The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elektron Analog Four as the centerpiece? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenway View Post
neither can really compare classic analogues or better newer options like the OB-6 or even the Prophet 08.
It may be a matter of taste but I find DM12 superior to Prophet 08. The filter in DM12 is way better than the curtis filter on P08, I'm not sure if anyone can think otherwise after playing both.

OB-6 may have better tone but not so much better that the price tag suggests - and of course OB-6 is much more limited in modulation options.

As for A4, it is not suitable for making classic analog tones. But it is a fun synth and is capable of sounding nice in the right hands, I'll give it that. But in my hands, DM12 sounds better.
Old 3rd July 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
It may be a matter of taste but I find DM12 superior to Prophet 08. The filter in DM12 is way better than the curtis filter on P08, I'm not sure if anyone can think otherwise after playing both.

OB-6 may have better tone but not so much better that the price tag suggests - and of course OB-6 is much more limited in modulation options.

As for A4, it is not suitable for making classic analog tones. But it is a fun synth and is capable of sounding nice in the right hands, I'll give it that. But in my hands, DM12 sounds better.
It clearly is a matter of taste as I have both the DM12 and the Prophet 8 and I much prefer the Prophet

In fact, if I had to rank them it would be the 8, the 4 then the 12 (the 12 gets used less by me as there is no split/layer- even the P8 can do 2 different programs split or layered (the A4 can do 4) and this makes a masive difference to me....with the DM12 you have one sound at a time, not so great for sequencing or interesting when played live)
Old 3rd July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiC View Post
Its great on any synth with CV, but the more CV options you have the more fun as on just one CV you can make a P locked velocity enveloped gate CV with a fading in LFO modulated by a second LFO and the second maybe a 1v/o pitch with fading in vibrato lfo etc etc....probability & conditional on another linear output to say filter and maybe another envelope to somewhere else....lots of options- bring your synth with no effects (for me the modular or P 08) back through the A4 and you have an FX track you can modulate/P lock....etc.

And if people cant make anything they like the sound of with an A4 then shame on them! Check this out using the A4 as an FM Drum synth...https://www.elektronauts.com/t/a4-fm...tch-pack/39836
These fm patches sound really nice!
I'd like to design some of those patches myself.
Any idea where to start, is it just mainly fm from the lfo to the oscillators?
Will definitely check out the cv sequencing of my phatty!
Old 5th July 2017
Gear Addict

What is up with the strange behaviour of the resonance of the filters?
Using the 4 pole filter with a lot of resonance dialled in I cannot create a resonance peak throughout the frequency spectrum.
On higher frequency settings it spikes in unpleasant ways, but as soon as I turn down the frequency the resonance just disappears.
That means I cannot create a smooth filter sweep where the resonance thickens the sound around the cutoff point.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djones View Post
These fm patches sound really nice!
I'd like to design some of those patches myself.
Any idea where to start, is it just mainly fm from the lfo to the oscillators?
Will definitely check out the cv sequencing of my phatty!
To get FM, you scroll the oscillator multiplier until you hit an icon of a tuning fork with a 1k or 2k, meaning a x2000 multiplier of oscillator rate that tracks pitch. Direct it at pitch or filter (or whatever suits your fancy). Some base speeds (top left knob, the one that takes the multiplier) work better than others. If I recall, multiples of 16 are more musical. Dial in depth to taste, target an envelope to mod depth, and you're ready to go.
Old 6th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy View Post
To get FM, you scroll the oscillator multiplier until you hit an icon of a tuning fork with a 1k or 2k, meaning a x2000 multiplier of oscillator rate that tracks pitch. Direct it at pitch or filter (or whatever suits your fancy). Some base speeds (top left knob, the one that takes the multiplier) work better than others. If I recall, multiples of 16 are more musical. Dial in depth to taste, target an envelope to mod depth, and you're ready to go.
Thanks, I will try this
Old 6th July 2017
R7P
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djones View Post
What is up with the strange behaviour of the resonance of the filters?
Using the 4 pole filter with a lot of resonance dialled in I cannot create a resonance peak throughout the frequency spectrum.
On higher frequency settings it spikes in unpleasant ways, but as soon as I turn down the frequency the resonance just disappears.
That means I cannot create a smooth filter sweep where the resonance thickens the sound around the cutoff point.
I was just working with the A4 today and wishing it had two multi mode filters instead of that ladder filter. It's frustrating to work with. I almost damaged my hearing one time by bringing up the filter cutoff while using headphones.

The best advice I can give is to keep the resonance below 70 for a non self resonating 303ish acid sorta sound. It actually works great for that purpose. If your really wanting reso sweeps keep the resonance under 110 or so or else it introduces alot of extra noise and just try to stay away from opening the filter too far.

Otherwise you are better of just using filter 2 for high resonance sounds.
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for the tips, I too have struggling with getting the resonance right (admittedly - res is y a huge part of my typical sound designs)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search