The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
anyone else underwhelmed with modern poly synths? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

I think what really matters after awhile, if you like a particular instrument, is the familiarity with that instrument, above all. It can be anything, anything at all; at the point where you're making music with it instead of "testing" it and competing online about it, it's the right one, period.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
That's the beauty of having so many choices each with a different personality.
I've owned the P08, Q (+ Phoenix), PolySix, JP-8, Juno 6/60/106, P-12, and OB8 from your list above and of them all, the only one I've kept has been the JP-8.

Your go-to synth will be different than mine and that's OK. Feel fortunate if you've had the chance to play a bunch of different ones so you can decide for yourself what works best.

If you slag off the old stuff (or new stuff) without actually spending hands-on time with them then that's not so cool.

Hearing a synth is different than playing a synth.
Glad you enjoy the jp8 as a synth tool.

I agree with you in part but having a sheer variety of synths is the spice of life.at the end of the day,
Electronic music is not defined by expensive polys like the jp8.i write that as advice to anyone reading this that is thinking that expensive and over hyped polys of a vintage heritage are the holy grail. They are not.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Addict

A bit late to the party but, consecutive replies to this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
Personally I only get on forums like this when I'm bored at work or taking a sh*t so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
That's me too, except add aftertouch to that...
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell View Post
Electronic music is not defined by expensive polys like the jp8.i write that as advice to anyone reading this that is thinking that expensive and over hyped polys of a vintage heritage are the holy grail. They are not.
Please send Roland a copy of this.

Maybe they will stop telling us that "this" (JD-800, JP8000, JP-08, etcetera) is their "new" version of the Jupiter 8. They'll probably just knock it off after receiving this information.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Addict
OP here, wondering if you guys can help me figure something out... I'm considering an Omega 8 (yes, a MODERN poly!!!) and am wondering what the difference is between the Omega and Code? The Omega I'm looking at has the Moog, Obie SEM and CS-80 filters (all 8x as it's an 8 voice) and discrete OP amps.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
OP here, wondering if you guys can help me figure something out... I'm considering an Omega 8 (yes, a MODERN poly!!!) and am wondering what the difference is between the Omega and Code? The Omega I'm looking at has the Moog, Obie SEM and CS-80 filters (all 8x as it's an 8 voice) and discrete OP amps.
I'm not entirely sure, but I've been G.A.S.ing for an Omega 8 since forever. I've got their ATC-X QFS and Boomstar SEM and they both sound amazing, especially for the price. If you like the demos, be prepared to love them in person.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I'm not entirely sure, but I've been G.A.S.ing for an Omega 8 since forever. I've got their ATC-X QFS and Boomstar SEM and they both sound amazing, especially for the price. If you like the demos, be prepared to love them in person.
Glad to hear that! I'm not quite 100% sold on the Omega/Code demos I've heard yet, but am remaining very open to the idea of getting one as it's got a lot of pluses, imo. Again, coming back to the sonic character thing... pick just about any vintage analog poly demo and compare to the SE Omega/Code and in most cases the vintage will have more character to the sound. I'm no scientist, I have no idea what it's a result of- if I knew, I'd apply it to new tech. Anyways, modern synths are much more appealing to me from a reliability standpoint and, while I never thought I'd let such a thing determine what I buy on this insane hunt for sonic perfection, it actually is central to my decision now. So I'm mainly looking at new synths now, or 'stable' old ones.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Here's the details on the Code:

C.O.D.E.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Get the Code. Code has a sine Wave, a little more possibilities and little more convenient.
Code hasn't arpeggiator.
But its has some bugs in Omega.

You can safe money from the beginning if you will buy Code 4(or Code 2) first and then you may add a next voice cards whenever you want.
Same story with additional filters.
You can buy one CS-80 filter only for 1 voice and then add next filters anytime.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Glad to hear that! I'm not quite 100% sold on the Omega/Code demos I've heard yet, but am remaining very open to the idea of getting one as it's got a lot of pluses, imo. Again, coming back to the sonic character thing... pick just about any vintage analog poly demo and compare to the SE Omega/Code and in most cases the vintage will have more character to the sound. I'm no scientist, I have no idea what it's a result of- if I knew, I'd apply it to new tech. Anyways, modern synths are much more appealing to me from a reliability standpoint and, while I never thought I'd let such a thing determine what I buy on this insane hunt for sonic perfection, it actually is central to my decision now. So I'm mainly looking at new synths now, or 'stable' old ones.
I don't find them to have any less character, just different character. For me, the ability to play more expressively surpasses any vintage mojo that might exist, and honestly I'm not even sure I agree it does. To me, the difference is just a difference and I judge every synth on it's on merits. For instance, I'm a big Pink Floyd fan, so I was excited to check out the Prophet 6's Prophet 5 presets, particularly the one used in "One Of My Turns." To me it sounds great. It totally captures the flavor of that track (though of course it's hard to tell exactly considering that track was recorded to tape and then produced with who knows what). Similarly I was surprised that they used the Prophet 6 all over the Stranger Things soundtrack. To my ears the soundtrack doesn't sound "modern" at all. It totally captures the vibe of the era. (I was the age of the older brother during that time, so I remember it well...)

However, I'm frequently told I'm wrong on all accounts.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by base615 View Post
A bit late to the party but, consecutive replies to this thread:

Old 13th January 2017
Deleted User
I used this on my CS-40m, now it is as good as those modern synths!
Attached Thumbnails
anyone else underwhelmed with modern poly synths?-mark-hack.jpg  
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

I've not read the rest of this thread but I have to say the DeepMind 12 has been a breath of fresh air as far as modern polys go, and for it to be 12 voice analogue is just amazing. It gives me that round warm tone that I primarily use analogue synths for but with a load of extra functionality you don't usually see on analogues.

I really like the Minilogue as well, and while it's no DeepMind 12, it definitley has it's place in my studio and again, has a great tone and workflow.

The Roland JD-XA is amazing as well, albeit not as instantly gratifying as the DM12, or have as good a workflow, it is capable of some immense huge sounds when you put a bit of time in that can't be matched on any other single hardware synth on it's own IMO.

I've never been happier with the modern polysynth market tbh.
Old 14th January 2017
Quote:
.... I'm not quite 100% sold on the Omega/Code demos I've heard.....
I'm sold.....just not $6500 sold.

Old 1st February 2017
Here for the gear
Jomox Sunsyn mk2...hands down
Old 1st February 2017
Old 1st February 2017
Deleted User
Chroma Polaris | Paul's Boutique
And this is in Canadian $$$$
That's $764 U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB View Post
Old 1st February 2017
Why do I get the feeling someone is pimping their Chroma Polaris.
Old 1st February 2017
Deleted User
Not mine! I live 180 miles away from that city called Toronto to the NORTH and EAST!

But if you want a Chroma Polaris, be my guest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Old 1st February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Not mine! I live 180 miles away from that city called Toronto to the NORTH and EAST!

But if you want a Chroma Polaris, be my guest!
I listened to a few demos. It's a nice sounding synth!
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Chroma Polaris | Paul's Boutique
And this is in Canadian $$$$
That's $764 U.S.
All the better! More Polarii for everyone =)
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Busted... Pimping is an understatement, but I think you might like the writeup at least =)
Old 1st February 2017
Gear Maniac

Thread's run its course. Settle down now please Slutz.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search