The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
anyone else underwhelmed with modern poly synths? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Another vote for Diva. It's inspiring enough to ditch new polysynths.

I don't like their character either. If you want vintage character from new synths, it's simply not there. With a few exceptions in mono synths.

The Dreadbox Abyss seems to fill this gap, let's wait and see. Maybe things will go into a different direction upon it's release.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

If someone could put Diva in a hardware case with loads of knobs I would buy it.
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
I disagree that modern polys sound lack luster, I think the real problem is that you're trying to substitute the OB-8 with another instrument that isn't an OB-8.

To be honest I think this is the real problem with all old vs new analogs. People that are tuned in to the sound of a certain old poly approach the new ones as a possible replacement. Let's all agree that they will never be a replacement for those synths, but in my humble opinion they can still be fantastic instruments when taken for what they are, and not for what they aren't.

Finally, I think you should probably try to get an OB-8 again since it's obviously the sound you're after. Nothing else is going to satisfy.
No, that's not the case. I actually prefer the sounds of 'crappy' old polys like the Poly 61 to the vast majority of new polys I've owned/tried. I'm not looking for the OB-8 in other synths- that's stupid and no other synth could cop that sound-, I'm just looking for a gritty and organic old synth sound, whatever form it presents itself in. I'm 26 by the way, so my quest for that vintage tone doesn't come from chasing nostalgia- I'm just more drawn to the vintage tones, which in my OP I made clear I'd happily get from a plugin.
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Nope, modern analog poly's are more than capable enough to make good music with.
You've missed the point entirely. Good music can be made on absolutely anything, nobody is denying that- that wasn't even brought up anywhere in the thread. This is about the sonic characteristics of synths. Everyones interpretation of sound is completely unique, thus it being an entirely subjective thing. I think there's some correlation between tone and 'good music', but that's not what I'm trying to explore in this thread. Purely sharing my experience and trying to see if there's maybe some modern alternatives that'll get me where I want to go. The OB-8 is a relatively stable vintage synth so I might just end up getting another, though, as mentioned above, I'm *not* exclusively chasing an OB-8 sound.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Old Ferrari vs new Ferrari. Same kind of thing. Depends what you're looking for.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
No, that's not the case. I actually prefer the sounds of 'crappy' old polys like the Poly 61 to the vast majority of new polys I've owned/tried. I'm not looking for the OB-8 in other synths- that's stupid and no other synth could cop that sound-, I'm just looking for a gritty and organic old synth sound, whatever form it presents itself in. I'm 26 by the way, so my quest for that vintage tone doesn't come from chasing nostalgia- I'm just more drawn to the vintage tones, which in my OP I made clear I'd happily get from a plugin.
Yeah the Poly 61 sound great, instant BOC.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Sound View Post
instant BOC.
That's kinda like an instant coffee equivalent.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
That's kinda like an instant coffee equivalent then.
Yeah I see what you mean, I wasn't being literal, but hey, instant coffee it's better than no coffee, right?
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

And another vote for Diva. Yep i know its a softsynth but i prefer the sound of Diva over the new poly-analogs from DSI.
Heresy ? Maybe but seriously Diva + soundtoys fx is hard to beat. Waiting for the Deepmind 12 though.
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Addict
I will definitely try Diva out, lots of you guys are recommending it. Will download the demo today! What all synths is it meant to emulate? or is it its own thing that offers endless sound sculpting that'll get me into that vintage tonal realm?
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
To the people who didn't gel with the P6 - do/did you like the sound of a P5?
Absolutely LOVE the P5, night and day difference, imo.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely LOVE the P5, night and day difference, imo.
That's... disappointing. I want to want a P6.
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_e View Post
Found the same thing, I sold my prophet 08 and then sold the 6. (Thought I was the only one) I do like my polymath though as a modern poly synth. I think Dave smith is doing a great thing putting out these new synths however I don't know what it is but to me, it does feel like the tone I'm personally looking for just isn't there.
That's so funny, I also thought I was the only one who couldn't get into those synths... Especially the P~6- seems like it has a massive following and everyone loves it, but it just didn't work out for me...
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's so funny, I also thought I was the only one who couldn't get into those synths... Especially the P~6- seems like it has a massive following and everyone loves it, but it just didn't work out for me...
Nope. Bought a P6 when it was first released. Couldn't connect with it and sold it at a loss. Then I used it on a session in a nice studio with a live band and that didn't change how I felt about it.
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
That's... disappointing. I want to want a P6.
Well, it's been discussed in great depth before, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. The P~6 isn't really a P~5 revamp, it's a new thing altogether, the only real commonality, imo, being the Prophet moniker and (to an extent) aesthetic.
If you had a 5 and 6 side by side you'd find the same thing I describe in my OP, that the new one sounds almost anemic in comparison. The P~6 still has a sound that's plenty usable and capable of making great music, but as with anything else on earth, not everything is for everyone... Try one out, you might just fall in love with it. I definitely prefer the OB-6 to the P~6, though I only had a short while with the OB yesterday for the first time. I can now say that I completely understand the 'hype' around vintage after a few years of first hand experience.

Question for you guys:

How many folks have gone to new poly synths from some choice vintage ones and actually preferred the sonic characteristics of the new ones? I can understand modern comfort features making new synths more appealing, but speaking of core tonality, did you actually prefer the new one?
Old 18th December 2016
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
I owned an OB-8 for a while, which I only realized the greatness of once it was gone.
Why not buying it back and go making music with it instead of wasting precious time on various forums.

