE-02, the Boutiques share a common main board platform. the user interface boards are different, but the platform is all based on the same mainboard FPGA
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Nice to see it has fills! I don't think the TR-8 did.
Of course the original had it. You serious?
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:

TOTAL deal-breaker for me. I need at least 8 analog outs for studio use. And no, the outputs over USB is NOT the same thing, as that feature will not work 6 years from now anyway.

I hate when companies skimp on analog outs!

For this reason, the R8 is one of their best. (after the 808 & 909)
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Finally got the chance to listen to the Egyptian Lover demo with my decent headphones on.

Yeah, it sounds very different next to the real thing. It still sounds good on it's own right, but yeah there is no doubting the real one there, especially in the clap.

NOTHING prepared me for the length of the 808s clap when I first bought it - it's a huge thing! I stick a gate on it most of the time to calm it down a bit

The 808 clap is pretty vanilla when compared to the clap in the Vermona DRM.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Tea View Post
I'm gonna try to say what I want to say and then be quiet.

Ha ha ha - yeah right.

So far the demos don't really sound like the real thing but that's OK. It still sounds really cool and for this price it's awesome.

In my head I'm calling this this device - the 808U.

U for updated, it has midi it has rapid fire 32 and 64 notes. U for useful - it's small you can integrate with modern software based systems. You can take it on tour you can spill a drink on it.

So what I'm trying to say is it's not a TR808, it's a useful 808. 808U. It can do most everything that the original can, and a bunch of stuff that it couldn't ... but it is not the original and it doesn't actually sound 100% the same. Which is OK, it's not the same instrument. Which is fine.

In the demo the guy says how it's just like the orig and then plays swing note-repeat hats the the OG can never do (video below) and that's where the frustration comes in - when you are told it's the same and your senses know different right away. Egyptian Lover demo is an example of this too.

So ... If you just move that aside and accept it as a new instrument - the 808U - a the portable and useful mini 808 - it's a really cool new toy, I want one!

If I bring an original 808 into the studio plug it into a board though - it's a whole different sound world. Which is OK, it's not the same instrument.

proftea

The original CAN do something that the new boutiques cannot, and that is give you 10 bonafide analog outputs. (no, outputs over USB is not the same thing)
Old 11th August 2017
Deleted User 
Quote:
there is prob a chance [maybe in hell] that cyclone analogic will come along with a TT-808 & 909 offering individual outs for each drum sound. But yeah Roland have failed a considerable bit by not offering individual outs on the TR-08/09 unless you do it via USB.
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear

What about the Miami?
Old 11th August 2017
Lives for gear
Individual outputs are definitely a niche market for people who already have a mountain of gear in a studio that doesn't move much. It's great if you have mixers, patch bays, and a huge collection of guitar pedals.

Otherwise, it's not going to be able to run on battery power and the portability would be compromised. The size alone should be an indicator that this isn't designed for the application that individual outputs entail. Get something more expensive, Acidlab Miami, MFB Tanzbar, Vermona, Jomox, etc.

I would prefer the TR-09 or TR-08 that sound good with a single stereo output over the Drumbrute that NEEDS FX on every channel to sound as good as the Boutiques.
Old 11th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALESIS-ION View Post
The original CAN do something that the new boutiques cannot, and that is give you 10 bonafide analog outputs. (no, outputs over USB is not the same thing)
Yeah I agree individual outs are important and a missed opportunity here. For portability and quick usability the new instrument is cool, but like I said in my post take the original one into a studio and that's a whole different sound world ...
Old 11th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALESIS-ION View Post
Of course the original had it. You serious?
@Rogue was talking about the TR8 - not the original, right?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search