This whole album was made with OB-8 and an Akai sampler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5R6EYHS-NU

If i'd be in the music making mood such as you, i'd grab one and start recording right away. Forums are 80% waste of time, 20% useful info.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, it's been discussed in great depth before, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. The P~6 isn't really a P~5 revamp, it's a new thing altogether, the only real commonality, imo, being the Prophet moniker and (to an extent) aesthetic.
If you had a 5 and 6 side by side you'd find the same thing I describe in my OP, that the new one sounds almost anemic in comparison. The P~6 still has a sound that's plenty usable and capable of making great music, but as with anything else on earth, not everything is for everyone... Try one out, you might just fall in love with it. I definitely prefer the OB-6 to the P~6, though I only had a short while with the OB yesterday for the first time. I can now say that I completely understand the 'hype' around vintage after a few years of first hand experience.

Question for you guys:

How many folks have gone to new poly synths from some choice vintage ones and actually preferred the sonic characteristics of the new ones? I can understand modern comfort features making new synths more appealing, but speaking of core tonality, did you actually prefer the new one?
I've played the P6 and OB-6 in stores and will for sure spend more time with them in random stores, and there are certain sounds I like, and certain sounds I don't like. I find Dave Smith instruments to have a top end sizzle that I'm not a fan of. The OB6 seems initially to have more 'wow' factor but I think over time the more delicate sound of the P6 might be better suited for me.

I've spent time with some more famous vintage synths occasionally, but the only analog poly I own is a Juno 60 - I love it, it never, ever sounds bad and I'll keep it forever, but it's not very versatile and isn't quite in the big leagues. I want a Prophet 5.

For the music I make for myself (and bands/artists I produce), I want/need a vintage sounding synth/sound. I was hoping the Prophet 6 was the answer to my problem. I don't see any alternative, really, unless you spend 4x more...

Anyway, just thinking/moaning out loud...

Cheers,

Ed

Last edited by The Beatsmith; 18th December 2016 at 10:08 PM..
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

The mini-moog reissue has 3 oscillators. Why can't they add 2 osc and have one-note per oscillator 5 voice?

No crazy modulation, no step sequencer, etc. just five of those heavenly oscillators and the moog filter?

The raw sound would be epic. There is nothing like that we can get today.
Old 18th December 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Forums are 80% waste of time, 20% useful info.
True, but not the stance usually taken by a moderator.
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Guru

Couldn't agree more. But I'll have to kill your theory of mellowing parts, because those old synths already sounded alive and sweet, new in the shop in the mid 80's......
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
I will definitely try Diva out, lots of you guys are recommending it. Will download the demo today! What all synths is it meant to emulate? or is it its own thing that offers endless sound sculpting that'll get me into that vintage tonal realm?
You sound like you hear it like me. If you do, don't pin too much hope on Diva....didn't work for me. Certainly not 'vintage tones' but also felt like I couldn't fit the sound in music easily. Big and impressive yet didn't sit down.
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Maniac

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Timbre Wolf?
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
True, but not the stance usually taken by a moderator.
The ratio is actually at best 90/10.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
The mini-moog reissue has 3 oscillators. Why can't they add 2 osc and have one-note per oscillator 5 voice?
Unfortunately, for five voices you'd also need four extra filters, eight extra envelopes and four extra VCAs. Plus each voice needs to be controlled by a single set of front panel pots which means that each parameter has to be under voltage or digital control which means a lot more additional circuitry.

That said a polyphonic Minimoog would be a wonderful thing.

The closest I have to anything like that is DIVA which as others have commented upon is a super sounding synth. I sold all my analogue polysynths once I realised that DIVA could do the job for me. Actually I still have my Alpha Juno 2 but that's mainly because I like the keybed and I use it as my master midi controller.
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
You sound like you hear it like me. If you do, don't pin too much hope on Diva....didn't work for me. Certainly not 'vintage tones' but also felt like I couldn't fit the sound in music easily. Big and impressive yet didn't sit down.
That's how I felt about Diva too.
Old 19th December 2016
Deleted User
you guys have now convinced me to buy a Timbre Wolf!
Old 19th December 2016
Lives for gear

There are several "vintage/modern" analog polysynths that can hang with many of the classic vintage polys. The Andromeda and Sunsyn come to mind. The SE Code has "that SE sound" that's not quite vintage, but doesn't sound like most other modern polys either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post

No crazy modulation, no step sequencer, etc. just five of those heavenly oscillators and the moog filter?

The raw sound would be epic. There is nothing like that we can get today.
You can easily get that today. Reissue + 2X AJH Minimod VCOs + STG .mix -> Model D external input. Or some variation on that theme. Dotcom, mos-lab, Macbeth VCOs + any CP3-style mixer -> Model D.
Old 19th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstyleee View Post
Totally agree!

I am very happy with my modern analogue poly's but I want a modern analogue sound! Dare I say it on GS but I don't want too much of that old vintage sound, it just makes my tracks sound erm old and vintage...
This is a good point. I love old polys but when you stick those kinda sounds in a track it always becomes such a retro lot.
Old 19th December 2016
PES
Lives for gear

lardpass filter

Quote:
Is it maybe just a matter of finding the right things to process with externally? I'm open to any recommendations!
I have yet to try this with a poly specifically, but the Minifooger Drive, even with the filter wide open, removes a lot of top end and adds fullness to things. Sometimes too much, but other times it's just the right thing.

Moogerfooger 101, a bit similar, but the filter can be opened more (and is a regular LP filter, so more predictable to work with), and the envelope follower in fast mode can do very nice things to a signal when used subtly (life, movement).
Old 19th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Nope, modern analog poly's are more than capable enough to make good music with.
of course they are, this is just peoples minds being silly as usual..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search